New geocaching idea....

Greetings all,

Ok this idea may not be new to everyone but its new to me. I was thinking of making a fake electrical outlet box and camo-ing it and maybe putting on a tree or a fence post. The only thing inside of it is a waterproof match box and a log. Is this in violation of any rules? I would put "Bring a screwdriver" on the suggestion.

Na, that doesn't violate any rules but I have trouble seeing what you are trying to accomplish. I wouldn't Put it "on" a tree. Meaning, I wouldn't screw it into it. And if you were going to put it "on" a fence, I would get permission.

Electrical box hides are not new. Whats been done in the past is the use of magnets to hold the face on it so it can be opened without a screwdriver, But if you wanted a screw driver to be part of the hunt you can do that and list it as special equipment.

BUT, if you are going to make it so some one has to unscrew an electrical outlet, that its not too close to live boxes. you don't want some one mistakenly opening a live box and getting a zap.

Though it would be cool finding something like this in a forest 2 things come to mind. "hurting" the tree by screwing it in (And getting the permission to do it from land managers) and echoing the sentiment of Kryten, with encouraging people to open electrical fittings.

I have seen a few lamp posts that were pried open in an area of GZ (when cache was adjacent to a LPC).

Keep up with the cool thoughts, would like to see more cool hides!

Cheers, Doc!

If you did do it, you don't have to screw it to the tree. Make a little post with some rebar or PVC pipe and attach it on that, then planting it against the tree, instead of on it.

But I would also go with the magnetic cover, or just attach by one screw, so the plate can be rotated out of the way.

In the woods, I don't expect to find *too many* outlets, so this might be hilarious to see. Or maybe that is just through my newb's eyes. :laughing:

And I have already decided that I don't dismantle equipment......people do have to use some common sense, after all. <yeah, I know....people don't>

Edited by MightyParagon

In the woods, I don't expect to find *too many* outlets, so this might be hilarious to see. Or maybe that is just through my newb's eyes. :laughing:

On Friday, my son and I found an open field with a water faucet in it. no pad... no support for the faucet, just a line up out of the ground and the faucet mounted vertically. there was a cache about 80 feet from it, but the initial thought was "it had to be there".

not really sure what the faucet was for, it didn't work and didn't appear to have been used in quite a while.

Outside of screwing to a tree, which is not a good idea anyway, and the need (?) of a screwdriver to open it...

Why would you camouflage something that obviously does not belong somewhere to begin with (am guessing that you are speaking of paint/camo tape)? An electrical box in the woods? Wouldn't that sort of be like sending good money after bad money? If you are to put it in the woods, it is going to be so out-of-place, why bother to camouflage it at all? I must admit though, I have found a few (eye-level) birdhouses in the woods literally miles from anything -- including a road! Needless to say, it was an "I found it" without ever getting to it yet!

I suppose if nothing else, it is a way of attracting a geocacher's attention, eh? Certainly different than the pile of sticks beacon.

Go for it, leave the attachment screws in the toolbox though. :laughing:

HINT: for the coverplate, use only one screw at the top, loosely. Geocachers then could simply swing the plate up to retrieve the container from within. No need for a screwdriver.

I was just going to ask about mounting to a 2" x 4" and sticking it in the ground next to a tree. Ok 1 screw and no camo...this should work fine. Thanks :laughing:

How were you going to stick it in the ground?

From guidelines:

"Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method. "

Edited by buttaskotch

I was just going to ask about mounting to a 2" x 4" and sticking it in the ground next to a tree. Ok 1 screw and no camo...this should work fine. Thanks :laughing:

From guidelines:

"Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.

Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method. "

I was just planning on pushing it down a natural crack in the soul and maybe hammer it a little but now Im thinking just forget it.

I was just going to ask about mounting to a 2" x 4" and sticking it in the ground next to a tree. Ok 1 screw and no camo...this should work fine. Thanks :)

From guidelines:

I was just planning on pushing it down a natural crack in the soul and maybe hammer it a little but now Im thinking just forget it.

don't let them break your will!

:laughing:

I found an electrical outlet box the other week stuck to a lamp post. Was looking for the cache, got distracted and leaned a little hard on the one box and was pretty sure I used my super human strength to destroy city property. I didn't.

They used magnets to attach the box to the lamp post and sealed the weather proof outlet covers were glued down. There was a hinge on the cover part so no screw driver involved. Magnets held the cover closed. I personally wouldn't be encouraging people to dismantle outlets.

Greetings all,

Ok this idea may not be new to everyone but its new to me. I was thinking of making a fake electrical outlet box and camo-ing it and maybe putting on a tree or a fence post. The only thing inside of it is a waterproof match box and a log. Is this in violation of any rules? I would put "Bring a screwdriver" on the suggestion.

I found a cache recently in Yucca Valley, CA that was a J-Box mounted to a fence. The hint was 3 digits, the combo to the lock. Pretty neat.

I agree don't get discouraged. I have found a cache like this. one thing they did was made it a multi-cache and you had to get the screwdriver at the first stop. So there's an idea for you.....and.,

you could even put right on the box in a sly way.... like 'geo-electric cache inc.' cach-e-lectric' or something so that us non muggles would be easily clued in that it was the right box.

sounds like a fun cache. good luck and dont listen to all these old winers....invent a new and unique cache that shows them just how creative you are!!! once you do it right many if us will appreciate you for the cool hide....not just another ammo box or film cannister.