Teaching A Class

I have been asked to teach a class to other Cub Scout Leaders at our annual Cub Scout College. I am really excited and a tad bit nervous. I am not one for public speaking, but I am super excited to have more scouts out enjoying this great hobby.

If you were teaching a class what would be your must talk about topics?

Thank you in adavance for your help. I have some ideas of what I would like to discuss but what I think is important about the hobby might not be what some of you more vetrans think would be important.

Under resources on geocaching.com, there is a Guide to Geocaching you can print out. I would hand that out. I would also spend time talking about safety, you know, don't cache alone, tell people where you are going and when you will return, watch out for snakes and such when in the woods. I would also take sample cache containers to show them what they are looking for. I would also talk about respecting nature and other points of geocaching ettique. You could also show them the geocaching website and how to look up caches, download waypoints, read the logs and hints, and finally how to log a find.

Just some random thoughts....

I have been asked to teach a class to other Cub Scout Leaders at our annual Cub Scout College. I am really excited and a tad bit nervous. I am not one for public speaking, but I am super excited to have more scouts out enjoying this great hobby.

Thank you in adavance for your help. I have some ideas of what I would like to discuss but what I think is important about the hobby might not be what some of you more vetrans think would be important.

How many hours do you have available?

leaders teaching other leaders... you'll need to be able to point to resources. have some possible examples from your own workings with 5-9 age range. the other, if you can possibly walk some of them through an actual teaching experience (treating them as their eventual targeted age range), i'm sure some of the leaders will be technology-deficient and need the very basic of training.

Make a strong suggestion to the leaders when they are teaching the Cubs to use REALLY SMALL groups. I tried using small groups of 5 or 6 Scouts and that seemed like too many. Unless they have many GPS units, the screen is too small to keep a group of kids interested.

I'm teaching geocaching to the kids at church again in a few weeks. I like to start by giving them an idea of how GPS works. I tie/tape brightly colored yarn to the ceiling, or to the walls near the ceiling. Then I explain that a GPS receiver measures how far it is from the satellites. If it knows where the satellites are, and knows how far it is from them, then it can figure out where it is. To illustrate that, I have one of the kids stand up and hold the end of the yarn. I explain that the other end of the yarn is the satellite location, and the length of the yarn is the distance measured. I have the kid stretch out the yarn, and show that there is a circle of locations that could match that distance. Add a second yarn "satellite" and now there are only two locations. Add a third yarn "satellite" and now there is only one location on the floor. But then I point out that there's another location "up there" that would also work, and that adding more "satellites" lets you know where you are with more accuracy.

This is all very quick, and sounds more complicated than it is. Then I go on to the basics cache listings, especially the difficulty and size ratings, and the different types of caches. A few rules about trading ("trade up, trade even, or don't trade") and travelers, and they're ready to look for caches. In the past, I've taken the boys from our Wednesday night club program on a hike in a big park a few miles away and had them search for caches along the hike. In a few weeks, I'll take them to a corner of the church property, where I'll have several caches placed, and I'll have them raise their hands when they spot a cache.

I do not take them to the urban/suburban caches near the church. Even if I trust all the kids, I don't necessarily trust the classmates that they tell about the cool treasure box just down the street from church.