Premium Member Only Caches

Fledermaus

You can fool some of the people all of the time,

And all of the people some of the time,

But you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)

16th president of US (1809 - 1865)

But "they" keep trying!

BTW, when is someone going to realize that it's NOT fair to the geocaching community, as a whole, to have a "segregated" type of cache, accessible to only a select group?

In Jeremy's in own words:

"I, Jeremy Irish, CEO of Grounded, Inc. will never make this a pay to play web site for Geocaching. It is in the best interest of all players that the game remain free and the non-commercial sharing of these coordinates through the web site. How's that? Jeremy".

But "they" keep trying!

BTW, when is someone going to realize that it's NOT fair to the geocaching community, as a whole, to have a "segregated" type of cache, accessible to only a select group?

"I, Jeremy Irish, CEO of Grounded, Inc. will never make this a pay to play web site for Geocaching. It is in the best interest of all players that the game remain free and the non-commercial sharing of these coordinates through the web site. How's that? Jeremy".

You can get those coords without a PM account, ya just have to try harder. I have two methods.

What does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

The decision to make a cache PMO is something a cache owner decides to do, not Groundspeak.

I split the above three posts off from a thread that was discussing the June 2nd website update. The post about PM only caches was off topic to the thread where it appeared.

As for the substance of the post, a regular member still enjoys the same features present on the website at the time when premium memberships were introduced in 2002 -- plus a whole lot of new ones. There are a few more caches than there were in 2002, as well. Yes, there is a small percentage of these caches that are for premium members only. You can still log those, however.

This was a hot topic in the forums back in spring 2002. Welcome to 2010.

This was a hot topic in the forums back in spring 2002. Welcome to 2010.

Here's a 2010 topic: Why, when logged in as not a premium member, do PMO caches show up on my screen as "errors"?

When I get the weekly update, and I click on nearby caches, if one of them is a PMO cache, the title bar of my browser is "error occurred" and the title of the cache page is "An Error Has Occurred". Neither of these are true; I've followed (what appeared to be) a legitimate link from the email.

Can we either clearly mark PMO caches in the weekly emails, so I know I needn't bother clicking the links, or change the resulting page to actually explain what's going on, rather than waving "error" flags? It would be a nice usability improvement to the site.

You can still log those, however.

Mr Keystone, I beg to differ with you. What you should have said was something like this: Most Premium Members don't care if a Regular Member signs the logbook of a PMO cache.

In any case, the fact remains that one PMer in my area made a Big GC stink about that very issue, deleted my log entry(witnessed by a very well known WA. caching friend of mine), I re-posted it and it was deleted again.

Subsequently, the PMO cache owner contacted one of GC's Lackies (named withheld). According to that GC-L, a cache owner can delete whatever logs he chooses. So, I guess I can delete your name, if it ever shows up on one of my cache pages, right?

The bottom line is simply this! I don't care how you, or anybody else for that matter, tries to disguise it, restricting any caches to a select group of people, based on the "Pay to Play" principle, is Discrimination. I will not sit in the back of the GC Bus nor will I "Pay to Play"!

All GC caches should be open to all GC members. Money should not be a dividing line for having fun!

EOL/NNNN

But "they" keep trying!

Times change and circumstances change. Maybe someone in the know could tell the members what would happen if all of the premium members quit paying their membership. I can't see the big deal money wise, it's 8.2 cents a day...less then a tenth the price of a cup of coffee in a restaurant.

I see this statement as still being true.

If this is not the case, just how do you explain your 1400+ finds, only to have this incident create an issue today?

I think you are throwing stones at the wrong person, IMO.

Sorry to drag this thread back up, but two months ago I posted:

When I get the weekly update, and I click on nearby caches, if one of them is a PMO cache, the title bar of my browser is "error occurred" and the title of the cache page is "An Error Has Occurred". Neither of these are true; I've followed (what appeared to be) a legitimate link from the email.

Can we either clearly mark PMO caches in the weekly emails, so I know I needn't bother clicking the links, or change the resulting page to actually explain what's going on, rather than waving "error" flags? It would be a nice usability improvement to the site.

...and today I clicked a link in my weekly update, and voila! A pretty page explaining that this was a PMO cache, with a glossy presentation explaining the difference between PMO caches and regular caches, etc. etc.

That's exactly what was needed, Groundspeak, well done. Maybe that was already in the works but it addressed my issue perfectly.