Cache hides/founds are gone on friends-page?

cotwild

hello

is there a bug or was ist just removed?

this is one of the best features the friend-list has.. (or had) :-(

i use this page pretty often and this was the easiest way to see if a friend was caching since my last visit! why did you take it away? can't you just place a user-setting, that everyone can decide by himself if they want that counter or not?

please put it back.. i need it! :-)

thank you very much for your great work on gc..

is there a bug or was ist just removed?

There was a bug with the hide count being wrong. So they removed both the found and hide counts.

I used LilDevil's friends list enhancement script which showed the changes since your last visit. And it also turned the counts into links directly to their found and hidden lists.

A lot of functionality was lost with that removal.

I have frequently heard Geocaching referred to as a "game" and when you remove the scoreboard from the game it removes all the fun. I can tell you that quick look at my friends list to see who's leading was the quickest way to keep the interest in the game.

I know there are other ways to find the "score" but it involves way too many steps. Please bring the friends hides/finds count back!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. The friends page is pretty much useless now.

Put Jeremy on the job. He made the stats bars work. He made the profile pages (the tabs that show hide/find counts) work. I'm sure he can make the hide/find counts on the friends list work, too.

I agree... bring it back. This was the only reason I used the Friend's List. And I know that there are different ways to see the same information but extra steps and not all the friends would be shown on one page.

No point now in having this feature. I didn't care about the "hides"!

Today's release represents a significant update to Geocaching.com.

<snip many, many other updates>

• Removed find and hide count from friends list

Quick update:

A moment ago we too the site down for a few changes. We're bringing back the find/hide count on the Friend's List page since so many of you are missing it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned my poor choice of words when I said it "never" worked right. They are correct, it was only some counts that were off. From a strictly business standpoint it is a bad idea to have broken features available on the site, even if they occur infrequently. Since we didn't have time to fix it we simply removed it, but in this case perhaps the missing feature did more harm than having a semi-broken feature visible on the site. So the hide/find count is back on the Friend's List.

In a thread about the broken hide and find counts:

The solution was to remove the hides and finds from the friends page, but most people decided they would rather it be wrong sometimes, than not to be there at all. We know it's broken and will get to it when we have the time.

Then, as if they learned nothing from the previous debacle:

Bug Fixes

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

It boggles my mind that the development team would rather remove a popular feature than to make it work correctly. As I've pointed out elsewhere, the find counts are correct in the stats bars and on the profile pages. Why not just copy/paste some code from one of those, and make everyone happy again.

It is not the first time this feature was removed and then returned because of the outcry from users.

Add me to the list! :unsure:

Please fix it right or roll it back until you are able to fix it. The friends page is absolutely useless now!

Why all of a sudden is the Find counts in your friends list GONE??

That is the whole point of HAVING them as friends, so you can keep an eye on their finds!

(Ya know? Friendly competetion?)

Not happy!!!

Bring it back!!

Seriously....what is the reason they are gone??

Have you learnt nothing in doing this same action before??

Way to go to make people lose interest in competing with their friends!!

Bring it back

Bring It Back

BRING IT BACK!!!!!

Repeating my post from the Release Notes thread regarding this issue:

(OpinioNate @ Jun 8 2010, 08:14 AM)

(SnowVan @ Jun 8 2010, 12:41 AM)

It boggles my mind that OpinioNate has not yet commented on this or even acknowledge the users in this forum requesting this feature be rolled back or repaired.

Boggle is fun to say. Boggle boggle boggle.

The hides count has never updated properly, and displaying finds but not hides on that page feels wrong. We could not prioritize fixing the hide count so we removed both until we can. If it's useful to people we'll address it in another release.

(/quote)

IF, I say IF, it's useful to people?

Shirley, you jest.

Somehow, I'm not sure how, you apparently missed the massive outpouring of users clamoring for the find count to be restored. You know, it's not always WHAT is done, but HOW things are done that reveals management's priorities in regards to customer service. Instead of getting your feelings hurt by user's reactions to your well-intentioned but perhaps misguided changes, a simple, sincere sounding apology and assurance that the users wishes are being listened to would go a long way to mollifying those who are dissatisfied. How about? "Oops, we goofed. Sorry we didn't realise that was so important. We'll get it back within the week."

ON the other hand,

(OpinioNate @ Jun 8 2010, 08:14 AM)

If it's useful to people we'll address it in another release.

seemingly borders on arrogant and insulting.

That's my perception anyway.

It boggles my mind that OpinioNate has not yet commented on this or even acknowledge the users in this forum requesting this feature be rolled back or repaired.

It took Groundspeak 18 months to decide to kill off Archived Cache tools again, and Nate got to deliver the good news. I suspect Nate will comment on this when he is allowed to. Say about Christmas of 2011. Ho ho ho.

I got the following response from Groundspeak:

---

Hi Aragorn_72,,

Thanks for writing in. The website was having difficulty keeping up with the correct numbers for each friend’s find count so we had this feature removed. We understand this was a feature that our users favored, but it isn't as useful if it's not working as best as it should.

Since this is a concept that affects all geocachers, I am going to suggest that you also post this in the Geocaching.com Web site forum regarding this specific topic:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=251383

Our development team keeps a close eye on that forum as well.

---

What is so difficult to show a users find count ?????

"SELECT COUNT(ID) FROM log WHERE user='$friendname' AND type='found' GROUP BY cache_id"

or something like that.

Every Update auf Groundspeak´s site produces new troubles the it people cannot handle.

I do not know why I pay for a premium membership when with each update of the site problems appear and functions disappear...

I just wanted to say the same..

WHY THE HELL DO I PAY A PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP IF THEY DO NOT LISTEN TO OUR WISHES AT ALL???

I mean, it was working... more or less, just add something like (find/hide counts can be wrong, we're working on it) in red beneath the counter...?

give me access to that code and i'll correct it.. :-(

---

Hi Aragorn_72,,

Thanks for writing in. The website was having difficulty keeping up with the correct numbers for each friend’s find count so we had this feature removed. We understand this was a feature that our users favored, but it isn't as useful if it's not working as best as it should.

Do they even know what bugs they have??? There was nothing wrong with the find count! :blink:

I just wanted to say the same..

WHY THE HELL DO I PAY A PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP IF THEY DO NOT LISTEN TO OUR WISHES AT ALL???

I mean, it was working... more or less, just add something like (find/hide counts can be wrong, we're working on it) in red beneath the counter...?

give me access to that code and i'll correct it.. :-(

You pay for the ability to download pocket queries and access premium member only caches. Your $30/year is not a voting share in the company .....

You pay for the ability to download pocket queries and access premium member only caches. Your $30/year is not a voting share in the company .....

Exactly. I don't understand why people have this knee jerk reaction of "I'm paying them a piddly amount of money, they should do everything I say".

The best thing you can do is raise your concerns in the forums and/or email them directly. Threatening to terminate your membership wont accomplish squat.

I'm going to email them directly after reading that reply.

---

Hi Aragorn_72,,

Do they even know what bugs they have??? There was nothing wrong with the find count! :blink:

Yeah, this is completely wrong. The Find count was always correct.

Bring it back.. again!

Are you waiting for this thread to reach a certain number of complaints to do anything about this or do you seriously NOT CARE?!?!?!

SERIOUSLY!?!?!

This is making people very annoyed and you STILL haven't restored it!

There are many people who have the capability to fix this for you, even people who would do it for free so what is the freaking hold up?!

The find count was the only purpose for the friend list!!!!

You will only continue to incur more complaints and un-nice words from people UNTIL you bring back the feature that we all want!!!!!

Stop being so Arrogant and assuming that we will all give up and drop the subject!

Very very annoyed!! :)

Are you waiting for this thread to reach a certain number of complaints to do anything about this or do you seriously NOT CARE?!?!?!

SERIOUSLY!?!?!

This is making people very annoyed and you STILL haven't restored it!

There are many people who have the capability to fix this for you, even people who would do it for free so what is the freaking hold up?!

The find count was the only purpose for the friend list!!!!

You will only continue to incur more complaints and un-nice words from people UNTIL you bring back the feature that we all want!!!!!

Stop being so Arrogant and assuming that we will all give up and drop the subject!

Very very annoyed!! :)

How about waiting for the next site update? It's not worth breaking the site with a hotfix just to fix a minor inconvenience. The devs are well aware of the bug and it is nasty posts like that that makes the devs want to stay away from the forums.