An Abusive Geocacher

How do I or who do I report an abusive geocacher in my area to.

This cacher is going around accusing myself and others of tampering with caches , and moving them.

They are bad mouthing us and we want it dealt with ?

Thanks

I seriously doubt the powers that be will get involved in he-said, she-said issues.

I'd advise direct confrontation in front of witnesses (at an event maybe) or let it go and be the bigger person.

Edited by Snoogans

It's the e-mail I recently got that bothers me the most and it was sent to another local cacher.

Very nasty, and slanderous.

I have contacted this person and asked them to stop lying about me. No reply from them.

I understand it's a game, but when there bad mouthing me to other cachers in my community, I want to work towards getting it stopped.

If they're using the mail system at Geocaching.com, stop replying and report abusive emails to Groundspeak. If they're emailing you directly, you'll have to report abuse directly to their ISP.

You could also try naming and shaming on your local forum, at events, etc.

Ultimately, when someone goes off like that, they're the ones who end up looking bad. Your track record as a cacher and a contributor to your community speaks for itself.

P.S. Hope you're enjoying your CCC coins. :(

Report them?? ....just what do expect the folks at HQ to do?? Unless it was abusive or threatening and used Groundspeak servers - I don't think they will get involved.

Ban the user from their E-mail servers,suspend their caching account I don't know

After all the cacher put it in writing and sent it through GC.Com's servers

I was just asking a question.

If they're using the mail system at Geocaching.com, stop replying and report abusive emails to Groundspeak. If they're emailing you directly, you'll have to report abuse directly to their ISP.

You could also try naming and shaming on your local forum, at events, etc.

Ultimately, when someone goes off like that, they're the ones who end up looking bad. Your track record as a cacher and a contributor to your community speaks for itself.

P.S. Hope you're enjoying your CCC coins. :(

We love them and show them off when ever we can.

Maybe I'll just let it go and like you said, let my reputation superceed the slander.

Venting..........

It's the e-mail I recently got that bothers me the most and it was sent to another local cacher.

Very nasty, and slanderous.

I have contacted this person and asked them to stop lying about me. No reply from them.

I understand it's a game, but when there bad mouthing me to other cachers in my community, I want to work towards getting it stopped.

Was the email sent through geocaching.com?

Aside: Why does this kind of thing happen so often up north?

We had a genuine proven criminal preying on members in our group and folks hardly spoke up about it. He moved to another area and we discretely warned the operators of the local board and when the criminal landed himself BACK in prison they acted as if a hero had fallen. Go figure.

BTW- Groundspeak was mostly helpless to do anything other than monitor his activity on their servers.

Maybe I'll just let it go and like you said, let my reputation superceed the slander.

Bullies love it when they get to you. When you are accused, send a friendly email to the 3rd party and explain your side of it. Pretty soon the bully will be disliked by the people he/she is lying to. They love confrontation. That isn't good for you if you don't like the confrontation.

Friends of mine have lost interest in caching because of the same type of situation.

Just stand your ground but ignore the bully.

This cacher is going around accusing myself and others of tampering with caches , and moving them.

Thanks

It would be a very bad idea to "name them and shame them" in local forums and events as that will only inflame the situation. It sounds like they have mistaken you for doing something that someone else did, or are imagining that something is happening that is not. If you show anger back, it will only confirm and justify their imagination. Perhaps you could offer to buy them a beer, send them a couple of unactivated coins, or show in some other way that you have nothing against them.

If that doesn't work, then there is always "Dear Abby"... :(

I finally got a response from them....

It was a copy of an e-mail from yet another cacher, the e-mail had nothing to do with the situation and had me confused.

I replied and just asked them to stop what they were doing and to show more respect for others.

I was calm and polite.

I will not badmouth this person publicly ,that is just stooping to their level.

I will monitor the situation and let it pass in the wind

Thanks everyone

I now feel better and to be the better person.

GS does get involved in personal matters. If you have a abusive email , contact BradW. He will ban a cacher up to a year.

However, be careful of what you ask for because they may ban you as well.

Thanks

GS does get involved in personal matters. If you have a abusive email , contact BradW. He will ban a cacher up to a year.

I'm guessing that Groundspeak is unlikely to get involved in questions of abusive e-mail behaviour unless the e-mail was sent through the site.

Edited by sTeamTraen

Sometimes the best thing to do is just let it go, and they will go away. If that doesnt work though I have a friend from Louisville that can always work out situations. lol

Please note I do not say that violence is the answer to anything.

Situation Resolved.

This cacher says that they will stop, and never contact me again

Thread may now be closed, or left open.

Thanks everyone

Coman123

Bummer, I had visions of Brad dressed in black tights wielding a Louisville Slugger hopping on the corporate jet and winging his way out to exact revenge on your behalf.

Can't you stir the guy back up? :)

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Situation Resolved.

This cacher says that they will stop, and never contact me again

Thread may now be closed, or left open.

Thanks everyone

Coman123

Bummer, I had visions of Brad dressed in black tights wielding a Louisville Slugger hopping on the corporate jet and winging his way out to exact revenge on your behalf.

Can't you stir the guy back up? :)

:laughing:

No, hire a method actor. Make sure he is 400 lbs and in his 60s, bald with a gotee. Put him on the tiniest moped you can find (without a spark arrestor) and have them drive up to their house, ring the doorbell and pelt em with eggs. Videotape it and post it on UTube, and here. Mmmkay? :laughing: