ISSUE REPORT: lower map will not load

Scubasonic

When I go to a cache page and DBL click on the lower map it will not open up to show other surrounding caches.

Scubasonic

not sure if that's intended or not, but you can always use the "Geocaching.com Google Map" link.

I'm having the same issue. I HOPE it's not intended, as it's a not what one would consider a useful feature.

When I go to a cache page and DBL click on the lower map it will not open up to show other surrounding caches.

Scubasonic

not sure if that's intended or not, but you can always use the "Geocaching.com Google Map" link.

Scubasonic

No, the Google map link gives a whole page of map when the little 3.7x3.7 inch square with the zoom feature is plenty. No need to waste a sheet of paper and loads of ink for every cache. Seems like every time they mess with the maps they get worse before they get better.

The google map link is useful for planning a cluster of caches so both should be there and just as they were. Only improvement needed was to include a scale on the smaller maps at each zoom level.

Edited by edscott

I gotta wonder what you're actually talking about. The lower map never showed any other caches. Just the marker with the currently viewed cache.

I beg to differ, but the lower map did indeed show a pop-up map, when left clicked, with various zoom levels and views including surrounding caches. It will no longer load since the site was brought down this afternoon. :(

I gotta wonder what you're actually talking about. The lower map never showed any other caches. Just the marker with the currently viewed cache.

No, but when you clicked on the map, it would open a new tab with the fully functional Google Map.

That mini-map was also semi-functional in that you could zoom in and out of it.

No, but when you clicked on the map, it would open a new tab with the fully functional Google Map.

Raine addressed this in another thread, saying the map has been changed to a static one for a bit while some Javascript issues are fixed.

Edited by Skippermark

Raine addressed this in another thread, saying the map has been changed to a static one for a bit while some Javascript issues are fixed.

Is there a quick work-around in the meantime?

The initial complain read that the mini map at the bottom of the page showed caches around, which was incorrect.

-Raine

When I clicked the map at the bottom right it always (untill today) opened up a larger map in another window with surrounding caches. Thats how I would load along a route we would be taking.

The initial complain read that the mini map at the bottom of the page showed caches around, which was incorrect.

-Raine

When I clicked the map at the bottom right it always (untill today) opened up a larger map in another window with surrounding caches. Thats how I would load along a route we would be taking.

Yep that's what I would do as well in planning my daily caching adventures SOL now what a drag wonder when they will fix it. :(:D

Scubasonic

If you look directly to the left of the map, there is a link. "Geocaching.com Google Maps". It's the same exact link that was used before.

-Raine

So, you took something that was functional, used to work, and was used by a lot of cachers (myself included) and made it dysfunctional? Odd way to update things.

If you look directly to the left of the map, there is a link. "Geocaching.com Google Maps". It's the same exact link that was used before.

-Raine

So, you took something that was functional, used to work, and was used by a lot of cachers (myself included) and made it dysfunctional? Odd way to update things.

Please see this post before you freak out.

-Raine

Nevertheless the current map is useless.. do we need to open a new bug complaint or do you acknowledge it is a newly created bug?

WORKAROUND: Directly to the LEFT of the Mini-Map is a link named "Geocaching.com Google Map"

Click that, and you get what the old mini-map used to link you to.

there is a better workaround until this is fixed. If you right click on the map it will bring up a list of commands all you have to do is left click on "Open in New Window" and the map will open up and be fully functional just like before.

I hope like everyone else this will be fixed soon.

Within the past few minutes it looks like the smaller map has become linked to the full page geocaching.com map. Hopefully that is a temporary smoke and mirrors fix as it doesn't really address the problem. It is much more efficient to have the smaller satellite image on the page than to print a full page just to get a few square inches of essential data.

WORKAROUND: Directly to the LEFT of the Mini-Map is a link named "Geocaching.com Google Map"

there is a better workaround until this is fixed. If you right click on the map it will bring up a list of commands all you have to do is left click on "Open in New Window" and the map will open up and be fully functional just like before.

Thank you soooo much!! I rely on this feature to decide where I am caching so your hint is perfect. :laughing: *Phew* caching is back on!

YES thank you that helps a lot.

Scubasonic

huh? how is that different from a regular click on the map, now that it's back to being clickable? (the right click thing also didn't work before it was back to being clickable.)

Within the past few minutes it looks like the smaller map has become linked to the full page geocaching.com map. Hopefully that is a temporary smoke and mirrors fix as it doesn't really address the problem. It is much more efficient to have the smaller satellite image on the page than to print a full page just to get a few square inches of essential data.

not sure what you mean. it does now what it did before: clicking on it will open the regular google/geocaching map page. where's the difference?

Sorry, I started a new thread on this without seeing this one already going. So please ignore or delete that one.

Anyway, in Firefox, when I click on the lower map on the cache page it goes to a map page with that cache and the surrounding caches (with ammo can icon and smileys) shown. BUT since the new fixes, it no longer works in IE which is my preferred browser. Neither IE 7 or 8 show the map. This was a great feature and as long as I have used geocaching.com it had always worked in IE.

And in IE suddenly the little profile summary on the front page has moved down under the banner logo when I use IE (but not when I use Firefox). This isn't the worst, but the website does look odd now because of that.

Thanks for anyhelp you can give.

huh? how is that different from a regular click on the map, now that it's back to being clickable? (the right click thing also didn't work before it was back to being clickable.)

Oh, I do see that if you right click on the map and use the command "open in new window" you do see what you used to, even in IE. So the map just isn't hyperlinked like it used to be (showing a little pointing hand icon). Well, I guess one can live with that if they know to use the command line. Cachers just new to geocaching.com, however, may be missing this neat feature. (If they are like me they learn by clicking when they see a hotlink.)

not sure what you mean. it does now what it did before: clicking on it will open the regular google/geocaching map page. where's the difference?

The difference is that you get a full page satellite when the little 3.7x3.7 on the cache page is big enough and does not require printing another page. Before the map on the page could be changed to satellite image or topographical and be rescaled to a good scale for that particular cache and be printed as part of the page. Now I must print an additional page to get a map. More paper more ink more time more hassle. We now are getting less service at a higher cost to us.

I've been having the same issues even today, 06/04/2010.

When I mouse-over the Google map in IE, I no longer get the little hand or a clickable link.

I thought it was my computer filters at first (turned everything off).

Then I thought it was Internet Explorer 8 (which I uninstalled).

Then I thought perhaps it was something to do with the Vista64 Service Pack 2 update I just did.

By chance, I opened a cache page in Firefox, and found out the map still works there.

I find it very odd that the map works in Firefox, but not Internet Explorer....

Anyone have any ideas on what/how to remedy this?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

(running off to read up on the other mentioned topic too for other possible remedies)

The image is linked to the google map for me, but it's still just a static map with no zoom function. Not sure exactly all you could do with the little map before, but I would zoom on that once in a while vs. launching the full browser map on a separate tab. It was nice.

The image is linked to the google map for me, but it's still just a static map with no zoom function. Not sure exactly all you could do with the little map before, but I would zoom on that once in a while vs. launching the full browser map on a separate tab. It was nice.

Before the change you could adjust the scale, toggle between street maps, topographical, aerial photo, and a street/aerial photo hybrid. It was very useful. Unfortunately it appears that TPTB do not see it's value, or perhaps they do and don't want us to use it.

Before the change you could adjust the scale, toggle between street maps, topographical, aerial photo, and a street/aerial photo hybrid. It was very useful. Unfortunately it appears that TPTB do not see it's value, or perhaps they do and don't want us to use it.

I sure don't know why they have not fixed this yet seems like it should be fairly easy. :blink:

Scubasonic

The developers have already posted an explanation in the Release Notes thread. This map feature is, in geocaching terms, "temporarily disabled." This thread has a link to that explanation.

Thread participants are advised to read the discussions before making unsupported conclusions. Thanks.

Yes, just after the release the "temporarily disabled" comment was made along with the promise of a bigger and better map. A day or so later the map became bigger and thus maybe to some better. With no additional input from the developers I'll stand by my conclusions.

I'm still working to get the lower map working since the last release.

The newer version will also show the Additional Waypoints in the map as well.

Here's a quick preview.

fd431413-32c4-4ae8-8ca9-8a69b3473bd7.jpg

-Raine

Edited by Raine

Here's a quick preview.

-Raine

Thanks for sharing. A little info goes a long way.

This looks like a great enhancement.

Here's a quick preview.

That looks slick, thanks for the update!

A suggestion.. your icons are obscuring the cache area. Is there a way to move the icon a bit and connect it to GZ with a thin line more like the map pin? or revert to the pin on just the satellite layer? Something to make the maps usable for navigation....

PS since I'm asking for perfection anyhow how about this... be able to toggle between the Icon as you have it and a tiny red dot at GZ. Additional waypoints could be done in other colors

Edited by edscott

-Raine

Please see this post before you freak out.

This problem is a possible contract dispute between Google and the website Geocaching.com. I had e-mail a request for specifics on this error that they're supposed to be fixing and the only sent this thread link. Is it a concindence that this happened at the beginning of the Month. Did anyone get maps on 6/1???? Don't know. Java script problems would be fixable in short amount of time....not over 10 days, again smells like negotiations are afoot.

Update.. now both links to google maps are broken. The lower map on the cache page is dead and the Geocaching.com Google link loads about a quarter of the map and quits. Glad I had a good day caching today.. might be awhile before I can go out again.

Updated update.. never mind.. it looks like it is a Safari Issue this time.. Lots of stuff is messed up and it is not just on this site.. Firefox fixes everything. :ph34r:

Edited by edscott