Geocaching and Facebook?

I think the Tatty Bear's point was that it's a "'test page cache' which has never been seen, never published" so nobody (other than possibly a reviewer checking for proximity) will have been able to visit it at all.

Very strange. :)

MrsB

For fun, I just visited The Blorenges' profile page and looked at the first six caches in the list of caches they've hidden. Each of the six caches I looked at, including four that have been archived, has exactly 28 people who "Like" the cache.

Those 28 people (was just 27 an hour ago) must be really busy "Liking" every cache on the site, active or not.

Why do I get the feeling there's some sort of testing going on?

--Larry

How can it be any form of recommendation for a cache, when my 'test page cache' which has never been seen, never published, is PM only, and has 27 people who "Like This" :)

Each and every one of my five active caches, as well as both of my unpublished caches, has exactly 27 people who "Like" the cache.

Coincidence? I think not. I have to wonder whether the feature is even working right at this point. And how would I know if it was? And should I care?

--Larry

That's odd... I only "Liked" your first unpublished cache. Should only have 26 Likes for the other one. Must have been someone else that liked it. Edited by knowschad

I have just noticed that you can now link yourself to facebook and "like" geocaches. I think this is a very cool new feature which will allow people to see what is a good cache and what isn't.! What are your thoughts?

How can it be any form of recommendation for a cache, when my 'test page cache' which has never been seen, never published, is PM only, and has 27 people who "Like This" :laughing:

we like everything you do... so we all visited the page and clicked "like".... sorry. :)

Thank you for taking the time to "Like" my cache.

Please can you not "Like" it 27 times, just to give others a chance to "Like" it too.

:laughing:

I know some people dislike Facebook either because they find it a waste or invasive to their privacy. But I was a little surprised to see how many geocachers seem to feel that way. I wonder if its actually a higher than usual thing among cachers or just seems that way because of the addition of the FB Like feature bringing out all those who dislike it?

Even if you hate it, Facebook is really popular and integration for it is everywhere these days.

I don't have any statistics, but I don't think the number of Facebook hata's is any greater among Geocachers. I think there are even more Twitter hata's in the general population, and I'm a Twitter Lover and Facebook hata, so go figure.

I saw discussion elsewhere that it's going to say you like it with your real name, not your Geocaching.com username. Does this bother anyone either because of 1) Privacy issues or 2) No one is going to relate Joe Smith with "TheWhiteUrkel". And no, my name isn't really Joe Smith. :)

For fun, I just visited The Blorenges' profile page and looked at the first six caches in the list of caches they've hidden. Each of the six caches I looked at, including four that have been archived, has exactly 28 people who "Like" the cache.

I'm trying to follow along, but I can't see what you are seeing. Where do you get this number?

When I look at the Blorenges' profile page, and click on the first cache in the list of caches they have hidden...

I see a button with a "thumbs up" symbol labeled "Like." And I see a Facebook logo with the words "Be the first of your friends to like this."

That's what I see on all of my caches, too. So where are y'all seeing this number of people who "Like" a cache?

I have just noticed that you can now link yourself to facebook and "like" geocaches. I think this is a very cool new feature which will allow people to see what is a good cache and what isn't.! What are your thoughts?

How can it be any form of recommendation for a cache, when my 'test page cache' which has never been seen, never published, is PM only, and has 27 people who "Like This" :)

Coincidentally, I own 27 caches and next to the thumbs up images is "Be the first of your friends to like this."

Two words, Groundspeak: User Testing.

i'm not sure if they even have any influence on that. the whole button including the text displayed, everything is loaded directly off the spambook servers. GS only generates the reference, which is a FB URL containing the link to the current cache page (which is straightforward, static for each cache listing and pretty hard to get wrong). if anything, it's FB to blame for incorrect displays, or maybe some freak caching going on somewhere in between (on the PC or maybe in a corporate firewall).

I'm trying to follow along, but I can't see what you are seeing. Where do you get this number?

When I look at the Blorenges' profile page, and click on the first cache in the list of caches they have hidden...

I see a button with a "thumbs up" symbol labeled "Like." And I see a Facebook logo with the words "Be the first of your friends to like this."

That's what I see on all of my caches, too. So where are y'all seeing this number of people who "Like" a cache?

Now I'm even more confused...

First, I do have a Facebook account and I stay logged in.

Earlier, as a test, I went to The Blorenges' profile page, went to the Geocaches tab, then clicked on "Geocaches Owned (All Geocache Hides)". The cache at the top of the list is GC24CMJ, Cyfarchion gan The Blorenges, a now-archived event cache. The Facebook widget reported that 28 people "Liked" this cache, even though it had been archived before the feature was introduced.

Out of pure curiosity, I clicked on the Facebook "Like" button. The Facebook widget then reported, "Larry Cunningham and 28 others like this."

When I looked at that cache page just now, it continued to report that "Larry Cunningham and 28 others like this."

So does every other cache in The Blorenges' list of caches, most of which I've never even visited before today. By clicking the "Like" button for just one of their caches, I appear to have added a "Like" to all their caches.

Very strange. Is this a display glitch that's falsely reporting my actions, or is a "Like" being registered for all of a cacher's hides if I click the "Like" button for any one of their caches? And is anyone else seeing this behavior, or am I just hallucinating? :)

--Larry

i'm not sure if they even have any influence on that. the whole button including the text displayed, everything is loaded directly off the spambook servers. GS only generates the reference, which is a FB URL containing the link to the current cache page (which is straightforward, static for each cache listing and pretty hard to get wrong). if anything, it's FB to blame for incorrect displays, or maybe some freak caching going on somewhere in between (on the PC or maybe in a corporate firewall).

I was thinking of User Testing in more a general sense.

Even the "Like This" image *was* working correctly did GS ask any of it's users whether they wanted an implementation of a cache rating system which was merely a "Like This" button? There have been suggestions, discussions, debates, and all sort of proposals for some sort of cache rating system for six years and this is what we get?

Even the "Like This" image *was* working correctly did GS ask any of it's users whether they wanted an implementation of a cache rating system which was merely a "Like This" button? There have been suggestions, discussions, debates, and all sort of proposals for some sort of cache rating system for six years and this is what we get?

It's not a rating system.

Facebook users can "like" all kinds of stuff. It just shows up on their "wall" as "Gerald Belton likes (whatever)," with a link to the "whatever" it is that he likes. It's been an internal thing on Facebook for as long as I've had an account. They just recently added the widgets so theoretically FB users can "Like" anything on the internet now.

Earlier, as a test, I went to The Blorenges' profile page, went to the Geocaches tab, then clicked on "Geocaches Owned (All Geocache Hides)". The cache at the top of the list is GC24CMJ, Cyfarchion gan The Blorenges, a now-archived event cache. The Facebook widget reported that 28 people "Liked" this cache, even though it had been archived before the feature was introduced.

Out of pure curiosity, I clicked on the Facebook "Like" button. The Facebook widget then reported, "Larry Cunningham and 28 others like this."

When I looked at that cache page just now, it continued to report that "Larry Cunningham and 28 others like this."

all i see on that cache is that "One person likes this".

maybe the facebook URL is generated wrongly for you? go look at the page source, search for "facebook" and paste the whole <iframe> line. here's what i have:

<iframe src='http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f8ecce55-ff30-4d76-8c5c-825cf35efa33&layout=standard&show_faces=false&width=450&action=like&font&colorscheme=light&height=35'

maybe you have a different URL there?

Edited by dfx

It's not a rating system.

Where's the official word from the GS management team that this is not what they are offering members of geocaching.com as a rating system. It looks and quacks like a rating system to me, albeit a very simple rating system and a limited to FB members only rating system.

all i see on that cache is that "One person likes this".

maybe the facebook URL is generated wrongly for you? go look at the page source, search for "facebook" and paste the whole <iframe> line. here's what i have:

<iframe src='http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f8ecce55-ff30-4d76-8c5c-825cf35efa33&layout=standard&show_faces=false&width=450&action=like&font&colorscheme=light&height=35'

maybe you have a different URL there?

Here's what I see in the source:

scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border: none; overflow: hidden; width: 100%; height: 70px;" allowtransparency="true"

class="Spacing"></iframe>

Looks pretty much the same as what you saw. How or why could it be different?

--Larry

ETA: I should note that I'm using a Greasemonkey script that's supposed to be suppressing the entire Facebook widget, but it doesn't appear to be working (obviously). I'll try turning off that script and see if that changes anything.

ETA2: The script is the "nix white space" script. Turning the script off and refreshing the cache page doesn't change anything, I still see "Larry Cunningham and 28 others like this." I'm assuming that anyone who isn't one of my Facebook "friends" won't actually see my full name listed, by the way.

Edited by larryc43230

it probably isn't. let's experiment: take this URL:

http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?h...5c-825cf35efa33

and copy/paste that into a new browser window/tab. what do you see? what happens when you reload that page? what happens when you force-reload it? what happens if you open it in another browser? etc clear cache etc restart browser etc diff PC etc reboot etc...?

Edited by dfx

it probably isn't. let's experiment: take this URL:

http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?h...5c-825cf35efa33

and copy/paste that into a new browser window/tab. what do you see? what happens when you reload that page? what happens when you force-reload it? what happens if you open it in another browser? etc clear cache etc restart browser etc diff PC etc reboot etc...?

I see the Facebook "Liked" logo followed by "Larry Cunningham and 28 others like this." I see the same thing after reloading, force-reloading. When I open it in IE8 (which I never use), I see "Be the first of your friends to like this. ... Error" What does this tell me?

--Larry

I see the Facebook "Liked" logo followed by "Larry Cunningham and 28 others like this." I see the same thing after reloading, force-reloading. When I open it in IE8 (which I never use), I see "Be the first of your friends to like this. ... Error" What does this tell me?

it tells you that something is very broken somewhere :blink:

i can only imagine one of two things happening here: assuming the content is actually correctly loaded from the FB servers, then it has to be a problem on their side. did you try logging out of FB and then reloading?

or otherwise there's gotta be something between you (or rather your browser) and the interwebs which is either rewriting the URLs and causing the wrong content to be loaded, or performs incorrect caching. this could be some browser plugin or a proxy somewhere on the way.

seeing as other people have the same problem, i'd think it has to be the former.

did you try logging out of FB and then reloading?

If I log out of Facebook, the Facebook widget on a cache page (any cache page!) now reads "29 people like this." The only change is that it no longer includes my name. If I then log back into Facebook and refresh the cache page, the Facebook widget again displays "Larry Cunningham and 28 others like this." Seems totally consistent, and totally bizarre.

--Larry

did you try logging out of FB and then reloading?

If I log out of Facebook, the Facebook widget on a cache page (any cache page!) now reads "29 people like this." The only change is that it no longer includes my name. If I then log back into Facebook and refresh the cache page, the Facebook widget again displays "Larry Cunningham and 28 others like this." Seems totally consistent, and totally bizarre.

--Larry

From my experimentation, I think it's only going to display your name to you. In other words, if you're one of 10 people that like a cache, for you, it's going to say "[your real name] and 9 others like this". Anyone who does not have a facebook account, OR does have a facebook account and hasn't liked the cache is going to see "10 people like this".

I could be wrong though. :blink:

From my experimentation, I think it's only going to display your name to you. In other words, if you're one of 10 people that like a cache, for you, it's going to say "[your real name] and 9 others like this". Anyone who does not have a facebook account, OR does have a facebook account and hasn't liked the cache is going to see "10 people like this".

I could be wrong though. :blink:

I have the impression that my name will appear to any Facebook member who has me as a "Friend". Other Facebook members who haven't "Friended" me will see the anonymous "xx people like this."

--Larry