Geocaching and Facebook?

my thoughts: i don't care, cause i don't use facebook :(

I also don't use facebook. I think it is a mind control tool.

At first I thought that this feature was going to be a rating system. Turns out it just, what, updates your facebook statis?

Edited by Andronicus

I have just noticed that you can now link yourself to facebook and "like" geocaches. I think this is a very cool new feature which will allow people to see what is a good cache and what isn't.! What are your thoughts?

I'm not happy. I hate Facebook. Once they have you they don't let go. I keep getting email messages that so-and-so wants to be my friend. I checked off every privacy setting on the site but it's still not private. It's irritating, I don't want to use Facebook.

Please Groundspeak produce an in-house, filterable rating/reward system.

I've never used Facebook and never will. I'm hoping for a GM script to hide this thing. Of course, another script will slow down the page loads even more, but I'd rather do that than see the clutter.

You probably can setup your router to block face book. Here at work, I get a 401 error in the little window there.

I have just noticed that you can now link yourself to facebook and "like" geocaches. I think this is a very cool new feature which will allow people to see what is a good cache and what isn't.! What are your thoughts?

I'm not happy. I hate Facebook. Once they have you they don't let go. I keep getting email messages that so-and-so wants to be my friend. I checked off every privacy setting on the site but it's still not private. It's irritating, I don't want to use Facebook.

Now that I think about it you are right. I just liked it for a rating thing, but now I think it would just be nicer to have a in house rating system.

I've never used Facebook and never will. I'm hoping for a GM script to hide this thing. Of course, another script will slow down the page loads even more, but I'd rather do that than see the clutter.

You probably can setup your router to block face book. Here at work, I get a 401 error in the little window there.

that would've been produced by a proxy.

but fortunately, the hostname resolves to a single IP address, which therefore is nicely blockable. depending on how you do it, you may get page load timeouts instead though, which is worse.

plus i don't think that blocking an entire site just because of a single embedded link on a single other site is really necessary. but whatever floats your boat.

Geez, it seems like there are a lot of Grumpy Gus' on this board! I LOVE the new "Like" feature. Many of my geocaching buddies are on Facebook. It's a good way to connect and help each other and talk about the caches we really like. This just makes it easier. If you don't like the feature...just don't use it. I think it's awesome!

Geez, it seems like there are a lot of Grumpy Gus' on this board! I LOVE the new "Like" feature. Many of my geocaching buddies are on Facebook. It's a good way to connect and help each other and talk about the caches we really like. This just makes it easier. If you don't like the feature...just don't use it. I think it's awesome!

I just hope this doesn't negate an in-house filterable reward/rating system.

If you don't like the feature...just don't use it.

generally i agree, as long as it doesn't have any downsides. as mentioned elsewhere, one of the pages prompted me to download like.php from www.facebook.com. very annoying. no problem if that was a one-time thing, but if it keeps happening i will start complaining.

i had a FB account for about a year on and off, got so sick of the BS i deleted, only took them 2 months to remove it :(

finally freedom from the zillions of emails/invites etc i was getting each day, no matter what settings i had in place

yeah i've already made my opinion known about no liking the "like" button. I think it'll just draw more un needed attention and spoil some of the mystery. just wait till you get to log your find of the mcdonalds power trail by purchasing a happy meal !

ps theres a similar topic in the geocaching.com forum.

Edited by drain13

Funny. My 2+ years of facebook experience has been less negative than this thread. A great big thanks goes out to all the negative nellys that don't participate there. :(

Now that I think about it you are right. I just liked it for a rating thing, but now I think it would just be nicer to have a in house rating system.

Exactly!! People have been asking for a rating system for years and their pleas have been ignored until this hack came up.
OK, OK. Since you asked, I will just shelf my opinions. I had no idea that I was stepping on your toes.

the best way to connect and help each other is to use an IM program, much more personal and less dangerous for your privacy, you can pull in as many people as you want on it from your friends list and have an o**y...i mean conference type call

What is FaceBook?

It is where the COOL people hang out :(

its a walk in freezer?

Edited by t4e

It is a cop out rating. I'll bet that if Dracula 3000 only had a like rating attached to it thousands of frelltard kiddies would LIKE it and sucker people with discerning tastes in, who would, in turn get pissed off.

Now when we say we want a rating system, will get the finger.

I believe advertisers are going to develop crap to come here and LIKE caches as a way to advertise, eating up bandwidth.

It is forcing us to connect to an outside site. I say force because I cant find a way to turn it off.

Some one develop a Grease Monkey script to remove the code please. Even if there is a connection before the script runs at least I wont get reminded as often.

I also think that if FB isn't paying GS they should be, considering there are 1,088,056 active face book advertisements on the site now.

What were you all doing on Facebook to get so much junk? I've been on there for a couple years and I don't get any email from them. I only get messages from my friend on Facebook. In the two years I been on there, I've only got 3 friend requests from people I didn't know. Either you guys were doing something wrong, or I'm not as cool as I thought I was. I'm sure it's not the latter. :laughing:

I created a facebook account, ages back, but it's so fiddly I just give up. Some javascript pop-up always gets in my way aid I lose patience with it. How does such a simple idea become so bad? I've long abandoned myspace for the same reasons. I hope the people at Groundspeak cool their jets on more changes like this and leave the site to focus on what it does best, bring people together with a simple interface. No more javascript, thank you!

What were you all doing on Facebook to get so much junk? I've been on there for a couple years and I don't get any email from them. I only get messages from my friend on Facebook. In the two years I been on there, I've only got 3 friend requests from people I didn't know. Either you guys were doing something wrong, or I'm not as cool as I thought I was. I'm sure it's not the latter. :laughing:

I've been using Facebook for a while also and get narry an email from them. I must admit though that I am also very careful about what I do on there, don't play games or take quizzes, and just use it for purposes of keeping in touch with the theater group I direct and with my friends.

So what does this like button on the cache page do anyway? I clicked it on a cache that I really enjoyed and it didn't appear to do anything, just says on the cache page that I liked it, didn't post anything to my FB page. Is that all it does? I don't see the point. :laughing:

Funny. My 2+ years of facebook experience has been less negative than this thread. A great big thanks goes out to all the negative nellys that don't participate there. :laughing:

Chumpo Likes this

I know some people dislike Facebook either because they find it a waste or invasive to their privacy. But I was a little surprised to see how many geocachers seem to feel that way. I wonder if its actually a higher than usual thing among cachers or just seems that way because of the addition of the FB Like feature bringing out all those who dislike it?

Even if you hate it, Facebook is really popular and integration for it is everywhere these days.

So what does this like button on the cache page do anyway? I clicked it on a cache that I really enjoyed and it didn't appear to do anything, just says on the cache page that I liked it, didn't post anything to my FB page. Is that all it does? I don't see the point. :)

I don't get it either. At home, I pushed the button, and is says that my wife likes that cache. Does that now show up for everyone who visites the cache page? Will the cache page stat to show how many people like it? It didn't show up on my wifes facebook page.

As for facebook's anoying spam, I don't even have a face book acount, and I get spam from them. "Bob has invited you to join facebook". Frack off!! :laughing: If I wanted a Facebook account, I would have had one years ago!

Edited by Andronicus

So what does this like button on the cache page do anyway?

When you click it, Facebook sends an electionic probe through you mouse into you index finger. It then probes your deepest thoughts and desires. The information is instantaniously sent back to Facebook. The information is shared with advertisers and the government of the Martian federation. Each doing what they want with the information.

Besides that I haven't figured out what else is does.

When you click it, Facebook sends an electionic probe through you mouse into you index finger. It then probes your deepest thoughts and desires. The information is instantaniously sent back to Facebook. The information is shared with advertisers and the government of the Martian federation. Each doing what they want with the information.

it also decides which tax bracket you should be in, and records your BMI.

Signs you up for abduction by aliens.

Please use with care, the backlog is terrible and the aliens may go on strike for better working conditions, no abductions on Weekends and better healthcare.

Wow. A lot of Facebook haters.

Whatever....

As with anything...it is what you make of it. It has been a great way to reconnect with old friends and keep in touch with current friends.

Adding the Like button to caches is just one more way to connect people and give them a voice.

I 'Like' it.

Adding the Like button to caches is just one more way to connect people and give them a voice.

How does it connect people when it doesn't seem to really do anything?

I like FB too. It's reconnected me with all my high school friends. I've had no problems with it. You do got to stay on top of your privacy settings there though.

Probing my mind won't get them much. I traded it as swag. Got a cool McToy!

How will this let you see what is a good cache and what isn't? All it will do is let you see which cache pages your Facebook friends say they like. If your Facebook friends like the same kinds of cache you do, it may provide a way to let Facebook friends recommend caches. You may soon find out which of your Facebook friends like the same kinds caches you like and which like different kinds of cache than you and perhaps you can then refine it a bit more by only acting on "Likes" post by Facebook friends withe similar geocaching interest.

For those of us that have "real-life" friends we all ready do these things. When I see my friends at geocaching events and other get-togethers, we will often discuss geocaches we liked and recommend caches to on another. I guess this is a good feature for people whose only friends are "online" friends. :)

It may be that you can see how many people "liked" a particular cache page on Facebook. This is sort of like seeing how many people are watching a cache or how many public bookmark lists the cache is on. I'm not sure it adds much that we don't already know. What will happen is people will ask "It says 6 people liked my cache. How can I tell who they are?" You only see the name if they have "friended" you on Facebook.

How will this let you see what is a good cache and what isn't? All it will do is let you see which cache pages your Facebook friends say they like.

...It may be that you can see how many people "liked" a particular cache page on Facebook. This is sort of like seeing how many people are watching a cache or how many public bookmark lists the cache is on. I'm not sure it adds much that we don't already know. What will happen is people will ask "It says 6 people liked my cache. How can I tell who they are?" You only see the name if they have "friended" you on Facebook.

I don't like the FB 'Like' feature as a rating system because it forces me to use FB if I want to use this rating system. I don't want to use FB. Groundspeak could easily give us a GC thumbs up rating system instead. If it's some kind of promotional GC/FB thing, fine but don't make it the answer to a rating system that so many of us have been anticipating for 6 years.

This rating system limits use to FB users only. A rating system should be open to all registered GC users, not just those who also have an FB account. A flaw with this rating system is that anyone can "like" a cache - you do not have to actually visit/find a cache to 'like' it. (Not sure if you even have to be registered on GC to 'like' a cache).

Edited by Lone R

How can it be any form of recommendation for a cache, when my 'test page cache' which has never been seen, never published, is PM only, and has 27 people who "Like This" :)

it's not a rating system! it couldn't be, even if it was GC-internal, because "number of thumbs-up" by itself is a totally meaningless number.

in other words, if you don't like it, don't use it, and at the same time keep bugging GS for making that (real) rating system :)

Edited by dfx

How can it be any form of recommendation for a cache, when my 'test page cache' which has never been seen, never published, is PM only, and has 27 people who "Like This" :)

Each and every one of my five active caches, as well as both of my unpublished caches, has exactly 27 people who "Like" the cache.

Coincidence? I think not. I have to wonder whether the feature is even working right at this point. And how would I know if it was? And should I care?

--Larry

How can it be any form of recommendation for a cache, when my 'test page cache' which has never been seen, never published, is PM only, and has 27 people who "Like This" :laughing:

we like everything you do... so we all visited the page and clicked "like".... sorry. :)

How can it be any form of recommendation for a cache, when my 'test page cache' which has never been seen, never published, is PM only, and has 27 people who "Like This" :laughing:

we like everything you do... so we all visited the page and clicked "like".... sorry. :)

I think the Tatty Bear's point was that it's a "'test page cache' which has never been seen, never published" so nobody (other than possibly a reviewer checking for proximity) will have been able to visit it at all.

Very strange. :laughing:

MrsB