Trackables Collections

Love

As the owner of a trackable, you will now have the option to set the status of your Trackables to "Collectible" or Non-Collectible." This will help move any of your owned trackables out of your inventory when you're logging a cache.

For information on how the new feature works, please see this Knowledge Book article.

Let us know what you think of the feature and if you have any questions or concerns.

Edited by Love

There is a similar thread in the geocaching website forum, feel free to post in either location.

Two things already noticed: a need for the ability to move part or all of your trackables into/out of your collection at one time and to have a 'current location' column on the inventory/collections pages.

Edited by Love

This feature is for people who want to put all of their own activated trackable items into a subset (not someone else's trackables) so that they can log them all at once into and out of an event. Some people like to bring all of their coins to events to let others discover them, and it makes it easier for cachers to log them in and out of the event with one simple click. You asked for it, you got it! (Not you personally, but geocachers/trackable collectors wanted this feature, so it has been implemented). It keeps one from having to sift through everything in their inventory to find the ones they own, separate from ones they are moving along.

You first have to put your own items into your "collectibles", then you will be able to move them as a group.

The Knowledge Book explains how it works.

Note:

"A trackable Item owner may change the status of a trackable item from Collectible to Non-Collectible at any time at their discretion."

I'm afraid I misunderstood this new feature. It is not as I stated, and it is so you can store your trackables without having them clutter up your inventory. Instead of using an archived cache, you make them collectible. I apologize for the error in my thinking!

Edited by Eartha

There is a similar thread in the geocaching website forum, feel free to post in either location.

Two things already noticed: a need for the ability to move part or all of your trackables into/out of your collection at one time and to have a 'current location' column on the inventory/collections pages.

After moving about a dozen coins out of my archived Stash Cache I noticed it was going to take a long long long time to move all my Stash Cache contents into the Collectibles category. I'm happy to hear that issue has been addressed. :(

Edit to add.... perhaps a way to highlight and select multiple coins from the Personal Trackables list to move them in bulk into the Collectibles list. :D

Edited by Droo

This feature is for people who want to put all of their own activated trackable items into a subset (not someone else's trackables) so that they can log them all at once into and out of an event. Some people like to bring all of their coins to events to let others discover them, and it makes it easier for cachers to log them in and out of the event with one simple click. You asked for it, you got it! (Not you personally, but geocachers/trackable collectors wanted this feature, so it has been implemented). It keeps one from having to sift through everything in their inventory to find the ones they own, separate from ones they are moving along.

You first have to put your own items into your "collectibles", then you will be able to move them as a group.

Note:

"A trackable Item owner may change the status of a trackable item from Collectible to Non-Collectible at any time at their discretion."

Nice. Batch moving is much easier! :(

Oh!!!!! so it doesn't have to do with the cachers that have only a small number of coins!!!

Oh boy, I understood other things and I was a litle socked! the collectable and non collectable confused me!

I thought that the coins under the status of Collectable, could be collected by others! So if someone found a coin in a cache and he was seeing the status he would keep it!!! I was socked by that!! I even posted twice in the other thread!!! :D

so, if I leave them like that it is ok too! after all... I do not have many activated coins in my hands that I am the owner or.. signal is (I have the lackeys 2007), and event's in my area... huh... :(

Hi Eartha,

Thanks for moderating these forum!

BTW, can we have all two (three?) of the related forums 'merged'?

And, also seed a alias-link is both TB & Geocoin forums, as well as the Geocaching.com Web Site forum, to jump to the final merged forum?

Trackables Collections

Trackables Collections

Man, as expected, this one is on fire!

All for the better!

~ Dr.MORO

If we merge them, a lot of collectors won't find the thread over there, and the people who take care of programming this stuff won't see it here. This is why I suggest you post your YAY! HOW COOL!s here and your "I need it to do this!" over there in the website forum.

Goody gumdrops! No more need to have an unpublished cache to store my collectibles in! YAY!

Yes, and for all of you folks who used up a perfectly good GC#, now you can turn it into a REAL cache! :D:D

:( Good idea. Maybe I'll go place a new cache this weekend while my father-law is in town for our (Rick & Kelly) college graduation :D

Hi Eartha,

Thanks for moderating these forum!

BTW, can we have all two (three?) of the related forums 'merged'?

And, also seed a alias-link is both TB & Geocoin forums, as well as the Geocaching.com Web Site forum, to jump to the final merged forum?

Trackables Collections

Trackables Collections

Man, as expected, this one is on fire!

All for the better!

~ Dr.MORO

If we merge them, a lot of collectors won't find the thread over there, and the people who take care of programming this stuff won't see it here. This is why I suggest you post your YAY! HOW COOL!s here and your "I need it to do this!" over there in the website forum.

Thanks Eartha!

Great point!

My request 'retracted'!

Basically, I like the improvement a lot.

It was a bit buggy, and we just need to 'voice', and have the 'upper' people pull it up.

Thanks again!

~ Dr.MORO

Goody gumdrops! No more need to have an unpublished cache to store my collectibles in! YAY!

Yes, and for all of you folks who used up a perfectly good GC#, now you can turn it into a REAL cache! :D:D

:( Good idea. Maybe I'll go place a new cache this weekend while my father-law is in town for our (Rick & Kelly) college graduation :D

Hi again BRoKeN W!

I guess I should have expected to see you here!

Yes, this new feature should help you, along with many other BIG collectors.

Just wanted to thank you again for my very first geocoin to own!

What a beauty! Everyone on the road who sees it, are amazed, and of course, discover it!

She's not going to put in my 'collection' anytime soon though,

together will 10 or so other TBs I carry all the time, I log every single cache I find with her.

Hope to see you on the road!

~ Dr.MORO

Yes, and for all of you folks who used up a perfectly good GC#, now you can turn it into a REAL cache! :(:D

Yeah, if my Moun10bikes and other "other owner" trackables can be put in my collection, I'll recycle my stash cache as well.

Help i do not understand i have spent hours reading all the new items about Trackables

so hear gose

I Have over 200 coins around the world so do i have to rush and make them

Non-Collectible

so i can keep them moving and people can pick them up and drop them

what if i leave the item blank

what happens them?

or am i missing somthing

i do have 140 coins in my inventor can peolpe still discover them whem i take the to meets

thanks

Labrador Wild Man

Hi again BRoKeN W!

I guess I should have expected to see you here!

Yes, this new feature should help you, along with many other BIG collectors.

Just wanted to thank you again for my very first geocoin to own!

What a beauty! Everyone on the road who sees it, are amazed, and of course, discover it!

She's not going to put in my 'collection' anytime soon though,

together will 10 or so other TBs I carry all the time, I log every single cache I find with her.

Hope to see you on the road!

~ Dr.MORO

Nice to see you here Dr.MORO! I am very glad that you take your Cachin' In Your Dreams coin everywhere with you :D

If you ever make it out to SW Idaho, send me a message and we can meet up :D

Yes, and for all of you folks who used up a perfectly good GC#, now you can turn it into a REAL cache! :(:D

But...it doesn't meet the guidelines. I didn't realize there was a puzzle hidden too close to it. Am I the only one who hid a real live Cache, and just didn't publish it?

Note:

I just tried to get this ability to "move them as a group" to work and couldn't figure it out. I don't see any mention of it in the Knowledge Book.

Does somebody have a step-by-step how to set this up? Or perhaps there is more than one Knowledge Book and I'm looking at the wrong one?

Thanks,

fegan

Note:

Nice. Batch moving is much easier! :(

Unfortunately this is not the case. The new feature doesn't allow for any sort of batch moves.

Basically the only point of this new feature is to move trackables that you never intend to drop out of your inventory. It is the same as placing them into an archived cache without wasting a GC#. If you want to drop the coins into an event you will still have to remove each one from your collection and place each one in the event. Same number of arduous steps as with the archived cache method.

Hopefully there will soon be some upgrades to make this new feature useful.

Well then, I am going to have to read it again myself. From the heads up they gave me, I thought it would be a batch movement. I guess I misread how it was going to work.

Nope, you can't do a batch move either into or out of your collection. That needs to be an option, otherwise it is very time consuming. It took me almost an hour to move mine from a cache to a collection. :laughing:

Well then, I am going to have to read it again myself. From the heads up they gave me, I thought it would be a batch movement. I guess I misread how it was going to work.

Nope, you can't do a batch move either into or out of your collection. That needs to be an option, otherwise it is very time consuming. It took me almost an hour to move mine from a cache to a collection. :laughing:

This has been brought up with the development team, so hopefully in time this functionality will exist.

One thing that would be nice:

Put the option "Place in Collection" in the drop down where one can mark the item as missing or move to last location...

I do not have all the numbers here, so I actually have to look up every single code to take them out the cache and then place them in my collection... It´s alittle way around...

Put the option "Place in Collection" in the drop down where one can mark the item as missing or move to last location...

I do not have all the numbers here, so I actually have to look up every single code to take them out the cache and then place them in my collection... It´s alittle way around...

The tracking number is on the coin page, but I agree - Let there be an option in the drop-down box...

2 pages done yesterday and another 20 to go... I maybe at this all week. Did someone whose name starts with E and ends in A mention the word BATCH?? I must be delirious and imagining things.

Yes, and that person initially misunderstood the use of the feature, but if you see post #28, all is not lost! Could happen in the future. I'm sure that we'll be the first to know in here when it does. I did correct that post, and have been chewing on my hat for a couple of days. :blink:

I just whined about that on the techie board with a further request to place "Move to Collection" in the Trackable Item Options menu along with the 'mileage retracer' and 'ship this off to neverneverland'. A few more voices humming the same tune could get the issue a bit more notice. :blink:

Back to it.... I'm on Page 5 of my trackables list with 15 more to go.

Edited by Droo

I must be dumber than a bag of hammers... I still do not get it.

My confusion and I get this weird sensation I'm not alone is the "Status Types":

Collectible

The coin may be collected by another player.

Non-Collectible

The coin cannot be collected and should continue its travels from geocache to geocache.

Unknown

The owner did not choose Collectible or Non-Collectible upon activation. These items cannot be collected by another player.

Status Types; Can Be Collected / Cannot Be Collected - this is extremely confusing to me. I have a large collection with a dummy archived cache as a vault - I've been collecting and sending coins and TBs out for years now without any confusion and fairly good success rate. Although I understand and appreciate the major improvement for having a spot to place my private collection rather than a dummy GC. The Collection and Inventory concept is an awesome idea. It's the Status part that is apt to cause many problems and confusion for many of us and especially newbies. At a time when so many newbies are getting involved and not necessarily getting the proper introduction or education before jumping in it would seem this could have disastrous results.

The way I see it is the "Status" is a huge waste of time and effort as I think it's a safe bet NOBODY will want their coins or TBs Collected by another player ever! Thus all will remain as "Unknown".

In my stupidity, I think that setting the Status to "Collectible" should mean this is a Coin/TB that is part of a private collection and not released into the wild - thus another player Can Not Keep it or Collect it.

Further a Non-Collectible would mean it is not part of a collection and thus would travel from cache to cache and I guess the thieves/uninformed could keep it if they so choose to be scum bags.

In fact I'm thinking that the wording it's self could be part of the problem.

Say if you made it "Collection" , "Non-Collection" or "Unknown" item as the status then:

"Collection" would indicate it is part of a collection that most likely would not be out traveling the world from cache to cache and is part of a players collection that might be brought to events for discoveries.

Further as a Database key this could allow an owner (providing it was programed for) to move the collection into the Event/Cache - in the Cache page's inventory it could show up as "Collection" indicating to all that the item is not really in the cache and is part of a collection and just there for Discoveries.

"Non-collection" would indicate the item was placed into the cache for someone to pick up and continue its journey. Again this would make for a nifty Database key (if so programed) allowing separation on a cache page inventory/history. Helpful to those that are trying to sort out what TBs are really placed into the cache and which were just dipped for mileage/discoveries. Typically the cache page owner.

"Unknown" Well this would mean its anyones guess and the default should be the same as it ever was - or the same as "Non-collectable".

Now I do understand that the principal is basically the same - to me it is far clearer and there would be NO MENTION of Collectible by other players - that is just an out and out suggestion for people collect the Coins & TBs (just plain stupid IMHO) and that is enough to discourage anyone from placing them out in the wild. To me it is like a BP attempt at fixing the oil disaster... An Obvious problem exist and the solution is worse then the initial problem or a mere no so well thought out solution that just makes it worse.

If you want another player to keep your coin - as in you are selling or gifting then that is what Adoptions are for.

I know that this concept was initiated after many hours of deliberation and thought by humans with far superior intelligence than I and that I'm but a mere mortal low life that as mentioned before dumber that a bag of hammers...

I do hope some intellectual out there will help me to understand - please help!

Until then it seems my best bet is not to dabble with this new concept or if I should embark on it perhaps leave all as Unknown until clarification makes some remote amount of sense.

Whatever the response please be kind I mean no harm and as I stated several times I'm dumber than a bag of hammers so be amiable...

I would like to add one more little consideration - if this was set up to make it easier then perhaps the moving of ones Collection into inventory in order to dip it into a cache for whatever the reason could be handled differently.

Say you want to put your collection in a Event - if it were made possible one could dump from "Collection" to the Cache Inventory without actually placing in the Cachers inventory first. After all it's not really in a physical cache and at the end of the day it would be put back into the cachers collection.

You would have 2 Two selections - your inventory and your collection. Or the inventory from a log and straight from your collection into a cache page. Perhaps the wizards could make it so you could move the collection or parts thereof into a cache page inventory and back out with out cluttering up the cache page log - it would show up in the inventory and in the history as a "Collection item" keeping it separate from the actual and thus also keeping it from being in the cachers inventory...

Just another thought from the peanut gallery.

Edited by Flatouts

why do you need to do that when you can move them right out of your own Inventory?

untitledcollection.jpg

done moving 350+ trackables into my collection. Is there a way for others to view what is in your collection?

of course, everything still shows up under "Trackables Owned"

its the reason i brought up the fact that "grab" option is available

Edited by t4e

well . . . let's see how much trouble I can get myself into here . . .

it is my understanding that one of the main factors in the creation of this feature was to reduce clutter in your inventory - as in, having to wade through a lot of trackables that you are keeping, in order to find the one that you want to drop into a geocache

in the past, many people solved this by creating a new geocache, declined to have it published, and then moved the items that they did not intend to release into that unpublished geocache (there were other methods used, but the intent was to get the items out of their inventory)

thus, the two categories - "inventory" and "collection"

only items in the former category will show when you are making a log entry

and there are clickable links on your homepage to show each catagory

thus, you can see what you need to drop off soon (inventory), and admire your keepers (collection)

there are three status designations -

1. collectible

2. non-collectible

3. unknown/neither

I believe that the latter is for existing items, and works just like "non-collectible"

the first two are a selection that you can make when activating a new item

only the owner of the item can change this status (on the "edit" sub-page for the trackable item)

if an item is "non-collectible" or "unknown", it will work just like trackables have in the past

meaning that it is not eligible for the collection feature, and cannot be moved to a collection

if it is "collectible", it can be moved from "inventory" to "collection"

once you make an item that you own "collectible", anybody can collect it

most of the time, only the owner will put a trackable into their own collection

but there are valid reasons for person "B" to "collect" an item owned by person "A"

Moun10Bike geocoins (and other M10B trackables) are all owned by Moun10Bike

but you are granted permission to hang on to them, if you like

the same is true of many personal and mystery geocoins

this is where the "discover/note only" feature comes in

if you have a trackable item that you want to share (at events, for example), put the item into your collection, and activate the "discover/note only" feature

that way, even somebody who has seen the tracking code cannot take possession of it

(as in "grab" or "retrieve" it)

if they can't have it in their inventory, they can't move it to their collection

I have not played with this, so I don't know the answer to technical questions

such as - what happens if an owner wants to change the status of a "collectible" item to "non-collectible"

is it allowed - if so, is the item moved back into "inventory"

what if it is in the collection of another member

and so on

but I believe (hope) that I have covered the basics

and why exactly is this thread been left in the geocoin subforum when in fact it belongs in the GC.com website section where there was one opened already

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=251320

This thread is for the coiners to ooohhh and aaaahhhh about the new feature and bring it our attention. Any tweaking or requests for adjustments ought to be posted to the website forum.

I believe that the latter is for existing items, and works just like "non-collectible"

the first two are a selection that you can make when activating a new item

only the owner of the item can change this status (on the "edit" sub-page for the trackable item)

if an item is "non-collectible" or "unknown", it will work just like trackables have in the past

meaning that it is not eligible for the collection feature, and cannot be moved to a collection

if it is "collectible", it can be moved from "inventory" to "collection"

once you make an item that you own "collectible", anybody can collect it

most of the time, only the owner will put a trackable into their own collection

but there are valid reasons for person "B" to "collect" an item owned by person "A"

Moun10Bike geocoins (and other M10B trackables) are all owned by Moun10Bike

but you are granted permission to hang on to them, if you like

the same is true of many personal and mystery geocoins

this is where the "discover/note only" feature comes in

if you have a trackable item that you want to share (at events, for example), put the item into your collection, and activate the "discover/note only" feature

that way, even somebody who has seen the tracking code cannot take possession of it

(as in "grab" or "retrieve" it)

if they can't have it in their inventory, they can't move it to their collection

I have not played with this, so I don't know the answer to technical questions

such as - what happens if an owner wants to change the status of a "collectible" item to "non-collectible"

is it allowed - if so, is the item moved back into "inventory"

what if it is in the collection of another member

and so on

but I believe (hope) that I have covered the basics

Thank you it seems a little better but:

If a trackable is at the default "Unknown" or "Non-Collectible" the owner can still move it into their Collection ("Unknown and Non-Collectible" are synonymous per Knowledge Base)

I still fail to see the purpose of person "B" placing Person "a"'s coin that they do not posses in their collection.

I do not know anything about the "discover/note only" feature - totally unaware and didn't see anything about it until this post... I will have to find out more.

Oh I see you are referring to the log - if it isn't in a cache then you only have 2 options when logging. IDK when Grab was removed but probably a good idea in some ways (course it could be that was that way all along and I just didn't notice - after all I'm not so bright to begin with).

This could be the resolve of one of my concerns. But leaves me wondering why it's not mentioned in the Knowledge Base with the discussion of Collections. For an item to be in your collection it can't be in a cache the way I understand it so far. It has to be in your inventory to be moved into your collection I think.

This leaves me wondering how person "B" could ever move Person "A"'s coin into their collection unless they actually retrieve/grab it from a cache via tracking number. If it was marked as Collectible and in the hands of the owner it gives you 3 options in a log - Discover / Note / Move to inventory - However, if it is default (Unknown / Non-Collectible) and still in the hands of - you only have 2 options to log - Discover / Note - which doesn't make much sense to me because if you go to your Tackable Collection you can move it to inventory??

Oh Man, my brain hurts... Maybe it's just me but it seems like it is way to complicated to be useful.

Sorry but I'm fairly certain you added to my confusion LOL But thanks for trying.

As of now it would appear you can't really move your collection into a cache/event - this is pretty popular in my neck of the woods. It would be totally cool if you could and keep it separated from the Real TBs in the cache/event.. So so far all I see is the ability to contain your collection/coins in a separate place online without using up GC#'s to do so and by doing so keep your active inventory smaller for ban width and logging purposes. That in it's self is pretty cool but still a PITA if you want to indicate its travels and show appreciation of a particular cache/event.

done moving 350+ trackables into my collection. Is there a way for others to view what is in your collection?

From what I've been able to gather .... no. Only by going through the old way of checking on your Trackables owned list off your profile.

As of now it would appear you can't really move your collection into a cache/event - this is pretty popular in my neck of the woods. It would be totally cool if you could and keep it separated from the Real TBs in the cache/event.. So so far all I see is the ability to contain your collection/coins in a separate place online without using up GC#'s to do so and by doing so keep your active inventory smaller for ban width and logging purposes. That in it's self is pretty cool but still a PITA if you want to indicate its travels and show appreciation of a particular cache/event.

You can still place your collection in events but as you always had to do it....grab it from you hideyhole cache to place it in Inventory and then drop to the event.... times the number of coins in your collection. So to track your collection at events you have to move each individual piece 2x to get it in and again 2x to put it back... for each and every piece. That's a lot of work if you ask me so why bother.

Yes that's totally a PITA and really shouldn't be. It's nice that the wizards are hard at work and trying to make improvements and they need feed back to measure the progress. I'm sure some of them do the same things we do and eventually it will render a change to make life better.

Many Thanks to all the efforts that go into managing a multi national multi level system with a pretty large account base. Hats Tip in their direction for sure!

So let me get this straight.

If I set the TB on my vehicle to "collectible" then I won't have to worry about it being logged into a cache but makes it easier to "dip" it?

But then if someone steals my vehicle they could simply say they were "collecting" it?

***The last part was meant for humor but the first part is a real question.

The feature is confusing to most. I think it should be removed, or at least explained in a mannor that non - hard core geocaches can understand.

The feature has to be explained in a mannor that a 8 year old can understand. Try it out on an 8 year old, if they understand it then great.

To be honest - after reading the pages and help files, I'm still not sure what this thing does. In my first reading it seems like if I set this incorrectly, then some other geocacher can take ownership of my trackables. but I don't think that is true.

However, the statement:

"The coin may be collected by another player."

Ts impossible for me to understand. Then if I set my trackable to collectible, other players can collect but if it is set to non-collectible - they can't collect. What the heck does collect mean?

Edited by Pokerfart