Oh you remember!

We all have those caches that embarassed us a little. We saw the rating and figured it to be a "park & grab", or something like that. We end up getting a DNF and then someone almost immediately posts a find on it. We go back and get bamboozled again.

Those "humblers" strike us all at some point, for me it was Boreham Playground! I went like three times to find this very large micro in the pine trees, I bring my buddies and they spot it before I even reached GZ!

Let's put pride aside and fess up to our blunder caches.

OK, I'll play...

In my case, it was GC1V5N7.

If you zoom all the way in on the Google map view, with the satellite images turned on, you'll know exactly where it is.

What can I say? I had only found six caches before I went after this one; only one of them was a micro. I had no idea that you could lift the skirt on a lamp post.

I posted my DNF; went back for a second attempt, and a third (but didn't post logs for those) and finally emailed the CO for a hint. He told me it was in an "enlightening" location. I still didn't get it. Then I spotted a hollow space under the lamp pole, and thought maybe it was hidden under there. I stuck my hand in the hole and felt around... nothing.

As I pulled my hand out, I accidentally lifted the skirt and the cache fell out!

This cache was originally a 1/1 cache hidden in a fairly easy manner. However, it's at a very popular park where there are muggles around most of the time.

I'm going to use the excuse that we had only been geocaching for a few months when we tried this one. It took us 5 visits and a maintenance trip by the owner to finally lay hands on it.

But it still sticks out as one of the most fun caches we have found.

With currently 20 finds or so, I have had this happen with one that I know about. I could not find an easy micro after looking for about 45 minutes, then I came back home to log a DNF and found a found it log with the same date... There was also one that I spent about 15 minutes looking for before I gave up, and the owner told me I was looking in exactly the right spot, I just wasn't seeing it. In my defense, that last one was during a rainstorm with the temperature probably being around freezing, so I didn't exactly look my hardest. There was one that I'm assuming was missing though. The description and clue narrowed it down to at this point on this pillar and it was this type of container. Only gave about a 1' radius as to where it was and I didn't find it.

GC1HVM5 is a 1/1.5, a magnet key holder on a bridge. I have found many like this one before. I can't seem to get this one. I don't know how many DNF's I have actually logged on it, but I have been there 4 or 5 times and still no find. People have even found it on the days I've been there. I don't know if I hate this one of love it. I haven't been in a while, but I'll probably be back there next week while I'm on vacation. (I'll probably spend my whole vacation looking for it.)

I have 2 which have been eluding me for the past month or so. Fortunately, I finally found one today. I was magnetic key holder on a bridge. I was just what I thought it was but for some reason it had taken me about 6 trips to find. Glad to finally be done with it.

The magnetic key holder on the bridge doesn't happen to be in Michigan does it? :( (see my earlier post)

There was one that had 100 finds with no DNFs. My wife and I searched for a half hour and came up empty. I was positive it was gone. 2 days later someone found it. Last I looked mine was still the only DNF.

That is the same is the one I mentioned above. 93 finds and 1 DNF -- MINE. There would be more DNF's I logged all my visits. I should bring my daughter, she'll probably find it in a minute.

GC1j1pe. I probably went back to this one 5 or 6 times. I talked to the CO and was assured I was in the right area. I recoginzed the hint, looked everywhere I could think of, and still no dice. Then one day I found another cache by the same CO and thought, "I'll go check out the Mini Forest again." Got it that time. In a spot I swear I'd looked before. I just got beat. Badly.

OK, I'll play...

If you zoom all the way in on the Google map view, with the satellite images turned on, you'll know exactly where it is.

What can I say? I had only found six caches before I went after this one; only one of them was a micro. I had no idea that you could lift the skirt on a lamp post.

I posted my DNF; went back for a second attempt, and a third (but didn't post logs for those) and finally emailed the CO for a hint. He told me it was in an "enlightening" location. I still didn't get it. Then I spotted a hollow space under the lamp pole, and thought maybe it was hidden under there. I stuck my hand in the hole and felt around... nothing.

As I pulled my hand out, I accidentally lifted the skirt and the cache fell out!

Ha! I'm a local! Thanks for the tip! Just printed out the info. :laughing:

Ha! I'm a local! Thanks for the tip! Just printed out the info. :laughing:

I hope I didn't spoil the hunt for you. I did look back through your finds so far, and I see one that might have been hidden the same way... or maybe not.

I hope I didn't spoil the hunt for you. I did look back through your finds so far, and I see one that might have been hidden the same way... or maybe not.

As you can see, I'm still a newbie (though I did a bit of the sport in the early 2000's). I can use all the help I can get! :laughing:

Seriously, yes, I did find a cache hidden the same way, and I would have stood there for a LONG time if a fellow cacher hadn't randomly passed by and dropped a hint.

The first lamp skirt I did took me a couple of tries. I thought the CO was a genius. Who knew that a lamp skirt would make a hiding spot? Then I did another that he placed in a similar spot and I thought, what a fun hide, this guy is on to something! (As an aside, I still think the CO is a genius, but for other reasons.)

Just yesterday I spent way too much time looking for an ammo can in a pretty obvious spot. My gpsr first took me about 50-60 feet from the cache and I misinterpreted the hint (both for the location and the style of hide). I looked at the spot where the cache was hidden and for some reason thought that it was too far away. The other logs referred to the great coordinates . Every time I circled the area I kept returning to the same spot. Of course, when I finally found the cache, my gpsr was within 10-15 feet. I blame it on the heat.

Edited by Erickson

It's a Trap Possibly my favorite cache of those I've found, too bad it was archived.

It took 2 trips for me to find a bright yellow cache hanging in plain sight. Only 3 DNFs total, and one of those was at night. 102 finds.

The outer container was a fake insect trap. Wish I'd taken a picture.

Edited by Mosaic55

Was working on a submission, guess I can post it here too.

--------------------------------------------------------

Some times geocaching isn't family friendly even when the cache is.

There is a cache who's hunt I will never forget.

Some would say I had lots of fun, other would disagree.

DNF: July 16, 2008 by Vater_Araignee

So the area is getting thoroughly trampled. After reseting 6 times and hitting GZ at the same spot I gave up because I couldn't find it any place I looked and I was not going under.

Try again later and hope I get a blue blinker instead of green.

NOTE: July 27, 2008 by D.A.D.D.

Considering all of the recent DNF's, we hopped on the bikes to check on things. All is well - it's right where it's supposed to be!

4 DNFs by others.

NOTE: August 22, 2008 by Vater_Araignee

Hey D.A.D.D.

Let me know when you are going to check on it again...

...So I can stake the place out!

Yet another DNF 4 me.

(This is about the time you start going "Aw poor Vater")

10 finds and 3 DNFs.

DNF: November 24, 2008 by Vater_Araignee

It was a cold and dreary day, no leaves where on the trees and it had just stopped snowing. I thought clear skies, no leaves, I can get a waas lock and find it!

NOPE!

Seems this spot hates my mio, I never get waas, I can only receive a max of 4 sats and every few seconds my distance to target changes from 2 - 90 feet and in a random direction. Frell yesterday it told me once that the target was inside the carpet store and the previous attempt it told me once that it was about 20 feet into the lake.

I figure with my max error I have 19965.69 square feet to search and in that much space even the hint doesn't help.

If you spot blood in the area it is probably from a frustrated nose bleed unless its on a tree, then I was just beating my own face in.

This is DNF 11 for Baby Boy Zukey I think..

(Aw poor Vater)

13 finds and 8 DNFs.

DNF: September 17, 2009 by Vater_Araignee

*sigh*

After I upgrade my software I'll try once more, If I fail I wont be back till I get a new receiver.

(Aw poor Vater)

2 DNFs.

MAINTENANCE: October 29, 2009 by D.A.D.D.

After receiving many emails from several cachers inquiring as to whether this cache was still in existence, we ventured out on this nice fall evening to check up on it. We enjoyed the walk from Chilson Commons across the boardwalk by moonlight, and then along the Lakeland Trail to the cache site. Illuminating our flashlights and descending to cache level, we discovered a natural obstacle that was not present when we placed this cache long ago. We quickly realized why so few had been able to find it as of late. So, removing footwear and such, we found the cache exactly in it's original placement, high and dry. Fully recognizing that not as many cachers are as adventurous as we can be, we decided to relocate the cache approximately 12 inches southwest. While this may not seem like much of a change, it will have a profound impact on most cachers ability to find, retrieve, and sign the log contained within. We hope that this cache will remain as much of a challenge as originally intended, while making it a bit more accessible for those less adventurous cachers! Happy Caching! Dave, Andrew, and Dylan (Team D.A.D.D.)

(Aw poor Vater)

FOUND IT: November 1, 2009 by Vater_Araignee

WAAS!

Got it between 2 tracks, then I reset several times from different locations to see if it was a fluke.

On the fourth time I had an indecent, the log I was standing on broke and I ended up crotching myself and bloodying my nose.(Aw poor Vater)

Wet up to my home team cold and angry I figured I was in for it and went under. Started ranting that it wasn't where my unit said it should be(Aw poor Vater), then my son screamed causing me to add a goose egg to the damage.(Aw poor Vater)

Back and fourth I search causing some retching from the stank I was mixing up.(Aw poor Vater)

Finally I gave up and came out, when I turned to return to the path I slipped(Aw poor Vater), I looked up "I FOUND YOU, YOU *&^%$% *&^#$^ I &^%&(*^ FOUND YOU!"

Then I got "THE LOOK" ya know the kind wives and mothers shoot that let you know as soon as you get into a private situation your dead.(Aw poor Vater)

But I did my victory stumble and signed the log. Then Sinnamon crushed my joy "To bad you didn't find it in its original spot."(Aw poor Vater)

I would call this "Aw poor Vater, that mean old Baby Boy Zukey" but three times I have walked past it and mumbled something or other and three times I have been smacked in the head for it. (Aw poor Vater)

--------------------------------------

I loved and hated that cache soooo much.

I would do it again.

Who here can top my DNFing an ammo can cache that was in plain sight on top of a hill?

Just in case you're feeling a little embarrassed about not finding that pesky nano. :)

I not only DNFd on an ammo can that was stuck under a very large fallen tree (but visible from 10' away), but it was a *golden* ammo can so it should have been even easier to see.

It was called Easy Cache.

May have been my 50th cache or so.

Took seven trips and a call to the owner, during which period it was found several times! :laughing:

Finally got some very specific instructions from the owner (go to this landmark, go down the hill look for a dead tree, it's under the frickin tree" DOH! :)

I had looked all around it, everywhere except where that gray ammo can was almost in plain sight. :laughing:

Mine was on a cache that is about 200 miles away that I DNFed on a trip. The cache itself was on a Pink Caddilac, and the hint even told you at which tire the cache was located. I looked on the top of the tire, looked for something tiny and magnetic on the back of the wheel and the hubcap, even looked around the fender well. Got back home and logged a DNF which stood out like a beacon amongst all the finds before and after. On my next trip months later I tired again, still looking for a well hidden micro. Almost ready to give up again, I looked right behind the tire and saw the water bottle on the ground :) How could I miss that!

I had less than 20 finds when I started looking for a cache which looks like an electrical face plate on a lamp post. Took three trips. I found it then because it moved when I accidently touched it. Learned a few helpful things from that cache.

Egads...I just found mine, finally. Started caching nine months ago and this was one of my very first DNFs. It's a 1/1 ammo can, hidden next to CO's yard. Supposedly pretty much an easy PnG. Found by folks with few finds.

First time I looked for it there was a doggie standing about six inches from where you needed to search, doggie on one side of the fence and me on the other. Big doggie. Barking loudly. Lots of big white teeth. Then the cache went missing before I got around to it again. Then it was back in action....and I couldn't find it. Embarrassed to have to post a DNF, but I did. I finally had to email the CO who confirmed it was still there and said that it was well hidden (a 1/1 mind you).

So today, in tandem with trying to keep a mini caching streak alive I went back, and brought my magnetic TOTT....and sure enough, buried deep in a mount of mulch (probably a good 4-5 inches under!) there was a smaller ammo can. The way the bushes are very thick and being hard to get in, high muggle traffic, the doggie, had I not brought my TOTT with today I may not have found it. I know that I looked there before, had my hands there, even lightly brushed top mulch away on that exact spot just two days ago, but simply wasn't looking for something buried like that as a 1/1. This dang 1/1 ammo can. In the same week that I found two D-4's within minutes of arriving on GZ, I couldn't find this 1/1/ammo can. Of course the D-4s were micros...maybe I've just gotten good at micros...and really stink at ammo cans?

Anyway, FINALLY have this one. Won't forget this one. Would like to, but won't. Now if I can just stop my eye from twitching everytime I say the word ammo can.... :blink:

It was called Easy Cache.

May have been my 50th cache or so.

Took seven trips and a call to the owner, during which period it was found several times! ;)

Finally got some very specific instructions from the owner (go to this landmark, go down the hill look for a dead tree, it's under the frickin tree" DOH! :rolleyes:

I had looked all around it, everywhere except where that gray ammo can was almost in plain sight. :)

"Easy Cache" killed me, too! Really it was not so easy, either terrain or find, and today may be a 3/3, although it was listed as a 1.5/1.5 at the time...too bad the hider dropped out...(or may be good?)

Had one just this afternoon. It was rated 1/1.5 so I took my mom out to it based on terrain (she's persistent and will finder harder finds but she's unable to navigate tough terrain). It was meant to be ridiculously easy. A giant neon ammo can in the woods with various pictures of it in it's hiding spot (which is right out in the open behind a rock). Can't miss it right?

I don't know what we did but the terrain wasn't a 1.5. Mom managed as best she could until the last 70 feet which became impassable for her. We wandered back and forth on a clear path area trying to find a way in after wandering earlier in an easier terrain searching for a huge rock. I bit the bullet and went in through the rough terrain. Found the cache but was literally heartbroken that mom couldn't see it because this was the one she really wanted to see. So I trekked around until I could find an easier way in for her which I did for that last 70 feet.

With all the wandering we did at that 1/1.5 cache because of tree cover and GPS hiccups and then terrain issues I was convinced this was going to be the easiest cache we were never going to find.

I tried to find a 1.5/1 so many times I lost count. It was off a main bike trail "a few steps" the only thing in the area was a county sign - it was metal. Ah hem... So the family and I looked we acutally looked at the sign for a few minutes and I even felt the inside but figured - nah nothing could really fit in there. And then I actually changed my jogging path to include that spot and stopped anytime there was no one else around. I had so much fun, and as the weeks went on - so many people kept logging how incredibly easy it was! Finally I was messing around one night on the internet and watched a video on geocaching basics that showed pics of nanos. Ah hem - took me about 4 seconds the next day to find it! Still get a big smile every time I jog by there! :rolleyes:

I had no idea that you could lift the skirt on a lamp post.

I feel so much better knowing that I'm not the only one! I found over 100 caches before ever finding a LPC; fortunately, there were only a couple I had DNF'd during that time that turned out to be LPCs.

I had no idea that you could lift the skirt on a lamp post.

I feel so much better knowing that I'm not the only one! I found over 100 caches before ever finding a LPC; fortunately, there were only a couple I had DNF'd during that time that turned out to be LPCs.

Add another sigh of relief! I was stumbling all around a parking lot climbing walls and making a general spectacle of myself when a fellow cacher just happened to be passing through on her way to the grocery store and told me to lift up the skirt. I did a face palm slap. Now, every time I pass a lamp post, I have the urge to run over and lift up the skirt to see if something is under there. :blink:

GC1HVM5 is a 1/1.5, a magnet key holder on a bridge. I have found many like this one before. I can't seem to get this one. I don't know how many DNF's I have actually logged on it, but I have been there 4 or 5 times and still no find. People have even found it on the days I've been there. I don't know if I hate this one of love it. I haven't been in a while, but I'll probably be back there next week while I'm on vacation. (I'll probably spend my whole vacation looking for it.)

I finally found it. It was easy too. I can't figure out how I missed all those times. It was a guard rail hide. I have found many of those. Weird.

The easiest one I haven't found and still don't know where it is is one located actually a little over a mile from my home.

Mississippi Blues Trail - Peavine

It was placed on June 27 and at the moment I'm writing this, there are four finds and one DNF. I'm the only DNF. The thing is, according to the hint, it's a magnetic keyholder so there are very very few places it could be out there.

It's right by the parking lot according to Google Earth's image and right there is only the following: a bench, a garbage can, a "Dead End" sign, and a marker talking about the trail.

My father and I have been out there twice looking for it while everyone else found it seemingly with ease on their first visit. I'm going to hopefully head out there tonight (it's across from some businesses) to see if we can find it.

It took us several weeks to figure out lamppost hides...we just didn't know about them. I didn't know you could lift that thing up...and didn't know that it was quite safe to do so. We had about 4 DNFs in our town on caches that everyone was saying "easy grab" until there was one that I knew was on/near the lamppost somewhere...and knew it was an altoids container...so eventually I jiggled the skirt and realized it was loose... It is very funny now, thinking back on it.

I now have a new addition to add to this thread. GC1MWFQ! It took me 3 tries (almost 1.5hrs) and I needed to ask for a previous finder to give me a hint. It hurt bad! It still hurts actually, like when you remove a splinter from your finger but it still feels like there is something stuck in there. I am sure the pain will diminish in time!

How well I do remember - it was just the other day, another fine example

GCA362 - Coast Guard Peer

I think the thing about this was, an area with such an enormous amount of possibility, I was so overwhelmed that I felt I had to look everywhere.

When I was beside myself in frustration on the 3rd visit, having searched long a couple times before, I re-read the page and hint and realized it was practically right in front of my. A couple minutes poking about and there it was. Gads.

I suppose it would be akin to approaching a rock garden and searching every and under every rock only to find it was a magnetic keyholder on the back of the sign post, just behind you all the time.

OK, I'll play...

They are hidden like this all the time

Enter Into Terror

I first went for it my 2nd day geocaching, there were 2 sets of sprinler pipes, one inside a small cage, and another exposed, the hint was "Pipe" So after reaching GZ, I start veering into trees and crap looking for a PVC pipe on the ground or something, logged it as a DNF claiming that "there was a new cage around the pipes that the cache must have been on" Came back with a couple hundred extra finds, and found it within 3 seconds, literally. I was SO embarrassed.