Trackables Collections

Dr.MORO

Thanks. I've just finished explicitly changing all my coins and my vehicle TB to "Not Collectible" and moving them from an unlisted / archived cache to my collection.

A friend is having a problems moving some TB's to their collection, though. They aren't ones that were transferred to him, though, which I've heard might be (or was) an issue.

A friend is having a problems moving some TB's to their collection, though. They aren't ones that were transferred to him, though, which I've heard might be (or was) an issue.

yes. you can only move TBs/GCs to your collection if either you own them, or they've been explicitly set to "collectible" by the respective owner.

Edited by dfx

i opened a thread about an issue i noticed with the collectibles and thanks to Dr Moro for pointing me to this thread, the mods i guess couldn't be bothered to do so, i waited for 2 days for a reply

anyway sorry if this was mentioned before, but i really have no time to read 7 pages....

i like this feature very much, however we have just noticed that there is an option in the log type to "grab it"

that should definitely not be allowed and should be removed

Edited by t4e

i opened a thread about an issue i noticed with the collectibles and thanks to Dr Moro for pointing me to this thread, the mods i guess couldn't be bothered to do so, i waited for 2 days for a reply

anyway sorry if this was mentioned before, but i really have no time to read 7 pages....

i like this feature very much, however we have just noticed that there is an option in the log type to "grab it"

Why should the "grab it" log not be allowed? What is someone supposed to do if they find a trackable in a cache that the trackable isn't located in?

Why should the "grab it" log not be allowed? What is someone supposed to do if they find a trackable in a cache that the trackable isn't located in?

do you actually understand the concept behind the new feature?

]3.3. Trackable Collections

Trackable owners now have the option to set the status of their owned trackable items as "Collectible" or "Non-Collectible." This is done from the "Edit this Trackable Item" link on the Trackable listing. Collectible functionality allows for the Trackables to live in an individual geocacher's collection rather than moving from geocache to geocache.

the whole idea is that they will never leave my possession they are for discovery only...if they never leave my possession why should someone have the option to "grab" it from me?

makes no sense whatsoever

]3.3. Trackable Collections

Trackable owners now have the option to set the status of their owned trackable items as "Collectible" or "Non-Collectible." This is done from the "Edit this Trackable Item" link on the Trackable listing. Collectible functionality allows for the Trackables to live in an individual geocacher's collection rather than moving from geocache to geocache.

the whole idea is that they will never leave my possession they are for discovery only...if they never leave my possession why should someone have the option to "grab" it from me?

Suppose you trade coins at an event. You give someone a coin in your collection in exchange for one in his collection. You both want to keep ownership of your original coin (or its a collectible coin owned by someone else). Now how will someone move the coin from your collection to his. He would have to wait for you to move the coin to your inventory so he could then grab it. Seems simpler to just let him grab it right from your collection.

Or as, Corfman Clan suggest, someone has a coin in their collection. They forgot it was in their collection and dropped it in a cache. Then they couldn't figure out that have to move the coin from their collection to their inventory to the cache, so it remains in their collection. If someone finds the coin in the cache, shouldn't they be able to grab it? Or is it better to have a coin that can't be logged becuase someone has it in their collection?

If the coin is in your physical posession what it the problem if someone accidentally grabs the coin instead of discovering it. You will get a notice (assuming you own the coin) and can easily grab it back. Instead of hiding certain logging options trying to force people to use the correct logs, maybe its wiser to leave some options that could be useful for correcting other errors that happen when coins are moved or discovered.

Frankly, I think I understand the concept better than you.

Can you tell whether I have a trackable in my collection or my inventory? Not if I delete the log stating I moved it into my collection. As far as you can tell, the trackable is located in my hands. There is no outward appearance whether the trackable is in my collection or inventory. As such, how one can log a trackable should not be impacted in any way by whether the trackable is in a collection or inventory.

Here's a couple of questions for you. Do you really want to close the ability to fix where a trackable is located or do you want it to get stuck in someone's collection? Do you really have problems with people grabbing trackables from you? It should be easy enough to grab them back.

Suppose you trade coins at an event. You give someone a coin in your collection in exchange for one in his collection. You both want to keep ownership of your original coin (or its a collectible coin owned by someone else). Now how will someone move the coin from your collection to his. He would have to wait for you to move the coin to your inventory so he could then grab it. Seems simpler to just let him grab it right from your collection.

i have no intention of trading my collectible inventory

and yes, it is a lot easier IMO to just move it over to the Inventory, which will make it very clear that if i want to give it to someone else is in Inventory rather than Collection

Or as, Corfman Clan suggest, someone has a coin in their collection. They forgot it was in their collection and dropped it in a cache. Then they couldn't figure out that have to move the coin from their collection to their inventory to the cache, so it remains in their collection. If someone finds the coin in the cache, shouldn't they be able to grab it? Or is it better to have a coin that can't be logged becuase someone has it in their collection?

i doubt anyone goes caching with their collection in their bag

i don't take mine out, i only take the ones that need to be dropped off

If the coin is in your physical posession what it the problem if someone accidentally grabs the coin instead of discovering it. You will get a notice (assuming you own the coin) and can easily grab it back. Instead of hiding certain logging options trying to force people to use the correct logs, maybe its wiser to leave some options that could be useful for correcting other errors that happen when coins are moved or discovered.

that is the whole point, "accidentally grabbing it"...they are in the collection for a reason...not to travel

Frankly, I think I understand the concept better than you.

Can you tell whether I have a trackable in my collection or my inventory? Not if I delete the log stating I moved it into my collection. As far as you can tell, the trackable is located in my hands. There is no outward appearance whether the trackable is in my collection or inventory. As such, how one can log a trackable should not be impacted in any way by whether the trackable is in a collection or inventory.

judging by the above statement, i don't think you do...

right now i can't, that's the whole point i am trying to make

simply having the option only to log a "discover" or a "note" makes it obvious that is not a traveler but a collectible

Here's a couple of questions for you. Do you really want to close the ability to fix where a trackable is located or do you want it to get stuck in someone's collection? Do you really have problems with people grabbing trackables from you? It should be easy enough to grab them back.

again that statement tells me you do not understand the whole idea behind the "collectible" feature

if you read the quote in my previous post it clearly states is for TB and Coins that will never leave the owner's possession, as such there is nothing to fix and they can't get stuck anywhere

you are referring to regular trackables that have not been logged and you find them in a cache, so that is a case where you need the "grab" feature...not for my personal collection

Inventory and Collection are two different kinds of animals with different purpose

if the owner should wish to let the TB or Coin travel, they can simply move it to Inventory

yes, i have a problem with people grabbing them, the only option they should have is to "discover" them

when i take them to events they go on the "discover only" section, i have tickets with the tracking numbers and everyone can take one and log their discover

Edited by t4e

I really don't like this new feature at all. I understand if it's your own coin collection and you want to keep them from being swiped, but personal trackables like vehicle bugs, patches, etc. could get swiped by some idiot and placed in his collection. So if there is not a way to grab it back what would you do? They should of just put an optional lock that you could put on an item you own so that someone else can't take it. Don't like the idea that anyone can take any bug or coin they find and put it in their own collection. Seems that gives the wrong impression that they can just grab and keep anything they want.

I really don't like this new feature at all. I understand if it's your own coin collection and you want to keep them from being swiped, but personal trackables like vehicle bugs, patches, etc. could get swiped by some idiot and placed in his collection. So if there is not a way to grab it back what would you do? They should of just put an optional lock that you could put on an item you own so that someone else can't take it. Don't like the idea that anyone can take any bug or coin they find and put it in their own collection. Seems that gives the wrong impression that they can just grab and keep anything they want.

You misunderstand. They cannot collect your trackable unless you specifically mark it as collectible. The default if you do nothing is "non-collectible".

You misunderstand. They cannot collect your trackable unless you specifically mark it as collectible. The default if you do nothing is "non-collectible".

Oh ok my mistake.

I like the practice of dropping coins I am bringing to an event in the event cache so others can see it will be at the event and for ease of logging for event attendees and to track "mileage". If I put all of my "collectible" (for discovery only, not moving) coins in my collection, then I can no longer drop them in the event prior to attending. (without moving them back to inventory and then dropping) or am I misunderstanding something???

I don't want to stop doing this practice (logging coins into events for discovery) but I like the idea of having a collection.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could drop your collection in the event and retrieve it from the event? Or make small "collections" (more than 1) say for instance "cheeto's discovery collection" which would be a group of coins I would like to take to certain events.

Since I'm talking about the practice of logging coins into events (sorry going a bit off-topic...), It would be nice if I could move multiple trackables out of the event at the same time. It always seems so Easy to drop many coins in and so Hard to get them back out. Add on top of that, that I the owner has to type in the tracking number to move each one out and it sure is much harder. Perhaps a baby step is not require the owner to type in the ID. Perhaps pie in the sky would be the ability to create a "collection" (or whatever you want to call it) that I can drop and retrieve from a cache/event.

Ideally, we could have:

1. many small collections (I'd call them boxes of trackables)

2. each box could have some attributes:

1. no-grab - items in this box cannot be grabbed by others (but the TB owner

should always be allowed to!)

2. keep - items in this box can be dropped into a cache but stay in the box

also!

3. virtual: keeps a virtual record TBs that really live elsewhere (a bit like the

watchlist)

4. notify - email me when something happens to TBS or the box

Users should be able to set up several of these to organize them as they want. Say limit them to 15 or so ..

3. boxes should be able to be dropped into caches in one go (ie all the items in there go into the cache in one go). if the box was marked 'keep' the items stay in the box too (virtually) and should be retrievable only by the holder (box owner), again in one transaction. If the box was not marked keep, the item will move into the cache for good.

This would of course require that items can be in caches only for show (while staying in the box) for the purpose of being discovered only.

Boxes should be dippable, dipping all their contents into/out of a cache for mileage purposes in one transaction.

This way I would organize myself as follows:

1. a box with my 'collection', marked [X] keep [X] no-grab

which I keep my items I like to show at meetings etc.

2. a box 'mileage' with my mileage markers, also marked [X] keep [X] no-grab

that I dip into each cache

3. a box 'for the next hotel' into which I place items that I need to drop into the

next TB hotel. marked [ ] keep [X] no-grab, I can drop this in one go into

the next TB hotel and the travelers would go into the cache and out of this box.

Advantage: I don't forget logging single items. In fact, I'd likely have a small pouch in which all the items rest physically, so even physically depositing them is a one-step op.

4. a box 'my TBs' marked [X] virtual in which I keep my TBs that I have sent out.

[X] virtual will mean the item realy lives in some caches somewhere or with some other cacher, but this box keeps track of them.

5. another virtual box 'nice TBs' where I can keep a virtual link to some other TBS I found over time and want to keep an eye on (like the watchlist for TBS).

Some features I think would be nice to add to the collections concept:

• Ability to create and name various collections
  • Ability to drop a whole collection into a cache.
  • Ability to remove the collection from a cache
  • A bulk mechanism to move travelers into/out of a collection
  • The abiltiy to list more than ten items in a collection at a time
  • A bulk mechanism to mark travelers as collectible or not

I think these are all excellent ideas. Although I would change the wording to:

• Ability to create and name various subsets within your inventory or collection
  • Ability to drop a whole subset into a cache
  • Ability to remove the subset from a cache with a single action
  • A bulk mechanism to move travelers into/out of a subset
  • The abiltiy to list more than ten items in a subset at a time
  • A bulk mechanism to mark travelers as collectible or not

For example, I may want to bring a subset of trackables from my personal collection to an event for others to discover. But I may also want to works with subsets from inventory. I have a bag of trackables I am taking to GW VIII. I will be visiting the Original Stash and the APE cache first. I want to be able to "dip" the whole subset into these caches with a single action.

And speaking of "dipping", it would be nice to have a log type for this on the TB page so that you do not have to first drop and then retrieve the TB. It should be a choice to dip with a single action for both single TBs and for subsets of TBs.

I can see that there are those that have thought this through much more than me but because I posted this in the "Other" thread and it seems perhaps it would be better addressed here on "This" thread I've C&Ped it... IDK if that is the right thing or not but I'm giving it a shot...

I must be dumber than a bag of hammers... I still do not get it.

My confusion and I get this weird sensation I'm not alone is the "Status Types":

Collectible

The coin may be collected by another player.

Non-Collectible

The coin cannot be collected and should continue its travels from geocache to geocache.

Unknown

The owner did not choose Collectible or Non-Collectible upon activation. These items cannot be collected by another player.

Status Types; Can Be Collected / Cannot Be Collected - this is extremely confusing to me. I have a large collection with a dummy archived cache as a vault - I've been collecting and sending coins and TBs out for years now without any confusion and fairly good success rate. Although I understand and appreciate the major improvement for having a spot to place my private collection rather than a dummy GC. The Collection and Inventory concept is an awesome idea. It's the Status part that is apt to cause many problems and confusion for many of us and especially newbies. At a time when so many newbies are getting involved and not necessarily getting the proper introduction or education before jumping in it would seem this could have disastrous results.

The way I see it is the "Status" is a huge waste of time and effort as I think it's a safe bet NOBODY will want their coins or TBs Collected by another player ever! Thus all will remain as "Unknown".

In my stupidity, I think that setting the Status to "Collectible" should mean this is a Coin/TB that is part of a private collection and not released into the wild - thus another player Can Not Keep it or Collect it.

Further a Non-Collectible would mean it is not part of a collection and thus would travel from cache to cache and I guess the thieves/uninformed could keep it if they so choose to be scum bags.

In fact I'm thinking that the wording it's self could be part of the problem.

Say if you made it "Collection" , "Non-Collection" or "Unknown" item as the status then:

"Collection" would indicate it is part of a collection that most likely would not be out traveling the world from cache to cache and is part of a players collection that might be brought to events for discoveries.

Further as a Database key this could allow an owner (providing it was programed for) to move the collection into the Event/Cache - in the Cache page's inventory it could show up as "Collection" indicating to all that the item is not really in the cache and is part of a collection and just there for Discoveries.

"Non-collection" would indicate the item was placed into the cache for someone to pick up and continue its journey. Again this would make for a nifty Database key (if so programed) allowing separation on a cache page inventory/history. Helpful to those that are trying to sort out what TBs are really placed into the cache and which were just dipped for mileage/discoveries. Typically the cache page owner.

"Unknown" Well this would mean its anyones guess and the default should be the same as it ever was - or the same as "Non-collectable".

Now I do understand that the principal is basically the same - to me it is far clearer and there would be NO MENTION of Collectible by other players - that is just an out and out suggestion for people collect the Coins & TBs (just plain stupid IMHO) and that is enough to discourage anyone from placing them out in the wild. To me it is like a BP attempt at fixing the oil disaster... An Obvious problem exist and the solution is worse then the initial problem or a mere no so well thought out solution that just makes it worse.

If you want another player to keep your coin - as in you are selling or gifting then that is what Adoptions are for.

I know that this concept was initiated after many hours of deliberation and thought by humans with far superior intelligence than I and that I'm but a mere mortal low life that as mentioned before dumber that a bag of hammers...

I do hope some intellectual out there will help me to understand - please help!

Until then it seems my best bet is not to dabble with this new concept or if I should embark on it perhaps leave all as Unknown until clarification makes some remote amount of sense.

Whatever the response please be kind I mean no harm and as I stated several times I'm dumber than a bag of hammers so be amiable...

I had added a second notation so I'm combining it here (Hope that's Ok)

I would like to add one more little consideration - if this was set up to make it easier then perhaps the moving of ones Collection into inventory in order to dip it into a cache for whatever the reason could be handled differently.

Say you want to put your collection in a Event - if it were made possible one could dump from "Collection" to the Cache Inventory without actually placing in the Cachers inventory first. After all it's not really in a physical cache and at the end of the day it would be put back into the cachers collection.

You would have 2 Two selections - your inventory and your collection. Or the inventory from a log and straight from your collection into a cache page. Perhaps the wizards could make it so you could move the collection or parts thereof into a cache page inventory and back out with out cluttering up the cache page log - it would show up in the inventory and in the history as a "Collection item" keeping it separate from the actual and thus also keeping it from being in the cachers inventory...

Just another thought from the peanut gallery.

I like the other thoughts on this thread and if they were utilized this could be the coolest thing since the advent of Geocaching...

I log into this forum and topic for the first time and discover sooooooo many things to think about I believe my brain might crash. If ignorance is bliss I have been blissful ever since I started geocaching three years ago . I have two TB in the Wild and one GC which went to the FTF of my cache. Frankly I didn't have a clue that there was even "grabing", "dipping", "collecting", "milage", "discover", etc until now. It seems to me (the super un initiated) that a collection is like stamps, the contents belong to the owner and so if the owner doesn't want them to travel why activate them. The way I "collect" TB/GCs is to take a picture of them. I don't understand dipping and what it has to do with milage. Personally, I thought the object of travelers was that the TB or GC would travel due to actions by someone other than the owner. I think I understand "discover" as being that if you find a TB/GC in a cache and don't want to help it on its way but you still want to note it's existance you can use "discover". This provides you with some record of the discovery and lets the owner know that it is still in the cache.

I suppose I've ticked a whole bunch of cachers off so let me apologize for my ignorance.

I think the whole thing is getting too complicated.

Edited by hamcamper

I agree. The coins in my collection are unactivated and are for me alone. I could care a less about mileage because they are not going anywhere. The ones I've sent out are for others to discover and move along and if someone steals them, then that's the kind of person they are and would probably steal a sucker from a child. You can't stop ignorance. If you find something in a cache and it's not yours, then it belongs to someone else and you move it along. I have found many neat coins and trackables that I would have liked to keep, but instead searched ebay and other websites to try and find them for my personal collection. Personally I think the whole thing was fine the way it was before the changes. :grin:

Shouldn't assume a transfer in ownership would be possible, or that the owner would want to transfer or manage the overhead. Any traveller I should be able to consdier part of my colleciton whether I own it or not.

A few jeeps out there I know would fit this description...

This is a BAD new feature. It is impossible for most to understand. ESPECIALLY NEWBIES!!!!

This seems like a advanced hardcore feature for a small number of people that like to activate trackables but not release them. A simple "Hide from inventory" function would be fine, the other is let them just deal with it. A trackable that is not released - well why does it need to be tracked?

I can see lots of trackables going lost to newbies becasue they do not understand.

Heck, I don't understand. I'm in software for a living, and this collectible/non issue is hurting my brain. It feels like one of those features where the software engineers got left alone too long. They don't live in the same world as the rest of us and sometimes need translators. (No offense, I was one once untl retirement)

This is something that needs to change. It is causing those of us light users too much issue.

Edited by Pokerfart

A simple "Hide from inventory" function would be fine

That's essentially all it is. People are making more out of it than they ought to.

More info about how collections work in the Travel Bug FAQ page would probably reduce the confusion about them. I've had to do an experiment to find out what log options others get when something is in my collection.

The one thing that is missing is an easy way, preferably in bulk, to transfer stuff from my collection directly into a cache while turning off the collectible setting and vice-versa.

I've read through most of the posts in this thread and I'm still a bit confused...

I had moved all of my trackables that I keep in my book for allowing others to discover into my personal "collection". Now I see I can set the item's status to "collectible" or "non-collectible" Based on the definitions in the knowledge book, I'm not sure what status to give to these items.

From the knowledge book:

Collectible: The coin may be collected by another player.

Non-Collectible: The coin cannot be collected and should continue its travels from geocache to geocache.

In my case, my trackables are in my collection, should not be collected by other players nor should they travel from geocache to geocache.

My best guess is that my trackables should be set to "non-collectible" but that seems at odds with being in my collection.

Perhaps the definitions need to be refined or another state needs to be defined?

In my case, my trackables are in my collection, should not be collected by other players nor should they travel from geocache to geocache.

My best guess is that my trackables should be set to "non-collectible" but that seems at odds with being in my collection.

I have mine set to collectible. When they're in my collection, the only log types other people get is "Write Note" and "Discovered It" which is what I want.

Someone else mentioned that if you set them to "non-collectible" it will force them out of a collection.

I have mine set to collectible. When they're in my collection, the only log types other people get is "Write Note" and "Discovered It" which is what I want.

Someone else mentioned that if you set them to "non-collectible" it will force them out of a collection.

Thanks! That was the kind of answer I was looking for!

I think I finally understand this now. I’ve read lots of the information on this subject and there’s plenty of confusion out there.

My summary:

I can move trackables I own to my Collection, regardless of their Collectible/Non-Collectible Status.

I can move trackables I don’t own to my Collection only if their status has been set to Collectible by their owner.

If a trackable’s status is Non-Collectible or Unknown, a cacher who is not the owner cannot move it to their Collection.

If the above three statements are correct, I see no need for me to set any of my trackables’ statuses. They can all stay at Unknown status – because that means that nobody except me can move them to their Collection. Which is good news, it’s saved me a job.

I still don’t like the “owner has not set their collectible preference” message though. If Unknown and Non-Collectible behave in the same way, the default status should be Non-Collectible, and the default message should be “this trackable is travelling between caches and is not collectible”.

I can move trackables I own to my Collection, regardless of their Collectible/Non-Collectible Status.

I didn't know about this one. Would have saved me a bit of time setting my trackables to collectible so I could log them into my collection. That was before I knew about the "Move to collection" link in the Trackables Inventory page.

I didn't know about this one. Would have saved me a bit of time setting my trackables to collectible so I could log them into my collection. That was before I knew about the "Move to collection" link in the Trackables Inventory page.

I came at it the other way round, I found the "Move to Collection" link before I saw the Collectible/Non-Collectible status. I successfully moved a trackable to my Collection, then realised it had a Status of Unknown. That made me think - what's the Collectible status for in that case???

As far as I can see, the only point of the Collectible status is to cater for a situation I have never experienced in reality - that of a trackable's owner freely allowing another cacher to move the trackable into their Collection. I've come across unactivated trackables, e.g. FTF prizes, where the cacher who gets FTF 'wins' the trackable and can do with it as they see fit. But I have never heard of a trackable owner wanting other cachers to keep their trackables. Maybe it's just something that doesn't happen here in the UK. Can't see it catching on though :ph34r:

As far as I can see, the only point of the Collectible status is to cater for a situation I have never experienced in reality - that of a trackable's owner freely allowing another cacher to move the trackable into their Collection. I've come across unactivated trackables, e.g. FTF prizes, where the cacher who gets FTF 'wins' the trackable and can do with it as they see fit. But I have never heard of a trackable owner wanting other cachers to keep their trackables. Maybe it's just something that doesn't happen here in the UK. Can't see it catching on though :ph34r:

I've never heard of anybody doing this either. If you want somebody to keep the trackable that you activated and released then you transfer ownership. I've never seen a trackable that was activated and released with a mission of "keep me forever".

It's like somebody got pathtags and trackables mixed up.

As far as I can see, the only point of the Collectible status is to cater for a situation I have never experienced in reality - that of a trackable's owner freely allowing another cacher to move the trackable into their Collection.

Now that I know that you can always move your own trackables into your own collection regardless of their trackable setting, having the trackable setting make no sense to me.

Why would anyone want their trackable in someone else's collection?

As far as I can see, the only point of the Collectible status is to cater for a situation I have never experienced in reality - that of a trackable's owner freely allowing another cacher to move the trackable into their Collection.

Now that I know that you can always move your own trackables into your own collection regardless of their trackable setting, having the trackable setting make no sense to me.

Why would anyone want their trackable in someone else's collection?

I have absolutely no idea!

I'd really like to know if there is a valid reason, because at the moment it looks as if resources have been wasted in developing it. Which is a great shame, seeing as there are so many other great ideas yet to be developed on the site.

I'd really like to know if there is a valid reason, because at the moment it looks as if resources have been wasted in developing it. Which is a great shame, seeing as there are so many other great ideas yet to be developed on the site.

Not really. The personal collection part of it is great and was probably the bulk of the work. Having the option to allow your trackables in someone else's collection just builds on that and wouldn't be that much effort.

I just found out about this feature today. I had to a forum search after noticing seeing "The owner hasn't set their collectible preference" on the pages for my geocoins. This feature is nice since it will allow you keep your travelers off the inventory list. I like to move mine for mileage though. That is a pain with 200+ coins. It would be nice to log each coin without having to remove them one at a time. Here's my idea. Sorry if it has been posted already.

For traditional, multi, unknown, etc. caches:

Have one box below the "encrypt log" box that allows you to "dip" your collection. That will allow you to add the mileage to the coins all at once.

For events you could add two boxes:

One to drop off the collection when you select "will attend" or "write note." The other could be something along the lines of "remove collection." That way your collection will show up in the inventory. You might be able to use the option with other cache types too. That is if the software will support this method. Select both boxes when you log that you found the cache. That way it will "dip" your collection without any additional work.

I too find the current wording of collections close to incomprehensible.

My reading is:

- a collection contain trackable items in your possession which do 'not' move from cache to cache. Other players may not grab such items, but they may discover them.

Is that about right ?

Also, it seems that the collection feature doesn't work for old items that were activated before the collections feature existed. This seems pretty weak. I have a bunch of coins that I'd like to get into my 'collection' on the website but that seems somehow impossible. Is there any way to do that ?

(update - there is a way - grab the coin from yourself. Then you can move it. Bizarre.)

Edited by vds

At the very most, maybe there can be a system in place where I as the owner can transfer ownership of a trackable to someone else, at my own discretion.

Please See www.geocaching.com/adopt . Not only does this work with NON Archived Caches, but TBs as well.

The Steaks

Wow I'm not the only one...

Wondering what the Lackeys are thinking about the comments we are making. I know they have been busy lately so perhaps it's just been over looked.

For those that don't understand Private Collections perhaps you will a little later. Those of us that do this so we can share with others are not the minority. There are many facets to this game/sport and the best part is it's unique individualism.

For those that don't understand Private Collections perhaps you will a little later. Those of us that do this so we can share with others are not the minority. There are many facets to this game/sport and the best part is it's unique individualism.

Most people understand having your own trackables in your own collection. What people don't understand is why you'd want your trackables in someone else's collection. It's the second thing I want an explanation for.

Most people understand having your own trackables in your own collection. What people don't understand is why you'd want your trackables in someone else's collection. It's the second thing I want an explanation for.

How about this.

Someone get a bunch of personal geocoins. Some travel but most are given to or traded with other coin collectors. The original owner want to get notification of logs to all the coins wheter the coins travels or is in someone else's collection and gets discovered at events. Rather than adopting the traded coins to the new collector and putting them on the watchlist, the original owner can maintain ownership and just mark the coin collectible so the new owner can take it out of there inventory and put in in their "collection". If the new owner wants notification they can watchlist the coin.

What I want an explanation is why a coin owner who has physical possession of a coin, is so concerned that a the coin not be marked as collectible to keep some from "grabbing" the coin and putting it their "collection". You have possesion of the coin. Someone who foolishly believe that because the have a tracking number they can "claim" to have coin in their "collection" is soon going to find that you can "grab" it back easily enough. If they want to get into a tug-of-war over who has some "virtual" possesion of a coin, you might as well let them have it. You still have possession of the real coin and can let people discover it if you want to.

Someone get a bunch of personal geocoins. Some travel but most are given to or traded with other coin collectors. The original owner want to get notification of logs to all the coins wheter the coins travels or is in someone else's collection and gets discovered at events. Rather than adopting the traded coins to the new collector and putting them on the watchlist, the original owner can maintain ownership and just mark the coin collectible so the new owner can take it out of there inventory and put in in their "collection". If the new owner wants notification they can watchlist the coin.

So in effect you're just swapping who gets notified by being owner and who gets notified by watching. The original owner could have just kept it in their own collection and the net effect would be exactly the same.

If I were the new owner, I'd want ownership. It's like buying a used car but not getting the ownership transferred.

I'm not saying your scenario is invalid, I just can't grasp why anyone would want to do it this way.

What I want an explanation is why a coin owner who has physical possession of a coin, is so concerned that a the coin not be marked as collectible to keep some from "grabbing" the coin and putting it their "collection". You have possesion of the coin. Someone who foolishly believe that because the have a tracking number they can "claim" to have coin in their "collection" is soon going to find that you can "grab" it back easily enough. If they want to get into a tug-of-war over who has some "virtual" possesion of a coin, you might as well let them have it. You still have possession of the real coin and can let people discover it if you want to.

This one is a little weird. If you have physical possession of your coin just drop it in your own collection. That stops anyone else from putting it in theirs. Problem solved.

read few pages back, where i extensively explained why i was asking for the "Grab" option to be removed from the collection items

however that issue has been fixed, the "Grab" is gone, you can only "discover" or post a note

i seriously don't understand how such a simple and great feature can be so incomprehensible to so many

i seriously don't understand how such a simple and great feature can be so incomprehensible to so many

What started as a simple feature to simply allow people with large collections of geocoins to not have them show up in their inventory, has become complicated (though not necessarilly incomprehesible) in response to a few geocoin owners who wanted to use it to enforce their particular choices for how they deal with collecting geocoins. Now, if I want to keep ownership of my coins that I've traded to some other collector, I have to jump through hoops, just because some coin owners couldn't comprehend this preference. They have forced changes to fit their preferences even though the original implementation would have worked just as well for them.

Before: If a coin was collectible then anyone who had the coin in their inventory could move it to their collection. If the coin was not collectible it could not be put in anyone's collection. Anyone who had the tracking number could grab the coin or discover the coin. (I understand the reason for changing the default for when collectiblity was not specified, from collectible to not collectible, to prevent a person who finds a travelling geocoin from putting in their "collection" and keeping it. I imagine coins will still be kept by some people but at least they can't say "I thought that it was OK because the system let me move the coin to my "collection").

Now: If a coin is collectible they anyone who has the coin in their inventory can move it to their collection. If the coin is not collectible then only the coin owner who has the coin in their inventory can move the coin to their collection. Anyone who has the tracking number can discover the coin. Only the collection owner may move the coin from the collection to their inventory. (Question: can a coin owner grab their coin if it is in someone else's collection?)

What started as a simple feature to simply allow people with large collections of geocoins to not have them show up in their inventory, has become complicated (though not necessarilly incomprehesible) in response to a few geocoin owners who wanted to use it to enforce their particular choices for how they deal with collecting geocoins. Now, if I want to keep ownership of my coins that I've traded to some other collector, I have to jump through hoops, just because some coin owners couldn't comprehend this preference. They have forced changes to fit their preferences even though the original implementation would have worked just as well for them.

What hoops do you have to jump through? It's just one extra step now when you want to make a trade.

Before: If a coin was collectible then anyone who had the coin in their inventory could move it to their collection.

Now: If a coin is collectible they anyone who has the coin in their inventory can move it to their collection.

No change here.

Before: If the coin was not collectible it could not be put in anyone's collection.

Now: If the coin is not collectible then only the coin owner who has the coin in their inventory can move the coin to their collection.

That's a good improvement.

Before: Anyone who had the tracking number could grab the coin or discover the coin.

After: Anyone who has the tracking number can discover the coin. Only the collection owner may move the coin from the collection to their inventory.

Not being able to grab a coin out of someone's collection is a good thing. Collectible coins are not meant to move around. If one is traded it should be moved out of the collection first.

For the rare case someone forgets and stops responding to emails, the real owner can force it out of the collection by temporarily setting it to non-collectible.

(Question: can a coin owner grab their coin if it is in someone else's collection?)

No, but they can force it out first then grab it.

Before: If a coin was collectible then anyone who had the coin in their inventory could move it to their collection.

Now: If a coin is collectible they anyone who has the coin in their inventory can move it to their collection.

i am not going to reply to everything since Avernar did such a good job

what you mean "before" and "after"?...there was no collection option before

There were two minor changes to the way collections worked not to long after the feature was added. "Before" is before the change and "Now" is after the change.

There were two minor changes to the way collections worked not to long after the feature was added. "Before" is before the change and "Now" is after the change.

the one that interested me the most and i adamantly argued for it was to take away the ability to grab a trackable out of a collection, which has been fixed now

the only flaw in the current set up of the collectible option is the fact that you have to manually move them around if you want to drop them into an event, that indeed is a royal pain

...and yesterday's site update has left all my coins stranded in my collection.

There is NO option to move them to my inventory. :P

Worked fine for me. You have to go to 'Your collection' and then you can move items to your inventory.

It's a pain though. I wish one could

a) dip items from a collection (note: 'a' collection, I'd like more than one with diff protections)

:laughing: move them quickly, instead one-by-one