Trackables Collections

Dr.MORO

The only problem I see with your solution are those few cases, such as Moun10bike coins and a few others (even a TB or 2 I was given to keep - I know. Long story.). They are activated and owned by someone else but were given to me and are, in fact, in my collection.

This is where the ability to transfer ownership would come in :(

Funny you should say that. I just tried to move a coin that was transferred to my ownership to my own collection and while the option to set it's collectible status is there (and enabled), I can't enter a Move to my Collection log - it's just not in the drop-down list of log types.

The coin is in my possession (it's the only coin still in my inventory that I haven't been able to move to my collection) and is owned by my account, it's set to collectible. The only thing that's different is that it wasn't my coin originally. It was adopted to my account just over a year ago:

no-my-collection2.png

no-my-collection.png

I would like the ability to have "Collection" show up in your inventory when logging caches. That way I can keep the coins in a collection and be able to log all of my held coins to add miles to the caches I visit and then be able to grab them all back instead of logging them all individually. And it would be nice with that feature to only receive one email saying your collection has been logged in or out of a cache instead of millions of them.

The only problem I see with your solution are those few cases, such as Moun10bike coins and a few others (even a TB or 2 I was given to keep - I know. Long story.). They are activated and owned by someone else but were given to me and are, in fact, in my collection.

This is where the ability to transfer ownership would come in :(

Only if the owner wants to change ownership. Several people "own" travelers but give them out to other people. It's my understanding that Moun10bike wants to retain ownership of his coins he has given to others. When I visited the Lily pad, I was given a 2008 GS Lackey geocoin. It is owned by Signal the Frog. I put it in my collection, but now it has been removed and is stuck in my inventory. I'd like it back in my collection. I also have a PurplePaws geocoin. PurplePaws want to be the owners, but it is mine to keep, a gift, that now, I cannot put in my collection unless they go out of their way to mark it as collectible.

Edited by Corfman Clan
Funny you should say that. I just tried to move a coin that was transferred to my ownership to my own collection and while the option to set it's collectible status is there (and enabled), I can't enter a Move to my Collection log - it's just not in the drop-down list of log types.

The coin is in my possession (it's the only coin still in my inventory that I haven't been able to move to my collection) and is owned by my account, it's set to collectible.

the "move to collection" action isn't a log type nor an action selectable on the TB's profile page. you have to go to your own profile and follow the "trackables inventory" link (NOT trackable items) at the top.

Only if the owner wants to change ownership. Several people "own" travelers but give them out to other people. It's my understanding that Moun10bike wants to retain ownership of his coins he has given to others. When I visited the Lily pad, I was given a 2008 GS Lackey geocoin. It is owned by Signal the Frog. I put it in my collection, but now it has been removed and is stuck in my inventory. I'd like it back in my collection. I also have a PurplePaws geocoin. PurplePaws want to be the owners, but it is mine to keep, a gift, that now, I cannot put in my collection unless they go out of their way to mark it as collectible.

it's better to require the few people who own trackables who are in other ppl's collections to go "out of their way" and set them to be collectible, than to require everyone else (who owns regular trackables) to go out or their way and mark every single one of them as non-collectible.

Edited by dfx

it's better to require the few people who own trackables who are in other ppl's collections to go "out of their way" and set them to be collectible, than to require everyone else (who owns regular trackables) to go out or their way and mark every single one of them as non-collectible.

I don't know what an irregular trackable might be. Whatever. Also, "everyone else" doesn't have to do anything if they don't want to.

Why is it such a bad thing for someone to put a trackable in his/her collection? The only thing that it does is remove the trackable from that person's inventory list.

Are people suddenly going to move travelers to their collection instead of helping the traveler along on its mission? Probably not. I think there is just an outburst of paranoia going on here with something new.

The coin is in my possession (it's the only coin still in my inventory that I haven't been able to move to my collection) and is owned by my account, it's set to collectible.

the "move to collection" action isn't a log type nor an action selectable on the TB's profile page.

Au contraire, I just did exactly that (entered a log of type 'Move to my collection') with um.... five different geocoins. Like this:

no-my-collection3.jpg

What I'm saying is that this particular method of adding to your collection doesn't seem to be available if you own the coin but didn't originally. Or some other circumstance :( In any case, I can move any TB I own to my collection by entering this type of log except the one I adopted.

Edited by JeremyR
What I'm saying is that this particular method of adding to your collection doesn't seem to be available if you own the coin but didn't originally. Or some other circumstance :( In any case, I can move any TB I own to my collection by entering this type of log except the one I adopted.

yeah it's gotta be some other circumstance, because on my coin (which i've always owned) i also don't see that action in the dropdown menu. i had to go through the "trackables inventory" page as i described above.

Some features I think would be nice to add to the collections concept:

• Ability to create and name various collections
  • Ability to drop a whole collection into a cache.
  • Ability to remove the collection from a cache
  • A bulk mechanism to move travelers into/out of a collection
  • The abiltiy to list more than ten items in a collection at a time
  • A bulk mechanism to mark travelers as collectible or not

Some features I think would be nice to add to the collections concept:

• Ability to create and name various collections
  • Ability to drop a whole collection into a cache.
  • Ability to remove the collection from a cache
  • A bulk mechanism to move travelers into/out of a collection
  • The abiltiy to list more than ten items in a collection at a time
  • A bulk mechanism to mark travelers as collectible or not

I was thinking about some of these too, and even the ability for others to post notes to a collection. Rather than controlling the status from the Trackable's page, it would be cool if we could do it from the collection's page. The collection would in essence act like a Cache page, where other players could post notes when they viewed the collection, and the owner of the trackables could drop them in just like when they drop them in a cache. Post a note and have the traditional dropdown menu. Functioning both ways would be even better, then you could move items from either the trackable's page OR the collection's page.

I honestly think that the option(or any reference) should NOT be shown on the page of items not owned by the viewer. I just cannot imagine very many situations where traveling trackables should be moved into anyone's collection other than the owner. There are of course some times to do this, but they are so rare that the adoption method should be used instead. unless of course this is a precursor to GS dropping the price of the numbers sooo looow that people will be slapping them onto any old collectible sigitem, now wouldn't THAT be fun? Or even the old idea where superpremiummembers can have free tracking numbers doled out each month. I guess that's a whole new topic.

Aside from that carping, I do really really like that I can now grab all my own coins, and "collect" them, so my inventory only shows those items that I need to move. Excellent, thank you.

I haven't yet figured this whole thing out, but this part I have, and I agree with. Still, I regret that the very concept of "collections" has been officially introduced. To much collection has been going on already.

Aside from that carping, I do really really like that I can now grab all my own coins, and "collect" them, so my inventory only shows those items that I need to move. Excellent, thank you.

I haven't yet figured this whole thing out, but this part I have, and I agree with. Still, I regret that the very concept of "collections" has been officially introduced. To much collection has been going on already.

Well, don't mix up legitimate collecting with stealing. My biggest fear is that this will open the minds of non owners to the idea that they should "Collect" items that don't belong to them. I know that theives already do this, but it may confuse some folks into thinking that it's the way to do things. we will have to wait and see how many travelers get added to the collections of non owners. I like the tool, if it is used properly though.

Ok, I have tried to read the threads and have read the knowledge book on this. But I still can't seem to get my head around this.

I am teaching a "How Do You Do That?" class in a few days and I am going to get questions on this.

Can someone tell me how I can explain this?

I understand how to put the trackables into the different list, but what does that mean after you do? What can you do and not do after they have been moved. That is was I don't understand.

Thanks for everything yal!!!

Chipper

I understand how to put the trackables into the different list, but what does that mean after you do? What can you do and not do after they have been moved. That is was I don't understand.

there used to be only one list: the inventory. you find a trackable in a cache and log it as "retrieved" on the website, which will move the item to your inventory. the same thing happens when you create a trackable item yourself: it appears in your inventory.

when you go to log a cache, the website will show you everything in your inventory, and you have the option of dropping one of more items into the cache. you would do that if you actually, physically left that item in that cache. doing so will remove the item from your inventory and list it as being in the cache instead.

this all is now as it was before.

but now there's a second list, seperate from the inventory, called the collection. you can move items from your inventory to your collection and the other way. the difference is that items in your collection aren't in the inventory any more, so you don't get them presented when logging a cache and therefore can't drop them into the cache. it's for items you want to keep, so it makes sense that you don't see the option of being able to drop them into a cache.

Why is it such a bad thing for someone to put a trackable in his/her collection? The only thing that it does is remove the trackable from that person's inventory list.

Are people suddenly going to move travelers to their collection instead of helping the traveler along on its mission? Probably not. I think there is just an outburst of paranoia going on here with something new.

I've always though that travel bug/coin owners are a bit paranoid about their bugs and coins. The claim ownership rights that I'm not sure even apply to things you own that you don't leave in geocaches. There seem to be all kinds of ways you can forfeit property you own other than it just getting stolen.

Still the owners of travel bugs and coins look for ways to educate cachers that trackables are meant to move from cache to cache and not end up in a personal collection - at least not without the permission of the owner.

TPTB responded to a request by collectors of geocoins to have a way to not show these coins in their inventory, but to still allow the coins to be discovered by other cachers at events and such. Their mistake was to underestimate the intense feeling of trackable owners who don't have collections and who put their coins and travel bugs out to travel. The word collectible in the same breath as trackable is anathema to these owner. I still say, had this feature been called "Hide the coin on my inventory" instead of "Add the coin to my collection" we would not be having this discussion.

This is geocaching not coin collecting. The idea of trackables was have a way to vicariously visit cache through your travelers. But coin collecting is a big profit maker for Groundspeak and the coin manufacturers. The coin collectors buy lots of coins and take them to events to show them off. If I wanted to look at coins I would go to a numismatic event. I go to geocaching events to trade geocaching stories and plan hikes with my friend. I'll move coins and bugs that are checked into an event but I won't discover someone's coin collection. To me it isn't geocaching.

TPTB responded to a request by collectors of geocoins to have a way to not show these coins in their inventory, but to still allow the coins to be discovered by other cachers at events and such. Their mistake was to underestimate the intense feeling of trackable owners who don't have collections and who put their coins and travel bugs out to travel. The word collectible in the same breath as trackable is anathema to these owner. I still say, had this feature been called "Hide the coin on my inventory" instead of "Add the coin to my collection" we would not be having this discussion.

i don't see the problem now, after the second update. i think the setup now may even be a good thing. people who may be tempted to keep a coin because they like it and don't know any better will try to move it to their collection. they'll see that they can't do that (because not it's not possible for trackables you don't own and which haven't explicitely been marked as collectible) and that may give them a clue that they're not supposed to keep them.

Edit to say: Maybe when logging a cache find there could be a "Collection" drop down list (just like the inventory list). By selecting a trackable in the list, the site would automaticaly "dip" the trackable. I COULD get behind that!!

Now that would be sweet. It would allow me to keep my mileage-marker TB makred as NOT-COLLECTIBLE (which it is, only *I* should ever hold it) and make dipping much easier.

One more point: Any item in my collection (and owned by me, which I believe should be a requirement for it being in my collection!) should be protected from a GRAB (even if someone else knows the code). One more way to protect mileage marker travellers from people who maliciously (if only electronically) GRAB items.

All in all I think this whole collectible stuff is badly thought out.

a) yes I want my inventory list kept short

:( I want my mileage-marker in *my* collection to protect it from grabs (see above)

c) yet I want to be able to easily dip it

So I think we need 3 places:

- Inventory (other folks' TBs I am currently holding)

- a dipping collection that allows ME to easily DIP the items (one or all) , ie drop and retrieve in one go

for mileage marking purposes. Having to move them to the inventory and back is urgh

- a collection of MY OWN TBS I own but which I don't expect to drop or dip ever, again protected from GRAB

I've always though that travel bug/coin owners are a bit paranoid about their bugs and coins...

Hey, I'm not going to ream you on this; you're a friend and I don't jump all over friends for disagreeing with me. You have a right to your opinion, and that's fine. And you are correct: geocoin collecting isn't geocaching, per se.

But it *is* an adjunct to it, one from which I derive a lot of enjoyment! We have a nice collection of geocoins, all paid for by us, or traded for, and we enjoy showing them at gatherings. Some folks enjoy discovering them, others don't; both attitudes are OK with us. The point is that geocoins and TBs would not exist if *not* for geocaching; you can't separate them. For good or ill.

The issue here is that trackables are not swag. When we trade swag, we are trading something for something. If we put swag in a cache that we are hiding, we do so knowing that that is the way it is donem that we are making a "donation" of sorts to the hobby. That was how the very first cache was set up, and that tradition continues ten years later.

When TBs were first developed, they were designed to be moving objects, with no obligation to trade for them. The idea was to pick them up and move them to another cache. Discoveries were a way to have a "physical" record of having seen a particular TB.

When geocoins came along, they had a common icon, but it wasn't long before unique icons came along, and at that point, Discovering them became a big deal. I make no bones about this; our "motto" is "It's all about the icons." I really enjoy adding icons to our profile, and so do others. It is part of the game, as defined by Groundspeak.

So, yeah, we get a little defensive and possessive. Sharon and I have released over a thousand trackables, and I have hundreds still to activate and release, or put into our collection albums. I enjoy looking at them now and then, and I enjoy letting others look at them. If someone can suddenly come along and force a geocoin in our physical collection into their virtual "collection", I certainly have a right to be upset. We have possession of it; it's certainly ours if we paid for it. I even have most of the receipts, if anyone cares to verify ownership.

As for those that we release, we certainly cannot force anyone to follow the rules, as set down by Groundspeak, but we certainly don't want the system to make it even easier for someone to grab a geocoin out of a cache, one that is clearly intended to be traveling, and keep it.

What I am wondering in all of this, is, was this an attempt to allow people to keep a clearer record of trackables that they have moved along? If so, I don't think it's going to work that way. Was this meant to be something like PathTags? If so, then it is a mistake, IMHO.

Bottom line, I'm not going to try to convince you that geocoin owners are not a little paranoid; we are a little paranoid! And the actions of a few larcenous cachers has given us good reason to be.

Jim

I've always though that travel bug/coin owners are a bit paranoid about their bugs and coins...

Hey, I'm not going to ream you on this; you're a friend and I don't jump all over friends for disagreeing with me. You have a right to your opinion, and that's fine. And you are correct: geocoin collecting isn't geocaching, per se.

But it *is* an adjunct to it, one from which I derive a lot of enjoyment! We have a nice collection of geocoins, all paid for by us, or traded for, and we enjoy showing them at gatherings. Some folks enjoy discovering them, others don't; both attitudes are OK with us. The point is that geocoins and TBs would not exist if *not* for geocaching; you can't separate them. For good or ill.

The issue here is that trackables are not swag. When we trade swag, we are trading something for something. If we put swag in a cache that we are hiding, we do so knowing that that is the way it is donem that we are making a "donation" of sorts to the hobby. That was how the very first cache was set up, and that tradition continues ten years later.

When TBs were first developed, they were designed to be moving objects, with no obligation to trade for them. The idea was to pick them up and move them to another cache. Discoveries were a way to have a "physical" record of having seen a particular TB.

When geocoins came along, they had a common icon, but it wasn't long before unique icons came along, and at that point, Discovering them became a big deal. I make no bones about this; our "motto" is "It's all about the icons." I really enjoy adding icons to our profile, and so do others. It is part of the game, as defined by Groundspeak.

So, yeah, we get a little defensive and possessive. Sharon and I have released over a thousand trackables, and I have hundreds still to activate and release, or put into our collection albums. I enjoy looking at them now and then, and I enjoy letting others look at them. If someone can suddenly come along and force a geocoin in our physical collection into their virtual "collection", I certainly have a right to be upset. We have possession of it; it's certainly ours if we paid for it. I even have most of the receipts, if anyone cares to verify ownership.

As for those that we release, we certainly cannot force anyone to follow the rules, as set down by Groundspeak, but we certainly don't want the system to make it even easier for someone to grab a geocoin out of a cache, one that is clearly intended to be traveling, and keep it.

What I am wondering in all of this, is, was this an attempt to allow people to keep a clearer record of trackables that they have moved along? If so, I don't think it's going to work that way. Was this meant to be something like PathTags? If so, then it is a mistake, IMHO.

Bottom line, I'm not going to try to convince you that geocoin owners are not a little paranoid; we are a little paranoid! And the actions of a few larcenous cachers has given us good reason to be.

Jim

This wouldn't hurt so much except that is comes from the owner of a coin I misplaced. My guess that a coin is as likely to go missing because someone was careless with it as is it because someone intentionally stole it.

If someone can suddenly come along and force a geocoin in our physical collection into their virtual "collection", I certainly have a right to be upset.

I'm having trouble seeing what is new here. Before these collections, anyone that had the coins tracking ID could certainly perform a "virtual" grab of the coin and get it in his/her inventory. What's the difference now? The coin will still show being in his/her possession whether he/she has it in his/her inventory or collection. You should certainly be able to grab it back. Are you worried you won't be abe to?

If someone can suddenly come along and force a geocoin in our physical collection into their virtual "collection", I certainly have a right to be upset.

I'm having trouble seeing what is new here. Before these collections, anyone that had the coins tracking ID could certainly perform a "virtual" grab of the coin and get it in his/her inventory. What's the difference now? The coin will still show being in his/her possession whether he/she has it in his/her inventory or collection. You should certainly be able to grab it back. Are you worried you won't be abe to?

Hence my request that items in my 'collection' (as long as they are owned by me) be protected from a grab.

If I wanted to allow someone else to 'collect' my TB and then protect it against grabbing, maybe there should be a way for me to approve that the current holder moves my coin into his collection and protects it against a grab

What, exactly, does Groundspeak mean by their use of the word "collectible"? I really think that this is the crux of this whole issue. The Fact Book does not define the term, and I seriously doubt that the dictionary meaning is what they intended. I think a lot of the discussion has been generated by an assumption of meaning that may, or may not, be what we are thinking it is, vis-a-vis TPtB. I really can't see *any* reason for the option, to be honest, but maybe I just haven't come up with whatever Groundspeak is thinking in this regard. It would be nice if the people who actually designed this gave us a detailed explanation of what they intended. Just my 4-and-a-half cents (inflation, you know :().

This wouldn't hurt so much except that is comes from the owner of a coin I misplaced. My guess that a coin is as likely to go missing because someone was careless with it as is it because someone intentionally stole it.

Oh, good heavens! I'd forgotten all about that. Stuff Happens, man. We're not perfect; we've misplaced a couple of travelers, as much as it pains me to admit it :D There's one in our inventory right now that I can't find, and I've been looking for months :D I know that you didn't deliberately lose that thing; I hope you know that we know it was an accident. And you never know; it might show up some day. We had one that was missing for three years suddenly pop up :D:D:(

BTW: we can handle folks misplacing a geocoin, as long as they let us know. That's all we ask, a little honesty. You did that, and we appreciated it. I don't understand why some people can't or won't deal straight with others.

I'm having trouble seeing what is new here. Before these collections, anyone that had the coins tracking ID could certainly perform a "virtual" grab of the coin and get it in his/her inventory. What's the difference now?

The difference is between the word "inventory" and "collection". These two words do not have the same meaning. This is why I asked Groundspeak to define "collection", so that we know exactly what they mean by it.

If i have a coin/tb in my collection and somebody grabs it by error (instead of discovering it), its gone. i have have to grab it back and place it again in my collection.

Maybe there could be a question before grabbing a coin/tb in a collection like it is when i post a nm-log.

"Do you really want to grab this coin/tb? it will leave the owners collection! yes/no"

Second.

I guess there will be a lot of misunderstandings

make it collectible => lets travel around and let other players move it from cache to cache

non-collectible => it goes into the collection.

Maybe something like

"let it travel" => lets travel around and let other players move it from cache to cache

"for collection" => it goes into the collection.

would be better.

after moving a coin from my inventory to the collection i will be forwarded to my collection page. its a bit annoying if you want to move more then one coin/tb.

btw - nice feature.

Edited by James Doe

I'm having trouble seeing what is new here. Before these collections, anyone that had the coins tracking ID could certainly perform a "virtual" grab of the coin and get it in his/her inventory. What's the difference now?

The difference is between the word "inventory" and "collection". These two words do not have the same meaning. This is why I asked Groundspeak to define "collection", so that we know exactly what they mean by it.

Okay, so you would like some added security feature to basically disable changing the location of a trackable when it is in the possession of its owner. That seams perfectly reasonable to me but it also seems to be different than the collection/inventory concept.

You would also like GS to better define what the difference between inventory/collection is. I think that would be helpful too.

One thing that I hope people realize, is that inventory/collection really only impact the person where the traveler is located. So from everybody elses perspective the coin is located with that person. Whether it is in his/her inventory or collection is not discernable (except that a note, which can be deleted, is added to the travelers log).

Well, don't mix up legitimate collecting with stealing. My biggest fear is that this will open the minds of non owners to the idea that they should "Collect" items that don't belong to them. I know that theives already do this, but it may confuse some folks into thinking that it's the way to do things. we will have to wait and see how many travelers get added to the collections of non owners. I like the tool, if it is used properly though.

On the other hand, this tool could help against unindented "stealing" of TBs. If an item is non-collectible, you can't move it to your collection, so every newbie who wants too hold it for a long time maybe thinks twice about this.

And even if one item is collected (because the owner accidentally allowed it) just disallow it, and it is transfered form the holders collection to the inventory, suggesting it should travel again.

I think this Collection is a good idea, because some people collect their own coins, and some people send coins as presents on a journey to am other cacher, and it is nice, that the cacher who receives the coin can place it in his collection without owner-transfer (so that one can see it was a present).

I have read all of this, and I'm still confused.

Is the issue that if I have activated travel bugs or geocoins that I hold in my possession and do not allow to travel, for whatever reason, they show in my inventory? If so, this change was to allow them to be placed "in a collection" so they are out of the inventory?

I moved all of my travelers that I hold in my possession to "Unknown Location" (marked missing) long ago to accomplish exactly this.

I think that I understand that if I mark them collectible and put them in my "collection" that someone else could still grab them from me? That doesn't make sense. If I have a traveler marked collectible and is in my collection, "discover" should be the only option available to someone else. No one should be able to "collect" a traveler that they do not own.

Most of my coins are 'in' an un-published cache.

This is both convenient, and inconvenient.

Convenient, since they don't show up in my inventory when trying to drop TBs during my regular caching activities.

Inconvenient, since I would have to log each one out of the cache, into my inventory and then drop them in an event if I wanted them to 'go with me' to the event. Naturally, those who see them at the event can log them just the same, but the coins never 'went' anywhere. By the same token, there are certain coins I like to dip in special caches as my token of that cache's 'specialness'...keeping all those coins in my inventory clutters things up with the trackables I don't own, and am just carrying.

Now, coins can easily be moved from your 'collection' to your inventory with at least a bit more ease, and they can then be dropped in caches with somewhat less fuss.

Retrieval is still a problem, since even the owner has to type in the tracking number...major PITA!

I think the big fuss is mostly the implication of the word 'collection', which implies that you are planning to keep it forever. Considering the likelihood that any given coin will go missing, coin owners are a bit touchy about this.

If the feature were called something like 'My Special Pocket', perhaps it would be less threatening.

I can eve see the advantage for regular TBs for which I may have specific future plans. I might have a TB I want to drop while on vacation next week, but in the meantime I'm picking up and dropping TBs locally. If I keep that TB in 'My Special Pocket', it won't get mixed in with the local crowd.

I object to the association of travellers with collecting, quite enough of my travellers have been "collected" already. This will only confuse newbies and result in yet more unwelcome collecting. Some serious loss of the plot happening at frog tower these days.

I have been clicking away opening, closing, selecting, copy and pasting, opening more pages and submitting ad nauseam to move coins from an archived cache collection to my virtual collection and there has got to be a better way to do this. I have 20 pages of coin listings (<400 coins) to do this for and the repetitive motion is bound to have health consequence.... okay, okay so I exaggerate somewhat.

Request to simplify the process of moving trackables to virtual collection..... make it an owner only option, like recalculating mileage. I know the original intent was to de-clutter the Trackables Inventory so the items to be moved must first be in the Inventory. But so many for so long have been storing collectibles (collectables) on other nooks and grannies on the gc.com servers it would be infinitely convenient to move them to the Collection Area with one click of the mouse instead of 8.

Pleeeeaaaaase? Pretty pretty please......

Oh, just did a recount... it's actually 12 clicks of the mouse just to move trackable from one nook or cranny to the Inventory and 3 more after that to move to Trackables Inventory, move to collection and back again to T.I. So 15 clicks to move one coin from an archived cache to virtual collection.

Edited by Droo
I have opened this topic to discuss the new Trackables collection. Please keep discussion on this feature confined to this thread and I'll be sure to follow along. Thanks!

I think this new features sounds great!

I've just started tinkering with it, but it will be great to have my own trackables hidden from view so I can easily see the actual TBs I've picked up that I need to move.

Thanks for this idea!

Edited by Skippermark

I have been clicking away opening, closing, selecting, copy and pasting, opening more pages and submitting....

Take heart in the fact that you should only need to go through this once... :(

... and shortly thereafter a nice convenient way will be made available... :blink:

The main problem is having to prove you're the owner by copying and pasting the tracking code from the coin's mainpage to the add a log page. You gave me the tracking code in the previous page why ask for it in the next???? I would find it more logical to be able to just select "Move to Collectibles" under the "Trackable Items Options" on the coin's page.

Or am I whining about nothing since the big issue seems to be whether coins ought to be collectible (collectable) or not.

One thing that I hope people realize, is that inventory/collection really only impact the person where the traveler is located. So from everybody elses perspective the coin is located with that person. Whether it is in his/her inventory or collection is not discernable (except that a note, which can be deleted, is added to the travelers log).

That is helpful to know. It was not intuitively obvious to me last night. As a former programmer, I believe that documentation (I.e. explanation) is very important. Thanks for clarifying that :blink:

... I have 20 pages of coin listings (<400 coins) ...

That's all? I could have sworn you had more :blink:

Request to simplify the process of moving trackables to virtual collection.....

I second and third that motion! The current system is far too complex, especially as I suspect that the whole idea is to free up space on the "active" server. That *is* part of what is going on, isn't it? The collections can be on a server that does not get as much use, as very few people ever have a reason to access them. But if they are in caches, even if archived, they still have to be available on the same part of the system that handles cache info and similar requests. If this is at least partly to help GC do its job, then you folks in Washington State should make it easier for us to help you.

Ok, I've spent so long reading the new fix page that I've timed out as regards reading this one, so apologies if I repeat someone else's comments.

I've just gone through my 10 TBs/GCs to change them to uncollectable (if there is a default to "Not Collectable", why does is that box not inked in?). And that leads me on to ask where can you see that you've done that? It doesn't seem to show on the page for each trackable; I just have to trust to the fact that the name link shows purple because I've visited each rather than the usual black. Not very good.

I think the whole idea really stinks. If I want to give a friend a TB, that's one thing. I'm not a charity handing out TBs/GCs at will to strangers. A minimum of about £7 per TB/GC - enough go missing for me not to want to do this regularly. Call me mean, but the fun of the game is actually seeing these things travel around the place.

Bewildered.

I found a issue with this thing, Geo Achievment Coins and TB's can't be moved to Colleactable by the owner I have a couple that will never move and I don't understand why I can't move these few to Collected when it's in myinventory and it's set to collectable....Maybe a bug.....I personally like the idea but also agree default should be NON-COLLECTABLE.

Thanks

BakerGeckos

Edit to say: Maybe when logging a cache find there could be a "Collection" drop down list (just like the inventory list). By selecting a trackable in the list, the site would automaticaly "dip" the trackable. I COULD get behind that!!

Now that would be sweet. It would allow me to keep my mileage-marker TB makred as NOT-COLLECTIBLE (which it is, only *I* should ever hold it) and make dipping much easier.

One more point: Any item in my collection (and owned by me, which I believe should be a requirement for it being in my collection!) should be protected from a GRAB (even if someone else knows the code). One more way to protect mileage marker travellers from people who maliciously (if only electronically) GRAB items.

All in all I think this whole collectible stuff is badly thought out.

a) yes I want my inventory list kept short

:rolleyes: I want my mileage-marker in *my* collection to protect it from grabs (see above)

c) yet I want to be able to easily dip it

So I think we need 3 places:

- Inventory (other folks' TBs I am currently holding)

- a dipping collection that allows ME to easily DIP the items (one or all) , ie drop and retrieve in one go

for mileage marking purposes. Having to move them to the inventory and back is urgh

- a collection of MY OWN TBS I own but which I don't expect to drop or dip ever, again protected from GRAB

Excellent Post!

I agree to all!

Great way to "correct" this feature to make it work best for all cachers!

Just wish all above to be implemented in the next coming improvement of GC.com.

Go Hampsters!

~ Dr.MORO

The only issue I have / don't understand is why anyone would need to add trackables they don't own to their collection. However, since they'd have to grab it from me first (and they could do that now), I can always just grab it back. Usually, I've see this happen when someone is attempting to discover one of my items and accidentally grab it.

I would be nice if items in my collections could not be grabbed by others, but I still think I'll start using the collection option for my "held" items, instead of putting in my archived cache, like I do now.

Looks like GS may have made a change to the TB Collectible settings OR I completely missed something before.

Even if an item is marked as "Not Collectible", the OWNER can still place it in his / her own collection. Not sure why I'd mark any of mine as "Collectible", then or why anyone would have a problem with his feature, as long as the default for existing items was effectively "Not Collectible".

I can just mark ALL my trackables as "Not Collectible" and not worry about others placing them in theirs.

Can anyone tell me if this is a change or did I just miss this aspect of the feature.

Edited by DudleyGrunt
Can anyone tell me if this is a change or did I just miss this aspect of the feature.

They changed it.

Initially the default for all items for which the setting hadn't been explicitly set was effectively 'Collectible'. So anybody could collect traveling TB's and coins if the owner didn't change the settings.

They changed the default with a hotfix after the release, having it default to 'Non Collectible'.