south pole marker pic.

sixthings

"God what an awful place" is a quote taken from R.F. Scott's journal, written hours before he died. he also wrote that one of his companion's lifeless body had been staring at him for 2 days across the tent, but he was too cold to do anything about it. when scott wrote the aforementioned words, he meant them in the most sincere way possible.

Thanks for the history. Knowing that, the meaning does change quite a bit.

The humor I received from it comes from some of the surveying I've done, in places that could have been described like that.

The highest respect goes out to R.F.Scott and his companions for what they accomplished while on that continent.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

I have some knowledge of this. For a year or so I was getting E-Mails from from ''South Pole Charlie'', a researcher how lived through several tours at the south pole. To pass the time, he would write these wonderful journal-like E-Mails and send them out to his friends, who would send them on to their friends. Boy, do I miss reading those!

At any rate, 'The Marker' is redesigned, machined, and replaced every year. They have a contest for the winning 'next year's' design. One reason for the redo every year is that there is significant movement in the ice, enough to throw the true position off. So it needs to be repositioned. Garmin has a short blurb and photo here>

http://www.garmin.com/whatsNew/adventures/story13.html

of a previous marker. As you can see, it is different than the other link.

Another tradition down there is the annual 'streak' around the pole marker at midwinter (if I remember right). Last year Charlie had the honor of documenting the women's event.

4497_300.jpg

yes, there is a streak around the pole every year. there is also a "300" club. participants sit in a sauna that is heated to 300 degress above whatever outside ambient is, then make a mad dash outside and around the pole, in their birthday suits. i heard of one male participant who was unfortunate enough to suffer frostbite. the good news is it was on his thumbs! (absolutely true)

yes, the ice sheet moves about 10 meters a year. i understand they wont re-mark the spot in the future, as the spot and marker will have to be on the aircraft taxiway.