"Like" Button for Cache Pages

northernpenguin

Riddle me this.... why not add an explanation to the LIKE button so people know what they're doing????

fb111.jpg

NOTE: Clicking the LIKE button will add

a link to this geocache page on your Facebook

home page. This is not a cache rating system.

Is it THAT hard to try to explain to people what they'd be doing since many people who geocache and Facebook are NOT computer literate? It's amazing how EXPLAINING to people and TEACHING them helps EDUCATE them so they make the RIGHT decisions to suit their goals.... and not obscurely clicking on things because they "look" like something they're not.

Still say no matter how you slice the LIKE button, it smells, sounds and quacks like a rating system.

And the bacon caches look cool but I still think the mighty meat needs more honoring (and reading this thread makes me hungry) :D

bacon.jpg

Edited by infiniteMPG

I would prefer that Groundspeak, which has never given me a reason to worry about my information, not associate with Facebook which has been known to play fast and loose with their privacy policy.

I am with you, I don't like the idea that Groundspeak is associating our cache pages to FACEBOOK, Facebook has written then re-written and re wrote their privacy settings this year, no one knows for sure what information they are passing on to advertisers.

Alos the only reason why Groundspeak is doing this is to get links back to geocaching.com from non cachers in hopes to increase ad revenue.

I wrote asking for this option to be removed and they will not do it, at the very least it should be an option when you place a cache. like the premium only check box.

geohiker55

I wrote asking for this option to be removed and they will not do it, at the very least it should be an option when you place a cache. like the premium only check box.
I think I'll just KEEP POSTING THIS UNTIL SOMEONE ANSWERS WHY GC WON'T JUST ADD SOME EXPLANATION TO WHAT THE LIKE BUTTON DOES......

fb111.jpg

Is it THAT hard to try to explain to people what they'd be doing since many people who geocache and Facebook are NOT computer literate? It's amazing how EXPLAINING to people and TEACHING them helps EDUCATE them so they make the RIGHT decisions to suit their goals.... and not obscurely clicking on things because they "look" like something they're not.

Still say no matter how you slice the LIKE button, it smells, sounds and quacks like a rating system.

De-ja-vu???? Yup. Until someone answers why NO EXPLANATION is provided by GC for what that obscure, cache-rating-system-looking LIKE button does I'll just keep copying and pasting :)

I think I'll just KEEP POSTING THIS UNTIL SOMEONE ANSWERS WHY GC WON'T JUST ADD SOME EXPLANATION TO WHAT THE LIKE BUTTON DOES......

fb111.jpg

De-ja-vu???? Yup. Until someone answers why NO EXPLANATION is provided by GC for what that obscure, cache-rating-system-looking LIKE button does I'll just keep copying and pasting :)

I still think and say it's a way for GC.com to get more links back to the site, so they can up ad cost and increase revenue. That seems to be what the web is becoming. That's fine GC is prviding a fun experience. My problem is the like link puts my cache page on someone elses Facebook page, they can then click to my profile and get my e mail and any other web page links I have posted.

I think this is going to open GC members up to more spam, also the non caching members will now know where caches are and it could lead to more caches being muggled. Maybe the face bookers will post logs on caches they have never found and are we supposed to police that and delete false logs from face bookers.

This should be a check box opt in option on the cache listing page. Just the the premimum member caches are opt in. Give usbthe choice and let us decide if the facebook lite option sows on our pages

Geohiker55

I still think and say it's a way for GC.com to get more links back to the site, so they can up ad cost and increase revenue. That seems to be what the web is becoming. That's fine GC is prviding a fun experience. My problem is the like link puts my cache page on someone elses Facebook page, they can then click to my profile and get my e mail and any other web page links I have posted.

I think this is going to open GC members up to more spam, also the non caching members will now know where caches are and it could lead to more caches being muggled. Maybe the face bookers will post logs on caches they have never found and are we supposed to police that and delete false logs from face bookers.

This should be a check box opt in option on the cache listing page. Just the the premimum member caches are opt in. Give usbthe choice and let us decide if the facebook lite option sows on our pages

Geohiker55

Ok let me correct a couple misnomers there.

You are correct, it is a system to bring more people to the Geocaching website. Until these new people decide to sign up for an account at Geocaching.com, they can't view your member profile - so they can't view your email. If you are worried about Geocaching.com members spamming you - don't expose your email address in your profile (same as if, say, you were using Facebook). Forcing people to email you via the site enables you to control spam as they have to fill in the feedback form manually.... and if someone writes a spambot to do that, it'll get banned pretty darn quick.

Facebookers are not some weird pseudo species. They are regular people. You're not going to see a sudden explosion in bogus logs just because they are following a link from Facebook. It has been a long time since the only people who find out about Geocaching are told by geocachers. There are dozens of news articles around the world every day directing people to this hobby. Caches are featured on sites like Twitter, or on community websites.

The option to opt in is basically assuming that people who use Facebook are somehow 'undesirables'. The option to opt in would be better (more accurately) setup as follows:

[ ] - Allow this cache listing to be linked to from the Internet. This enables off-site hyperlinking to blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

[ ] - Force this cache listing to be viewed only from links that originate on Geocaching.com. Geocachers must use Field Notes, or the Groundspeak search tools to view this cache listing.

Perhaps we should have the option to force only members who joined before a certain day to be able to view our caches eh. Imagine that, we just force only "Charter Members" to see our caches and all muggling problems will magically go away. Both Charter Members in my area will surely enjoy the cache much more!

Geohiker55

Ok let me correct a couple misnomers there.

You are correct, it is a system to bring more people to the Geocaching website. Until these new people decide to sign up for an account at Geocaching.com, they can't view your member profile - so they can't view your email. If you are worried about Geocaching.com members spamming you - don't expose your email address in your profile (same as if, say, you were using Facebook). Forcing people to email you via the site enables you to control spam as they have to fill in the feedback form manually.... and if someone writes a spambot to do that, it'll get banned pretty darn quick.

Facebookers are not some weird pseudo species. They are regular people. You're not going to see a sudden explosion in bogus logs just because they are following a link from Facebook. It has been a long time since the only people who find out about Geocaching are told by geocachers. There are dozens of news articles around the world every day directing people to this hobby. Caches are featured on sites like Twitter, or on community websites.

The option to opt in is basically assuming that people who use Facebook are somehow 'undesirables'. The option to opt in would be better (more accurately) setup as follows:

[ ] - Allow this cache listing to be linked to from the Internet. This enables off-site hyperlinking to blogs, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

[ ] - Force this cache listing to be viewed only from links that originate on Geocaching.com. Geocachers must use Field Notes, or the Groundspeak search tools to view this cache listing.

Perhaps we should have the option to force only members who joined before a certain day to be able to view our caches eh. Imagine that, we just force only "Charter Members" to see our caches and all muggling problems will magically go away. Both Charter Members in my area will surely enjoy the cache much more!

I am not going to argue about this. I think we should have the option that's all

fb111.jpg

Ok. We get the point.

Direct your query to contact@geocaching.com as the devs probably stopped reading this thread when it went to the bacon tangent.

Repeatedly reposting the same thing is referred to as "flooding" or "hijacking" a thread.

fb111.jpg

De-ja-vu???? Yup. Until someone answers why NO EXPLANATION is provided by GC for what that obscure, cache-rating-system-looking LIKE button does I'll just keep copying and pasting <_<

Ok. We get the point.

Direct your query to contact@geocaching.com

But won't TPTB send him that canned reply that says 'take it to the forums'? :):D

It's like anything if you don't like it don't click it. I for one like facebook and use it all the time. You just have to get over the big bad government is getting all your info from facebook syndrome, because actually they already have it!! <_<:D:):unsure:

Edited by Team_Searchgeo
You just have to get over the big bad government is getting all your info from facebook syndrome, because actually they already have it!! <_<:D:):unsure:

Please don't listen to Team_Searchgeo. That is not true.

Oh, by the way, the tap in your bathroom is dripping. You might want to look into that. And don't put off that oil change for too long.

You just have to get over the big bad government is getting all your info from facebook syndrome, because actually they already have it!! :laughing::laughing::):laughing:

Please don't listen to Team_Searchgeo. That is not true.

Oh, by the way, the tap in your bathroom is dripping. You might want to look into that. And don't put off that oil change for too long.

Hey!! how did you know that?!!I just bought a new washer for my faucet and I am doing a oil change tonight!!!Something stinks in denmark I say!! See they already came from facebook so it is to late!!!Resistance is futile, you shall be assimilated!!

LocutusOfBorg.jpg

Ok. We get the point.

Direct your query to contact@geocaching.com as the devs probably stopped reading this thread when it went to the bacon tangent.

Actually I would of thought the bacon tangent would of gathered more readers... :)

Repeatedly reposting the same thing is referred to as "flooding" or "hijacking" a thread.
And repeatedly having a simple solution to a problem constantly skipped over can cause flooding... some people blame the dynamite, other's blame the fuse.

Just sent a nice long diplomatic email to contact@geocaching.com on this simple little resolution and if I get a good reply then it will be nice, if I get some canned response then I'll start to think GC is starting to head down the profit path more then people path. That path usually leads to a pretty dark place if not balanced with a lot of consideration for who is playing and paying.