"Like" Button for Cache Pages

northernpenguin

That's typical american behaviour :-)

First off, I'm not American. I live in that country that is a little to the north of the USA. Nice racial generalization though. Really helps you make an intelligent statement.

Sometimes it really helps ;-) At least now I know where you're from... And in general it really IS true many times.

Second, I made the point that Countries are different, so I guess you are agreeing with my point. In Canada Facebook is used differently than Germany. Not sure how you restating that in an angry tone, makes it your point instead of mine.

But you're still not willing to understand that over here it's not this big number of Facebook users/lovers and that it might absolutely be o.k. to NOT like Facebook. I don't want to take anything away from you, don't you understand that?

Demanding changes because you bought a premium membership is acting like you bought a voting share in the company. You didn't. You bought the right to use the Pocket Query service, and the ability to mark your caches as Premium Member Only. You represent one customer, and you no more have the right to demand something (like a feature removal) from the company than you have demanding Pepsi drop Mountain Dew from their lineup because you won't drink it.

You don't know that much about customer relationship, do you? Just guess why there's this nice word for it: RELATIONSHIP!

Simply means that it might be a good idea to understand what your customers want and what they don't want. And by the way: Guess why the US guys have got back their Coke Classic... It's because the DEMANDED it! And it was simply just customers doing so, not necessarily shareholders...

And just one more: Guess what this forum part is for? Feature requests! And this exactly is what I want! An option to tunr off these links. But up to now no one from Groundspeak felt a need to answer. They not even said "NO". Simply nothing... That's not exactly what I'd expect from them. Let's see what they do if I personally ask them...

And the only thing I want is to have some control what kind of links shall be on MY cache pages. Is it really too much I want? I don't think so. But this is something you didn't comment yet. Why?

Let's see, it's Groundspeak's website, you agreed to the Terms and Conditions when you chose to put your content on their website. They can put whatever they want on their website without asking you permission. Let's see what does that say at the bottom of your cache page:

Could be but at the time I submitted my caches nothing like that (Facebook stuff) was here. And just one more: You don't get ANYTHING if you don't ask. That's all I did...

Bye,

Christian

Hi!

I don't really have a problem with Groundspeak making that optional. Really, I don't.

I have a problem with the attitude of "Facebook is evil! Remove this feature immediately!". If I've misunderstood you on that basis, here's an apology.

You really misunderstood the first part in the beginning :-) So I definitely accept your apology! You eventually understood the second part as Facebook really IS evil in my eyes ;-)

Could have been shortening our discussion :-)

O.k., so serious now: I only would LIKE to have the choice of disabling this link on just MY caches. Not more!

Additionally I don't like Facebook at all but this is just my personal opinion. And that Facebooks behaves evil should be out of discussion. Just look what they needed to do in the last time like changing their rules and site several times to give users better privacy control or the issue with stealing people's pictures. And please don't tell me these are all lies ;-)

I can easily accept the fact that you are nonetheless (still) a happy user of Facebook together with many others but want to ask you that in exchange you also please accept that others eventually DON'T like Facebook and that it's not evil to do so.

I don't want to take anything away from you or your caches if you're fine using these links.

That's simply it.

O.k., and now finally back to your first post: Search tool!

I can hardly see how that should work as all the info is within Facebook. Might be Groundspeak can get anonymous like info from Facebook like pure numbers but how should they get personalized info like the LIKES from your friends on Facebook as long as you don't give Groundspeak at least your Facebook credentials. And I'm pretty much sure you won't do that (hopefully!).

So in the end don't expect too much from this feature but some kind of advertisement on Facebook to eventually attract some new people to geocaching and eventually having them creating an account. This feature helps Groundspeak more than it helps you...

Bye,

Christian

O.k., and now finally back to your first post: Search tool!

I can hardly see how that should work as all the info is within Facebook. Might be Groundspeak can get anonymous like info from Facebook like pure numbers but how should they get personalized info like the LIKES from your friends on Facebook as long as you don't give Groundspeak at least your Facebook credentials. And I'm pretty much sure you won't do that (hopefully!).

So in the end don't expect too much from this feature but some kind of advertisement on Facebook to eventually attract some new people to geocaching and eventually having them creating an account. This feature helps Groundspeak more than it helps you...

Yeah, I'm not holding out much hope for "northernpenguin and 2 others like this cache", but I do note that Like widget gives Groundspeak access to something --- on the "Like" widget page:

You can subscribe to ‘like’ and other events through FB.Event.subscribe.

That's aimed at site developers, not Facebook users. If nothing else, Groundspeak could potentially expose the "Like" count using this interface. Not 100% sure about that but possibly?

Now what a person like me would *do* with a #of Likes in a GPX file is another debate in itself (which has already occurred in this thread). I'm pretty sure Groundspeak would get crucified if they shared any more information than that in a GPX download.

Since it's not a rating system, and fraught with peril .... I fully expect Groundspeak will not be using that FB.Event.subscribe API for anything that's customer facing.

Yes he makes a good point. But to quote me mentioning the thread was way off topic, and then spend the next two paragraphs bashing Facebook some more .... that's kinda like a wet trout to the face.
Maybe the "off topic" topic is the more important one. And I never once knocked FB as I am on there as much, if not more, then I am GC.

I can see how it will be misinterpreted as a "Rating System" so that point I concede. "Like" used to be "Become a fan" which is one of Facebook's hallmarks. A "What's This?" link right under the button would be useful to explain that sort of thing.

Regardless of what it's being misinterpreted as, it's not clearly explained and it's misleading. I doubt the text "Be the first of your friends to like this." came from Facebook, it came from GC web authors. Change that to say "Click here to add a link to this cache on your Facebook page" and you'd have the problem solved.

Just find this element in your code :

<span class="connect_widget_not_connected_text">Be the first of your friends to like this.</span>

and change it to this :

<span class="connect_widget_not_connected_text">Click here to add a link to this cache on your Facebook page.</span>

and you're done. Is that too much to ask????? :ph34r:

Well that's interesting. I had assumed the wording came from Facebook. So it's Groundspeak that used words that imply a rating system (like/dislike). Hmmmm.

Ok, soIdecided to check just how private things are. I set up a bogus facebook account and went to a random geocache - GC22CY . I clicked on like and it shows my facebook name and when I click it on it shows my facebook webpage.

So anybody interested in checking to see if that is what they get also?

Do you see my face book name after like?

Do you see my facebook webpage when you click on that page?

Well that's interesting. I had assumed the wording came from Facebook. So it's Groundspeak that used words that imply a rating system (like/dislike). Hmmmm.

wat?

stop the misinformation already!

the wording isn't coming from Groundspeak. all there is on the cache page is an <iframe> containing an URL and some size information. all the contents of the iframe come from facebook! Groundspeak has no influence on the wording.

check your facts people!

wat?

stop the misinformation already!

the wording isn't coming from Groundspeak. all there is on the cache page is an <iframe> containing an URL and some size information. all the contents of the iframe come from facebook! Groundspeak has no influence on the wording.

check your facts people!

*ctually, you're both right here. All the content comes from Facebook, but in the API call, Groundspeak can ask for "Like" or "Recommend" to be used. Not really a lot of customization offered eh ....

I'm happy with GCVote. It does a good job but it lacks in 2 areas: it's not in-house and not filterable (I'd like a PQ of 3-star to 5-star rated caches.

But you know you can get a PQ of all the cache in a big spot then use GSAK to filter out the ones with the ratings you want?

You still ignore that I simply don't want to see these id**ts from Facebook on my cache pages.

Are you saying I'm an idiot? :ph34r:

Just because I like one of your caches?

Yes, I just "liked" one of your caches. A link to your cache shows up on my Facebook wall. So now about 200 geocachers and 30 or so other friends and family are going to see a link. I wonder how many of those 30 or so people, who mostly live in Southern California, and couldn't give a crp about geocaching, are going to book a flight to Germany just so they can steal your cache?

Seriously, get over yourself.

*ctually, you're both right here. All the content comes from Facebook, but in the API call, Groundspeak can ask for "Like" or "Recommend" to be used. Not really a lot of customization offered eh ....

and not a lot of difference in meaning either... :ph34r:

i think "recommend" would make it sound even more like a rating system.

Edited by dfx

Ok, soIdecided to check just how private things are. I set up a bogus facebook account and went to a random geocache - GC22CY . I clicked on like and it shows my facebook name and when I click it on it shows my facebook webpage.

So anybody interested in checking to see if that is what they get also?

Do you see my face book name after like?

Do you see my facebook webpage when you click on that page?

GC22CY is not an active cache :ph34r:

Oops- left out a 2 cache is GC22C2Y

"2 people like this. "

but people who have been following the thread(s) would have already known this.

Thanks for checking this out for me because I see: "(insert my facebook name) and one other person like this". When I click on my name it takes me to my facebook account. I just want to be sure no one else is able to see or do that.

I'm happy with GCVote. It does a good job but it lacks in 2 areas: it's not in-house and not filterable (I'd like a PQ of 3-star to 5-star rated caches.

But you know you can get a PQ of all the cache in a big spot then use GSAK to filter out the ones with the ratings you want?

I already use Cacheberry. I really don't want to buy another software product and I especially don't want to buy and carry around a PDA. Is GSAK compatible with a Blackberry? A long time ago I tried a trial version of GSAK but found it rather complicated to use, and then I read how you need to create macros to get it to do what you want it to do. That threw me for a loop so I didn't buy it. It may have changed in the interim. Haven't had another look at it in at least a year.

Also explains a bit why they haven't made it optional --- it looks like it's a fair amount more work to do that (hours of coding) but shouldn't be impossible to achieve.
In HTML code you can add text around anything you want... just putting a note of text under the Facebook controlled content wouldn't do anything....except clear up all the confusion and explain to people what happens when they click the LIKE button. Unless of course you don't want people to know what they're doing.

fb111.jpg

NOTE: Clicking the LIKE button will add

a link to this geocache page on your Facebook

home page. This is not a cache rating system.

Is it THAT dang hard to do?????

Edited by infiniteMPG

"2 people like this. "

Thanks for checking this out for me because I see: "(insert my facebook name) and one other person like this". When I click on my name it takes me to my facebook account. I just want to be sure no one else is able to see or do that.

Your Facebook friends will also see your name when they view that cache.

Hi!

You still ignore that I simply don't want to see these id**ts from Facebook on my cache pages.

Are you saying I'm an idiot? :ph34r:

On first sight it looks like I did so, yes ;-)

And now to the serious answer to your question:

1. I don't like Facebook at all (some reasons can be found in this thread already)

2. Most of the people I do know using Facebook use it without really thinking about what kind of info they post to the world. To me this seems to be not THAT intelligent.

3. It could be that this kind of usage is more related to my country and that people from other parts of the world use it in a different way.

4. I wouldn't expect foreigners to LIKE my caches as it rarely happens that they come over and visit them.

5. All together this means that I would be more than happy if no Facebook user could LIKE my caches as I don't want to see a link to them on any Facebook page/wall/whatever

I hope that lets you understand what I mean.

Just because I like one of your caches?

Yes, I just "liked" one of your caches. A link to your cache shows up on my Facebook wall. So now about 200 geocachers and 30 or so other friends and family are going to see a link. I wonder how many of those 30 or so people, who mostly live in Southern California, and couldn't give a crp about geocaching, are going to book a flight to Germany just so they can steal your cache?

Seriously, get over yourself.

Not to know something does not mean it doesn't exits. Ask the people from Olympia, WA. They already changed lots of their caches to PMO as some people simply liked to steal their caches already. Do you really think I want to attract even more people who don't have any relationship to geocaching to my caches?

It must be really hard to accept that others might NOT like Facebook...

And by the way: As I changed my caches to PMO I'm pretty sure that not too many of the people you mentioned were able to see my cache page(s) now... Just trying to make it as hard (and unusable or at least less valuable) for Facebook users!

Bye,

Christian

I think the whole idea of a rating system other then the logs for the cache is pointless and provides nothing of value. Who cares if 400 people like a lamp post cache is the person using the rating system does not like lamp post caches. There is no context of a like it if you don’t know what kind of caches person who likes it likes. You would have to filter out the people that like caches you don’t like and then see if you want to visit the cache. Or you could just read the description and or logs and decide for yourself.

That is covered by a system like GCVOTE.

The "Like" button IS vetted already. You deliberately add friends on Facebook. Chances are, if you're not just collecting "friends" as another number, you know about the caching styles of the people you connect with. If a lamp post/FTF hound "likes" a cache I simply ignore that. If a cacher who is known to like caches I like "Likes" a cache, and I see that on the Facebook news feed, I'll probably pop over and look at it.

I'm one of those cachers who doesn't like to read the logs if possible before heading out. The listing, yes, of course but I hate it when you see the first logs that give away the hide details. It says right there on the listing "Logs may contain SPOILERS". There must be a happy medium between reading spoilers and finding crappy caches. Ontario now has almost 20,000 caches.

Simply reading the cache pages one by one is not an effective use of my time when trying to determine where to go caching next. It would literally take me days to read all the caches and logs in Ontario to decide that "Hey, that one looks interesting". Yes, we should look at the bookmark lists ... but again this is tedious and there aren't really that many cachers maintaining a quality bookmark list for caches. I can't wait until there's a proper rating system. For now, I'll be using the "Like" function to explore caches that might be interesting, by following the links on people's FB page (that I respect) and looking at the listing.

Having said that, I'm going to get out the broken record and repeat myself for the umpteenth time:

The "Like" system is NOT INTENDED to be a rating system so I don't know what your point really is, or how it fits into the context of this thread .... I asked if we could filter on the "Like" caches more for curiosity than anything else.

I've spent most of my time in this thread having to defend the standpoint that some geocachers, including myself, LIKE the button.

I am not big into the whole social networking thing. I go out and find caches and socialize with people in person. It is too bad you don;t read the cache listings considering the time the lister took to create the listing. If you intent is to visit caches based on what other people think, then I guess you are destined to follow what other people have done instead of venturing out and finding out for yourself what a cache is like.

13764: Quick "like it" for geocaches

Added Facebook "Like" functionality to cache pages

I'm wondering if we'll have search tools for the "Like"d caches. This sounds like a GREAT new feature for separating the good caches from the mediocre caches. Not perfect but still quite useful.

I'm hoping we'll see search tools on the site (show most liked caches that I haven't found that are closest to home). I'm sure that's already in the works.

My question is --- will this information be exposed in the Pocket Query GPX files? I'd love to be able to use GSAK filters with the # of times "Liked" to get the quality caches to bubble to the top of my search for where to cache.

Of course if this is in the GPX files, I'd love to know how it's being implemented so it doesn't break applications.

My point is quite clear. You want quality caches to bubble to the surface based on the number of times a cache is liked by having that information in the GPX file. That would be a rating system regardless of how you rationalize it. As I pointed out before, only having the number of likes and no context, the information would not be very useful.

I'm one of those cachers who doesn't like to read the logs if possible before heading out. The listing, yes, of course but I hate it when you see the first logs that give away the hide details. It says right there on the listing "Logs may contain SPOILERS". There must be a happy medium between reading spoilers and finding crappy caches. Ontario now has almost 20,000 caches.

I am not big into the whole social networking thing. I go out and find caches and socialize with people in person. It is too bad you don;t read the cache listings considering the time the lister took to create the listing. If you intent is to visit caches based on what other people think, then I guess you are destined to follow what other people have done instead of venturing out and finding out for yourself what a cache is like.

*sigh* I bold faced the part of what I said, that you quoted, where I indicate I DO READ THE LISTINGS. I indicated there are 20,000 geocaches in Ontario and I wanted to filter. Let me know when you are done reading all 20,000 listings. I would rather be out caching.

As for your choice not to use social networks, that's your choice. I don't use eBay. The internet is different tools for different people ... besides, I thought we were past the point where the Internet was only being used by isolationists in their parent's basements.

Of course, since you never use social networks, you are obviously not an admin for any Facebook Geocaching groups, like this one GHMGC

My point is quite clear. You want quality caches to bubble to the surface based on the number of times a cache is liked by having that information in the GPX file. That would be a rating system regardless of how you rationalize it. As I pointed out before, only having the number of likes and no context, the information would not be very useful.

What's your point? The point of this thread was to discuss the offline availability of the "Like" data. There's plenty of hate-on facebook, or I demand a rating system, or rating systems are stupid threads out there. Or you could make your own thread to serve those purposes. So you wouldn't find it useful.... nobody is telling you to use it. Unless, of course your point is simple trolling.

*sigh* I bold faced the part of what I said, that you quoted, where I indicate I DO READ THE LISTINGS. I indicated there are 20,000 geocaches in Ontario and I wanted to filter. Let me know when you are done reading all 20,000 listings. I would rather be out caching.

As for your choice not to use social networks, that's your choice. I don't use eBay. The internet is different tools for different people ... besides, I thought we were past the point where the Internet was only being used by isolationists in their parent's basements.

Of course, since you never use social networks, you are obviously not an admin for any Facebook Geocaching groups, like this one GHMGC

What's your point? The point of this thread was to discuss the offline availability of the "Like" data. There's plenty of hate-on facebook, or I demand a rating system, or rating systems are stupid threads out there. Or you could make your own thread to serve those purposes. So you wouldn't find it useful.... nobody is telling you to use it. Unless, of course your point is simple trolling.

First of all I didn't say I never user social networks, did not say I hate facebook, I am not demanding a rating system, and did not say a rating system was stupid. Just because I find no value in the like it link does not mean I am wrong, it just means I have a different opinion.

Trolling

You started this thread with wanting to "be able to use GSAK filters with the # of times "Liked" to get the quality caches to bubble to the top of my search for where to cache."

I responded to that and you decided to infer I was trolling which is not a very nice thing to post to someone in a forum. Please keep personal accusations out of this and allow people to discuss the original topic of this thread which includes what they think about it.

"2 people like this. "

So if my facebook friend goes to a geocaching page that I pushed the "like" button on they won't see: 2 people like this. Instead they will see: (insert facebook name here) and one other (or more depending on how many)person like this?

Don't really care if people like or dislike Facebook, what I *DO* care about is be clear and concise about what people are actually doing when they click on things and not misleading them. I'll go back to my idea (that got no responses) about adding a little explanation to the GC page stuff :

fb111.jpg

NOTE: Clicking the LIKE button will add

a link to this geocache page on your Facebook

home page. This is not a cache rating system.

What's the problem with TELLING people what the link does and then let them decide if they want to use it or not???? I could put this icon on a webpage...

fb1.jpg

And then when people click on it, it's destroys their computer and all I have to do is say "It's the Format icon, why did you click on it?"

Just tell people what they're doing when they click on your link.... just common sense and the considerate thing to do.

And as a side note, MANY people I know who are on GC site have a tough time figuring out how a GPSr works and still cache by printing out hard copies as they haven't a clue about paperless caching, PQ's or PDAs. They are pretty techie illiterate. Same kind of goes for a lot of people on Facebook. They have just enough knowledge to be dangerous... it would only help to try to educate them as to what they're doing BEFORE they do it. Thought that was why the new intro video was posted on the main GC page. To EDUCATE people. Might help to do the same with this Facebook connection. Don't just throw some obscure icon that looks, smells and quacks like a rating system in front of people.

Edited by infiniteMPG

Ok this is funny... And waaaaaay off topic

Still, I can't help but wonder what would have happened if it was a Bacon button instead of a Like button

"Gregory and 3 of your friends added Bacon to this cache"

:ph34r:;);)

funnyworld_peace_bacon_demotivation.jpg

"2 people like this. "

So if my facebook friend goes to a geocaching page that I pushed the "like" button on they won't see: 2 people like this. Instead they will see: (insert facebook name here) and one other (or more depending on how many)person like this?

Correct.

"2 people like this. "

Correct.

Don't really have any facebook friends who geocache and therefore nobody will see that I liked the cache. They'll only see that "2 people liked this". If I did have facebook friends that geocached then they would see my facebook name and the fact that I liked or recommended/endorsed this cache when they went to the cache webpage.

Too bad I can't use my list of "friends" at geocaching.com.

An house system would work well for that too.

Edited by Luckless
It also doesn't appear to be a "Like" similar to Facebook ... it appears to be the Like FROM Facebook. Links to my FB profile page.

and that's what it is. useless to those of us who don't use facebook.

I was wondering why like didn't do anything when i clicked it on a puzzle i enjoyed.

I was wondering why like didn't do anything when i clicked it on a puzzle i enjoyed.

you can't like something just like that. you need a FB account in order to like something - only FB users are able to like something. doesn't that make sense to you?