"Like" Button for Cache Pages

northernpenguin

..... I wish that the resources had been allocated to any number of other features that the user-base has actually stated a desire for.

Killer marketing strategy.

That is simply all it is - a Marketing thing for the younger people ith disposable incomes! Ppffft.

One feature they could have used all the extra srript on is this - Friend find count thread

But no, Money is more important than making existing customers happy!

If I liked a cache, didn't I already say so in my log?

I am very disappointed by the addition of this FB link, since it has caused at least one local cacher to disable his cache listings. Plus, FB has too much rep as a security risk, and now everything you put on there is going to be owned by the Feds, forever. That's a subject I haven't seen touched in this thread. I won't get into what I think FB (and others) is doing to society in general, but personally, I think it's a complete waste of time and resources - I'd rather be hunting my next cache. As others have noted, why do I want to know why you pierced your nipples?

What about using a log word count as a rating system? I find that the more mundane a cache is, the fewer words are used to log a find. Yet when there are paragraphs written in a single log, obviously the finder enjoyed themselves enough to brag about it. Not perfect, but it sounds like a truer "rating" system than a simple button that means nothing.

Give me an opt-out feature, GS, if you insist on keeping the FB link on cache pages.

If I liked a cache, didn't I already say so in my log?

I am very disappointed by the addition of this FB link, since it has caused at least one local cacher to disable his cache listings. Plus, FB has too much rep as a security risk, and now everything you put on there is going to be owned by the Feds, forever. That's a subject I haven't seen touched in this thread. I won't get into what I think FB (and others) is doing to society in general, but personally, I think it's a complete waste of time and resources - I'd rather be hunting my next cache. As others have noted, why do I want to know why you pierced your nipples?

How is this different from my linking to a cache page on Digg, Reddit, Slashdot, del.icio.us, Flickr, Twitter, Google Buzz, foxmarks, MySpace, or whatever?

It's a link to the page - if you don't have a Facebook account it doesn't affect you at all. If you DO have a Facebook account, you still have the choice to share a link or not. The US Government is not tracking geocachers via the Facebook "Like" button. You cannot tell if someone who "liked" your cache pierced their nipples unless you sign up for Facebook, friend them, and look at their profile page. The problem here is, unless you were friends already, you won't know they "liked" your cache page.

There are so many misconceptions about this functionality it's not even remotely funny.

Disabling your caches because there is the opportunity to share it on Facebook is pointless and a gross overreaction. That is like disabling your cache because you don't like one of the advertisers on Geocaching.com when you happen to see their banner ad beside your cache.

Disabling your caches because there is the opportunity to share it on Facebook is pointless and a gross overreaction. That is like disabling your cache because you don't like one of the advertisers on Geocaching.com when you happen to see their banner ad beside your cache.
Ahhh, but in this hyper-politically correct world people will do things like that.... and IMHO good-riddens....

As far as posting "real names" on cache pages, yeah, can set up a FB geocaching account but then it's not linked to me anymore which means the FB account I use to stay in touch with co-workers and former school chums is totally removed from my GC FB account, so now I have two FB accounts to track. Geeze....

Guess my big question is what's the advantage to the GC community of tying this in to FB?

And what's next, we're going to be able to hide virtual geocaches on someone's Farmville property? :angry:

the opportunity to share it on Facebook
One additional question...

IF SOMEONE LIKES A PREMIUM MEMBER ONLY CACHE AND IT'S NOW LINKED ON FACEBOOK, CAN A NON-PREMIUM MEMBER VIEW THE CACHE THRU FACEBOOK EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE NOT A PREMIUM MEMBER?

Just curious and since I don't have a non-premium member account I can't really test this.

Ahhh, but in this hyper-politically correct world people will do things like that.... and IMHO good-riddens....

As far as posting "real names" on cache pages, yeah, can set up a FB geocaching account but then it's not linked to me anymore which means the FB account I use to stay in touch with co-workers and former school chums is totally removed from my GC FB account, so now I have two FB accounts to track. Geeze....

Guess my big question is what's the advantage to the GC community of tying this in to FB?

And what's next, we're going to be able to hide virtual geocaches on someone's Farmville property? :angry:

That's a ridiculous jump that undermines your argument. Geocaching.com is not an "app" on Facebook. It allows you to share information to your Facebook contacts about a cache you like. That's all. Why would you set up a second account just to use with Geocaching.com? You either want to use this function to share with your Facebook contacts, or you don't. No need to make a shell account over there.

the opportunity to share it on Facebook
One additional question...

IF SOMEONE LIKES A PREMIUM MEMBER ONLY CACHE AND IT'S NOW LINKED ON FACEBOOK, CAN A NON-PREMIUM MEMBER VIEW THE CACHE THRU FACEBOOK EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE NOT A PREMIUM MEMBER?

Just curious and since I don't have a non-premium member account I can't really test this.

If nothing else, they will be directed to the Geocaching.com site, where they can learn all about geocaching and perhaps even join. I believe PMO caches are not utilizing the "Like" function at this time, but I could be wrong about that.

That's a ridiculous jump that undermines your argument. Geocaching.com is not an "app" on Facebook. It allows you to share information to your Facebook contacts about a cache you like. That's all. Why would you set up a second account just to use with Geocaching.com? You either want to use this function to share with your Facebook contacts, or you don't. No need to make a shell account over there.
If I don't want <REAL NAME> likes this cache posted on the cache page rather then <infiniteMPG> likes this cache, then I need a Facebook account under <infiniteMPG> rather then <REAL NAME> or is there another way to NOT have your <REAL NAME> shown on the cache page when you do a LIKE? I tested this on a listing, then logged out of GC and went to the cache page. Even though I wasn't logged in and couldn't get the coords, I could still see <REAL NAME> likes that cache... ::sigh:: I don't care to have <REAL NAME> showing on the listing pages, if I did I would of signed up for GC with <REAL NAME> rather then <infiniteMPG>

If nothing else, they will be directed to the Geocaching.com site, where they can learn all about geocaching and perhaps even join. I believe PMO caches are not utilizing the "Like" function at this time, but I could be wrong about that.
Should be something that we should know without having to sign up for a bogus GC account just to test...
If I don't want <REAL NAME> likes this cache posted on the cache page rather then <infiniteMPG> likes this cache, then I need a Facebook account under <infiniteMPG> rather then <REAL NAME> or is there another way to NOT have your <REAL NAME> shown on the cache page when you do a LIKE? I tested this on a listing, then logged out of GC and went to the cache page. Even though I wasn't logged in and couldn't get the coords, I could still see <REAL NAME> likes that cache... ::sigh:: I don't care to have <REAL NAME> showing on the listing pages, if I did I would of signed up for GC with <REAL NAME> rather then <infiniteMPG>

You're missing the point. It is not a feature to show that "northernpenguin" likes this cache to other cachers. It's a feature to show that "John Doe" likes this geocache listing on Geocaching.com ... on a social networking site. <REAL NAME> only shows up if you are <REAL NAME> or you are friends with <REAL NAME> on Facebook. If I go to a cache that you have "Liked" I won't see your <REAL NAME>. Period.

For showing that "northernpenguin" likes a cache to other cachers, the recommendation is to use a Bookmark List. It is also not a rating system, as OpinioNate, Moun10bike and Keystone have already mentioned in several threads - that feature is coming later (assuming the Premium members don't riot over THAT new function being added to THEIR cache pages).

Should be something that we should know without having to sign up for a bogus GC account just to test...

Does it really matter?

You're missing the point. It is not a feature to show that "northernpenguin" likes this cache to other cachers. It's a feature to show that "John Doe" likes this geocache listing on Geocaching.com ... on a social networking site. <REAL NAME> only shows up if you are <REAL NAME> or you are friends with <REAL NAME> on Facebook. If I go to a cache that you have "Liked" I won't see your <REAL NAME>. Period.
Okay, I assume then that when I did my testing, I was still logged into Facebook even though I was logged out of GC. Misunderstanding on my part and I checked and that's true.

For showing that "northernpenguin" likes a cache to other cachers, the recommendation is to use a Bookmark List. It is also not a rating system, as OpinioNate, Moun10bike and Keystone have already mentioned in several threads - that feature is coming later (assuming the Premium members don't riot over THAT new function being added to THEIR cache pages).
I understand it's not a rating system as LIKE is a FB term, but if some site used S*CKS to mean that a site pulls people in and it's a good thing, most people would still look at S*CKS as a negative thing regardless of the actual purpose. If I wanted to link a GC to FB because the listing was ridiculous and full of typing errors, the coords were off and the location was terrible, I would have to do a LIKE which would still imply to people that I LIKE it.

Does it really matter?

To a cache owner who had dozens of caches raided and all the trackables and coins stolen until I made them all Premium Member Only caches YES.... it matters a LOT!

Hi!

First of all: I don't want to see a link to MY caches on Facebook at all! I would not care about the # of likes on my caches if there wouldn't be this extra link inside of Facebook, too!

And that's also the reason why I probably will not complain about an internal rating system even if I also probably would not use it at all :-) The only kind of rating system I would eventually use are some bookmark lists from my friends whom I know as I would know what kind of caches they like. I don't care what other people eventually like as they might like way different caches than I do...

Does it really matter?

Yes, it does ;-) That was exactly the reason why I converted all my caches into PMO ones... As far as I understand this is the only way right now to protect my caches against these Facebook users.

Bye,

Christian

First of all: I don't want to see a link to MY caches on Facebook at all! I would not care about the # of likes on my caches if there wouldn't be this extra link inside of Facebook, too!

Your cache, but Groundspeak owns the site, and the servers that host it. You are free to post your cache information on another listing site or YOUR personal webpage. If you want to benefit from the marketing of Geocaching.com to attract visitors to your cache, well you're going to have to play by the rules in that sandbox. The "Like" button, appearing on the Geocaching.com site is one of the marketing efforts that Groundspeak has chosen to use.

Seriously, if you don't want people linking to your cache page, it has no business being placed on the world's largest geocache listing site. You should perhaps just print it out and hand out copies to the dozen or so people you want visiting the cache ....

Does it really matter?

Yes, it does ;-) That was exactly the reason why I converted all my caches into PMO ones... As far as I understand this is the only way right now to protect my caches against these Facebook users.

I very much doubt that a hyperlink is capable of bypassing the login requirement for viewing a Premium Member Only cache. I'll remind you the "Like" button places a hyperlink on the page (seriously, this goes all the way back to RFC2068 in 1997 or farther back even) . It's not an app that gets loaded. It doesn't have some magic cookie profile for viewing information, or logging a cache or tracking visitors to a cache page.

Hyperlinking is how the Internet works, specifically how the World Wide Web works. If you place content on a website, people can link to it. The fact that Facebook wraps it up in some pretty javascript in an iframe is a natural evolution of the process. Get used to it, or take your content to a more private location.

EDIT: Cleaned up quote block

Edited by northernpenguin
Hyperlinking is how the Internet works, specifically how the World Wide Web works. If you place content on a website, people can link to it. The fact that Facebook wraps it up in some pretty javascript in an iframe is a natural evolution of the process. Get used to it, or take your content to a more private location.
Would answer a lot of issues if the LIKE button were converted to a LINK button instead. When it all comes down to it that is what seems to be the point of contention. Like in my earlier post, you may want to link a GC page for negative reasons but you'd have to LIKE it to do that. Duh....

I think I'll create a BLOWS CHUNKS button on my FB account. Of course it will mean that something is so great that it can't be contained by it's current web restraints and spills over discharging wonderful pieces of itself to all corners of the internet.... :angry:

::sarcasm break here::

Hi!

Your cache, but Groundspeak owns the site, and the servers that host it. You are free to post your cache information on another listing site or YOUR personal webpage. If you want to benefit from the marketing of Geocaching.com to attract visitors to your cache, well you're going to have to play by the rules in that sandbox. The "Like" button, appearing on the Geocaching.com site is one of the marketing efforts that Groundspeak has chosen to use.

And I have chosen to fight against that as good as I can. And having PMO caches is allowed as far as I understand ;-) Tough luck it has the side effect that the big number of the Facebook users can't see it any longer...

And by the way: If too many users don't like this new feature I'm pretty sure Groundspeak can't ignore that for ever. And guess what: For me it looks like they already learn that the hard way. Not a single comment from any Groundspeak guy regarding these complaints... That's not exactly how I would treat customers and I do work with customers the whole day long!

Seriously, if you don't want people linking to your cache page, it has no business being placed on the world's largest geocache listing site. You should perhaps just print it out and hand out copies to the dozen or so people you want visiting the cache ....

You still ignore that I simply don't want to see these id**ts from Facebook on my cache pages. I'm really fine attracting geocachers with my caches but not some people completely out of geocahing just by accident. We already had such guys destroying caches and things like that are absolutely not what I want to see happen to my caches.

And guess what: I already pay to have some kind of service but I don't like to get worse service that before and for me THIS is worse service now. Totally unwanted and unneeded stuff!

Does it really matter?

I very much doubt that a hyperlink is capable of bypassing the login requirement for viewing a Premium Member Only cache. I'll remind you the "Like" button places a hyperlink on the page (seriously, this goes all the way back to RFC2068 in 1997 or farther back even) . It's not an app that gets loaded. It doesn't have some magic cookie profile for viewing information, or logging a cache or tracking visitors to a cache page.

Guess what: I already do know what hyperlinks are so please go teach others ;-) But I also know that it is not a need to have that many links on a web site. So I only want to be able to decide if this Facebook crap will be shown on my caches or not. Especially as these links are additionally intended to get info about me, too. I already block this crap on my computers and on my ISA server...

Any by the way: I do know about other sites, too and at least one of them has some fans here already...

In the end I simply would be happy if you could understand that one has the right to dislike the like feature!

Bye,

Christian

Ok, so I was excited to be able to express my opinion for the caches I really found to be a lot of fun. I went to the webpage of one and hit the "Like" button. I was asked to log into facebook, which I did. Then it said on the web page that :(insert name used on facebook here) liked this cache.

Well I don't want my real name from facebook on a cache webpage, worse yet if I clicked on my name it took me to my facebook page with all kinds of personal information I don't want others to see. I don't know if others were also able to view this. Agh! So much for the privacy of my geocaching user name.

I had to logout at facebook so that my name would not show up on the cache page. After I logged out it only said 1 person liked this cache- no name. Ok, so that was better. Still the next time I hit the "like" button on a geocache page it did it again and my name was instantly on all the pages where I had previously said I liked the cache. I don't think it shows up if I just log into facebook, only when I hit the "like" button on the geocaching webpage to log into facebook that I like it. Then I have to be sure to go to facebook and logout.

Not so good- You get my vote for an in house "like" system.

Even though I was the first to "like" a cache sometimes it said two people like this cache after I clicked the "like" button. Think I accidently double clicked the "like" button twice and that each one was recorded so that it says two people like the cache. Maybe I could get ten people to like the cache by clicking it ten times?

What does it mean to Like a Page

There's a lot of misinformation going on here about what the "Like" button does.

5,000 people can "Like" your cache page and not one of them will have access to your personal information.

Your name shows up on the cache page you "Liked" once, and only if you are logged into Facebook and you ARE the person who "Liked" it, or are ALREADY FRIENDS with the person who "Liked" it. If you click it twice you toggle it off and on. People who visit the cache, and who are not already connected to you on Facebook (you gave them permission to do that!) will only see that "1 Person Likes This", or "2 Persons Like This".

Groundspeak has already acknowledged this in another thread. Repeatedly. It is OFFICIALLY not the Rating system, it is a method for sharing a cache on a social networking site. The "Like" feature is shared to contacts of the people who "Liked" it, not just anyone.

Apparently some people on Geocaching.com believe that half a billion people are idiots as mentioned in the posts above. That represents 40% of the USA population, and 45% of the Canadian population FYI. I will put forward that calling 500 million people collectively idiots for utilizing the services of one social network is in itself, idiotic.

Apparently some people on Geocaching.com believe that half a billion people are idiots as mentioned in the posts above. That represents 40% of the USA population, and 45% of the Canadian population FYI. I will put forward that calling 500 million people collectively idiots for utilizing the services of one social network is in itself, idiotic.

It may be true that the half billion Facebook users are idiots. But what really looks stupid is imagining all the things that the Like button does instead of finding out what it actually does.

If you are not a Facebook subscriber, the Like button on the page does not reveal any of your private information to anybody or make you more likely to be scammed, spammed, or stalked by anyone. It simply will display the button on the cache page and a indication of how many Facebook users have clicked this button.

It will put a link to your cache page on their Facebook page and their Facebook friends may be notified that they have "liked" your page (depending on their privacy settings). So you may get some more visitors to your cache page. But these people will have to log in to Geocaching.com to see the coordinates for your cache and if your cache is PMO they will have to be premium members to see anything on your page. People already have the capability to put links to a cache they like on their Facebook page (or on their blog or in email they send). The "Like" button does not give them any more capability. - Now if they are truly idiots and don't know how to post a link elsewhere, the "Like" button does it for them so perhaps you object to people using a tool to create links automatically that don't know how to create a link otherwise.

If you are a Facebook member and are logged into Facebook you will see the name of your Facebook friends that clicked the like button and a number of other Facebook members who have not accepted you as a friend who clicked the button. You won't now know that person's geocaching name - only the name they use on Facebook, and they won't see your Facebook name because they clicked on your cache page. But since you can see their Facebook name you could, if you wanted, contact them through Facebook to thank them for liking your cache. What some Facebook members don't realize is that if you like a cache, you've become a fan of Geocaching.com and now Geocaching.com can post certain messages to your Facebook feed. I'm not sure what the Facebook privacy settings are regarding what Geocaching.com can see if you become a fan.

Here's the scoop. If you are not a Facebook member the Like button does not reveal anything about you or your cache to Facebook or any Facebook member that they can't already get with a basic geocaching.com account. If you are a Facebook member and you never click "Like", you have not given up any more information about yourself than what you already agree to give when you got a Facebook account. Facebook could record that you viewed certain page that has a "Like" button on even if you don't click it - but unless you absolutely don't trust anything Facebook does you don't need to worry about that happening. If you are a Facebook member and you click the button, Facebook will reveal that you clicked the button and some additional information like your name, subject to your Facebook privacy settings, to your Facebook friends and to Geocaching.com.

Of course if you can interpret the secret insignia inside of Mark Zuckerberg's hoodie, it would be clear that Facebook is planning on world domination of the Internet through the Like button, and see that all this explaination of what the "Like" button really does is BS. :D:blink:

Hi!

There's a lot of misinformation going on here about what the "Like" button does.

5,000 people can "Like" your cache page and not one of them will have access to your personal information.

Your name shows up on the cache page you "Liked" once, and only if you are logged into Facebook and you ARE the person who "Liked" it, or are ALREADY FRIENDS with the person who "Liked" it. If you click it twice you toggle it off and on. People who visit the cache, and who are not already connected to you on Facebook (you gave them permission to do that!) will only see that "1 Person Likes This", or "2 Persons Like This".

Groundspeak has already acknowledged this in another thread. Repeatedly. It is OFFICIALLY not the Rating system, it is a method for sharing a cache on a social networking site. The "Like" feature is shared to contacts of the people who "Liked" it, not just anyone.

You're right! There really is lots of misinformation here. And you did a nice job keeping it that way...

1. You're eventually right with what you've explained about the "like" feature. But too bad that you missed to tell the other half of the story :-) Facebook will know about every cache you've visited within geocaching.com at least as you're logged in into Facebook at the same time. Additionally to "like" a cache creates a link to that cache on your Facebook page, too. So exactly here we are back at what I want to get from Groundspeak: An option to disable this link from MY cache pages...

2. At least I don't care if the intention was to have a quick 'n dirty rating system or to eventually attract more people to geocaching or whatever.

3. Yes, I really believe that many (if not most) of the Facebook users are kind of idiotic! And they prove that to me in every single second! Making friends all the time just to have a huge number on your personal page IS idiotic. Telling people lots of crap regarding your daily life IS idiotic. Putting quite private pictures on such a page IS idiotic. As a Facebook user you don't have a chance to really distinguish between real world friends and Facebook friends but per default you show them about every personal info you have stored on that site. Isn't that idiotic? Do I need to continue with that list?

So PLEASE don't believe that you've found the only truth in the world regarding Facebook. Having JUST 500 millions of users also does mean that another ~5.5 BILLION people in the world still refused to use that site. So you are part of a minority in the end... ;-)

Bye,

Christian

It may be true that the half billion Facebook users are idiots. But what really looks stupid is imagining all the things that the Like button does instead of finding out what it actually does.

Good start :-)

It will put a link to your cache page on their Facebook page and their Facebook friends may be notified that they have "liked" your page (depending on their privacy settings). So you may get some more visitors to your cache page. But these people will have to log in to Geocaching.com to see the coordinates for your cache and if your cache is PMO they will have to be premium members to see anything on your page.

That's exactly why I changed all my caches to PMO caches :-)

People already have the capability to put links to a cache they like on their Facebook page (or on their blog or in email they send). The "Like" button does not give them any more capability. - Now if they are truly idiots and don't know how to post a link elsewhere, the "Like" button does it for them so perhaps you object to people using a tool to create links automatically that don't know how to create a link otherwise.

You missed the part that having this button makes it way more likely that there will be such links as it's close to no work. Guess why Facebook created such a feature... It's definitely not because people already created such a number of links to other sites already :-)

Facebook could record that you viewed certain page that has a "Like" button on even if you don't click it - but unless you absolutely don't trust anything Facebook does you don't need to worry about that happening. If you are a Facebook member and you click the button, Facebook will reveal that you clicked the button and some additional information like your name, subject to your Facebook privacy settings, to your Facebook friends and to Geocaching.com.

But I really don't trust sites like Facebook at all ;-) That's exactly why I blocked Facebook on my personal network completely and why I don't want to see any information about me on Facebook. And this definitely includes my geocaches, too!

Bye,

Christian

Hi!

You're right! There really is lots of misinformation here. And you did a nice job keeping it that way...

1. You're eventually right with what you've explained about the "like" feature. But too bad that you missed to tell the other half of the story :-) Facebook will know about every cache you've visited within geocaching.com at least as you're logged in into Facebook at the same time. Additionally to "like" a cache creates a link to that cache on your Facebook page, too. So exactly here we are back at what I want to get from Groundspeak: An option to disable this link from MY cache pages...

2. At least I don't care if the intention was to have a quick 'n dirty rating system or to eventually attract more people to geocaching or whatever.

3. Yes, I really believe that many (if not most) of the Facebook users are kind of idiotic! And they prove that to me in every single second! Making friends all the time just to have a huge number on your personal page IS idiotic. Telling people lots of crap regarding your daily life IS idiotic. Putting quite private pictures on such a page IS idiotic. As a Facebook user you don't have a chance to really distinguish between real world friends and Facebook friends but per default you show them about every personal info you have stored on that site. Isn't that idiotic? Do I need to continue with that list?

So PLEASE don't believe that you've found the only truth in the world regarding Facebook. Having JUST 500 millions of users also does mean that another ~5.5 BILLION people in the world still refused to use that site. So you are part of a minority in the end... ;-)

Bye,

Christian

Meh, they are doing it wrong.

I keep my facebook page limited to people I know and am interested in. I have maybe 28 friends on facebook and I'm super interested to see the photos they post and what they are up to when I'm too busy/ far away to see them.

Certainly, people should be careful what sorts of information they post on a site like facebook, but any useful tool has its downside. I'm not sure why people are automatically idiots for having a different hobby than chasing tupperware in the woods and inciting bomb scares :D You sound like you perhaps lack self control, but most of us can use the service and not do most of the "idiotic" things that keep you awake "every second" of the night.

At the end of the day your generalizations, name calling and paranoia don't help you make the more finite argument I think you are going for.

Either way, you aren't living your life very privately from what I can see :blink:

Welcome to the internet!

Edited by d+n.shults

Hi!

Meh, they are doing it wrong.

I keep my facebook page limited to people I know and am interested in. I have maybe 28 friends on facebook and I'm super interested to see the photos they post and what they are up to when I'm too busy/ far away to see them.

Certainly, people should be careful what sorts of information they post on a site like facebook, but any useful tool has its downside. I'm not sure why people are automatically idiots for having a different hobby than chasing tupperware in the woods and inciting bomb scares :D You sound like you perhaps lack self control, but most of us can use the service and not do most of the "idiotic" things that keep you awake "every second" of the night.

At the end of the day your generalizations, name calling and paranoia don't help you make the more finite argument I think you are going for.

Either way, you aren't living your life very privately from what I can see :blink:

Welcome to the internet!

Might be you understood how Facebook works and how to make best use of it! But believe me, too many others don't know that and most of the people I know using it really behave kind of idiotic in whom the make friends with and what kind of info they share with them.

I don't claim Facebook users being idiotic in general but for sure very often behave idiotic very often. As I said: Making friends with about every one or share "important" info on what they've done last night or similar stuff. Understood? That's what I don't to be part of and that's the reason why I don't want to see my caches there.

Might be name calling isn't the right way, you're right. But please don't call it paranoia ;-) Just go google what Facebook wants to know about their users. Or see what already happened to some caches in my part of the world (which is not the US) because of some idiotic (sorry for that, but true!) people destroying caches just for fun. And I simply don't want to attract others to geocaching any longer. It's already too many people around here doing that. Many here believe that it would be way better only having a small crowd doing that and don't attract the public...

What I don't understand from your post is: "lacking self control". I know what I wrote but I am german, not american and I don't believe in political correctness (if wanted I can explain that in a way longer post...). Simply means that I usually say what I mean...

And now to your last sentence: I NEVER said that my life should be completely private! I am an active part of our local geocaching community so you for sure can find some info about me. And I don't care about that! But I do care about giving info to people absolutely not related to my hobby. And this is where Facebook comes into the game ;-) Exactly the reason why I changes my caches into PMO caches. (By the way: What do you thing you do know about me now? Just send an email if you wish...)

Hopefully you now do understand (better) what I want to say...

Bye,

Christian

Or see what already happened to some caches in my part of the world (which is not the US) because of some idiotic (sorry for that, but true!) people destroying caches just for fun. And I simply don't want to attract others to geocaching any longer. It's already too many people around here doing that. Many here believe that it would be way better only having a small crowd doing that and don't attract the public...

Well here I see the true agenda - you don't want your caches promoted, anywhere. That's your call but telling Groundspeak not to enable marketing of their core product isn't going to happen. You need to move your cache pages to a more 'community minded' listing service and not host it at a business who's main purpose is to spread Geocaching to the (unwashed?) masses. Perhaps you would be better to list your caches over on that site that requires "sponsors" ...

There's plenty of Geocaching sites that have small crowds. Geocaching.com is not one of them, and I'm pretty darn sure Jeremy isn't going to put the genie back in the bottle and cancel the memberships of everyone but charter members. This is how he pays his mortgage and puts food on the table.

It's too bad a few bad apples (who are likely not even on Facebook) are ruining your geocaching experience. Around here, we have Geocaching associations who exist entirely on Facebook as a group. They plan monthly geocaching gatherings and host events. They fix up broken caches and have been rallied in the past to drive a geovandal out of town --- who wasn't using Facebook but left when confronted with several hundred angry cachers.

There are people who use Facebook intelligently, just as there are geovandals and "idiots" who have accounts on Geocaching.com.

I like it.

I also like Facebook (and once I was also rabidly against it), it keeps me in touch with family and friends afar.

I will likely "like" one cache per run, and will definitely use this 'like" button to promote it. Why not? My FB friends, including a whole bunch of cachers, can also see it and appreciate it.

I dislike all the misinformation in this thread.

Likely, the naysayers don't understand as usual. Just because they don't like doesn't mean they need to try and undermine it.

Apparently some people on Geocaching.com believe that half a billion people are idiots as mentioned in the posts above.

I know, but we tend to be a hopelessly optimistic group. We can't help it if we so drastically underestimated the number of idiots in the world. :blink:

I'm puzzled why you, northernpenguin, would be spending so much time and energy defending something that everybody else here seems to either hate, or at best, feel indifferent about. Is it just a penguin thing?

Personally, right or wrong, I have no particular security fears... I just think the whole "Like this" concept is childish.

Hi!

Well here I see the true agenda - you don't want your caches promoted, anywhere.

[...]

There's plenty of Geocaching sites that have small crowds. Geocaching.com is not one of them, and I'm pretty darn sure Jeremy isn't going to put the genie back in the bottle and cancel the memberships of everyone but charter members. This is how he pays his mortgage and puts food on the table.

It's too bad a few bad apples (who are likely not even on Facebook) are ruining your geocaching experience. Around here, we have Geocaching associations who exist entirely on Facebook as a group. They plan monthly geocaching gatherings and host events. They fix up broken caches and have been rallied in the past to drive a geovandal out of town --- who wasn't using Facebook but left when confronted with several hundred angry cachers.

There are people who use Facebook intelligently, just as there are geovandals and "idiots" who have accounts on Geocaching.com.

No, I don't want to have them promoted on foreign sites, you're right! And we (the majority of our community!) over here even refuse to talk to journalists willing to write articles regarding geocaching as these articles usually want to show quite weird stuff and not the real thing.

And guess what: We do have our own forum, too ;-) And it's not on Facebook and I don't know ANYONE doing that on Facebook at all. At least not here in Germany. Here it's more the school kiddies using it and not older people. Most people here think about Facebook as being a community for youngsters showing how they did party all the time.

And more thing: You've forgot that I already pay for using geocaching.com. And as a paying member I would expect that it at least does count a little bit what these paying member want. But up to now not even Nate said anything regarding our complaints. And it's not just me complaining but others, too.

Over here some discussion already started on what to allow Facebook to do and what not. Just guess why they finally came up with slightly easier ways to set up privacy. Another bad thing regarding Facebook (not just in my eyes) is that they are not willing to let you go even if you wish. Just try to find "Delete Facebook account" on their site ;-)

So in the end I'm absolutely not willing to get involved with Facebook at all...

Bye,

Christian

No, I don't want to have them promoted on foreign sites, you're right! And we (the majority of our community!) over here even refuse to talk to journalists willing to write articles regarding geocaching as these articles usually want to show quite weird stuff and not the real thing.

And guess what: We do have our own forum, too ;-) And it's not on Facebook and I don't know ANYONE doing that on Facebook at all. At least not here in Germany. Here it's more the school kiddies using it and not older people. Most people here think about Facebook as being a community for youngsters showing how they did party all the time.

Welcome to the Internet! Some people have heard strange stories about it being used in other countries, places like "Canada" where 45% of the population are on Facebook. 45% of Canadians are NOT children, and while beer is considered a Canadian thing, 45% of Canadians are not drunks at a party. We have a large portion of the population that uses Facebook, and for purposes other than drunken partying.

And more thing: You've forgot that I already pay for using geocaching.com. And as a paying member I would expect that it at least does count a little bit what these paying member want. But up to now not even Nate said anything regarding our complaints. And it's not just me complaining but others, too.

Paying $30/year for premium membership is hardly considered controlling the equity of the organization. You are a customer, not a shareholder. Besides, GSP is a private company so they can do what they want with your $30. A couple dozen people complaining about a feature that many more than a couple dozen are using and you get the "satisfy these three, or those 200" argument. Guess which one gives GSP more stable revenue at the end. You seem to forget that websites with 5 million visitors have costs.

Over here some discussion already started on what to allow Facebook to do and what not. Just guess why they finally came up with slightly easier ways to set up privacy. Another bad thing regarding Facebook (not just in my eyes) is that they are not willing to let you go even if you wish. Just try to find "Delete Facebook account" on their site ;-)

How to Permanently Delete Your Facebook Account

Oh look it's a link.... on the Facebook site.....

No big deal.

Apparently some people on Geocaching.com believe that half a billion people are idiots as mentioned in the posts above.

I know, but we tend to be a hopelessly optimistic group. We can't help it if we so drastically underestimated the number of idiots in the world. :blink:

I'm puzzled why you, northernpenguin, would be spending so much time and energy defending something that everybody else here seems to either hate, or at best, feel indifferent about. Is it just a penguin thing?

Personally, right or wrong, I have no particular security fears... I just think the whole "Like this" concept is childish.

Mainly, because my thread about using a feature I like got turned into a hate-on for Facebook thread. The original post was about filtering caches based upon use of the "Like" feature and we haven't come even remotely close to discussing that since the first couple posts.

Besides, someone has to take the stance it might be a good thing...

Mainly, because my thread about using a feature I like got turned into a hate-on for Facebook thread. The original post was about filtering caches based upon use of the "Like" feature and we haven't come even remotely close to discussing that since the first couple posts. Besides, someone has to take the stance it might be a good thing...
Has anyone at GC taken the time to LOOK at what's on the cache listing pages? It does NOT say "Click here to add a link to this page on your Facebook page".... it says "Be the first of your friends to like this." and other then the little blue F for Facebook, it says NOTHING about Facebook. It just simply asks you to be the first person to "LIKE" this. There is no explanation of what the button does and even if you're one of the bazillion people on Facebook, chances are 99.9% of the people do NOT know what clicking that button DOES. You have added a button that adds a link to someone's Facebook page withOUT telling people what that button DOES. If not for this thread I wouldn't know what it does and I've been on GC and FB for ages, but then again we engineering/IT manager types must be too out of touch to not realize that without explanation.

It says "Be the first of your friends to like this.".... and you expect your run-of-the-mill cacher/Facebooker to KNOW that it's NOT a rating system?????????? PUH-lease. It appears to be a shameless and somewhat devious way to promote GC on people's FB pages without even letting people know that's what they're doing. Facebook sneaks little promotion things onto people pages, sends friend requests without you even knowing it was sent, steals your photos from your personal albums to add to it's web content, does all kinds of devious underhanded things to self-promote. Was kind of hoping GC was above that.

Tich-tich-tich.... :blink:

It says "Be the first of your friends to like this.".... and you expect your run-of-the-mill cacher/Facebooker to KNOW that it's NOT a rating system?????????? PUH-lease.

I think infiniteMPG makes a good point. It's not obvious when looking at a cache page that this is NOT a rating system. The only way you'd know it was NOT a rating system is if you read the forums and happen to read the one specific discussion where OpinioNate posted that it was not a rating system (5 days after the FB icon was implemented).

It says "Be the first of your friends to like this.".... and you expect your run-of-the-mill cacher/Facebooker to KNOW that it's NOT a rating system?????????? PUH-lease.

I think infiniteMPG makes a good point. It's not obvious when looking at a cache page that this is NOT a rating system. The only way you'd know it was NOT a rating system is if you read the forums and happen to read the one specific discussion where OpinioNate posted that it was not a rating system (5 days after the FB icon was implemented).

Yes he makes a good point. But to quote me mentioning the thread was way off topic, and then spend the next two paragraphs bashing Facebook some more .... that's kinda like a wet trout to the face.

I can see how it will be misinterpreted as a "Rating System" so that point I concede.

"Like" used to be "Become a fan" which is one of Facebook's hallmarks. A "What's This?" link right under the button would be useful to explain that sort of thing.

yes, that's also my biggest problem with this button (which i've said before). the large number of posts from people here who have mistaken it as a rating system is proof enough.

No, I don't want to have them promoted on foreign sites, you're right!

in this case you've done the right thing: make your caches premium-only. having a button from spambook on the page or not will not make a difference.

in fact, this may be the first valid and understandable reason for making a cache PMO that i've seen. not that i can understand the reasoning behind it though, but whatever.

I think the whole idea of a rating system other then the logs for the cache is pointless and provides nothing of value. Who cares if 400 people like a lamp post cache is the person using the rating system does not like lamp post caches. There is no context of a like it if you don’t know what kind of caches person who likes it likes. You would have to filter out the people that like caches you don’t like and then see if you want to visit the cache. Or you could just read the description and or logs and decide for yourself.

I think the whole idea of a rating system other then the logs for the cache is pointless and provides nothing of value. Who cares if 400 people like a lamp post cache is the person using the rating system does not like lamp post caches. There is no context of a like it if you don’t know what kind of caches person who likes it likes. You would have to filter out the people that like caches you don’t like and then see if you want to visit the cache. Or you could just read the description and or logs and decide for yourself.

That is covered by a system like GCVOTE.

The "Like" button IS vetted already. You deliberately add friends on Facebook. Chances are, if you're not just collecting "friends" as another number, you know about the caching styles of the people you connect with. If a lamp post/FTF hound "likes" a cache I simply ignore that. If a cacher who is known to like caches I like "Likes" a cache, and I see that on the Facebook news feed, I'll probably pop over and look at it.

I'm one of those cachers who doesn't like to read the logs if possible before heading out. The listing, yes, of course but I hate it when you see the first logs that give away the hide details. It says right there on the listing "Logs may contain SPOILERS". There must be a happy medium between reading spoilers and finding crappy caches. Ontario now has almost 20,000 caches.

Simply reading the cache pages one by one is not an effective use of my time when trying to determine where to go caching next. It would literally take me days to read all the caches and logs in Ontario to decide that "Hey, that one looks interesting". Yes, we should look at the bookmark lists ... but again this is tedious and there aren't really that many cachers maintaining a quality bookmark list for caches. I can't wait until there's a proper rating system. For now, I'll be using the "Like" function to explore caches that might be interesting, by following the links on people's FB page (that I respect) and looking at the listing.

Having said that, I'm going to get out the broken record and repeat myself for the umpteenth time:

The "Like" system is NOT INTENDED to be a rating system so I don't know what your point really is, or how it fits into the context of this thread .... I asked if we could filter on the "Like" caches more for curiosity than anything else.

I've spent most of my time in this thread having to defend the standpoint that some geocachers, including myself, LIKE the button.

I'm one of those cachers who doesn't like to read the logs if possible before heading out. The listing, yes, of course but I hate it when you see the first logs that give away the hide details. It says right there on the listing "Logs may contain SPOILERS". There must be a happy medium between reading spoilers and finding crappy caches. Ontario now has almost 20,000 caches.

Yes. Exactly.

1 - logs can be spoilers,

2 - it takes hours of research (especially when travelling to a new city) to read through 1000s of logs to find the gems.

I'm using GCVote and although there appears to be only 3 of us in the area using it, I agree with the other GCVote users regarding their ratings (maybe a half star difference in some cases). I'm not seeing 4 star ratings on run-of-the-mill LPCs (usually 1's and 2's).

I'm happy with GCVote. It does a good job but it lacks in 2 areas: it's not in-house and not filterable (I'd like a PQ of 3-star to 5-star rated caches.

Hi!

Welcome to the Internet! Some people have heard strange stories about it being used in other countries, places like "Canada" where 45% of the population are on Facebook. 45% of Canadians are NOT children, and while beer is considered a Canadian thing, 45% of Canadians are not drunks at a party. We have a large portion of the population that uses Facebook, and for purposes other than drunken partying.

So you're not willing to understand that countries are different and people from different countries behave different? That's typical american behaviour :-) Just because YOU eventually don't know something does not mean it doesn't exist!

Over here most of the Facebook users are school kids or students. Older people don't use Facebook that often in my country. hard to understand for you? Tough luck... But it is as it is.

Many people here don't like Facebook so they don't use it. As I said: Countries and people are different...

Paying $30/year for premium membership is hardly considered controlling the equity of the organization. You are a customer, not a shareholder. Besides, GSP is a private company so they can do what they want with your $30. A couple dozen people complaining about a feature that many more than a couple dozen are using and you get the "satisfy these three, or those 200" argument. Guess which one gives GSP more stable revenue at the end. You seem to forget that websites with 5 million visitors have costs.

You are quite bad in reading :-(

Where did I say that I feel like being a shareholder? Don't you understand "a little bit"? And please don't tell me that 30 bucks multiplied by a quite nice number of paying member doesn't count. I really would like to get that money and Groundspeak better is performing good enough that a reasonable number of members still want to pay. And that for it's not the worst to have an open ear to your customers. That's all I have said!

Oh, one more: I would have been happy to sponsor LOTS of hardware to Groundspeak if needed and I would also pay more if I get what I want (let's name it premium plus...) but I will better directly talk to the Groundspeak guys in person next time I'm at their office...

How to Permanently Delete Your Facebook Account

Oh look it's a link.... on the Facebook site.....

No big deal.

Oh, nice! THEY had an open ear for THEIR customers in the end... :-) But to finally get this link MANY complaints from MANY people were needed :-)

And the only thing I want is to have some control what kind of links shall be on MY cache pages. Is it really too much I want? I don't think so. But this is something you didn't comment yet. Why?

Bye,

Christian

So you're not willing to understand that countries are different and people from different countries behave different? That's typical american behaviour :-) Just because YOU eventually don't know something does not mean it doesn't exist!

First off, I'm not American. I live in that country that is a little to the north of the USA. Nice racial generalization though. Really helps you make an intelligent statement.

Second, I made the point that Countries are different, so I guess you are agreeing with my point. In Canada Facebook is used differently than Germany. Not sure how you restating that in an angry tone, makes it your point instead of mine.

Where did I say that I feel like being a shareholder? Don't you understand "a little bit"? And please don't tell me that 30 bucks multiplied by a quite nice number of paying member doesn't count. I really would like to get that money and Groundspeak better is performing good enough that a reasonable number of members still want to pay. And that for it's not the worst to have an open ear to your customers. That's all I have said!

Oh, one more: I would have been happy to sponsor LOTS of hardware to Groundspeak if needed and I would also pay more if I get what I want (let's name it premium plus...) but I will better directly talk to the Groundspeak guys in person next time I'm at their office...

Demanding changes because you bought a premium membership is acting like you bought a voting share in the company. You didn't. You bought the right to use the Pocket Query service, and the ability to mark your caches as Premium Member Only. You represent one customer, and you no more have the right to demand something (like a feature removal) from the company than you have demanding Pepsi drop Mountain Dew from their lineup because you won't drink it.

If you want to help Groundspeak offset their hardware, development and bandwidth costs, give them an email. But Jeremy has to accept your help even if you offer it and he has a business to run. You may find he's willing to forgo your kind offer in order to pursue something he feels is better for the company.

And the only thing I want is to have some control what kind of links shall be on MY cache pages. Is it really too much I want? I don't think so. But this is something you didn't comment yet. Why?

Let's see, it's Groundspeak's website, you agreed to the Terms and Conditions when you chose to put your content on their website. They can put whatever they want on their website without asking you permission. Let's see what does that say at the bottom of your cache page:

Copyright © 2000-2010 Groundspeak, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

About Groundspeak | Contact Us | Knowledge Books

I'll reiterate, if you don't like the terms of how your page is listed on SOMEONE ELSE'S SERVER, you are free to remove YOUR CONTENT and put it somewhere else. That's all the "control" you need. Jeremy did not go to your house and steal the content to put on his website. You put it there. You can remove it. You can't remove the "Like" button, just as you cannot remote the "Log your visit" button or the Geocaching.com logo.

Of course removing YOUR CONTENT (the cache page itself) removes any benefits that Geocaching.com are providing for your listing - mainly an easy to locate index of caches for visitors to find.

Agree, very good point.

Perhaps GC will include an explanation in their next weekly mailing.

Hi!

No, I don't want to have them promoted on foreign sites, you're right!

in this case you've done the right thing: make your caches premium-only. having a button from spambook on the page or not will not make a difference.

in fact, this may be the first valid and understandable reason for making a cache PMO that i've seen. not that i can understand the reasoning behind it though, but whatever.

First of all: Thank you very much for reading the important part of my post :-)

You exactly understood what it was for!

Now I again try to explain WHY I don't like to see these links:

Over here most of the people I know using Facebook are school kids or students and most they do is collecting friends without really understanding the concept of Facebook at all. Might be their English isn't good enough, might be they don't care by intention or because they are too you to really understand the consequences. I don't know.

But in the end I simply don't want to have these kiddies watch my caches at all. These are simply to the type of people really being interested in our hobby.

We do have other web sites already dealing with geocaching and if people like to promote caches they do use these sites. And close to no one is interested in attracting way more people to geocaching at all. Many here believe it might be bad if our hobby gets too many people being involved into.

For me it looks like in the US way more people are using Facebook and for you it might be normal using it and eventually slightly crazy (replace with other/better word) not using/loving Facebook, too. It's just as I already said: Different countries, different people, different behaviour...

Again: Thanks for finding the important parts of my messages...

Bye,

Christian

Yes he makes a good point. But to quote me mentioning the thread was way off topic, and then spend the next two paragraphs bashing Facebook some more .... that's kinda like a wet trout to the face.
Maybe the "off topic" topic is the more important one. And I never once knocked FB as I am on there as much, if not more, then I am GC.

I can see how it will be misinterpreted as a "Rating System" so that point I concede. "Like" used to be "Become a fan" which is one of Facebook's hallmarks. A "What's This?" link right under the button would be useful to explain that sort of thing.

Regardless of what it's being misinterpreted as, it's not clearly explained and it's misleading. I doubt the text "Be the first of your friends to like this." came from Facebook, it came from GC web authors. Change that to say "Click here to add a link to this cache on your Facebook page" and you'd have the problem solved.

Just find this element in your code :

<span class="connect_widget_not_connected_text">Be the first of your friends to like this.</span>

and change it to this :

<span class="connect_widget_not_connected_text">Click here to add a link to this cache on your Facebook page.</span>

and you're done. Is that too much to ask????? :ph34r:

Hi!

I've spent most of my time in this thread having to defend the standpoint that some geocachers, including myself, LIKE the button.

Sorry, but you haven't done that! You never have been commenting my request of having the choice to decide if a cache will show this link or not.

You always tried to find something you could pick on ;-)

And you seem to be unwilling to accept that other might NOT like the "like" button at all.

Don't forget: I never ever wanted to take this button away from YOUR caches or the caches from YOUR friends as long as they LIKE to have that "like" button. I just don't understand what's so hard for you to just think about giving ME the choice to decide by myself...

Bye,

Christian

Hi!

Sorry, but you haven't done that! You never have been commenting my request of having the choice to decide if a cache will show this link or not.

You always tried to find something you could pick on ;-)

And you seem to be unwilling to accept that other might NOT like the "like" button at all.

Don't forget: I never ever wanted to take this button away from YOUR caches or the caches from YOUR friends as long as they LIKE to have that "like" button. I just don't understand what's so hard for you to just think about giving ME the choice to decide by myself...

Bye,

Christian

I don't really have a problem with Groundspeak making that optional. Really, I don't.

I have a problem with the attitude of "Facebook is evil! Remove this feature immediately!". If I've misunderstood you on that basis, here's an apology.

I did start the thread asking about how we could utilize the "Like" feature though and we have not discussed that here. We've repeated the same story that was in the "Release Notes" thread, and the "My school blocks facebook" thread. I should have been able to post a thread here about the positive aspects of the feature without getting railroaded into the current debate about whether or not the feature should even exist.

I'm pretty sure it was implemented as the "Like" button, due to Facebook's TOS for linking to their site, but Groundspeak are the only ones that can answer that as I haven't looked into those.

I'm pretty sure it was implemented as the "Like" button, due to Facebook's TOS for linking to their site, but Groundspeak are the only ones that can answer that as I haven't looked into those.
Read my post above, maybe reply to why GC doesn't just change the text THEY put with the button and fix the whole misunderstanding. Might be a lot of positives from IT if people know what IT does when they click IT, and knowing it's NOT a rating system would clear up a bunch of stuff, too.

It's looks like a rating system, quacks like a rating system, so doesn't matter WHAT it does behind the scenes, people will look at it as a rating system.... until the text is changed. And the change should take a crew of as many as one web authors as many as one minutes to change it.

Edited by infiniteMPG
Read my post above, maybe reply to why GC doesn't just change the text THEY put with the button and fix the whole misunderstanding. Might be a lot of positives from IT if people know what IT does when they click IT, and knowing it's NOT a rating system would clear up a bunch of stuff, too.

It's looks like a rating system, quacks like a rating system, so doesn't matter WHAT it does behind the scenes, people will look at it as a rating system.... until the text is changed.

The "Like This" is a licenced product from Facebook. I am pretty sure they aren't ALLOWED to change that text, or they're using the widget code from here what doesn't let them change it:

http://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like

That code is generated on the Facebook site (like.php) and isn't actually under Groundspeak's control at all. They can change the text to "recommend" instead of "like". To explain it more, they'll need to add a "What's this?" line under the "Like This" button.

Also explains a bit why they haven't made it optional --- it looks like it's a fair amount more work to do that (hours of coding) but shouldn't be impossible to achieve.