"Like" Button for Cache Pages

northernpenguin

13764: Quick "like it" for geocaches

Added Facebook "Like" functionality to cache pages

I'm wondering if we'll have search tools for the "Like"d caches. This sounds like a GREAT new feature for separating the good caches from the mediocre caches. Not perfect but still quite useful.

I'm hoping we'll see search tools on the site (show most liked caches that I haven't found that are closest to home). I'm sure that's already in the works.

My question is --- will this information be exposed in the Pocket Query GPX files? I'd love to be able to use GSAK filters with the # of times "Liked" to get the quality caches to bubble to the top of my search for where to cache.

Of course if this is in the GPX files, I'd love to know how it's being implemented so it doesn't break applications.

Of course if this is in the GPX files, I'd love to know how it's being implemented so it doesn't break applications.

By definition, extentions to an xml (in this case .gpx) file won't break anything.

If something breaks, then its not reading the file as an xml file, but rather as a fixed format file, which flies in the face of what xml is all about.

Any extension that breaks an app simply shows an app that was broken to start with.

Well, I just "liked" a cache, downloaded the GPX for it and pulled it into notepad. Not seeing any indication of a "like" count in there at the moment, nor do I see it in the search options.

It also doesn't appear to be a "Like" similar to Facebook ... it appears to be the Like FROM Facebook. Links to my FB profile page.

I would prefer that Groundspeak, which has never given me a reason to worry about my information, not associate with Facebook which has been known to play fast and loose with their privacy policy.

Put me down as another cacher who does not want to use Facebook because of their privacy policy.

Please Groundspeak, implement a "like" feature that's in-house and filterable. And please don't make it filterable by outside software only (gsak, cacheberry, greasemonkey script, etc)

Edited by Lone R
It also doesn't appear to be a "Like" similar to Facebook ... it appears to be the Like FROM Facebook. Links to my FB profile page.

and that's what it is. useless to those of us who don't use facebook.

It looks like Groundspeak added this to promote Geocaching.com on Facebook, not because it might provide a useful rating system. At least that's why I use it for my site. Every like results in an update on the FB user's wall where all his FB friends can see it too. Helps to bring more exposure and traffic to my site, but as a general rating system, not so much.

Alright, people - CHILL!!! The Like button is just an added feature for that that WANT to use it. No one is forcing you to use it. For those of us that use Facebook, it's an added bonus. If you don't use Facebook, it's not holding you back. All it does it put a link to the cache on your profile. Just a simple little thing, but cool.

I don't sit here and gripe about GS partnering up with AT&T just because they developed an iPhone app. I have a Droid. It's just something that is offered that I won't take advantage of.

I'd like to hear what you all LIKE about the new features.

Alright, people - CHILL!!! The Like button is just an added feature for that that WANT to use it. No one is forcing you to use it. For those of us that use Facebook, it's an added bonus. If you don't use Facebook, it's not holding you back. All it does it put a link to the cache on your profile. Just a simple little thing, but cool.

I don't sit here and gripe about GS partnering up with AT&T just because they developed an iPhone app. I have a Droid. It's just something that is offered that I won't take advantage of.

Anybody able to do a GM script to hide that? Never been a Facebook user and never will be so that's just clutter to me.

Your wish is my command: GC.com Facebook Don't Like

Installing this script will make the Facebook 'Like' buttons disappear from cache pages on your computer only. It requires Firefox and the Greasemonkey add-on or another browser that understands user scripts (like Chrome for example).

Edited by JeremyR

Of which, I am one. Even the phrase, "Be the first of your friends to like this cache" makes me want to vomit.

I will "CHILL" when and if I want to chill, thank you. Resources were used to add this (IMO) idiotic feature... resources that could have been spent addressing more concerns and features that members have asked for. (Yes, many members have asked for some sort of voting system, but I don't think this comes close to what they were asking for). We are here to discuss our opinions... please don't ask us to be quiet.

As soon as I can get it to work, it'll be cool. as long as it will only let each user 'Like" s a Cache once. I think it's already set up that way. That's about as friendly a rating system as one could get. Nothing bad will be said on any Ccahe page, but the good will still show. I can easily look at how many finds compared to how many likes...the only drawback is that many people might "Like" a Cache that have not found it.

Anybody able to do a GM script to hide that? Never been a Facebook user and never will be so that's just clutter to me.

var node_list = document.getElementsByTagName('iframe');

for (i = 0; i < node_list.length; i++) {
if (node_list[i].src.search("facebook") != -1)
	node_list[i].style.display = "none";
}

I think it could be improved it it were not attached to Facebook, also if it didn't attach a user's real name to the Cache page. Many people like to keep the two seperate. Can't GS write their own tool to just keep a count of "Likes" If 500 people "Like" a Cache, will all their names be attached??

If I remamber right, I'll see the names of any facebookfriends I have that have "Liked" a Cache, in addition to "X many others"?

I think a simple count of "XX players like this Cache"

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

As soon as I can get it to work, it'll be cool. as long as it will only let each user 'Like" s a Cache once. I think it's already set up that way. That's about as friendly a rating system as one could get. Nothing bad will be said on any Ccahe page, but the good will still show. I can easily look at how many finds compared to how many likes...the only drawback is that many people might "Like" a Cache that have not found it.

I'm OK with the simplicity of the rating system (it's a start and it isn't negative), just wish it weren't tied to Facebook - which I don't want to be forced to use in order to participate in a rating/reward system. We need an in-house system.

I'm OK with the simplicity of the rating system (it's a start and it isn't negative), just wish it weren't tied to Facebook - which I don't want to be forced to use in order to participate in a rating/reward system. We need an in-house system.

I'm starting to agree. It can't be hard at all to have a simple thumbs up button. I did notice that after I "Like" it, I can click it again to remobe my name. Can you do me a favor, I'm going to go "Like one of your Caches, tell me what you see??

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e7-8306c2185803

OK, I'm also not sure how much I like the link to my facebook page...Haha, doesn't that make any Ccahe commercial? I can just go through every Cache page I can get my hands on and insert a link to my business? Agenda? Hate Group? Close the back door, and make your own liking system. Thanks.

Edit for punctuatuin. And spelling

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Hey, at least it gives something new for the armchair caching crowd to do. Instead of logging virts around the world, they can just sit at their computers and (oooh, I hope I can say it...) "Like" caches that they've never been to before.

Yes, ideally it would be good to create a "Thumbs Up! / Thumbs Down!" system that can only be used after posting a log. On the other hand, there never really has been much of a system to verify that logs aren't fake. I would be surprised if 10% of cache owners were checking physical log books against online logs.

I *like* the concept of a "like" button, and I'm sure the feature will be improved over time. The "like" system is subject to abuse, just as logs are. On the other hand, if enough people participate, the signal to noise ratio should settle down and we'll be able to tell when some people are abusing the feature -- in general.

One person isn't likely to setup 5,000 facebook accounts just to upvote their cache. Armchair 'likers' are going to get bored well before skewing the cache ratings ... in general.

--

I would like to see some form of searching / filtering on the site (or in PQs) for caches based on the number of likes, or in the future the number of up votes vs downvotes. It won't be the be-all end-all cache rating system but it could be a decent starting point when looking for something interesting to visit.

Facebook recently rolled out this interface for third parties to "Like" things that aren't Facebook-related and have it appear on your facebook profile. This is nothing but a FB hook - it's got nothing in common with a ratings system. FB itself only permits "like" - there is no "dislike" button (despite a number of attempts by the user community to sway TPTB.)

I have a Facebook account, and even though a couple of my geocaching pals are friends on FB, I keep my Facebook and Geocaching worlds apart. Up 'til now I have trusted Groundspeak with credit card data, for example. I wouldn't trust Facebook with a wooden nickel. This new feature is making me look askance at Groundspeak.

I'm starting to agree. It can't be hard at all to have a simple thumbs up button. I did notice that after I "Like" it, I can click it again to remobe my name. Can you do me a favor, I'm going to go "Like one of your Caches, tell me what you see??

Had a look - all I see is that '2 people like this. Be the first of your friends.'

So I'm glad not everyone is going to see my name. Do still have to wonder if the owner will see who likes it or not.

I hate the like button:

1) I don't have a facebook account and i don't want one.

2) You can probably like caches you did not even found. Haven't checked that since 1)

If the pages where build using a language like php or perl with a mysql database I could have implemented this feature in a few hours. I don't speak .aspx I assume it will not be that different.

The simplicity of the rating system is what I like. My advide would be to implement the Dutch Geo d'Or system http://www.geocaching.nl/cacherating/

Tc

Oh I also hate these facebook buttons. ....social networking everywhere? Not with me! So I discovered a smooth workaround.

And here we go:

1) Install Firefox (if you do not use it right now)

2) Install the AdBlock Plus Plugin

3) Create the following filter rules:

||fbcdn.net^$domain=~facebook.com

||fbcdn.com^$domain=~facebook.com

||facebook.net^$domain=~facebook.com

||facebook.com^$third-party

Copy the rules as they are shown. The "||" at the beginning is essential!

After activating AdBlock Plus with these rules .... facebook is HISTORY.

So, have fun.

Best regards,

Chris

Of which, I am one. Even the phrase, "Be the first of your friends to like this cache" makes me want to vomit.

+1

One person isn't likely to setup 5,000 facebook accounts just to upvote their cache.

No, but one person that felt like messing with the system could spend a few nights "liking" every cache they've found, thus making the system totally useless.

I fail to see how this makes the system useless. So every cache they've ever found will say "1 person likes this cache". Big deal .... the good caches will say "231 people like this cache" and without setting up a bunch of extra facebook accounts you're not going to have much luck gaming that system.

Had a look - all I see is that '2 people like this. Be the first of your friends.'

So I'm glad not everyone is going to see my name. Do still have to wonder if the owner will see who likes it or not.

Yes, that's what I see too. No names (on the gc page, I didn't go into Facebook).

Hi!

I feel like being "raped" by this new feature. I don't want to have this on MY cache pages at all! I don't care about other caches but I definitely would like to have an option that allows me to enable/disable this feature for caches that I own.

I am thinking about archiving all my caches on geocaching.com if this will not be changed as fast as possible!

Bye,

Christian

It's not only useless, I consider it as quite annoying. What makes things worse is that the text

on my cache pages and all cache pages I view when being in Austria are in German. I do not want to

see texts like "Gefällt mir" on my cache pages intermingled with the English part.

I did not ask Groundspeak to add some German text to my cache pages. It fits well into the pattern of more and more annoying localization I have not asked for. Clearly, I could use a GM script, but that's very unhandy when using gc.com on several different computers.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne
I fail to see how this makes the system useless. So every cache they've ever found will say "1 person likes this cache". Big deal .... the good caches will say "231 people like this cache" ...

no they won't. caches with many online visitors will have many "likes", and caches with fewer online visitors will have fewer "likes". it doesn't say anything about the quality of the caches, of the listings or anything else. if anything, it will tell you how easy a cache is, but even that deduction is highly unreliable.

I fail to see how this makes the system useless. So every cache they've ever found will say "1 person likes this cache". Big deal .... the good caches will say "231 people like this cache" ...

no they won't. caches with many online visitors will have many "likes", and caches with fewer online visitors will have fewer "likes". it doesn't say anything about the quality of the caches, of the listings or anything else. if anything, it will tell you how easy a cache is, but even that deduction is highly unreliable.

As with any social network, the signal to noise ratio will be totally dependent on the quality/quantity of the people participating. If the Toronto/Waterloo area's 1000 or so Geocachers all jumped in with honest ratings, the 10 troublemakers will be drowned out. Think Twitter. Think about the local caching organizations.

There is no guarantee, but the crap caches are unlikely to get 300 people to 'like it' unless you can get together 300 troublemakers. The good caches aren't necessarily going to be 'liked' but on average they will score better.

We've been caching for 10 years as a community and we don't have a guarantee on anything - think cache difficulty/terrain ratings. Hell look at the 81 Proof discussion in the Canada forum for a good example of how perilous looking for a guarantee on something like that can be --- but in the same thread notice how *on average* people have a good representation of a typical D/T. The like feature will settle down and I'll be referring to it.

Your wish is my command: GC.com Facebook Don't Like

Installing this script will make the Facebook 'Like' buttons disappear from cache pages on your computer only. It requires Firefox and the Greasemonkey add-on or another browser that understands user scripts (like Chrome for example).

Thanks!

I like it, another way to highlight geocaching on FB. I'd probably have made it less in your face on each cache page as no everyone likes FB.

But then the same people who are moaning about privacy would complain that Teh Evul Groundspeak was being sneaky.

Many sites which I use have half a dozen buttons so that I can do something called Digg or Reddit or Bebo or something else which I don't care about with a single click. I just don't click on those buttons. And I don't care that their site might "know" that IP address w.x.y.z visited Geocaching.com. Somehow I don't see them selling that to Homeland Security.

If you don't Like my cache, I won't tag you in this photo. I actually heard someone tell their probably 9 month old, "If you don't smile, I won't tag you in this picture." I wanted to puke. I had to forgive her because the woman she was with was quite taggable(and not necessarily on Facebook).

Every time I think about opening a Facebook account, something changes my mind. My wife is totally addicted to it. I just have this fear that I'll post some comment on someone's open wall, and it will be viewable by anyone and will come back to haunt me. "We would hire you, but you Like strange geocaches and we found this comment about someone's mother and a goat."

As with any social network, the signal to noise ratio will be totally dependent on the quality/quantity of the people participating. If the Toronto/Waterloo area's 1000 or so Geocachers all jumped in with honest ratings, the 10 troublemakers will be drowned out. Think Twitter. Think about the local caching organizations.

it still won't give you a meaningful value. for that to work, everybody would have to go over all caches and decide whether they "like" it or not. ain't gonna happen, so the only way to get a meaningful value would be to take the ratio "number of likes / number of visitors" (roughly). since you don't have the second value, you have no meaningful rating.

the problem isn't that the signal/noise ratio is bad because of troublemakers. the problem is that there's only one signal (number of "likes") and nothing to compare it to (i.e. number of "don't likes" or something like that). the number of "likes" from another cache listing just doesn't qualify.

think about how many visitors an LPC gets, vs. how many visitors a quality cache which requires some amount of effort gets (be it a long hike, multi, puzzle, etc). think about how many visitors of the LPC will "like" it just because they can and got a smiley from it, vs. how many people even can potentially "like" a cache which only gets a handful of visitors per year.