The Gatineau Park debacle.

Perhaps I could, but you're the one who came in here screaming that the reviewer is a LIAR, and ROUGE, and INCOMPETENT.

Seriously, if this keeps up, we're gonna have to take away all the reviewers' makeup.

*** This was a joke. I have no idea what kind of makeup cacheblex uses.

WOW, now I'm even gladder that I didn't use quotes on those words, or I would be a liar, since the OP never said anything about rouge. Haha, You Funny.

Here is something you must keep in mind. Groundspeak as a company, depends on volunteers (i.e., the Reviewers) to perform a necessary function for its business. As with any organization that depends on volunteers, Groundspeak will necessarily back its volunteers and will rarely, if ever, publicly denounce or criticize any of its volunteers. This does not mean that Groundspeak won't seriously investigate problems or concerns with certain volunteers and take appropriate action. However, I would not expect any public statement on any investigation of or action to any volunteer.

Edited by Corfman Clan

I like to respond directly to an OP without first reading everyone elses opinions.

and if it's someone who annoys you, you skim the post and look for something to flame.

Not really, I do the same thing on all kinds of topics, responding directly to the OP rather than reading a bunch of other opinions first. Anyway, you don't annoy me in the least, it's only the way you say things that annoys me, and the way you appear to misunderstand the things I write. Anyway, I have no special desire to get another suspension over whether you and I speak the same language, so I'll ignore you if you ignore me. 1, 2, 3, ingore.

Wow. I think TAR listed the wrong person who woke up with a mad on.

Narcissa: Breathe deeply. Relax. Another deep breath. That's good.

Now, stop yelling at people who point out obvious errors to you. That is never a good style of argument or discussion. Calm down.

We know that you must be right, because you say so, and you yell at anyone who disagrees with you. The problem with a closed mind is that nothing come in or goes out.

Breathe deeply. Another deep breath. Good.

Remember, it is never a good idea to call your reviewer a 'liar' and to do so repeatedly. Nor is 'incompetence' nor 'rogue'.

With your attitude problem, it would probably be best to remove yourself from this problem, and let others handle it. You seem not to have the temperment needed.

Breathe deeply again. Calm down.

Understandably, it came as a shock when the Quebec reviewer cacheblex sent out the following letter to the owners of nearly 300 geocaches in (and near) Gatineau Park:

You are receiving this message because one of your caches is located within the territory of Gatineau Park.

The National Capital Commission (NCC) wishes to control Geocaching in the Gatineau Park. Therefore, it is currently setting a procedure for caches within its territory, and is asking geocachers to archive all caches in the park. They are requesting the cooperation of concerned geocachers to pick up all the containers.

We are asking for your cooperation in collecting your cache and in archiving the listing. Note that on June 20, 2010, all remaining caches within the territory of the park will be archived.

All new requests for publication at this location will be denied until permission of the NCC and the new procedure are received. We apologize for this inconvenience, which is beyond our control, and solicit the patience and cooperation of all geocachers.

Thank you

The Quebec Reviewers

I have looked at Parc de la Gatineau. Impressive. Man, would I like to cache there. So anyways, what I'm quoting, the email sent out to CO's (and not posted to cache pages, by the way, I see nothing on any of them). This is "signed" The Quebec Reviewers. This reviewer is a Junior reviewer, appointed in 2009. They could have been around since 2001 and found 10,000 caches as a player, but they're a Junior reviewer. No way in heck is this guy/girl going to take it upon themselves to send this letter out. Perhaps they were chosen strictly for their English skills? A whole bunch of the caches seem to be placed by Anglophones.

I think it's going to come out that this was a joint decision by "The Quebec Reviewers", and they discussed this amongst themselves, perhaps with the final say by the senior reviewer for Quebec, whoever that might be. Then again, it wasn't all that long ago there were only 4 or 5 reviewers covering the whole Country. :(

Now, stop yelling at people who point out obvious errors to you. That is never a good style of argument or discussion. Calm down.

We know that you must be right, because you say so, and you yell at anyone who disagrees with you. The problem with a closed mind is that nothing come in or goes out.

Remember, it is never a good idea to call your reviewer a 'liar' and to do so repeatedly. Nor is 'incompetence' nor 'rogue'.

With your attitude problem, it would probably be best to remove yourself from this problem, and let others handle it. You seem not to have the temperment needed.

Whoa, read it again. The only person I came close to "yelling at" was the guy who was going on about Jerry Springer.

I've actually found other people's insights quite helpful, and I've conceded that what looks like a lie to me might be clumsy wording by someone who speaks English as a second language. If clarifying why I arrived at my point of view is "yelling at anyone who disagrees," I'd hate to see what you think of a real argument. Sheesh.

Whoa, read it again. The only person I came close to "yelling at" was the guy who was going on about Jerry Springer.

I've actually found other people's insights quite helpful, and I've conceded that what looks like a lie to me might be clumsy wording by someone who speaks English as a second language. If clarifying why I arrived at my point of view is "yelling at anyone who disagrees," I'd hate to see what you think of a real argument. Sheesh.

See Narcissa, you're doing it again. A lot of the time it isn't worth making a comment. Yes, I probably shouldn't have made this comment either... :(

I have looked at Parc de la Gatineau. Impressive. Man, would I like to cache there. So anyways, what I'm quoting, the email sent out to CO's (and not posted to cache pages, by the way, I see nothing on any of them). This is "signed" The Quebec Reviewers. This reviewer is a Junior reviewer, appointed in 2009. They could have been around since 2001 and found 10,000 caches as a player, but they're a Junior reviewer. No way in heck is this guy/girl going to take it upon themselves to send this letter out. Perhaps they were chosen strictly for their English skills? A whole bunch of the caches seem to be placed by Anglophones.

I think it's going to come out that this was a joint decision by "The Quebec Reviewers", and they discussed this amongst themselves, perhaps with the final say by the senior reviewer for Quebec, whoever that might be. Then again, it wasn't all that long ago there were only 4 or 5 reviewers covering the whole Country. :(

It is a pretty wonderful park. :D

You might be right about the reviewers. It's a little funny, because I mostly deal with Ontario reviewers, and they only sign their own name to things like this.

I wonder that maybe this popped up on someone's radar, and got handed off to cacheblex to deal with for whatever reason, and he didn't understand the scope of it before he acted? This is a pretty big deal in Ottawa/Gatineau, and not just for geocachers. Lots of other groups are being affected by the NCC's policies, so there's PLENTY of information going around. It shouldn't have been hard for him to find the policy documents. They're available to the public online, through the NCC's website.

That's the same park that actor Corey Haim was found dead in, as well as a couple of other deaths. Perhaps there are other things going on that you guys are not privy to knowing and perhaps should be proactive about putting limits on the number of caches.

As long as you're not geocaching with Corey Hart or Corey Feldman, I think you should be okay.

Hello narcissa and others who are interested in this issue.

Please, first realize that Groundspeak instructs cache reviewers to always respect the land managers and land owners. This, of course, includes organizations like the National Capital Commission.

Second, know that I have not read every single piece of correspondence about this issue yet. There is a giant pile of messages, many sides, many angles, many perspectives, several languages, a few mistakes, many misunderstandings.

We're working to get to the bottom if this and our aim is to be respectful of the land manager while helping to nurture the growth of geocaching.

narcissa ,

Your thread title, your subtitle and your Post #1 are all very much a full-frontal attack with no room for forgiveness. The aim was to skewer rather than simply start a friendly dialogue.

Is there anything you wish to change now that we are on Page 2? I can, for example, help you edit your thread title and subtitle. I'm all ears right now.

Narcissa,

Breathe deeply. And stop yelling at everyone! It's impossible to have a discussion with anyone who yells at anyone who disagrees with her. Check your blood pressure. Breath deeply. Let someone with a better temperament handle this. You do not seem to be suited to dealing with anyone who disagrees with you.

Miss Jenn, I respectfully submit that this one is a lost cause. There is nothing to be gained here. The vitriol is damaging my computer screen.

Hello narcissa and others who are interested in this issue.

Please, first realize that Groundspeak instructs cache reviewers to always respect the land managers and land owners. This, of course, includes organizations like the National Capital Commission.

Second, know that I have not read every single piece of correspondence about this issue yet. There is a giant pile of messages, many sides, many angles, many perspectives, several languages, a few mistakes, many misunderstandings.

We're working to get to the bottom if this and our aim is to be respectful of the land manager while helping to nurture the growth of geocaching.

narcissa ,

Your thread title, your subtitle and your Post #1 are all very much a full-frontal attack with no room for forgiveness. The aim was to skewer rather than simply start a friendly dialogue.

Is there anything you wish to change now that we are on Page 2? I can, for example, help you edit your thread title and subtitle. I'm all ears right now.

Sure, if you want to change it to just say "The Gatineau Park debacle," I would be amenable to that change.

I'm very glad to hear that Groundspeak is looking into this.

One of the main concerns I have is that the reviewer's actions may have raised the level of antagonism between geocachers and the NCC, without good cause. Everything those of us at the ground level are hearing from the NCC is that they still plan to allow geocaching in the park and never asked for us to remove ALL geocaches. I wonder how many unnecessary angry letters the NCC is getting as a result? That can't be good for geocachers.

If you're all ears and have a say in the matter, might I suggest that Groundspeak henceforth refer the NCC to either Cacheviewer or Cachechisme, and not cacheblex? That would likely go a long way toward restoring the confidence of the geocachers affected by this mess, and restoring Groundspeak's credibility with other entities as well.

Edited by narcissa

quelqu'un veux traduire pour moi SVP

J'écrirai un premier message et le dernier sur ce sujet

un forum est l'endroit ou on partage des rumeurs, des oui dire, des informations erronés et incomplètes qu'ont interprète à notre façon. On peut dire n'importe quoi

Edited by cacheblex

Um, the reviewer said something along the lines of:

Someone translate for me please - I'm writing my first and last message on the subject. A forum is a place where one <something> rumours, incomplete and erroneous information that they can twist(?) to their side. One can say <something>

narcissa said that the letter the reviewer wrote to the cache owners was in English - if he didn't write it, who did?

Something like that.

Anyway, the only side that should matter is the land manager's side. The land manager - the NCC - still says they plan to allow geocaching in the park.

Many cache owners who received the first letter have not received a second, and caches continue to be needlessly archived. It's a very sad situation that could have been avoided if the reviewer had just done his research before acting. :(

Google Translate is very useful.

All hail our masters at Google.

meh, I'm not so sure...google said I asked about his dog?

awww come on ..... Some of Us Have a grasp of barely Français Two and you are posting his dog

Anyway, the only side that should matter is the land manager's side. The land manager - the NCC - still says they plan to allow geocaching in the park.

Many cache owners who received the first letter have not received a second, and caches continue to be needlessly archived. It's a very sad situation that could have been avoided if the reviewer had just done his research before acting. :(

No - your the one that waded into this thicket without a machete.

The reviewer in question has clearly stated that there are facts we are not aware of and too many rumors going on. I am not certain you are fully aware of the land managers full and complete position here.

Don't try and back off the original intent here of throwing aside a reviewer and try to twist your intent.

Google Translate is very useful.

All hail our masters at Google.

meh, I'm not so sure...google said I asked about his dog?

awww come on ..... Some of Us Have a grasp of barely Français Two and you are posting his dog

Yeah, translate-retranslate never works very well. But unidirectional translating is usually alright. :(

The reviewer in question has clearly stated that there are facts we are not aware of and too many rumors going on. I am not certain you are fully aware of the land managers full and complete position here.

Don't try and back off the original intent here of throwing aside a reviewer and try to twist your intent.

The original intent is to get the word out about this issue and see what others have to say. The land manager's position is in a fully public document, complete with maps. In both official languages. As soon as cacheblex was directed to these items, he retracted his decision. The land manager's position is not in question here.

Clearly, something went seriously amiss here. The geocaching community's relationship with the NCC might be damaged as a result of the reviewer's actions, and local geocachers are seriously questioning why someone who lives 500 miles away, doesn't speak English, and can't be bothered to Google "Gatineau Park" was given responsibility for handling this issue.

I fully respect that reviewers are volunteers who give a lot of their time to this game, but they should still be held accountable for things like this.

The original intent is to get the word out about this issue and see what others have to say. The land manager's position is in a fully public document, complete with maps. In both official languages. As soon as cacheblex was directed to these items, he retracted his decision. The land manager's position is not in question here.

Clearly, something went seriously amiss here. The geocaching community's relationship with the NCC might be damaged as a result of the reviewer's actions, and local geocachers are seriously questioning why someone who lives 500 miles away, doesn't speak English, and can't be bothered to Google "Gatineau Park" was given responsibility for handling this issue.

I fully respect that reviewers are volunteers who give a lot of their time to this game, but they should still be held accountable for things like this.

I suggest you let it go. If you cannot let it go then perhaps you might try someplace like craigslist rants and raves section to vent.

You have received some good advice so far from forum posters, Admin and even the person you called a liar.

I think you are intelligent. So I think that you would agree, that when 95% of the people you ask for advice tell you that you are wrong, then you are wrong.

Getting input from people outside of the area is interesting, and helpful. The local forum is pretty anti-reviewer right now, and the people who read my blog tend to be sympathetic to my viewpoint, which is part of the reason why I brought the issue here. The Groundspeak forum is a good way to see more sides, and if I was looking for sycophantic approval I wouldn't have posted here.

I still believe the reviewer made a serious gaffe and should not be handling this matter further, but I do see how some of my other assessments were overly harsh. Some of you were more effective at making this point than others.

I am pleased that the post elicited a response from a Groundspeak lackey AND the reviewer - quite a feat considering the numerous cache owners who have spent the last week looking for answers to no avail. I think the post has been quite successful in this regard.

It's also reassuring to know that my old fans are still reading my every word. :( brslk

un forum est l'endroit ou on partage des rumeurs, des oui dire, des informations erronés et incomplètes qu'ont interprète à notre façon. On peut dire n'importe quoi

From Google Language Tools

someone want to translate for me please

I will write a first message and the last on this subject

forum is the place where we share rumors, hearsay, erroneous and incomplete information interpreter What our way. We can say anything

That's the same park that actor Corey Haim was found dead in, as well as a couple of other deaths. Perhaps there are other things going on that you guys are not privy to knowing and perhaps should be proactive about putting limits on the number of caches.

As long as you're not geocaching with Corey Hart or Corey Feldman, I think you should be okay.

I get it, we're playing "Dead or Canadian"!! Corey Hart is Canadian (and from Quebec, actually). Corey Haim is both, but according to Wikipedia, which I've never known to be wrong about anything, died in LA, not this park. Corey Feldman is neither. :laughing:

Elle vous appelle menteur:

The National Capital Commission (NCC) wishes to control Geocaching in the Gatineau Park. Therefore, it is currently setting a procedure for caches within its territory, and is asking geocachers to archive all caches in the park. They are requesting the cooperation of concerned geocachers to pick up all the containers.

Votre traduction indique que le NCC a demandé leur suppression, ce qui n'est pas le cas. Peut-être une meilleure façon de dire ce qui serait "The National Capital Commission (NCC) wishes to control Geocaching in the Gatineau Park. It is currently setting a procedure for caches within its territory, and as such, I am asking geocachers to archive all caches in the park, regardless of wether they have received permission from the land owners. I am requesting the cooperation of concerned geocachers to pick up all the containers."

Merci à Radio-Canada pour obtenir cette question triés ...

I still believe the reviewer made a serious gaffe and should not be handling this matter further, but I do see how some of my other assessments were overly harsh. Some of you were more effective at making this point than others.

Oh. My. Gawd.

A frequent forum poster actually changed an opinion, based on feedback from the forums!

I think I need to go stock up on groceries and ammunition... this must surely be one of the signs of a coming apocalypse!

[snip]

but they should still be held accountable for things like this.

And what would you advocate for holding them accountable for possibly making a simple mistake on a gaming website?

1) Cover them with honey and tie them to an ant mound? Nah- too Apache-ish

2) Give him a waterboarding? Nah - too CIA-ish

3) Put him in the Iron Maiden? Nah - too Inquisition-ish

4) How about discuss the ramifications of his actions with him and ask him to be more careful next time? I vote for this one! :laughing:

Note: this was posted in fun and not intended to stir up any flames! :)

[snip]

but they should still be held accountable for things like this.

And what would you advocate for holding them accountable for possibly making a simple mistake on a gaming website?

1) Cover them with honey and tie them to an ant mound? Nah- too Apache-ish

2) Give him a waterboarding? Nah - too CIA-ish

3) Put him in the Iron Maiden? Nah - too Inquisition-ish

4) How about discuss the ramifications of his actions with him and ask him to be more careful next time? I vote for this one! :laughing:

Note: this was posted in fun and not intended to stir up any flames! :)

5) Six months of reviewing nothing but parking lot micros by 12-year-olds.

Well, lots of cachers tried #4. At least he reversed the decision to archive everything in the park. I think we'd all prefer to see a reviewer better versed in local issues dealing with this.

If there's anything to be dealt with, that is. The NCC has already outlined the small area where geocaching is to be prohibited. Until there's actually word from them on a further policy, there's not much to be done except get caches out of the protected zone and wait.

I get it, we're playing "Dead or Canadian"!! Corey Hart is Canadian (and from Quebec, actually). Corey Haim is both, but according to Wikipedia, which I've never known to be wrong about anything, died in LA, not this park. Corey Feldman is neither. :)

I was incorrect. Wrong actor, and wrong park in Canada. A previous incident that I somehow associated with was that park, led me to check the limited links with the iPhone which somehow listed a site with that actor's name, but it was loading too slowly to check further. I was actually thinking of Andrew Koenig who was found on the other side of Canada in Stanley park. :laughing:

I guess I am guilty of passing bad information, being rougue and incontinent, but I really don't think that I am a liar. :bad:

I get it, we're playing "Dead or Canadian"!! Corey Hart is Canadian (and from Quebec, actually). Corey Haim is both, but according to Wikipedia, which I've never known to be wrong about anything, died in LA, not this park. Corey Feldman is neither. :)

I was incorrect. Wrong actor, and wrong park in Canada. A previous incident that I somehow associated with was that park, led me to check the limited links with the iPhone which somehow listed a site with that actor's name, but it was loading too slowly to check further. I was actually thinking of Andrew Koenig who was found on the other side of Canada in Stanley park. :laughing:

I guess I am guilty of passing bad information, being rougue and incontinent, but I really don't think that I am a liar. :bad:

i think we will call you liar anyway. it'll just be a lesson to you. :bad:

5) Six months of reviewing nothing but parking lot micros by 12-year-olds.

Well, lots of cachers tried #4. At least he reversed the decision to archive everything in the park. I think we'd all prefer to see a reviewer better versed in local issues dealing with this.

If there's anything to be dealt with, that is. The NCC has already outlined the small area where geocaching is to be prohibited. Until there's actually word from them on a further policy, there's not much to be done except get caches out of the protected zone and wait.

NO! Anything but reviewing nothing but micros! That could be considered cruel and ususual punishment! :laughing:

Glad to hear that they are only curtailing caching in a small area of the park. It sounds like they are being very reasonable. :)

I see a parallel in things like this often in the corporate world I work in. Someone new will come along and ask a simple question about something that leads them to discover that we have some process that is not documented fully. The next thing you know we are spending a bunch of time and resources to make sure that if someone is replaced, the new person has a set of fully documented tasks for them so that consistency is maintaned.

This could be something similar going on here. Maybe a new person came into the picture and asked how caching is handled in the area. If they didn't have specific policies before, they will now.

I'm sure glad I found many of the caches in Gatineau's newly protected zone while I had the chance. Gatineau Park is a wonderful place.

Would I return to Ottawa for another caching holiday if the park was cleaned out of caches completely (counter to the new policy)? Much less likely.

This reviewer worries me.

i think we will call you liar anyway. it'll just be a lesson to you. :bad:

I'm not prepared to use the "L" word, but I will say this: Pants on fire!

It actually did occur to me before you came back and posted that you might be thinking about the untimely demise of Boner AKA Chekov Jr. in Vancouver during the Olympics.

Here is the latest message for Gatineau Park. Cacheblex says that

according to the "sensitive zones" map supplied by the NCC (see included

link) there are only 31 caches that will have to be archived at the request of the NCC.

Message en français en bas.

Gatineau Park's management has changed its director of Recreational

Services, which has brought a lot of confusion in the dossier for wich

we apologize. After some discussions with the new head of the dossier to

clarify the situation, I am sending you the policy as defined by the

NCC:

"Our plan is to offer a friendly environment toward recreational

activities. Please note that we are currently examining the activity of

geocaching to develop guidelines and regulations."

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/c...arcGatineau.jpg

To easily identify your cache a bookmark

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...18-7b0806fb8e29 file of affected caches will be available. All caches (approximately 50) in the dark gray area (conservation area) will be removed, the container removed and the cache page will have to be archived archived before the end of July 2010. All other caches, without exception, located on the territory of Gatineau Park will be have to be authorized by the park authorities. Details will follow as soon as park officials will eventually establish new guidelines and regulations.

The Quebec Reviewers

cacheblex cacheblex@hotmail.com

La société gestionnaire du parc de la Gatineau a changé de responsable

des loisirs, ce qui a apporté beaucoup de confusion dans le dossier et

nous en sommes désolés. Après quelques discussions avec la nouvelle

responsable du dossier pour éclaircir la situation, je vous fais

parvenir la politique telle que définie par la CCN :

Notre plan est d'offrir des activités récréatives respectueuses du

milieu naturel. Veuillez noter que nous sommes en train d'examiner

l'activité de géocaching afin d'élaborer des directives et règlements ».

Voici la carte fournie par le responsable du parc

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad210/c...arcGatineau.jpg

Afin de facilité d'identifier votre cache un "bookmark"

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...18-7b0806fb8e29 des caches affectées sera disponible. Toutes les caches (approximativement 50) qui se trouvent dans la partie grise foncée (zone de conservation intégrale) devront être retirées, le contenant enlevé et la page de la cache archivée avant la fin juillet 2010. Toutes les autres caches, sans exception, se trouvant sur le territoire du parc de la Gatineau devront être autorisées par les autorités du parc. Les détails suivront dès que les responsables du parc auront fini d'établir les nouvelles directives et règlements.

The NCC already knows about this confusion because of the reporter who thought it was their fault, and the numerous angry letters they've received from confused geocachers.

Since the NCC released their new policies, they've been consistent (at least publicly) in their message that caches will have to be removed from the conservation zone, and other caches in the park will eventually be subject to additional guidelines.

The NCC already knows about this confusion because of the reporter who thought it was their fault, and the numerous angry letters they've received from confused geocachers.

Since the NCC released their new policies, they've been consistent (at least publicly) in their message that caches will have to be removed from the conservation zone, and other caches in the park will eventually be subject to additional guidelines.

Otay, you have pursued identifying the problem at length.

It sounds to me like the right things are now being done by Groundspeak, the involved Reviewers and the land management.

Do you have a better solution?

Rehashing history and seeking punishments probably isn't one. :rolleyes:

Add the following text to the reviewer guidelines/bible/whatever they use:

Do not archive caches or instruct cachers to do so on behalf of a land manager or land management agency without reviewing written messages or guidelines from that manager or agency first.

Otay, you have pursued identifying the problem at length.

It sounds to me like the right things are now being done by Groundspeak, the involved Reviewers and the land management.

Rehashing history and seeking punishments probably isn't one. :rolleyes:

The right things are being done by the local geocaching community. It was local geocachers - not reviewers - who looked at the maps and identified the caches that needed to be removed. The maps and geocaches were forwarded to the reviewer.

Not sure where this "punishment" nonsense is coming from. If cacheblex is unable or unwilling to take the appropriate level of care with this issue, he shouldn't be handling it. That's not punishment. I don't know what kind of "punishment" there could possibly be. Removing him as a reviewer? I certainly haven't called for that.

Anyway, if the NCC sees this thread, they'll be seeing nothing new. They've been hearing about cacheblex's gaffe since the day he sent out the first mass archival notice.