Release Notes 6/2/10

OpinioNate

The "View past Trackables" link on a cache page has been neutered. It doesn't seem to work anymore.

Well, it only doesn't work on a page for a cache that currently has no trackables in it.

Which is still a bug. I want that list, and I want it to show who dropped or removed a trackable into/from the cache in the past. Not where it is now or whatever.

With Adblock Plus, you can kill the Facebook Iframe using:

[NOP]http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details*[/NOP]

I haven't found the Adblock line to block the L&F banner yet. I can block the picture on it, but the black banner and text remain, most likely because they are not a separate iframe. I wish I could.

or rather, I wish I should not have to try and remove it, as a premium user i should not see such banners.

[NOP]http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details*[/NOP]

I haven't found the Adblock line to block the L&F banner yet. I can block the picture on it, but the black banner and text remain, most likely because they are not a separate iframe. I wish I could.

or rather, I wish I should not have to try and remove it, as a premium user i should not see such banners.

someone posted it in another thread, i wanted to look for it to give them the credit but i can't remember what thread was in

this is the line you need to put in addblock

geocaching.com#div(class^=LFNominateBanner)

someone posted it in another thread, i wanted to look for it to give them the credit but i can't remember what thread was in

this is the line you need to put in addblock

geocaching.com#div(class^=LFNominateBanner)

merci

Today's release represents a significant update to Geocaching.com.

<snip many, many other updates>

• Removed find and hide count from friends list

Quick update:

A moment ago we too the site down for a few changes. We're bringing back the find/hide count on the Friend's List page since so many of you are missing it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned my poor choice of words when I said it "never" worked right. They are correct, it was only some counts that were off. From a strictly business standpoint it is a bad idea to have broken features available on the site, even if they occur infrequently. Since we didn't have time to fix it we simply removed it, but in this case perhaps the missing feature did more harm than having a semi-broken feature visible on the site. So the hide/find count is back on the Friend's List.

In a thread about the broken hide and find counts:

The solution was to remove the hides and finds from the friends page, but most people decided they would rather it be wrong sometimes, than not to be there at all. We know it's broken and will get to it when we have the time.

Then, as if they learned nothing from the previous debacle:

Bug Fixes

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

It boggles my mind that the development team would rather remove a popular feature than to make it work correctly. As I've pointed out elsewhere, the find counts are correct in the stats bars and on the profile pages. Why not just copy/paste some code from one of those, and make everyone happy again.

Wow! Awesome research and an eloquent point made!!

I don't care about blocking the banner from MY view as much as I want to block it from the view of others that are viewing my caches.

What gets me about this whole friends count thing is they have these banners that DO work they were around long before the friends count, SO WHY DON'T THEY JUST USE THE SAME METHOD TO OBTAIN THE COUNTS??

Worst case, why don't they just put the banner in the friends stat window as a temp fix?

I don't care about blocking the banner from MY view as much as I want to block it from the view of others that are viewing my caches.

I know I am not happy about it either, but at lest this gets it off my screen (so I don't accidentally click it and link a cache with my fb account)

Don't know whether this bug has been mentioned already:

On Cache pages of caches with no current TB the TB history cannot bee seen any more ("View past Trackables" is not a link any more)

With caches that do have trackables, this link is fine....

FamWa

Has it been mentioned that cache pages no longer contain a zoomable map or the ability to click to an interactive map?

There's a separate thread about it, and IMO it's unclear if they are planning to bring it back how it was or not. The map is now clickable to the full google map, but you still can't zoom/pan/etc.

At the same time, I noticed that log deletion page now gives me choices of "[Yes]" and "[No]" - are the square brackets necessary? Makes it look cluttered.

Ditto the [Reset] button on the cache editing page. It looks to me like something was being prepared for translation. :blink:

Has it been mentioned that cache pages no longer contain a zoomable map or the ability to click to an interactive map?

There's a separate thread about it, and IMO it's unclear if they are planning to bring it back how it was or not. The map is now clickable to the full google map, but you still can't zoom/pan/etc.

If you click on the "geocaching.com Google Map" link just to the left of the map, you get a full google map that you can zoom/pan/etc.

I know it has already been said a couple of times but I think it doesn't hurt to repeat it once more: Please bring back the found caches count on the friends list.

Removing this was obviously a very bad idea. Instead of being able to view the number of all found caches by all my friends at one glance I now do have to do a couple of clicks for each and every friend. So I lose time while you lose resources. Kind of a lose-lose-situation here...

The left-hand nav looks really bad on my work computer (Firefox on XP). Looks like a bad font choice. On my home computer (Firefox on Win7) it's fine. Thanks.

04-06-2010%2010-50-13.png

By the looks of it, you don't have font smoothing tuned on in XP.

Display Properties > Appearance Tab > Effects ~ Make sure the check box for font smoothing is ticked.

Well, that's true, I don't. I find antialiased text unusable in XP: it's really smudgy. (I don't have the same problem with Vista and Win7).

I still regard this as a bug. Other websites don't have the same problems. Even the rest of gc.com doesn't have the same problems: as far as I've found, it's only this left nav.

If the FaceBook "Like" button is not removed or at least made an Opt-In choice I will first remove my cache listings and next time I will NOT renew my Premium Membership,

Why? FaceBook has demonstrated that it does not respect anyone's privacy, and with the constant changes in it's privacy policy has shown a definite disregard for the user's feelings. I have canceled my FB account, and don't trust anything FB says about changing. I don't want to encourage anyone else to use FB either.

So if the "Like" button isn't removed by tomorrow I will disable all my caches (with the one exception of a "Learn to cache event" in a couple weeks. After that No More caches.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I have just noticed an issue with the logs on one of my TB's.

On the main TB page it says that I grabbed the TB from the cache I actually placed it in rather than from the cache that the last cacher placed it in...

bbac150b-acb8-4715-9c27-64cd5f897726.jpg

... where as on the map page, the logs are correct.

5c240b12-38d5-435f-bcb4-080ca622ac89.jpg

This does not appear to be affecting the movement of my bug in particular, but it could have an influence on bugs that have travelled much further and been grabbed several times during its travels.

If the FaceBook "Like" button is not removed or at least made an Opt-In choice I will first remove my cache listings and next time I will NOT renew my Premium Membership,

Why? FaceBook has demonstrated that it does not respect anyone's privacy, and with the constant changes in it's privacy policy has shown a definite disregard for the user's feelings. I have canceled my FB account, and don't trust anything FB says about changing. I don't want to encourage anyone else to use FB either.

So if the "Like" button isn't removed by tomorrow I will disable all my caches (with the one exception of a "Learn to cache event" in a couple weeks. After that No More caches.

This may be the only way to get the attention of GS management. I'm going to wait until the end of this week then disabled our cache hides if an opt out option hasn't been implemented.

I don't really like the "Like" button either. Inf act, I've used various mean to hide it.

However, can someone explain to me like I'm a 5th grader how someone "liking" my cache affects my privacy, especially since I don't have a facebook account and very little private info on gc.com?

This may be the only way to get the attention of GS management. I'm going to wait until the end of this week then disabled our cache hides if an opt out option hasn't been implemented.

I don't understand that attitude. Like you really think the frog cares if you disable your cache? Now if you really want to hit the frog where it hurts, just archive your caches, now that will hurt them. Do you need a copy of the geocide application form?

You think GS is even gonna bat an eyelash at that? Seriously?

All you're going to do with that is reduce the people finding your caches. You want to get Groundspeak's attention, you fire off a nastygram carefully worded email to contact@geocaching.com.

Although I'm kinda stumped here, because I looked at your profile and see 603 finds, and 0 hides.... so what's the threat?

I don't really like the "Like" button either. Inf act, I've used various mean to hide it.

However, can someone explain to me like I'm a 5th grader how someone "liking" my cache affects my privacy, especially since I don't have a facebook account and very little private info on gc.com?

I agree with this sentiment.

I'd also like to point out that:

1. Archiving / disabling your caches hurt your local cachers way more than it hurts Groundspeak.

2. I don't feel the need to protect the privacy of the other geocachers in this manner, or conduct a one person crusade against Facebook. That would be, like... this.

All you're going to do with that is reduce the people finding your caches. You want to get Groundspeak's attention, you fire off a nastygram carefully worded email to contact@geocaching.com.

Although I'm kinda stumped here, because I looked at your profile and see 603 finds, and 0 hides.... so what's the threat?

Our team account is J.A.R.S.

Ok, so you're threatening to disable/archive 37 of 1,093,269 caches. I can see GS shaking already. Today's publish queue in Ontario is probably twice that, so I don't think GS will even notice it. It's far less than 0.001% of active caches in the world.

You do have some of the nicer letterbox caches that I've been to as I recall, so you'll be punishing area Geocachers by increasing the LPC to Quality Cache ratio in favour of the LPCs. Because they added a link to your cache page.

That's really too bad.

P.S. It's the principle of the thing. It's forced upon us when it could easily be an option. I'm all in favour of cachers who like Facebook to have this 'like' option. But give those of us that don't want a connection to FB the ability to log out. At least give the PMs that option.

I'm miffed that for 6 years we've been asking for a rating/reward system and this is what they come up with - something I can't use because I don't want to use facebook. I'm also unhappy with Groundspeak's silence on the topic. I feel a definite lack of respect from Groundspeak management to its clientele.

I really don't care so much that there's a link between Facebook and Groundspeak. I probably would leave the Facebook link on our cache pages but now I'm so displeased with how GS has handled this (the silent treatment, not letting us know if this is their answer to a rating system) I am definitely considering disabling our caches, and maybe archiving if there's continued silence. We have 2 premium accounts, we could drop one.

Just wanted to say thanks for adding the little red check mark next to the "Log Your Visit"" tab. It was the one thing I mentioned when the survey came out. It's nice now to be able to click on a random cache listing link, pull the page up and automatically see wether or not it is a cache I have already found or not. THANK YOU!

Ok, so you're threatening to disable/archive 37 of 1,093,269 caches. I can see GS shaking already. Today's publish queue in Ontario is probably twice that, so I don't think GS will even notice it. It's far less than 0.001% of active caches in the world.

You do have some of the nicer letterbox caches that I've been to as I recall, so you'll be punishing area Geocachers by increasing the LPC to Quality Cache ratio in favour of the LPCs. Because they added a link to your cache page.

That's really too bad.

It's not so much about punishing, it's about trying to get some attention. What's it going to take to get GS (OpinioNate perhaps) to come onto these boards and be upfront about what the FB link is all about. Is it GS's answer to a rating system, is it a way to pull in new members, will there be an option to opt out and if so how soon will it be implemented?

I'm miffed that for 6 years we've been asking for a rating/reward system and this is what they come up with - something I can't use because I don't want to use facebook. I'm also unhappy with Groundspeak's silence on the topic. I feel a definite lack of respect from Groundspeak management to its clientele.

Well, I hope you don't go committing geocide, as I tend to target your caches when I'm in the area.

Groundspeak is doing what Groundspeak always does with the wall-of-silence. I'll bet there's some kind of method to the madness, like seeing which voices in the community are loudest before taking action - so we all square off in the forums and then they see who's left standing at the end (hint: doesn't look good for the Facebook Like supporters on this one).

Keystone has already come out in another thread saying this isn't necessarily Groundspeak's answer to a rating system, and several people have pointed out it is ineffective for that. But Keystone is a volunteer, not an employee at the Lilypad (as far as I know) so that's not an "official" response per se.

Groundspeak *has* tried a rating system over on Waymarking.com (and badges too), so they may have learned some hard lessons over there (like the fact that 90% of the visitors hit 5/5 for the rating regardless of their experience at the Waymark).

The consensus I've seen so far is Facebook is OK, but only if they switch it to a "Share on Facebook" button and don't use an iframe for the content. There are some people who get riled up at the mention of the word "Facebook" at all, and nobody will make those people happy.

The "View past Trackables" link on a cache page has been neutered. It doesn't seem to work anymore.

Well, it only doesn't work on a page for a cache that currently has no trackables in it.

Which is still a bug. I want that list, and I want it to show who dropped or removed a trackable into/from the cache in the past. Not where it is now or whatever.

Well, it turns out that until this bug is fixed, there's a way around it. To get the trackable history for a cache that currently has no trackables in it, paste this into your address bar:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?wid=(GUID of cache in question)

Well, it turns out that until this bug is fixed, there's a way around it. To get the trackable history for a cache that currently has no trackables in it, paste this into your address bar:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?wid=(GUID of cache in question)

Thanks for the info. Should be an easy workaround using GreaseMonkey until the problem is corrected by Groundspeak.

I am still trying to figure out what the big problem is with the "Like" button. Nothing is forcing you to click it, and even if you do only the people who are your friends on facebook can see it anyway. So if you are not friends with someone on Facebook than it makes absolutely no difference because they can't see it.

I am still trying to figure out what the big problem is with the "Like" button. Nothing is forcing you to click it, and even if you do only the people who are your friends on facebook can see it anyway. So if you are not friends with someone on Facebook than it makes absolutely no difference because they can't see it.

I believe the problem, at least for the most part and certainly for me, is that I don't use, nor have any interest in facebook, so why should I have to have it displayed so prominently on every page. There should be a setting to turn it off so that I don't have to have it. Or, as I have suggested in other posts, at least move it to below the bookmarks.

The secondary issue is for those that use it. If they click on the link to say they "like it", it reveals their true name and details, completely circumventing the anonymity of a nickname/username in GC. This will ultimately mean that no one, or very few, will use the feature and we end up with something prominently displayed, that we can't "turn off" and that has no useful function in the geocaching scheme of things.

I say this to GC... if you want some sort of rating system, why not strike up a deal with GCVote to incorporate that, with their database, directly into the site. At least it is already fairly well established and has a community following.

Edited by MnCo

I believe the problem, at least for the most part and certainly for me, is that I don't use, nor have any interest in facebook, so why should I have to have it displayed so prominently on every page. There should be a setting to turn it off so that I don't have to have it. Or, as I have suggested in other posts, at least move it to below the bookmarks.

The secondary issue is for those that use it. If they click on the link to say they "like it", it reveals their true name and details, completely circumventing the anonymity of a nickname/username in GC. This will ultimately mean that no one, or very few, will use the feature and we end up with something prominently displayed, that we can't "turn off" and that has no useful function in the geocaching scheme of things.

I say this to GC... if you want some sort of rating system, why not strike up a deal with GCVote to incorporate that, with their database, directly into the site. At least it is already fairly well established and has a community following.

greasemonkey or adblock and no facebook link.

As for the second issue, don't click it.

For the third, Nate will have to answer that question.

The secondary issue is for those that use it. If they click on the link to say they "like it", it reveals their true name and details, completely circumventing the anonymity of a nickname/username in GC.

The only time anyone will see your real name is if they are your friend on Facebook. I'm not sure why people keep saying otherwise.

The Facebook Like feature is NOT...I repeat, NOT...an attempt at a rating system. It is merely a quick convenience for people who enjoy Facebook to share a cache that they like with Facebook friends, nothing else.

The only time anyone will see your real name is if they are your friend on Facebook. I'm not sure why people keep saying otherwise.

Ok, then I stand corrected. I don't use facebook and from what I read, I was under the impression that it would add it to some Groundspeak/Geocaching facebook page.

But that said, surely its in an iframe because it will display details of the person who "liked it" ie "Real Name liked this cache" ??

I didn't seem to get an answer... I'll try this again:

Since your upgrade, I can't open a GC.com page without a message window opening up saying,

"This page uses fonts that need to be temporarily installed. This is usually safe. Do you want to allow these fonts to be downloaded?"

Then I need to click yes or no to open the page. ...every single time. Can someone tell me how to remove this annoying message?

I don't know enough about computers to fix this and would appreciate some guidance from you guys who created this situation.

Which browser? It could be a security setting, but they are in different places in different browsers.

Also, are you sure there is not a check box in that window for "Don't ask me again"?

Internet Explorer. No, no check box unfortunately.

Is there still no answer for this flaw? I'm getting really tired of clicking that *&^% ok button everytime I want to view a different GC page.

I'm running XP and IE 8.0.6xxxx, with firefox the pop-up doesn't appear, but the font displayed looks really sad.

Edited by ar_kayaker

I didn't seem to get an answer... I'll try this again:

Since your upgrade, I can't open a GC.com page without a message window opening up saying,

"This page uses fonts that need to be temporarily installed. This is usually safe. Do you want to allow these fonts to be downloaded?"

Then I need to click yes or no to open the page. ...every single time. Can someone tell me how to remove this annoying message?

I don't know enough about computers to fix this and would appreciate some guidance from you guys who created this situation.

Which browser? It could be a security setting, but they are in different places in different browsers.

Also, are you sure there is not a check box in that window for "Don't ask me again"?

Internet Explorer. No, no check box unfortunately.

Is there still no answer for this flaw? I'm getting really tired of clicking that *&^% ok button everytime I want to view a different GC page.

I'm running XP and IE 8.0.6xxxx, with firefox the pop-up doesn't appear, but the font displayed looks really sad.

I'm running IE8 with no problem. The only thing that springs to mind is maybe your security settings are too high. Tools > Internet Options > Security Tab - Click on Custom and scroll about a third of the way down to Downloads. Check that "Font Download" is Enabled.

Ok, then I stand corrected. I don't use facebook and from what I read, I was under the impression that it would add it to some Groundspeak/Geocaching facebook page.

But that said, surely its in an iframe because it will display details of the person who "liked it" ie "Real Name liked this cache" ??

For the umpteenth time, NO. If you are not a friend of the "liker" on Facebook, this is all you will see:

oneup.png

Hi!

The Facebook Like feature is NOT...I repeat, NOT...an attempt at a rating system. It is merely a quick convenience for people who enjoy Facebook to share a cache that they like with Facebook friends, nothing else.

But what about the unconvenience for people who HATE Facebook? I do want to have the choice if MY caches can be liked or not! And I absolutely don't want to have this feature been shown on MY caches at all!

I just looks that no one of you Groundspeak guys care what I want... In the end I changed all my caches into PMO caches to at least make it as hard as possible to Facebook users to acces my caches.

I really would like to have an option to disable this Facebook crap on MY caches!

Bye,

Christian

Today's release represents a significant update to Geocaching.com.

<snip many, many other updates>

• Removed find and hide count from friends list

Quick update:

A moment ago we too the site down for a few changes. We're bringing back the find/hide count on the Friend's List page since so many of you are missing it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned my poor choice of words when I said it "never" worked right. They are correct, it was only some counts that were off. From a strictly business standpoint it is a bad idea to have broken features available on the site, even if they occur infrequently. Since we didn't have time to fix it we simply removed it, but in this case perhaps the missing feature did more harm than having a semi-broken feature visible on the site. So the hide/find count is back on the Friend's List.

In a thread about the broken hide and find counts:

The solution was to remove the hides and finds from the friends page, but most people decided they would rather it be wrong sometimes, than not to be there at all. We know it's broken and will get to it when we have the time.

Then, as if they learned nothing from the previous debacle:

Bug Fixes

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

It boggles my mind that the development team would rather remove a popular feature than to make it work correctly. As I've pointed out elsewhere, the find counts are correct in the stats bars and on the profile pages. Why not just copy/paste some code from one of those, and make everyone happy again.

It boggles my mind that OpinioNate has not yet commented on this or even acknowledge the users in this forum requesting this feature be rolled back or repaired.

It boggles my mind that OpinioNate has not yet commented on this or even acknowledge the users in this forum requesting this feature be rolled back or repaired.

Boggle is fun to say. Boggle boggle boggle.

The hides count has never updated properly, and displaying finds but not hides on that page feels wrong. We could not prioritize fixing the hide count so we removed both until we can. If it's useful to people we'll address it in another release.

Boggle is fun to say. Boggle boggle boggle.

The hides count has never updated properly, and displaying finds but not hides on that page feels wrong. We could not prioritize fixing the hide count so we removed both until we can. If it's useful to people we'll address it in another release.

IF, I say IF, it's useful to people?

Shirley, you jest.

Somehow, I'm not sure how, you apparently missed the massive outpouring of users clamoring for the find count to be restored. You know, it's not always WHAT is done, but HOW things are done that reveals management's priorities in regards to customer service. Instead of getting your feelings hurt by user's reactions to your well-intentioned but perhaps misguided changes, a simple, sincere sounding apology and assurance that the users wishes are being listened to would go a long way to mollifying those who are dissatisfied. How about? "Oops, we goofed. Sorry we didn't realise that was so important. We'll get it back within the week."

ON the other hand,

If it's useful to people we'll address it in another release.

seemingly borders on arrogant and insulting.

That's my perception anyway.

ON the other hand,

If it's useful to people we'll address it in another release.

seemingly borders on arrogant and insulting.

That's my perception anyway.

You mistake my casual manner for callous indifference. I feel like Groundspeak has a fair track record when it comes to listening to geocachers, and this case is no different.