Release Notes 6/2/10

OpinioNate

I'd assume the person who asked for the banner to be there in the first place doesn't think it is a problem. And a change like that has to come from pretty high up. Maybe the negative reaction from here will make whoever that is change his / her mind.

Think so? Remember MY/YOUR? It's still your. I'd say the banner probably stays.

However, I hate it too. I want it to go. And yes, we were promised no banners with a premium membership, right?

I don't like it, either, but we were promised no advertisements (presuming ads by 3rd party companies, I guess). This one is only arguably an ad. It is just as arguably an announcement for, and a link to, another geocaching.com feature. I think the biggest problem is actually the graphics and that it LOOKS like an ad. They probably could have been more subtle and received many fewer complaints.

c6502f75-7cc4-4841-a59a-b6ca54fc360e.jpg

Minus Firefox's header and my toolbars, this is an example of what I see when I first load a cache page. Real classy, eh? Why do these stylistic "improvements" always seem more like steps down in quality?

Once again, there is too much white space. The full page does not appear without scrolling to the right. The new typeface in the Navigation bar is hard to read (this reduced image makes everything look blurry, which it really isn't).

And then of course there is that OBNOXIOUS "Lost and Found" banner which I believe has already come under discussion...

I like how this is cropped to not show that the cache listing has very large picture in the details that's throwing the "full page" off.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...97-38b4956a23a8

-Raine

I cropped it that way to illustrate the "stairstep" of user background/GC format background in the righthand corner. This occurs whenever cache pages contain images which extend off the right side of the screen. Background should be fixed so that user background fills the full background space. This piece of bad programming turned up in a previous "update" and obviously has not yet been repaired.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but let me state clearly what my preferences are:

I like maps. I like to print cache pages and have them in my hands out in the field. I don't like having to carry two or three electronic gadgets and peering at their LCD screens. I know I can click the Google maps link and get the large map with all caches shown. That's not what I want, although I do use that, too. I ESPECIALLY find useful switching the lower map to satellite or hybrid view and zooming in to help me know where to start looking and to confirm I'm in the right place, right side of street, which tree, etc. Please tell me this capability is important and will return.

Also, I concur with the need for the find counts on my Friends listings being returned.

And, I couldn't care less about Facebook—get rid of the Like link.

Thank you for all the work on the site.

++++++ agree on all three counts. Wish we could get some confirmation that these problems will be addressed in the near future.

If we want facebook to be a part of geocaching, we will ask for it.. sigh!

unfortunately, i think people actually did ask for it :)

Got a link? Even if you do, people have asked for a lot of things that I think most of us consider at least a little more important than a Facebook "Like this cache" link, but didn't get. Thanks for the bow ties, Santa, but where is my Red Ryder BB gun?

Just one more little Bug --

on the "Your Trackable Item Inventory" page;

the "Sort By:" Drop Down menu;

the "Last Log (Newest First)" & "Last Log (Oldest First)";

- these 2 choices return the opposite of the intended results.

Anyone else get this ?

An even more annoying way to advertise the L&F stuff would be to have a floating dialog over the navigation pane right next to the logs, the type that stays on the screen as you scroll. Then you would have to look at it with every log not must the first few. It really would be much more annoying and no one has asked for it (note, I am NOT asking for it, just pointing out that since no one has asked for it, it would fit the apparent planning and design objectives really well).

Lots of good stuff. But I have a complaint. On the Your/My profile page the cache type icons sure screw up the flow for the eyes. I think it would be a smoother flow for the eye if the cache type icons were in there own column like the smiley/frowny/etc. Having this way just makes my eyes rattle back and forth.

Do we really need the benchmark icon on the benchmark listing? Like I don't expect to see a micro over there :)

Outside of that big black wart in the middle of the page I like the new layout of the cache listings. The top of the page is not so busy and it is easier to pick out information.

1. When I try to update the cache listing I get 500 - Internal Server Error.

2. Google maps in the listing is now only a picture without possibility to operate the map

3. The Lost & Found banner is annoying

4. The number of founds in the Friends list was the only useful information. After you have removed it you can completly remove the whole Friends section.

Thanks for the splitting TBs to be in Inventory or Collection, respectively.

Kiko

Got a link? Even if you do, people have asked for a lot of things that I think most of us consider at least a little more important than a Facebook "Like this cache" link, but didn't get. Thanks for the bow ties, Santa, but where is my Red Ryder BB gun?

Search the Geocaching Topics forum and the Geocaching.com Web Site forum for "Facebook" as the search term and you will see quite a few threads asking for better integration with the Facebook site. To be fair, I didn't see any posts specifically asking for the "Like" button.

Search the Geocaching Topics forum and the Geocaching.com Web Site forum for "Facebook" as the search term and you will see quite a few threads asking for better integration with the Facebook site. To be fair, I didn't see any posts specifically asking for the "Like" button.

I love how people are raking Groundspeak over the coals for adding a function to share a cache listing on a social networking site - Facebook. It's an iFrame which has the tin hat brigade going nuts about their "privacy". Like the Department of Homeland Security is monitoring nicknames on a treasure hunting site.

Yet, at the same time we have an iFrame/Object for Google Maps on the same page - which loads the Google Content quite happily sharing the IP address of the individual and the location of where they may travel (ie the cache). It has been shown throughout the years that Google is just as scary as Facebook for "Privacy" engaging in practices like reading unrelated cookies in your browser and archiving information longer than Facebook at times. Given the search capabilities that Google has, I would be far, far more concerned that organization would be able to build up an identity profile than Zuckerberg could. As for privacy blunders and evil companies that assume opt-in on information leaking features .... Google Buzz anyone?

Stop demanding that Groundspeak remove the "Like" button. I know a bunch of cachers around here who have immediately embraced the functionality, even though someone might be able to track that I look at the Geocaching website. Like they couldn't figure that out in 4.2 seconds of conversation with me, or by seeing my handle in any of 4000 pieces of tupperware scattered about the woods. It is a useful feature to me and the people demanding it's removal from their caches really need to go back to 1992 and learn how the Internet works.... they're called hyperlinks and you CAN'T stop people from linking to your cache page, even if you have the "Like" button removed. I have linked to cache pages from other forums, from my Twitter account and *gasp* in Groups on the Facebook site for planning outings.

Groundspeak wants to promote the game, and Facebook is one avenue to do so. If helps Jeremy, Raine, Moun10bike, etc have food on the table for their families when the game grows. I say put a "Share on Twitter" button right under the "Like" button.

I cropped it that way to illustrate the "stairstep" of user background/GC format background in the righthand corner. This occurs whenever cache pages contain images which extend off the right side of the screen. Background should be fixed so that user background fills the full background space. This piece of bad programming turned up in a previous "update" and obviously has not yet been repaired.

i don't think i can agree with that. if a page has content (most of the time an image) which is too large for the containing frames, the page can do one of several things:

1) don't pay attention to the content and leave the frames as they would normally be. in this case you either crop the content, or have the content overlap with the surrounding page.

2) stretch the part of the framing which contains the content to accomodate its size, and leave the rest of the framing alone.

3) stretch the whole frame, potentially the whole page, to accomodate the content's size.

right now the page is doing 2), which is why you get the staircase effect. i don't think either 1) or 3) would be better options really.

right now the page is doing 2), which is why you get the staircase effect. i don't think either 1) or 3) would be better options really.

This is a relatively new happening I see've been seeing a lot of recently, due to new trends in DHTML markup methods (that is to say, the move away from using tables and towards div layers and heavy css)

Honestly, The problem isn't -that- it's doing it, the problem is that it's not taken into consideration in the design of the page. In some cases I've seen (speaking of forums and wikis), a section will have a white background, but an element stretches beyond the right edge of the screen, and now either the background no longer flows behind the extended object, or the visual structure/design of the page gets messed up because the stretch wasn't taken into account (even though the rest of the page fits within the bounds of the initial window size and appearance - which is good).

Really, I don't know how best to handle that situation. I don't like it the way it is, but yes, the tradeoff is expanding the entire the page for the sake of an image. In all the forums I frequent, this is a very common problem. There however, if it stretches the page someone can simply reply "Make the image smaller! You're stretching the forum!". Not as simple on GC.com caches. Some forums have an automatic adjustment that puts embedded images inside a scrollable layer. That takes more html analyzing on save and display, and less raw html description though (and lots of potential problems with people not being to lay out a page as they want).

The other option is simply to tell people that images can only be a certain maximum width, then put the description block in a layer that hides the overflow.

I really don't know what the best solution would be here, based on what users have done in the past, what they're used to, and want to do, while improving the interface itself.

Right now, IMO, even though it's not 'pretty', I think the current layout is the best solution. Or at least, without a lot of (honestly) unnecessary visual design programming and tedious coding to just make the 'stairstep' effect look ok on browser windows where the content doesn't fit.

*shrug*

Edited by thebruce0
In all the forums I frequent, this is a very common problem. There however, if it stretches the page someone can simply reply "Make the image smaller! You're stretching the forum!". Not as simple on GC.com caches. Some forums have an automatic adjustment that puts embedded images inside a scrollable layer. That takes more html analyzing on save and display, and less raw html description though (and lots of potential problems with people not being to lay out a page as they want).

The other option is simply to tell people that images can only be a certain maximum width, then put the description block in a layer that hides the overflow.

forums is exactly what i was thinking of too. but there's a third option for a solution: stretch only the one post containing the large image, and leave the rest of the forum and the other posts alone. this is the best solution without editing the contents i've seen so far, and it kinda is what gc.com is doing. it could be solved better, but seriously, it should really be the CO who should fix the cache description, and not gc.com trying to work around broken listings. (then again, the built-in html tidyer follows the opposite philosophy - but there's other reasons for having that in place too.)

stretch only the one post containing the large image, and leave the rest of the forum and the other posts alone. this is the best solution without editing the contents i've seen so far, and it kinda is what gc.com is doing

Aye, and in the case of forums, one post can be modular and visually contained, designed to be more than the window width and still 'look' nice.

On gc.com, the description itself is within the primary 'module' of the site, but it still stretches and breaks the bounds of it. If, perhaps, the description block was simply given a border of some sort, that might be a step in the right direction. Make the description block 'pop' off the page itself so if it stretches it's more natural. *shrug*

hi, the one thing ive noticed that i dont like at all, is the friends list no longer displays the number of caches people have found, it now has location instead so to view how many caches your mate have got u now have to click on them and open up there profile, i used to like just checking my firend list to see who had been caching recently and how many that were now on.

Me too! Miss that already!

hi, the one thing ive noticed that i dont like at all, is the friends list no longer displays the number of caches people have found, it now has location instead so to view how many caches your mate have got u now have to click on them and open up there profile, i used to like just checking my firend list to see who had been caching recently and how many that were now on.

Me too! Miss that already!

At the risk of sounding like a busted record (for those if us who REMEMBER records! :) )...

Ditto

I totally agree. Why was this deleted????????????????

Not shore if it has been removed but on any cache page the second lower/larger map on the cache page does not let you zoom in or out anymore.

That map will be back, I had to switch to static map to get some time to work on javascript issues that had come up. A bigger and better map will be coming soon!

-Raine

Can't you put it back the way it was until you can get it right? I'm done caching until it gets fixed. BTW bigger isn't better.. takes more ink and all we need there is a small area. Big maps are available from the link to the left if they are necessary.

Just a heads up-

I have found that the map still seems to work in Firefox browser. It's a temporary workaround for the failure in Internet Explorer, but it DOES work.

Might want to try downloading Firefox and use it to access cache pages until they fix the IE issues.

This is a relatively new happening I see've been seeing a lot of recently, due to new trends in DHTML markup methods (that is to say, the move away from using tables and towards div layers and heavy css)

Honestly, The problem isn't -that- it's doing it, the problem is that it's not taken into consideration in the design of the page. In some cases I've seen (speaking of forums and wikis), a section will have a white background, but an element stretches beyond the right edge of the screen, and now either the background no longer flows behind the extended object, or the visual structure/design of the page gets messed up because the stretch wasn't taken into account (even though the rest of the page fits within the bounds of the initial window size and appearance - which is good).

Really, I don't know how best to handle that situation. I don't like it the way it is, but yes, the tradeoff is expanding the entire the page for the sake of an image. In all the forums I frequent, this is a very common problem. There however, if it stretches the page someone can simply reply "Make the image smaller! You're stretching the forum!". Not as simple on GC.com caches. Some forums have an automatic adjustment that puts embedded images inside a scrollable layer. That takes more html analyzing on save and display, and less raw html description though (and lots of potential problems with people not being to lay out a page as they want).

I really don't know what the best solution would be here, based on what users have done in the past, what they're used to, and want to do, while improving the interface itself.

Right now, IMO, even though it's not 'pretty', I think the current layout is the best solution. Or at least, without a lot of (honestly) unnecessary visual design programming and tedious coding to just make the 'stairstep' effect look ok on browser windows where the content doesn't fit.

*shrug*

GC automatically resizes avatar images...why not extend that to cache page images? I customarily resize all of my cache page images to no wider than 500-550 pixels (550 stretches the page on my monitor, but not on others I've seen, so I've used it occasionally).

The screen cap I posted above is what my monitor displays. It was resized only to fit it into a forum post. The stairstep effect is a minor annoyance compared to that vast expanse of white nothingness I see on each cache page now, a white nothingness which is followed not long after (depending on cache page length) by an eye-poking, brilliant banner. The transition does not go down gently...more like a handful of ground glass.

GC automatically resizes avatar images...why not extend that to cache page images?

There are a lot of puzzle caches that hide information about a cache, usually coordinates, in the image data (it's called steganography). If the geocaching Web site automatically resized cache page images, this information would be lost for many of of these puzzles.

--Larry

GC automatically resizes avatar images...why not extend that to cache page images?

Bad idea. Remember that huge outcry when Groundspeak had their site's CSS applied to the user area?

There should be another way to prevent this from happening. But if not, I'm willing to accept this as a necessary evil. The overflow on the right margin doesn't bother me as much as the white space around the top.

There are a lot of puzzle caches that hide information about a cache, usually coordinates, in the image data (it's called steganography). If the geocaching Web site automatically resized cache page images, this information would be lost for many of of these puzzles.

Not to mention carefully laid out designs that would be messed up if images were to be resized. What about images not hosted at gc.com? What if images are less than the max width, but side by side? Resizing would need to be calculated and proportionate... just too much detection, too much work, too much coding, more problem causing, and not really practical at all.

You remember the drama when the htmltidy feature was adjusted and it messed up many cache descriptions...

GC is in the rut of having a decade of geocaches with descriptions and appearances that have never changed - the user has always had almost full control over the appearance of descriptions - whether plain text or carefully handcrafted html, whether published 10 years ago or yesterday. Changing anything basically means an all or nothing "everything still works" or "everything is broken". Whatever happens to cache descriptions, at the point - the descriptions and appearances of that specific contained element cannot change.

eta: hah, jinx Chrysalides re CSS change :blink:

Edited by thebruce0

The left-hand nav looks really bad on my work computer (Firefox on XP). Looks like a bad font choice. On my home computer (Firefox on Win7) it's fine. Thanks.

04-06-2010%2010-50-13.png

By the looks of it, you don't have font smoothing tuned on in XP.

Display Properties > Appearance Tab > Effects ~ Make sure the check box for font smoothing is ticked.

I have been trying for 2 days now to edit the listing for one of my "Inactive Caches" which I first drafted before the software change. Whenever I submit a new draft of it now, it is rejected with the error message being "500 - Internal Server Error".

What's up? Will I need to re-enter this cache again and get a new GC code?

--Larry

No, it wouldn't. HTML resizing doesn't change the image data, just the display of it. When you right-click to download an embedded sized image you get the full size.

No, it wouldn't. HTML resizing doesn't change the image data, just the display of it. When you right-click to download an embedded sized image you get the full size.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends entirely on how the resizing is accomplished. How do you know they would use HTML resizing to do the job? There are several other methods in common use, including changing the size of the image itself to save bandwidth.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230
Today's release represents a significant update to Geocaching.com.

<snip many, many other updates>

• Removed find and hide count from friends list

Quick update:

A moment ago we too the site down for a few changes. We're bringing back the find/hide count on the Friend's List page since so many of you are missing it. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned my poor choice of words when I said it "never" worked right. They are correct, it was only some counts that were off. From a strictly business standpoint it is a bad idea to have broken features available on the site, even if they occur infrequently. Since we didn't have time to fix it we simply removed it, but in this case perhaps the missing feature did more harm than having a semi-broken feature visible on the site. So the hide/find count is back on the Friend's List.

In a thread about the broken hide and find counts:

The solution was to remove the hides and finds from the friends page, but most people decided they would rather it be wrong sometimes, than not to be there at all. We know it's broken and will get to it when we have the time.

Then, as if they learned nothing from the previous debacle:

Bug Fixes

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

It boggles my mind that the development team would rather remove a popular feature than to make it work correctly. As I've pointed out elsewhere, the find counts are correct in the stats bars and on the profile pages. Why not just copy/paste some code from one of those, and make everyone happy again.

Hi there,

HELP!

Anyone having problems with the "like it" feature from Facebook?

I am accessing the web from a router that exclude for security reason many of the social networks.

It means that I am not able to see any cache pages!!!!!! Not even my own ones!!!!

Does it mean I have to give up my account and forget about Geocaching !

Hey Groundspeak can you do something to help those you have restricted access

Cheers

a very sad nzkeko

Hi there,

HELP!

Anyone having problems with the "like it" feature from Facebook?

I am accessing the web from a router that exclude for security reason many of the social networks.

It means that I am not able to see any cache pages!!!!!! Not even my own ones!!!!

Does it mean I have to give up my account and forget about Geocaching !

Hey Groundspeak can you do something to help those you have restricted access

Cheers

a very sad nzkeko

Easiest way around this : add "127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com" to your hosts file.

Easiest way around this : add "127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com" to your hosts file.

He most likely goes through a proxy filter, if thats the case, the local hosts file isn't used, its up to the proxy server to do dns lookups, no the local desktop.

I'm using Safari 2.0.4 on an iMac running OS X version 10.4.11. Since the update, a couple of things that used to work fine have stopped working:

First, when I click on Decrypt next to Additional Hints in a cache page, the hint doesn't get decrypted. Instead, the page scrolls to the top and a pound sign gets added to the URL in the address bar. (If I click on Decrypt in an encrypted log, both the logs and the hint get decrypted.)

Second, the Trackables page no longer works; when I click on Track or Search, nothing happens.

Both of these still work in Safari 3.0.4.

In case anyone wonders why I don't just switch to version 3.0.4, here's why: Version 3.0.4 doesn't handle opening links in new tabs as well as 2.0.4: It's supposed to be possible to open a link in a new tab by holding the Command key while clicking on the link, and that works for most links. But it fails for some links on nearest caches pages. If I'm displaying the 20 nearest caches and command-click on any of the links to go to a different page (i.e. Prev., <<, <, a page number, >, >>, or Next), the new page overwrites the current one instead of showing up in a new tab. Those links work correctly in Safari 2.0.4 but not in 3.0.4.

Until now, everything at geocaching.com has worked fine in 2.0.4 but not in 3.0.4. Since the update, some things work only in 2.0.4 and others work only in 3.0.4, so I have to keep switching back and forth between the two browsers.

Edited by Nylimb

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but let me state clearly what my preferences are:

I like maps. I like to print cache pages and have them in my hands out in the field. I don't like having to carry two or three electronic gadgets and peering at their LCD screens. I know I can click the Google maps link and get the large map with all caches shown. That's not what I want, although I do use that, too. I ESPECIALLY find useful switching the lower map to satellite or hybrid view and zooming in to help me know where to start looking and to confirm I'm in the right place, right side of street, which tree, etc. Please tell me this capability is important and will return.

Also, I concur with the need for the find counts on my Friends listings being returned.

And, I couldn't care less about Facebook—get rid of the Like link.

Thank you for all the work on the site.

++++++ agree on all three counts. Wish we could get some confirmation that these problems will be addressed in the near future.

I agree about the maps!!! I went to do some planning for this weekend, and I will find a cache in the area we are going and then click the Google map to plan routes, etc. I can't do that now :blink: . Please fix this soon, this is the easiest way for me to plan trips!!!!

Yeah, me too! Are you going to put this feature back????? :blink:

I don't know if this is new or not? In the geocaching (google) map, caches with names that include ampersand seem to be cut off in safari (v4.0.5 in macos 10.5.8), but OK in opera and firefox. For example, <http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?lat=45.531&lng=-122.688192> includes 3 caches named "BLACK&WHITE", "BLACK&MAROON", "BLACK&ORANGE" but all three show up as "BLACK" in the cache name / GC list. The bubble help shows the name just fine.

c6502f75-7cc4-4841-a59a-b6ca54fc360e.jpg

Minus Firefox's header and my toolbars, this is an example of what I see when I first load a cache page. Real classy, eh? Why do these stylistic "improvements" always seem more like steps down in quality?

Once again, there is too much white space. The full page does not appear without scrolling to the right. The new typeface in the Navigation bar is hard to read (this reduced image makes everything look blurry, which it really isn't).

And then of course there is that OBNOXIOUS "Lost and Found" banner which I believe has already come under discussion...

I like how this is cropped to not show that the cache listing has very large picture in the details that's throwing the "full page" off.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...97-38b4956a23a8

-Raine

OK Raine, since you made a fuss about the previous poster's choice of page, here's a page with no graphics other than the "Lost & Found" above the logs (no comment as I think enough has been said). I see lots of white space in Safari v4.0.5 with the browser window adjusted to the point where the buttons (LOC/GPX/GPS/Phone) didn't wrap to a second line.

20100604_white_space.png

Do we really need so much white space to the left of the right navigation and map, below the size/diff/terr?

--Larry

GC does resize cache page images. Try uploading a picture to one of your caches and you're told "The site will resize your image once it has finished uploading" and "If your original image is under 125k or 600 pixels wide, the largest image will not be resized... Final images will always be converted to jpg." My experience is that even on small images GC does some reworking, including stripping the comment field from a jpg file.

Maybe this is a new thing and doesn't affect older caches. But I know that on one steganographic hide I've been working on, I've had no choice but to host the image file elsewhere (yes, that's a hint).

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

Please stop removing features!!! :blink:

+1

And please make the Lost and Found banner go away!

I became a PM because of the "no ads" promise...

On a trakable page, the "Tracking History (6669mi)" line the mileage updates but on the list(the log section) below the mileage between placement logs does not.

Is this broken now?

I tried to 'recalculate mileage' and it use to then show up but doesn't now.

We do some caching here to reduce calls to the database. Give it a bit and let us know if you still don't see it.

Gave it 2 and half days and this is still happening. Mileage after tracking history updates but the mileage in the log section from placement log to placement log(cache to cache distance) is not showing up.

Edit to add: Looks like trackable placements made on the 4th are fine. Its June 3rd and before about 3 days.

Edited by Shilo