Release Notes 6/2/10

OpinioNate

rtyrie- What resolution do you have ? I agree that the Navigation is not as crispy on Opera like it is on Firefox/IE but it still doesnt juxtapose like that

Since the update, the side bar on the home page does not render correctly on the Opera browser after moving the mouse over it.

side.GIF

This is strange. I opened the page today, and the problem no longer exists. I'm not sure what happened. I will let you know if it happens again.

Not shore if it has been removed but on any cache page the second lower/larger map on the cache page does not let you zoom in or out anymore.

That map will be back, I had to switch to static map to get some time to work on javascript issues that had come up. A bigger and better map will be coming soon!

-Raine

Glad to hear this is coming back. That's the primary way I planned my caching trips. Hopefully you can solve the issues soon. I may just take a break until then.

I agree! This is how we plan our trips as well and I'm trying to plan a weekend trip and I can't.....I use the map to pan around to different areas to pick what caches we go after and I "print screen" when I find an area and I print those maps out to know where I'm going.

I may have missed it, but any time frame on when this feature will be back?

Just click on the:

For online maps...

Geocaching.com Google Map

and you can happily continue using that functionality - with a bigger map to boot.

Exactly..... a bigger map wasting more paper, more ink, and taking more time to prepare!!!!!!!

In addition ground zero is covered by the large cache icon rather than the stick pin point.

It was right before and now it is broken. I'm now having to do screen shots, cropping them down and printing out 6 maps to a page. It actually will mean less paper to mess with in the field but takes more time in front of this D@&n screen.

Hi!

O.k., so there are some good news and some less good news ;-)

Good: Collectible changes

Bad: Facebook introduction as FB simply sucks ;-) I would prefer having an option if I like to have this facebook crap on MY cache pages at all! And by the way: Has anyone tried to do that with a member only cache? Will this cache be shown to non members via facebook if a member likes it? For me it would have been more than good enough if I could "like" the main page but not single caches. And I'm pretty sure others think the same way. Here in Germany many people don't want to attract too many additional people via other channels...

But now to a more serious one:

Original: I have seen that the lower map at a cache page isn't zoomable any longer. Is this by intention or is this an error?

Correction: O.k., by design ;-)

So then I still want to complain about the maximum height of the map on the cache search page as I still have this nice 30" display and I'm still not able to make full use of it :-) PLEASE add another option for even higher maps there!

Bye,

Christian

Edited by monsterbox

In addition ground zero is covered by the large cache icon rather than the stick pin point.

Click on "Google Maps" and then the print button. That gives you the stick pin.

While it doesn't solve the size issue, it's a workaround until they fix the bug.

Anyone else notice that the lower maps on thewebsite don't click thorugh to open a new map of the cache area? Or is it just me?

Works for me. The small map at the top opens a popup window and the bigger map above the logs goes to the full geocaching map.

Not shore if it has been removed but on any cache page the second lower/larger map on the cache page does not let you zoom in or out anymore.

That map will be back, I had to switch to static map to get some time to work on javascript issues that had come up. A bigger and better map will be coming soon!

-Raine

Glad to hear this is coming back. That's the primary way I planned my caching trips. Hopefully you can solve the issues soon. I may just take a break until then.

I agree! This is how we plan our trips as well and I'm trying to plan a weekend trip and I can't.....I use the map to pan around to different areas to pick what caches we go after and I "print screen" when I find an area and I print those maps out to know where I'm going.

Just click on the:

For online maps...

and you can happily continue using that functionality - with a bigger map to boot.

Exactly..... a bigger map wasting more paper, more ink, and taking more time to prepare!!!!!!!

It was right before and now it is broken. I'm now having to do screen shots, cropping them down and printing out 6 maps to a page. It actually will mean less paper to mess with in the field but takes more time in front of this D@&n screen.

You're a premium member, do a Pocket Query and pull it into Mapsource, MapSend or Google Earth. Now you can get 1000 caches on one printout. The mini-map zooming is coming back - see Raine's post above.

post 137 - On the cache page, in the trackables inventory box, the "View past Trackables", is no longer a link.

EDITED to add that this seems to be only when there are currently no trackables in the cache.

Just bumping this. I find it to be true as well. A new bug since this update

Firefox 3.5.7 windows 2000 professional

I turned off Greasemonkey to test as this. No impact.

post 139 I just clicked the Yours link for Trackable Items from my profile, and it says in red below the title "No results were found for your search." and I have 197 trackables and they are still listed.

this is an old bug, not fixed on this update

Post #187 t's not possible to create a new event. Dates in the future are not allowed, so you can't create the listing anymore!

If you select Event cache type, you can use future dates. I just just tested this by creating a July 4 event page. No problem. And I received the "Cache Report Submitted" email with the new links to the Knowledge Books articles. This rocks!

Edited by Isonzo Karst

cc652bf2-d462-45b7-b6bb-69b1fda64373.jpg

Note that on the cache report form, the number "5" is now a "4", both difficulty and terrain.

If you select the "4" furthest to the right, the rating will be "5".

Same here Firefox 3.6.3 Windows Vista

Post #187 t's not possible to create a new event. Dates in the future are not allowed, so you can't create the listing anymore!

If you select Event cache type, you can use future dates. I just just tested this by creating a July 4 event page. No problem. And I received the "Cache Report Submitted" email with the new links to the Knowledge Books articles. This rocks!

oh but if you select a date for any month past the 12th it tells you it's an invalid date.

Edited by vbpad

cc652bf2-d462-45b7-b6bb-69b1fda64373.jpg

Note that on the cache report form, the number "5" is now a "4", both difficulty and terrain.

If you select the "4" furthest to the right, the rating will be "5".

Same here Firefox 3.6.3 Windows Vista

Also shows here - Google Chrome 4.1.249.1064 (and Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385) on Windows 7

Click on "Google Maps" and then the print button. That gives you the stick pin.

While it doesn't solve the size issue, it's a workaround until they fix the bug.

Yes I know that, but designing it the way it is now simply shows a lack of understanding of how maps should be used and thus presented. I know I'm coming at this from a different perspective than most cachers, but still the page should show some degree of professionalism.

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

Please stop removing features!!! :)

There was nothing wrong with the find count, only the hide count. The hide count should have been fixed, or just the hide count removed.

Now I can't easily see if any of my friends were caching recently.

the details of their caching activity is still there as it always been, not sure what you referring to :laughing:

Yes, it still notes who has been on the website recently, but not if they have logged finds. I am on almost every day, but that doesn't mean I find a cache every day. I hope they find a way to add total finds (and hides if possible) back to the friends page. It was one of my favorite features there.

Yes I know that, but designing it the way it is now simply shows a lack of understanding of how maps should be used and thus presented. I know I'm coming at this from a different perspective than most cachers, but still the page should show some degree of professionalism.

And if you read the thread you'd know this is temporary while they fix a java script problem.

Edited by Avernar

I hope they find a way to add total finds (and hides if possible) back to the friends page. It was one of my favorite features there.

I've got an idea for a workaround. Unfortunately it won't be compatible with Lil Devil's Friends List Enhancement script. :laughing:

c6502f75-7cc4-4841-a59a-b6ca54fc360e.jpg

Minus Firefox's header and my toolbars, this is an example of what I see when I first load a cache page. Real classy, eh? Why do these stylistic "improvements" always seem more like steps down in quality?

Once again, there is too much white space. The full page does not appear without scrolling to the right. The new typeface in the Navigation bar is hard to read (this reduced image makes everything look blurry, which it really isn't).

And then of course there is that OBNOXIOUS "Lost and Found" banner which I believe has already come under discussion...

And if you read the thread you'd know this is temporary while they fix a java script problem.

Believe me I read the thread. Since my Geocaching "life" depends on maps I read every topic that comes close to involving maps. :laughing: It's the "A bigger and better map will be coming soon!" that scares the c&@p out of me. That might be what we got late yesterday... It is bigger and it does have a scale.. that's better... but it requires a full page of printing. more paper... more ink... more hassle. Yes there are workarounds like taking a screen shot of just the area I need and putting 6 or maybe 8 nearby caches on a single page... I can even drag the cache into the lower left corner and get a scale with it, but I'd rather spend more time in the woods and less at the computer.

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

Please stop removing features!!! :laughing:

There was nothing wrong with the find count, only the hide count. The hide count should have been fixed, or just the hide count removed.

Now I can't easily see if any of my friends were caching recently.

I agree completely! Removing a functional feature to fix a non-functional one makes as much sense as removing the rest of my tires if one goes flat.

grrr my droid aps for caching no longer work. it stinks iphone users are the only smartphone users who can get the official app, what can the rest of us use?

the website :):laughing:

you know what i meant, those of us who use our phones as a gps, and cant afford to print out a bunch of sheets.

Please note that I'm posting this to help you, so please be kind. You will probably find this interesting since you're into reusing/recycling, etc. I am also one of those sorts :bad:

This is how we cace paperlessly. We bought an old Dell Axim Pocket PC on ebay for under $50. We got a GPS card to go into it for free from a recycling center. We then purchased cachemate, a $10 (I think) application for the pocket PC. It puts all the clues, logs, cache information right there. We can even take notes on the Pocket PC so if we need to write down cache information we can.

Sometimes we use it for navigation, because it does work, although our Nuvi is better for that purpose (the nuvi is also from ebay. My father got it for us, but I believe he paid about $80. It gets us driven to the place where we need to be.

We just look up the caches we want to find on my laptop, and then download to the Axim using an SD card ($10-12 will get you a 2gig one).

So for just about $100 we have a perfectly paperless way to geocache. Plus, it's fun to scour Craigslist, Freecycle, Ebay or recycling centers for older but still nice equipment.

We can even play Wherigo caches on our Axim!

-Raine

Will the new and improved map also show nearby caches as the old one did?

-Raine

Just click on the:

For online maps...

Actually, the clickable map is back this morning. It lost some functionality, but at least it is clickable once again.
mobilephoto3jun20101231.jpg

You need to do a hard-refresh on your browser to force it to reload the style files for the site. Normally these files are over-zealously cached by your browser.

In Firefox and IE, press ctrl-F5 when viewing a page on geocaching.com.

For other browsers, look here for instructions specific to your browser.

-Raine

Will the new and improved map also show nearby caches as the old one did?

You are on a different map. The one that usually showed up on page two of the cache page is the one that has been changed for the worse. The one you are remembering is there in the links and as far as I can tell has not been tampered with.

name='knowschad' date='Jun 3 2010, 11:48 AM' post='4355191']

Just click on the:

For online maps...

Actually, the clickable map is back this morning. It lost some functionality, but at least it is clickable once again.

Well yes you can click on it but it leads you to a map is not very useful for the many reasons that I've already mentioned. It's sort of like when an airline cancels your flight but with a smile says you can have another flight to a different destination for the same price.

Edited by edscott

So no timeframe then? Like others, this is the #1 feature that makes this hobby, activity, sport, entertainment, exercise, adventure, (I think you get the point) easy and functional. I would equate this to removing gloves from baseball players, it can still be done, but will just be frustrating, and therefore people will stop doing it. A timeframe would be appreciated..... Thank You :laughing:

I'd assume the person who asked for the banner to be there in the first place doesn't think it is a problem. And a change like that has to come from pretty high up. Maybe the negative reaction from here will make whoever that is change his / her mind.

Think so? Remember MY/YOUR? It's still your. I'd say the banner probably stays.

However, I hate it too. I want it to go. And yes, we were promised no banners with a premium membership, right?

Event dates are broken, at least for some of us outside the US, where the date conventions are different.

When editing an event listing, the unlabelled field (another bug?) for the date, which is clearly marked (dd/mm/yyyy), actually needs mm/dd/yyyy (US style) for it to register correctly. I wondered why my June 8 event showed up as August 6.

If you use the calendar widget to choose your date, it selects a correct-looking date (per the suggested format) into the text field, which results in an incorrect actual date.

To get a correct date, you have to ignore the widget and intentionally enter what appears to be an incorrect date.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

DO NOT like the option that another cacher can take a Coin or TB from my Collection. IT'S MY COLLECTION , AND IS FOR DISCOVERY ONLY!

Just my thought.....

You can disable the Collection feature on a per trackable basis. Go to the trackable, hit edit and select No for Collectable.

Only real pain is, you gotta do it for each trackable you own.

Well.. if this is how the Groundspeak is going to be forward, I will NOT renew my premium membership again..

Those functions that I really liked are gone, and nothing of what I wanted did come, just a whole bunch of unuseful [stuff] that bothers me.

And also the problems with the programs for pda's..

STOP ruining the experience of geocaching with a lot of fancy stuff.. keep it to geocaching and dont mix it with facebook and other sites!

If we want facebook to be a part of geocaching, we will ask for it.. sigh!

Why cant you guys just read what we really want ?

Next time I hope you add the possibility to compare yourself with a user/friend to see what caches you both have taken, what caches that are aviable for both (meaning not taken of eighter one) and what caches my friend have taken but not me, and oposite..

I also want to be able to hide those caches that are disabled for the moment or permantly...

Please do something about this instead of wasting time coding something we DONT want!

And get those numbers on our friends back.. I WANNA SEE HOW MANY CACHES MY FRIENDS HAVE TAKEN!!!

[Edited by moderator to remove potty language. Learn to express your disagreement without using potty language, or don't post. Thank you.]

Edited by Keystone

The "Last Updated: about n hours ago" at the bottom of the cache page is an improvement, but it's wrong at the moment. Looks like a Pacific/GMT confusion. E.g.:

Current Time: 06/03/2010 14:22:50 Pacific Daylight Time (21:22 GMT)

Last Updated: about 8 hours ago on 06/03/2010 13:41:19 Pacific Daylight Time (20:41 GMT)

The current time is correct and I believe the last updated time is correct, but the "n hours ago" is wrong. (I am in GMT+1 at the moment, though I don't suppose that makes any difference).

Some really great updates! Thanks for lots of great changes!

Quick notes:

+ kiosk first page shows not logged in - logging in does not log in - just takes you back to the 'Caches Nearby' link. Link works fine :laughing:

+ Title on kiosk/cachesnearby.aspx is URL

+ Go to Email results/instructions does not seem to work. Not sure if it completed first time, but never got email. Went back to page, and clicking email shows spinny - but spinny just stays on screen never completing.

XP - IE7

Tried email again - and I see now that there is a script error showing up for IE:

Line: 334 Char 17

Error: "console' is undefined

Edited by WitzAbout

WOW! This new release has loads of problems! First up, the top of the cache pages aren't showing up correctly at all:

geocachingdotcomfail.jpg

You see all that ugly white space in there? It's like this in Firefox and IE

When do you think this will be fixed? How come that was approved before going public? Unless not a single beta tester saw that.

Was that actually modified or it is the cascading of style sheets that led to this? Like you modified a little something for something else without noticing it impacted on this? Forgive me, I like to know such details.

unfortunately, i think people actually did ask for it :laughing:

don't get me wrong, i also don't like the spambook crep. but don't make the mistake to confuse what you want with what "we" (or maybe rather "they", i.e. the majority, or even a significant minority) wants.

c6502f75-7cc4-4841-a59a-b6ca54fc360e.jpg

Minus Firefox's header and my toolbars, this is an example of what I see when I first load a cache page. Real classy, eh? Why do these stylistic "improvements" always seem more like steps down in quality?

Once again, there is too much white space. The full page does not appear without scrolling to the right. The new typeface in the Navigation bar is hard to read (this reduced image makes everything look blurry, which it really isn't).

And then of course there is that OBNOXIOUS "Lost and Found" banner which I believe has already come under discussion...

I like how this is cropped to not show that the cache listing has very large picture in the details that's throwing the "full page" off.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...97-38b4956a23a8

-Raine

I didn't seem to get an answer... I'll try this again:

Since your upgrade, I can't open a GC.com page without a message window opening up saying,

"This page uses fonts that need to be temporarily installed. This is usually safe. Do you want to allow these fonts to be downloaded?"

Then I need to click yes or no to open the page. ...every single time. Can someone tell me how to remove this annoying message?

I don't know enough about computers to fix this and would appreciate some guidance from you guys who created this situation.

Which browser? It could be a security setting, but they are in different places in different browsers.

Also, are you sure there is not a check box in that window for "Don't ask me again"?

Internet Explorer. No, no check box unfortunately.

unfortunately, i think people actually did ask for it :)

don't get me wrong, i also don't like the spambook crep. but don't make the mistake to confuse what you want with what "we" (or maybe rather "they", i.e. the majority, or even a significant minority) wants.

Can someone please point to the forum posts where people asked for a tie-in with Facebook. And to the forum posts that asked for Facebook's "Like" feature.

Can someone please point to the forum posts where people asked for a tie-in with Facebook. And to the forum posts that asked for Facebook's "Like" feature.

you haven't seen any of them, and neither have i, which is why i wrote "i think". maybe they don't exist, but the forum isn't everything, you know? less than 1% of all geocachers even visit the forums, and even fewer will actually post. this is especially true for the spambook crowd, they have their own community and thus are even less likely to come to the forums. just because there's no forum posts doesn't mean that nobody asked for it.

Edited by dfx

Hi!

you haven't seen any of them, and neither have i, which is why i wrote "i think". maybe they don't exist, but the forum isn't everything, you know? less than 1% of all geocachers even visit the forums, and even fewer will actually post. this is especially true for the spambook crowd, they have their own community and thus are even less likely to come to the forums. just because there's no forum posts doesn't mean that nobody asked for it.

Sorry, wrong answer!

I don't care about FB-users but I do care about geocachers. And the forum for geocachers should be exactly the one we're in right now. So don't come up with eventual requests on completely different sites having nothing to do with the gc.com site!

I too would absolutely vote for getting an option for allowing/disabling this link on MY caches. Should be quite easy to implement. And as long as this isn't there I will have my caches being member only caches! And I will encourage all the cachers I know doing the same.

I don't want to see my caches on FB at all and for me it's more than annoying being misused to allow that!

Bye,

Christian

Sorry, wrong answer!

nope, right answer.

I don't care about FB-users but I do care about geocachers. And the forum for geocachers should be exactly the one we're in right now. So don't come up with eventual requests on completely different sites having nothing to do with the gc.com site!

yes, this is the forum for geocachers. but that doesn't mean there aren't other ways to make suggestions to GS. what about good old email? sending an email to GS or even using the internal messaging function to send something to GS is a perfectly valid way of communicating with GS, and you'll never see any of it here or anywhere else. the same applies to any other facility out there that has a way to send something to GS, be it spambook, twitter, snail mail or whatever else.

I too would absolutely vote for getting an option for allowing/disabling this link on MY caches. Should be quite easy to implement. And as long as this isn't there I will have my caches being member only caches! And I will encourage all the cachers I know doing the same.

i don't care for the website to put the spambook link on my cache listings. the listing is out there anyway, google, bing, any other search engine and possibly countless other 3rd party sites, they all index and link to my cache listings. spambook is just another one of them. whether the link to the cache listings goes there through the "like it" button or by somebody posting it manually doesn't matter. i can't keep it from going there, and it's not even supposed to be unlinkable from anywhere else. all the listings are public anyway, everyone can view them, send links around etc... except for the coords and some other "vital" information, for which you need a gc.com account, but the links going to spambook don't change that either.

if you don't want your listings to show up publicly, anywhere, then you did the right thing: make them PMO. everything else is public anyway, be it on spambook or whereever else.

what i do want to see is an option in my profile so i don't have to see the spambook links, for any caches. i don't have an account and never will, so i don't need to and don't want to see the button. but that probably ain't gonna happen.

I like how this is cropped to not show that the cache listing has very large picture in the details that's throwing the "full page" off.

Raine, it's not my crop... and it doesn't matter, every cache I look at now have extra spacing at the top that wasn't there before. That was the original poster was saying too. Let me know if you want me to circle what I mean in a new screen shot.

Raine, it's not my crop... and it doesn't matter, every cache I look at now have extra spacing at the top that wasn't there before. That was the original poster was saying too. Let me know if you want me to circle what I mean in a new screen shot.

He wasn't responding to your point about white space at the top of the page. I think you were clear on what you don't like.

I am not sure if this problem has been looked at yet or not so I am reposting it.

When I am at the cache log page (the one that loads after you submit a log), I type on a GC number for another cache in the "visit another listing" and press enter. It just reloads the current page. It does not go to that cache page like before the update. I have to click on the "go" button in order to go to that cache page.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but let me state clearly what my preferences are:

I like maps. I like to print cache pages and have them in my hands out in the field. I don't like having to carry two or three electronic gadgets and peering at their LCD screens. I know I can click the Google maps link and get the large map with all caches shown. That's not what I want, although I do use that, too. I ESPECIALLY find useful switching the lower map to satellite or hybrid view and zooming in to help me know where to start looking and to confirm I'm in the right place, right side of street, which tree, etc. Please tell me this capability is important and will return.

Also, I concur with the need for the find counts on my Friends listings being returned.

And, I couldn't care less about Facebook—get rid of the Like link.

Thank you for all the work on the site.

That is how I see it on firefox on my desktop computer.

reload helps! force-reload if in doubt. if in even more doubt, clear the cache and restart browser.

Edited by dfx