Release Notes 6/2/10

OpinioNate

Please alert us to any issue with Field Notes after this because I believe they're squared away now.

I still get

Ignore logs before 11/14/2013 08:55:00
which still makes that feature useless until I fix my time travel machine.

latest Firefox uploading from PN-40 or Endura Out&Back

rtyrie- What resolution do you have ? I agree that the Navigation is not as crispy on Opera like it is on Firefox/IE but it still doesnt juxtapose like that

Since the update, the side bar on the home page does not render correctly on the Opera browser after moving the mouse over it.

side.GIF

Please alert us to any issue with Field Notes after this because I believe they're squared away now.

I still get

Cx1 - Can you give us some more steps to reproduce this. Like what cache were you posting the field note and were you doing this from Iphone?

And it said ignore logs before 11/14/2013??

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

Please stop removing features!!! :(

There was nothing wrong with the find count, only the hide count. The hide count should have been fixed, or just the hide count removed.

Now I can't easily see if any of my friends were caching recently.

Edited by Avernar
Honestly, I can't remember a change that I didn't support or was indifferent to. This banner is just horrible though. I am very much annoyed with it. It needs to go ASAP.

I'm having some trouble parsing the first part. Do you mean there's never been a change on the site that annoyed you? (asking for clarification)

Anyway, while on the topic of annoyances on the cache page, no one seems to mind all that extra white space all over the page? I managed to reduce the length by about 7 lines of text spacing by removing a bunch of white space.

Here's what I mean: Take all the updates I've seen since I've started caching in April 2007 and all the updates from before then that I have heard about since I started, and they have all been updates that I supported or updates that don't affect me either way. I cannot remember a single update that I have been against. A few years ago when they added the "Give A Gift Membership" link after the Status line on peoples profiles, I was a tad bit skeptical and thought it was a little self serving, but it didn't really bother me either way. That was the worst I could say about Groundspeak's decisions until today when I logged in and saw this banner on every cache page.

The banner is a huge mistake and it needs to go. They should remove it immediately. On the Lost and Found page it states: The most important part of the celebration, however, is you. If this is truly the case, the banner should be removed ASAP.

The white space makes no difference to me. That is an update that I am indifferent too. I fully support the trackable collection option. That is way cool.

I still get

Cx1 - Can you give us some more steps to reproduce this. Like what cache were you posting the field note and were you doing this from Iphone?

And it said ignore logs before 11/14/2013??

Trying to upload any field notes from the two devices I listed. This has been an issue I have posted about before and was not caused by this update. The date is there before I even browse to any field notes to upload. If the field notes being squared away was just about iphone I apologize but it seemed to be a general field note statement and not iphone specific when I read it. And yes the 2013 date is correct, though it goes up one day each time I submit field notes so next time after a successful upload it will say 11/15/2013 then 11/16/2013 etc.

I cannot move my regions of germany coin into a collection. It worked for all of the other coins I own without any problems but this one has not the "Move to collection" option in the logtype-drop down box. I marked it as collectible of course as all my others, but this one did not work. Is it a bug or a feature? :(

The "Lost & Found" ad is truly annoying.

Yes! Extremely so! I thought that, as a premium member, I wouldn't be subjected to ads! It's ugly, and annoying!

I Agree. (If I said more I would be banned).

This "Lost and Found" banner needs to go ASAP. One of the ugliest banners ever and it's more eye catching than the red banner notifying people that the site is going down.

Please, please, please, please get rid of it. It's bad. :(

Like I said, GreaseMonkey is your friend. Embrace the Monkey.

var allDivs, i;

allDivs = document.evaluate(
"//div[@class='LFNominateBanner']",
document,
null,
XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
null);

for (i = 0; i < allDivs.snapshotLength; i++) {
allDivs.snapshotItem(i).style.display = "none";
}

I'll be fixing the rest of my "nix white space" script to clean up the cache display page.

Greasemonkey can only address the symptom. GS can address the problem.

Moreover, Greasemonkey can make my experience better, but that doesn't help when others are viewing my cache pages. I hope that there is enough protest to make it go away. I find it to be distracting and self-serving. I also wish that Groundspeak would spend more time listening to our suggestions for features instead of coming up with gimmicks like this banner.

I was stunned when I first saw it on one of my cache pages. The thing that came to mine was the recent thread about leeeches. (sp)

I'll be fixing the rest of my "nix white space" script to clean up the cache display page.

Which script is that on the http://userscripts.org site?

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/66749

I haven't added in the Facebook blocking here yet. Seems like some people actually like it. If you want to add it manually, edit the script and add, at the end :

var node_list = document.getElementsByTagName('iframe');

for (i = 0; i < node_list.length; i++) {
if (node_list[i].src.search("facebook") != -1)
	node_list[i].style.display = "none";
}

Code is rather ugly right now but should get the job done. It's pretty straightforward, you should be able to see what section does what. Comment out any section you don't want removed.

I haven't added in the Facebook blocking here yet. Seems like some people actually like it. If you want to add it manually, edit the script and add, at the end :

var node_list = document.getElementsByTagName('iframe');

for (i = 0; i < node_list.length; i++) {
if (node_list[i].src.search("facebook") != -1)
	node_list[i].style.display = "none";
}

Code is rather ugly right now but should get the job done. It's pretty straightforward, you should be able to see what section does what. Comment out any section you don't want removed.

Or simply...

GM_addStyle('iframe[src*="facebook"] { display:none; }');

rtyrie- What resolution do you have ? I agree that the Navigation is not as crispy on Opera like it is on Firefox/IE but it still doesnt juxtapose like that

Since the update, the side bar on the home page does not render correctly on the Opera browser after moving the mouse over it.

side.GIF

My immediate guess would be, you don't have a matching font, so Opera is using its default font.

I see that some people have mentioned white space again, but I must admit that I've not seen anything too untoward this time around. Maybe it has something to do with not having a widescreen monitor, so every thing is bunched up for me anyway.

The things I would like to see changed, althoug not bugs just cosmetic...

I would like to see the facebook link moved to below the bookmarks and eveything moved up to where it was so the attributes are under the small map. I think its already been established that people are going to be hesitant about using it, as it exposes their true identity.

The other things is at the top of the page. I feel that the "(1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)" is redundant and could easily be removed, allowing this otherwise chunk of white space to be closed up. The star rating system is not a new concept or unique to GC so even someone completely new to the site can work out that 1 star is less that 5 stars.

The other things is at the top of the page. I feel that the "(1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)" is redundant and could easily be removed, allowing this otherwise chunk of white space to be closed up. The star rating system is not a new concept or unique to GC so even someone completely new to the site can work out that 1 star is less that 5 stars.

That's done by my script. That's the ugly part of the code...

Your E-Mail Address

Change

markdavis@btinternet.com

E-Mail Preferences

Do not show my email address to other users.

Inform me of helpful tips, new features and changes to the web site.

I do not want to receive the Groundspeak weekly newsletter.

Send emails from Groundspeak in HTML format when available.

Hi i try to not use forums anymore but HAD to come back when i saw the changes to understand what has happened etc.

Could you please please please just send us an email we have ticked the correct box on our profile page.

Thank you

WOW! This new release has loads of problems! First up, the top of the cache pages aren't showing up correctly at all:

geocachingdotcomfail.jpg

You see all that ugly white space in there? It's like this in Firefox and IE.

The menu bar looks awful in IE (thankfully not in Firefox, though):

geocachingdotcomfail2.jpg

There's a large amount of white space between the Facebook feature and the attributes list on the right.

Going to http://www.geocaching.com/kiosk logs me out of my account.

And finally, there's an advert showing up just before the logs (in both IE and Firefox), even though I am a Premium Member.

Fix these problems and I'll be happy.

EDIT: Oh my God! Yes! Thank you! I can now fix the spaces in my Pocket Queries! That only took a few months...

Edited by FancoverFive

Not shore if it has been removed but on any cache page the second lower/larger map on the cache page does not let you zoom in or out anymore.

That map will be back, I had to switch to static map to get some time to work on javascript issues that had come up. A bigger and better map will be coming soon!

-Raine

Glad to hear this is coming back. That's the primary way I planned my caching trips. Hopefully you can solve the issues soon. I may just take a break until then.

I agree! This is how we plan our trips as well and I'm trying to plan a weekend trip and I can't.....I use the map to pan around to different areas to pick what caches we go after and I "print screen" when I find an area and I print those maps out to know where I'm going.

I may have missed it, but any time frame on when this feature will be back?

16713: Pocket Query consistently not available for download after generation

Removed ability to delete My Finds PQ to insure it is always available

Sorry, but I don't like this one. I've never had the problem of it not being available for download after it's been generated. Once I get my MyFinds file, it's saved on my PC until I run my MyFinds PQ again. I would still like to have the ability to delete it from the list once I no longer need it.

Edited by W8TTS

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

Please stop removing features!!! :)

There was nothing wrong with the find count, only the hide count. The hide count should have been fixed, or just the hide count removed.

Now I can't easily see if any of my friends were caching recently.

the details of their caching activity is still there as it always been, not sure what you referring to :laughing:

The menu bar looks awful in IE (thankfully not in Firefox, though):

geocachingdotcomfail2.jpg

For me, it looks just like that in IE, FF and Chrome

Oh, it looks different in Firefox, it just doesn't look awful like in the picture. However where it looks the worst is on the iPhone:

mobilephoto3jun20101231.jpg

:laughing::bad:

13764: Quick "like it" for geocaches

Added Facebook "Like" functionality to cache pages

:):bad:

How do I turn off this on my caches? I do NOT want to be associated in any way with FB. It took a bit of work to cancel my account, and I want to keep it that way.

The Cache page also also broke the display of "GC VIP List" I want that back

The other things is at the top of the page. I feel that the "(1 is easiest, 5 is hardest)" is redundant and could easily be removed, allowing this otherwise chunk of white space to be closed up.

That's done by my script. That's the ugly part of the code...

You nuked that too? :laughing:

I didn't seem to get an answer... I'll try this again:

Since your upgrade, I can't open a GC.com page without a message window opening up saying,

"This page uses fonts that need to be temporarily installed. This is usually safe. Do you want to allow these fonts to be downloaded?"

Then I need to click yes or no to open the page. ...every single time. Can someone tell me how to remove this annoying message?

I don't know enough about computers to fix this and would appreciate some guidance from you guys who created this situation.

the details of their caching activity is still there as it always been, not sure what you referring to :laughing:

I use(d) Lil Devil's Friends List Enhancement script. It remembered the find counts from the last time I viewed the friends page and would put a +nn beside each find count with the difference. You could tell at a glance who was caching and then just click on their find cound and it would take you to their find list page.

Before the script, I could do this without by remembering their find counts, but only for a couple of friends as my memory is not that great.

Now I have to go through 3 web pages to get to their caching activity and I have to do it for each friend. I can't tell who I don't have to do that to.

Ohhhhh I don't like that they took my friends count down at all!! I love to see what they found recently and now I have to go through 3 pages to even see if they found anything?! :laughing: I certainly hope they fix the zoom in map page, that is how I plan where to go and when I go on vacation I can see which are near eachother......

I didn't seem to get an answer... I'll try this again:

Since your upgrade, I can't open a GC.com page without a message window opening up saying,

"This page uses fonts that need to be temporarily installed. This is usually safe. Do you want to allow these fonts to be downloaded?"

Then I need to click yes or no to open the page. ...every single time. Can someone tell me how to remove this annoying message?

I don't know enough about computers to fix this and would appreciate some guidance from you guys who created this situation.

Which browser? It could be a security setting, but they are in different places in different browsers.

Also, are you sure there is not a check box in that window for "Don't ask me again"?

Not shore if it has been removed but on any cache page the second lower/larger map on the cache page does not let you zoom in or out anymore.

That map will be back, I had to switch to static map to get some time to work on javascript issues that had come up. A bigger and better map will be coming soon!

-Raine

Glad to hear this is coming back. That's the primary way I planned my caching trips. Hopefully you can solve the issues soon. I may just take a break until then.

I agree! This is how we plan our trips as well and I'm trying to plan a weekend trip and I can't.....I use the map to pan around to different areas to pick what caches we go after and I "print screen" when I find an area and I print those maps out to know where I'm going.

I may have missed it, but any time frame on when this feature will be back?

Just click on the:

For online maps...

Geocaching.com Google Map

and you can happily continue using that functionality - with a bigger map to boot.