Release Notes 6/2/10

OpinioNate

Yes, Facebook uses real names. But Geocaching never did, unless you chose to use your real name as your caching name. The point is that we were all kind of anonymous here, and now we are not. It was unexpected and there does not appear to be any way to remove one's name once it is there. -verano

Your name will only ever be displayed to people already on your Facebook friends list and yourself. Everyone else just sees that "one other person" (or however many) like it.

We pushed a new build to fix a few issues that had come up.

• Field notes not posting through iPhone app (partial fix - still working on this but they do appear in the field notes list now at least)
  • BB Code in the Lost and Found stories no longer cause all the stories on the page to be affected
  • Edit waypoint no longer causes a 404
  • Collectibles status defaults to "non-collectible"
  • Premium-only and archived caches no longer show as "Nate likes Error Occurred" on Facebook (something about this made me lol)
  • Submitting a field notes log through the site no longer results in a 500 error

Greasemonkey can only address the symptom. GS can address the problem.

True, assuming you can :

1. Get Groundspeak to admit it is a problem

2. Wait 1 month (or more) for a site update

I prefer not to rely on others when it is a minor issue I can clean up easily.

I'm not discouraging you from trying to convince Groundspeak, though. I'm rooting for you.

I'm not sure how long this "Lost and Found" thing is going to be around. I thought it's mainly a 10th Anniversary thing, so it should be gone next year anyway :(

I noticed that the site navigation on the left side now consists of normal links instead of grey "buttons"! It looks really bad...

I can't say that I like the new font. Not in keeping with the rest of the site. Even Arial would have been better than AvantGarde in all caps. It does look at little better on the cache pages, where its not bold, but I think a different font, in Title Case, would be better.

+1 for removing the Lost and Found banner. It's very obtrusive, and kind of insulting to those of us paying premium memberships.

I agree. I would much rather stories from my caches be exempt if it meant getting rid of that stupid banner on my cache page.

I noticed that the site navigation on the left side now consists of normal links instead of grey "buttons"! It looks really bad...

I can't say that I like the new font. Not in keeping with the rest of the site. Even Arial would have been better than AvantGarde in all caps. It does look at little better on the cache pages, where its not bold, but I think a different font, in Title Case, would be better.

It's probably not obvious but we had to make this change to support the new language preferences. Our designer worked hard to match the former appearance but his options were somewhat limited.

You sure about that? I visited a few of mine that I hadn't fixed yet and they haven't defaulted to anything...I still have to choose Yes or No.

:(

Now running into a Server error..

I usually download the new .LOC files, then call-up each page, and download the .GPX file.. Except..... Every time I click on the "GPX File" button, I get:

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I'm seeing this as well. Clicking on the GPX file button on a cache page results in "IE8 has stopped working" message.

You sure about that? I visited a few of mine that I hadn't fixed yet and they haven't defaulted to anything...I still have to choose Yes or No.

Yes, I'm sure. Until you select either Yes or No it is Unknown. The default for Unknown is set to non-collectible. This would make more sense if we had left the status text visible on the Trackable details page (which we will replace later).

it seems to work like that: internally there still is an "unknown" state for that toggle, but in effect it works like the "non-collectible" state, EXCEPT for the owner of the trackable, who can still move it to their collection.

Yes, I'm sure. Until you select either Yes or No it is Unknown. The default for Unknown is set to non-collectible. This would make more sense if we had left the status text visible on the Trackable details page (which we will replace later).

Thanks for the confirmation Nate. Since neither button was selected after your post...it wasn't obvious anything had changed...hence my doubt. Yes, the text indicating status would have been helpful.

I finally finished updating my 40+ trackables. I still feel sorry for those with 100+ to update. There really should have been a batch feature for this, or something perhaps in our account settings, to mark Some/ALL trackables non-collectible.

This "Lost and Found" banner needs to go ASAP. One of the ugliest banners ever and it's more eye catching than the red banner notifying people that the site is going down.

Please, please, please, please get rid of it. It's bad. :(

Like I said, GreaseMonkey is your friend. Embrace the Monkey.

var allDivs, i;

allDivs = document.evaluate(
"//div[@class='LFNominateBanner']",
document,
null,
XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
null);

for (i = 0; i < allDivs.snapshotLength; i++) {
allDivs.snapshotItem(i).style.display = "none";
}

I'll be fixing the rest of my "nix white space" script to clean up the cache display page.

Moreover, Greasemonkey can make my experience better, but that doesn't help when others are viewing my cache pages. I hope that there is enough protest to make it go away. I find it to be distracting and self-serving. I also wish that Groundspeak would spend more time listening to our suggestions for features instead of coming up with gimmicks like this banner.

True, assuming you can :

1. Get Groundspeak to admit it is a problem

2. Wait 1 month (or more) for a site update

I prefer not to rely on others when it is a minor issue I can clean up easily.

I'm not discouraging you from trying to convince Groundspeak, though. I'm rooting for you.

I'm not sure how long this "Lost and Found" thing is going to be around. I thought it's mainly a 10th Anniversary thing, so it should be gone next year anyway :(

Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone from Groundspeak would not think that the banner is a problem. It needs to go. There shouldn't be any need for convincing. There shouldn't be any question about it.

Thats cool if you want to use Greasemonkey to pretend it doesn't exist. In my view, if Groundspeak does something I am vehemently against, I'm not going to say 'ho-hum' and go to Greasemonkey to make me feel better. I'm going to go to Groundspeak and say "hey, why are you doing this? I do not like it. I want it to stop."

This "Lost and Found" banner needs to go ASAP. One of the ugliest banners ever and it's more eye catching than the red banner notifying people that the site is going down.

Please, please, please, please get rid of it. It's bad. :(

Like I said, GreaseMonkey is your friend. Embrace the Monkey.

I'll be fixing the rest of my "nix white space" script to clean up the cache display page.

Moreover, Greasemonkey can make my experience better, but that doesn't help when others are viewing my cache pages. I hope that there is enough protest to make it go away. I find it to be distracting and self-serving. I also wish that Groundspeak would spend more time listening to our suggestions for features instead of coming up with gimmicks like this banner.

I totally agree with knowschad.

• Field notes not posting through iPhone app (partial fix - still working on this but they do appear in the field notes list now at least)

This is now fully fixed and tested. Please alert us to any issue with Field Notes after this because I believe they're squared away now.

It's probably not obvious but we had to make this change to support the new language preferences. Our designer worked hard to match the former appearance but his options were somewhat limited.

Ok, fair enough, that makes sense. But maybe try it non bold for everthing, and in Title Case. I think it'll look neater and easire to read.

Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone from Groundspeak would not think that the banner is a problem. It needs to go. There shouldn't be any need for convincing. There shouldn't be any question about it.

Thats cool if you want to use Greasemonkey to pretend it doesn't exist. In my view, if Groundspeak does something I am vehemently against, I'm not going to say 'ho-hum' and go to Greasemonkey to make me feel better. I'm going to go to Groundspeak and say "hey, why are you doing this? I do not like it. I want it to stop."

I'd assume the person who asked for the banner to be there in the first place doesn't think it is a problem. And a change like that has to come from pretty high up. Maybe the negative reaction from here will make whoever that is change his / her mind.

I don't use GreaseMonkey to "pretend it doesn't exist". I use it to customize the site to my preference, and I freely share it with anyone who wants to use it. I find that sentence to be mildly insulting, but I believe you did not mean it as an insult.

I guess I have a fatalistic approach to cosmetic changes on the site. It's not a big enough annoyance to me to make an issue out of it. I like to save my energy for bugs that can't be worked around from my end. And like I said earlier, if you can get Groundspeak to remove it, I'm all for it.

I followed the link in the knowledge book and tried to move my coins/trackables to a collection and I am unable to do that. First there is no actions pulldown on that page. If we are supposed to go in to each trackable page, There is no move to collection action. I have tried this on trackables I have in my own possession and I have made them collectible and not collectible. Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by N7MFT

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, PLEASE, remove the Lost and Found Banner. It is annoying and insulting to Premium Members particularly. If you must, why not include it as a link after "View Log"

The lower map now responds to clicking on it; are you also going to restore the option to show sat view, hybrid, etc. Also, I concur, bigger is NOT better. It's fine as is, but I use that on every printout to give me reference on location.

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please, PLEASE, remove the Lost and Found Banner. It is annoying and insulting to Premium Members particularly. If you must, why not include it as a link after "View Log"

AND DID I MENTION:

you know what i meant, those of us who use our phones as a gps, and cant afford to print out a bunch of sheets.

you can do it like everybody else who goes caching paperless with any kind of GPS device: use pocket queries.

That is if we could download the pocket queries. Trying to download a pocket query just results in a 500 error.

hi, the one thing ive noticed that i dont like at all, is the friends list no longer displays the number of caches people have found, it now has location instead so to view how many caches your mate have got u now have to click on them and open up there profile, i used to like just checking my firend list to see who had been caching recently and how many that were now on.

I would like to see this come back as well. I use it just to quickly check on my friends

What is the purpose of the gigantic "lost and found" banner between the cache information and the log entries? This is especially anoying when it fills the entire screen on my Windows Mobile phone as I scroll through the cache information page. PLEASE REMOVE IT OR MOVE IT SOMEWHERE OUT OF THE WAY -- If you need to put it somewhere, put it at the bottom of the list of log entries instead of at the top. Or put it in the left column below the advertisement.

Thank you in advance.

Dr.

Edited by DrRounds2
What is the purpose of the gigantic "lost and found" banner between the cache information and the log entries? This is especially anoying when it fills the entire screen on my Windows Mobile phone as I scroll through the cache information page. PLEASE REMOVE IT OR MOVE IT SOMEWHERE OUT OF THE WAY -- If you need to put it somewhere, put it at the bottom of the list of log entries instead of at the top. Or put it in the left column below the advertisement.

Thank you in advance.

Dr.

While I have already posted a couple of complaints about that banner, I must say that, while I hate it, they did put it in the most logical spot. Groundspeak is soliciting what they hope will be memorable logs that they can use to promote geocaching, and where else to ask but just above the logging area?

Well at least having Friends on the geocaching site is now useless.

I used to care about what they were up to, how many new finds they had etc. Now, to go to all the trouble of clicking through their profiles? Forget it.

I guess I need not make any more friends. :(

Will this "fix" be fixed?

On the cache page, in the trackables inventory box, the "View past Trackables", is no longer a link.

EDITED to add that this seems to be only when there are currently no trackables in the cache.

Edited by rtyrie
While I have already posted a couple of complaints about that banner, I must say that, while I hate it, they did put it in the most logical spot. Groundspeak is soliciting what they hope will be memorable logs that they can use to promote geocaching, and where else to ask but just above the logging area?

From a design standpoint, I agree I think it's in about the best place it could be, but I think if they insist it remain, there's a FAR better and less intrusive presentation that could be used, I'm sure. Not a solid black background rectangular block that puts the page in some awkward imbalance, and may even be taller than logs below it.

Perhaps just make its background the colour of the log section border, make the content less IN YOUR FACE, and provide links with interesting text. It'll be noticeable, it'll flow better, and will feel like a part of the website (which I believe is the point) rather than like a typical and despised 3rd part banner ad.

I see that pictures in cache logs are now displayed differently.

Good: Gee-whiz factor is up.

Bad: Readability of the picture's "notes", if any, is waaaay down.

For example, see the pictures in the most recent log for this cache, which do have notes. The problem is that it shows text with a transparent background. If that's hovering over some text in a cache log, it's pretty much unreadable.

Also, the main text under a picture would be more readable too, if you'd put "View Log" and "Print Picture" on a separate line.

I can no longer click on the larger cache location map and get a larger, interactive one. Now I get a slightly larger inset that's not intereactive of useful. :D Why have both maps on the cache pages now? :(

And, why can I no longer see the number of caches found by friends? Now I have to do 2-3 clicks. Just yesterday, I could click on Friends and there they were, stairing me in the face with ther cache counts. No longer. :D

I'd assume the person who asked for the banner to be there in the first place doesn't think it is a problem. And a change like that has to come from pretty high up. Maybe the negative reaction from here will make whoever that is change his / her mind.

I always say nothing surprises me so I suppose someone thought it was a good idea. I can only hope that person's mind is changing very very quickly.

I don't use GreaseMonkey to "pretend it doesn't exist". I use it to customize the site to my preference, and I freely share it with anyone who wants to use it. I find that sentence to be mildly insulting, but I believe you did not mean it as an insult.

I did not mean it as an insult.

I guess I have a fatalistic approach to cosmetic changes on the site. It's not a big enough annoyance to me to make an issue out of it. I like to save my energy for bugs that can't be worked around from my end. And like I said earlier, if you can get Groundspeak to remove it, I'm all for it.

Honestly, I can't remember a change that I didn't support or was indifferent to. This banner is just horrible though. I am very much annoyed with it. It needs to go ASAP.

I don't even mind the "nominate" link in the "view log" page, but the banner is inducing nausea.

Honestly, I can't remember a change that I didn't support or was indifferent to. This banner is just horrible though. I am very much annoyed with it. It needs to go ASAP.

I'm having some trouble parsing the first part. Do you mean there's never been a change on the site that annoyed you? (asking for clarification)

Anyway, while on the topic of annoyances on the cache page, no one seems to mind all that extra white space all over the page? I managed to reduce the length by about 7 lines of text spacing by removing a bunch of white space.

I can no longer click on the larger cache location map and get a larger, interactive one. Now I get a slightly larger inset that's not intereactive of useful. :D Why have both maps on the cache pages now? :(

And, why can I no longer see the number of caches found by friends? Now I have to do 2-3 clicks. Just yesterday, I could click on Friends and there they were, stairing me in the face with ther cache counts. No longer. :D

Just saw that. You can still access the link from the list on the left though. I agree, what's the point in two is one is not the link.

16562: Event Booth page to view caches near you

Added basic search page to use at events showing caches near you and ability to email them to any address (http://www.geocaching.com/kiosk)

So how exactly does that work?

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

Not sure if I would label this as a bug fix. I used the find counts on the "my friends" page a lot to check if they recently did some caching. You removed one of the few benefits of the friends functionality.

Ditto. I hope the Hides/Finds displaying the wrong number can be fixed and it be returned to the Friends page!

Ceriously... a Lost and Found banner above the logs ?!?! Please get rid of this. There is plenty of space in the left margin, to put this in a vertical format.

I agree. I understand the desire of Groundspeak to promote L&F, but I find the banner annoying.

grrr my droid aps for caching no longer work. it stinks iphone users are the only smartphone users who can get the official app, what can the rest of us use?

Try GeoBeagle. I find it to be pretty good and I just got an update for it today - probably no coincidence.

P.S. I recall you mentioning in another forum post that you use a non-sanctioned app. This would be an example of why that's a bad idea. :(

I'm not sure if this is a new bug or I just didn't notice it before:

If you go to a trackable page, the distances in the logs are listed in km. This is correct since this is what I chose in my profile settings. However, if I click on "View Map", the distances are now listed in miles.

If you go to a trackable page, the distances in the logs are listed in km. This is correct since this is what I chose in my profile settings. However, if I click on "View Map", the distances are now listed in miles.

nope, old bug. the page has been doing that ever since i started using it.