Release Notes 6/2/10

OpinioNate

1480: Error in Friends Page "caches hidden" count

Removed hides/finds count from Friends page

Not sure if I would label this as a bug fix. I used the find counts on the "my friends" page a lot to check if they recently did some caching. You removed one of the few benefits of the friends functionality.

i mentioned that as it was thw whole point of having friends listed i thought to see how they were doing with cache finds etc, but no one on here seems to of commented on my post!

What? That's not a bug fix! It couldn't have been that badly off. Remove "Location" and "Title" but don't remove the only useful piece of information from the Friends page! Display it as "found approx. # caches" if it's incorrect.

it wasn't just incorrect, it hasn't been updated in years(?)

but i agree, that's not a bugfix.

Wow!

Very long list!

Trackables Collection

Has the list of Trackables you are "holding" grown out of control? For those of you with a collection of geocoins or mileage-tracker bugs we have added a new virtual collection to your profile. More information can be found in the Trackables Collection knowledge book.

Now, just read the Trackables Collection knowledge book.

I don't know about this having/letting 'other' cachers 'collect' TBs.

I understand very well the need to make yourself a 'collection' list, and move in/out your own TBs from this list.

I log every TB I have in my possession at the time I 'Found' a cache, aka 'dip', mine AND others, until I find a cache appropriate to 'drop'.

Having a 'Collection' may help others with large self-owned TB collection, as this new feature seems to be intended for.

BUT, this feature should NOT be available for any TBs owned by others!

Why do you want your own TBs to be collected by others?!

TBs that are not yours MUST always be listed in the holder's 'Inventory' list all the time, as a 'necessary reminder' that they have it.

TB are meant to travel from cache to cache, once released into the 'wild', NOT Collected!

Just my thought.

Hampsters are live & kicking!

Look forward to all the improvements!

~ Dr.MORO

I completely agree

After the update, field notes do not seem to be uploading when using the iPhone app. Even though I get the message "Your field notes were successfully submitted" when using the app, the caches are not showing up in my field notes online here on the website.

Trackables Collection

Has the list of Trackables you are "holding" grown out of control? For those of you with a collection of geocoins or mileage-tracker bugs we have added a new virtual collection to your profile. More information can be found in the Trackables Collection knowledge book.

While this seems very handy for those of us with collections, I'm not sure how I feel about others being able to "collect" my trackables. While it still shows up as in the hands of that person, it also means that they are more likely to be forgotten. There is no "Collection" box on the "Your Profile" page, so there isn't a reminder that items are in my possession. And if they aren't in the inventory, you don't get the reminder every time you log a cache and see a list of items to drop down below. Yes, I could mark the item as "Non-Collectible", but this creates extra work for me just to make sure that the item isn't collected by someone.

Personally, I'd rather see the option to bookmark trackables much like you can with geocaches. It allows me to keep track of items I've run into that I want to follow without haven't to receive the e-mails every time it is logged like I would if it is on my watch list.

Since your upgrade, I can't open a GC.com page without a message window opening up saying,

"This page uses fonts that need to be temporarily installed. This is usually safe. Do you want to allow these fonts to be downloaded?"

Then I need to click yes or no to open the page. ...every single time. Can someone tell me how to remove this annoying message?

ok, so i edited the one personal geocoin i have and marked it as collectible. now how on earth do i move it to my collection, out of my inventory? there's nothing in the dropdown menu "actions".

Visit your inventory and do it there:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/inventory.aspx

We'll have to add a feature to allow you to move it from the Trackable details page so other people aren't confused.

ahhhh... i was mistakenly using the "trackable items" link on the profile. that explains.

hmm... it seems that this action doesn't send out an email to the owner of the TB/GC. it may be important to know when somebody else moves your own TB/GC to their collection!

pppps: and it looks like "mark as missing" actions don't send emails out any more either. maybe the email system is generally borken?

pppppppps: and they have just arrived :(

Some really great updates! Thanks for lots of great changes!

Quick notes:

+ kiosk first page shows not logged in - logging in does not log in - just takes you back to the 'Caches Nearby' link. Link works fine :(

+ Title on kiosk/cachesnearby.aspx is URL

+ Go to Email results/instructions does not seem to work. Not sure if it completed first time, but never got email. Went back to page, and clicking email shows spinny - but spinny just stays on screen never completing.

XP - IE7

grrr my droid aps for caching no longer work. it stinks iphone users are the only smartphone users who can get the official app, what can the rest of us use?

the website :D:(

you know what i meant, those of us who use our phones as a gps, and cant afford to print out a bunch of sheets.

Field notes are uploading using web site and Garmin Oregon 300. Don't know about iPhone, so may be a separate problem.

When logging by field notes, I noticed 2 anomalies:

1. After filling in the log and clicking Submit I get a 500 error. However, opening My Profile in another tab, I see that the log got in. An irritation. I restarted the browser, still same error. I haven't deleted cookies / cached pages yet, will try that next.

2. I created a field notes with 24 entries at 1 hour intervals (yes, you know where I'm going with this one :( ) - adjusting for local time zone works. However, Daylight Saving setting is not taken into account. I tried changing DST one way, then another, and it makes no difference. This is a small matter for now - only affects 1 hour before / after midnight. Workaround is to switch to Mountain Time (from Pacific Time) manually during Daylight Saving time. It's not perfect, but it is much, much better than it was. Thank you!

Firefox 3.6.3, Windows XP Professional.

Some of my GM scripts broke, but that's to be expected. I'll get them fixed soon.

There is a difference between a "Travel Bug" (TB) and a "Geocoin" though..

Nate;

I must agree with these people. I have never heard of a travel bug that was sent out to be "collected." Is there anything supposed to be listed on the page that says it has been listed as not collectible? I changed mine that have been released and then went to the TB page. I see nothing that states it is not collectible. I think there should be a big red "NOT COLLECTIBLE" listed on the trackable page.

When I am at the cache log page (the one that loads after you submit a log), I type on a GC number for another cache in the "visit another listing" and press enter. It just reloads the current page. It does not go to that cache page like before the update. I have to click on the "go" button in order to go to that cache page.

you know what i meant, those of us who use our phones as a gps, and cant afford to print out a bunch of sheets.

you can do it like everybody else who goes caching paperless with any kind of GPS device: use pocket queries.

Looking at the stories:

http://www.geocaching.com/lostandfound/stories.aspx

The story with ID #41 (shannienkitch nominated a log by Barnacle Bear for GC1VG1M) has a log with green text in it. I'm guessing that the story truncates before the green text ends/closes, so the remainder of the stories on that page continue to be green.

This happens because the closing tag for the BB code is behind the "more" link (on the full details page for the story, in other words) so the tag on that page doesn't get closed. We're going to display the BB code in plain text as a fix. It won't be very pretty but the only alternative for now is to disallow BB code in the logs on cache pages.

I tested after deleting browser cache, and I still get 500 error after submitting a cache log from field notes. Submitting a cache log from cache page (clicking "log your visit") has no issues.

At the same time, I noticed that log deletion page now gives me choices of "[Yes]" and "[No]" - are the square brackets necessary? Makes it look cluttered.

14703: Switch order of terrain and difficult rating selection on Pocket Query form

Now consistently displaying difficulty above terrain across the site

This is not true, Difficulty appears to the Left of Terrain on cache pages.

The "Lost & Found" ad is truly annoying.

Yes! Extremely so! I thought that, as a premium member, I wouldn't be subjected to ads! It's ugly, and annoying!

GreaseMonkey to the rescue...

or...

echo 0.0.0.0 www.facebook.com >> /etc/hosts

:(

oh wait, that was a diff thread.

Edited by dfx

ili0xt.jpg

This "Lost and Found" banner needs to go ASAP. One of the ugliest banners ever and it's more eye catching than the red banner notifying people that the site is going down.

Please, please, please, please get rid of it. It's bad. :(

Edited by simpjkee

There seems to be an unnecessary amount of space between the new facebook "Like It" link and the attributes.

In my opinion, the attributes are more important, so can they be moved back to were they were and the "like it" link down to say, below the bookmarks, which seems a more appropriate/related place for it.

This "Lost and Found" banner needs to go ASAP. One of the ugliest banners ever and it's more eye catching than the red banner notifying people that the site is going down.

Like I said, GreaseMonkey is your friend. Embrace the Monkey.

var allDivs, i;

allDivs = document.evaluate(
"//div[@class='LFNominateBanner']",
document,
null,
XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
null);

for (i = 0; i < allDivs.snapshotLength; i++) {
allDivs.snapshotItem(i).style.display = "none";
}

I'll be fixing the rest of my "nix white space" script to clean up the cache display page.

Wanted to check to see if the bug where the degree symbol appears in the input box has now been fixed when trying to edit co-ordinates for an existing waypoint but when I click on Edit on an existing waypoint on any of my listed caches, I now get a "404 - File or directory not found" error. Can some see if they can reproduce this error. I'm using Firefox 3.6.3.

At the risk of reigniting rumors that we hate greasemonkey scripts and baseball/apple pie, I'm going out on a limb here and saying this is a script you installed.

Edit: Just tested - this is something new. I'll take care of it.

Thanks for fixin' 'er up. This bug has been bothering me for a while - glad to see it's gone. :(

A lot of talk on Facebook about how one's real name appears on a cache page if you are the first one to click "Like". IMHO you should probably have warned people that their real name will forever be there. I am not one of the happy people. :( -verano

A lot of talk on Facebook about how one's real name appears on a cache page if you are the first one to click "Like". IMHO you should probably have warned people that their real name will forever be there. I am not one of the happy people. :( -verano

isn't everything on facebook with real name anyway? (which is one of the reasons why i'll never use facebook.)

And there appears to be no way to "un" like something once you've liked it. It used to be on FB you could just remove the liked comment, but gc seems to not see that, so comment removed from fb, like still shows on gc.

Like I said, GreaseMonkey is your friend. Embrace the Monkey.

var allDivs, i;

allDivs = document.evaluate(
"//div[@class='LFNominateBanner']",
document,
null,
XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE,
null);

for (i = 0; i < allDivs.snapshotLength; i++) {
allDivs.snapshotItem(i).style.display = "none";
}

I'll be fixing the rest of my "nix white space" script to clean up the cache display page.

Greasemonkey can only address the symptom. GS can address the problem.

And there appears to be no way to "un" like something once you've liked it. It used to be on FB you could just remove the liked comment, but gc seems to not see that, so comment removed from fb, like still shows on gc.

Just click the "Like" button again.

Yes, Facebook uses real names. But Geocaching never did, unless you chose to use your real name as your caching name. The point is that we were all kind of anonymous here, and now we are not. It was unexpected and there does not appear to be any way to remove one's name once it is there. -verano

Yes, Facebook uses real names. But Geocaching never did, unless you chose to use your real name as your caching name. The point is that we were all kind of anonymous here, and now we are not. It was unexpected and there does not appear to be any way to remove one's name once it is there. -verano

how is using your real name unexpected when you click a link that leads to facebook (and has the facebook icon) and that uses your facebook login credentials? O.o

Edited by dfx

Now running into a Server error..

I usually download the new .LOC files, then call-up each page, and download the .GPX file.. Except..... Every time I click on the "GPX File" button, I get:

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I noticed that the site navigation on the left side now consists of normal links instead of grey "buttons"! It looks really bad...

shift-f5 :(

(or whatever other keyboard shortcut your browser uses for shift-reload)

Edited by dfx

The "Lost & Found" ad is truly annoying.

Yes! Extremely so! I thought that, as a premium member, I wouldn't be subjected to ads! It's ugly, and annoying!

Let me add my vote for "ugly and annoying." It also seems to me that I recall something about "no ads" being part of the contract when I signed up as a Premium Member.