Geocaching & Divorce

I know one guy that lost his 12 year job had 2 kids and wife that didn't work because on Geocaching, and another that is going to counseling, and my guess is that it is because of Geocaching.

Problem is I know I should be in Counseling for Geocaching right now, but have not had time to go cause of all the FTFs that come out in my area.........I'll get there though :):unsure:

Scubasonic

I know some people who got divorced because of geocaching... one geocacher ran off with another geocacher's spouse.

It wasn't actually geocaching that caused the divorce, was it? I mean, it's not like one geocacher said to his or her spouse, "Honey, I'm leaving you. I'm running off with <name>, because he/she never hides lame micros like you do."

I know some people who got divorced because of geocaching... one geocacher ran off with another geocacher's spouse.

It wasn't actually geocaching that caused the divorce, was it? I mean, it's not like one geocacher said to his or her spouse, "Honey, I'm leaving you. I'm running off with <name>, because he/she never hides lame micros like you do."

Heh... well, no; not quite. :)

I can think of at least 6 cases like that, not all of them personally known to me in real life but all of them familiar names when the story broke. In one case, the abandoned husband posted "you stole my wife" notes on the new man's caches. :)

Not a divorce so much but I have a potential significant other in the making and geocaching might be the end of us. I don't mind sharing geocaching with him. I don't like him pouting when he can't go out and I go out without him. Or the "if you do them all there won't be any for 'us' to do" comments. And he's just a full throttle without giving thought to the cache type, size, difficulty or terrain wanting me to go with him to all these. I'm sorry but some days slogging through a bog or crawling up a giant hill of loose rock just doesn't turn me on. And he's not the most physically fit and has health problems and I'm not dragging him out of the woods when he collapses.

End of rant... but I could see how it can lead to divorce.

My wife has been known to ask me if I would quit the game if she asked, or what would I choose if it was her or caching, So far, I guess that I have said the right thing and she puts up some caching now and then. Although somehow she expects me to stay at home and fix the plumbing rather than go out and have fun.

It is ridiculous to allow geocaching to ruin a marriage. I would quit the game and throw my GPSr in a river if I thought it would come between my family or career. If my wife asked me to quit to save our relationship, I'd never open another ammo can in my life and wouldn't think twice or have any regret. (I might attent an event here and there.) Our relationship and lives were great before geocaching, so why not?

My wife has been known to ask me if I would quit the game if she asked, or what would I choose if it was her or caching, So far, I guess that I have said the right thing and she puts up some caching now and then. Although somehow she expects me to stay at home and fix the plumbing rather than go out and have fun.

It sounds like you could do a paraphrase of I'm Gonna Miss Her - just swap 'caching' for 'fishing' and 'FTF' for 'bite'.

If I had known that geocaching could cause divorce, I would have started geocaching MUCH sooner than I did.

:laughing:

I could totally see geocaching causing relationships to break up. "you're willing to spend 2 hours sweating and grunting to find 3 plastic boxes, yet you're too tired for a little quality time with me?" Yep, could see it happening.

Of course, not to us. :ph34r:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

It's a game for Pete's sake. When I've been caching for several days straight, my crew will start rolling their eyes when I mention that I "just want to grab this one while we're out." I know it's time to take a break.

As to the original question - if, God forbid, we were to get divorced, caching would be the least of my worries.