What do you take for food when you go out geocaching?

Over the past several months most of my caching runs have been on the order of 8 or more hours.

Bicycling, hiking or driving between caches (sorry Dave) I usually pack a litre or more of water, a banana (or two, for potassium), a source of protein (almonds, vegan jerky) and a source of energy (Clif bar.) Sometimes I'll even pack a small sandwich if I know I'll be gone all day or on a long, strenuous hike.

Long ago I learned the value of taking food which accounts well for its weight, rather than a bag of chips and a bottle of soda (which really does a body in.)

Recently found these little Jin Jin fruit coconut jelly things (~$3/jar) at an area asian grocery, perfect for a little energy and some water. Probably loved by kids as they're like a portable Jell-o you can take along (just remember to pack out the empty containers and recycle them, they are recyclables!)

---

So what do you take with you to fuel your caching runs?

Edited by DragonsWest

i cache by car, since most of my trips are 80+ miles oneway.

my fuel would be stops at restaurants along the way. i plan a highway route that swings through to a spot i'd like to try... or have already tried.

sorry, not the kashi bar and green tea you might have been looking for. :)

Recently found these little Jin Jin fruit coconut jelly things (~$3/jar) at an area asian grocery, perfect for a little energy and some water. Probably loved by kids as they're like a portable Jell-o you can take along (just remember to pack out the empty containers and recycle them, they are recyclables!)

You do recall that these things were responsible for a few choking deaths in the area, right? If I recall correctly, due to the gelatinous nature, the Heimlich maneuver doesn't work on it. Don't suck them in.

I like fig newtons for nostalgic reasons. I packed some when I went on long solo hikes many years ago.

On hikes I take (walking where there is no place to find food):

Enough water. Important!!!!!

I even limit my photo equipment to take more water.

In the places where I hike, in the Alps, the water springs water may not be drinkable because of the high mountain pastures

At least 2 litres for a 5 hours hike in the mountain in late spring. More in summer. according to the weather

Dry fruits, figs, apricots, etc.

Nuts.

cheese. and sometimes some dry saussage

Some sugar

No chocolate in summer :)

PIerre

You do recall that these things were responsible for a few choking deaths in the area, right? If I recall correctly, due to the gelatinous nature, the Heimlich maneuver doesn't work on it. Don't suck them in.

I like fig newtons for nostalgic reasons. I packed some when I went on long solo hikes many years ago.

I think the choking thing was with the smaller, round jellies. These are larger and square. When in doubt, use a spoon.

Fig Newmans FTW!

I have never brought food, but I do bring water. I have a water bladder in my pack with a drinking tube. I usually fill it with some Ice in it. That works out great. Nice cold water on the go, and it keeps you back cool while wearing the pack. It usually stays cold for a while.

I usually try to plan it out so that when we are traveling to a new spot to cache, we get some lunch some place.

I usually take a sugar-free electolyte drink in the hot weather. I like granola bars or a hig carb energy bar. When I was doing long distance trail runs I loved fig newtons. When hiking I will bring a banana (doesn't store to well on a run).

I usually take a sugar-free electolyte drink in the hot weather. I like granola bars or a hig carb energy bar. When I was doing long distance trail runs I loved fig newtons. When hiking I will bring a banana (doesn't store to well on a run).

Yeah, what's up with that. Someone needs to invent a banana safe. I can't count the number of times I've reached into the bottom of my backpack to find banana goo all over and into everything. Ick. Otherwise, bananas are a nearly perfect trail food.

I did a lot of long bike rides (85+ miles) on a banana, handful of raw almonds and half a Clif bar, until a few years ago.

Yeah, what's up with that. Someone needs to invent a banana safe.

They do have them.

banana.jpg

I just don't have one yet.

Yeah, what's up with that. Someone needs to invent a banana safe.

They do have them.

banana.jpg

I just don't have one yet.

Looks kinda-sorta OK, but I'd need one made of steel or aircraft aluminum.

Yeah, what's up with that. Someone needs to invent a banana safe. I can't count the number of times I've reached into the bottom of my backpack to find banana goo all over and into everything. Ick. Otherwise, bananas are a nearly perfect trail food.

I did a lot of long bike rides (85+ miles) on a banana, handful of raw almonds and half a Clif bar, until a few years ago.

i have packed my banana in a pencil box-protected it well

I bring water. Maybe a granola bar. I try to not eat a big meal while out caching (only after). I ate Mexican food before caching one day and it wasn't even 20 minutes later that I regretted it and it totally was not cute. Never found the cache we were looking for either. Lesson learned.

I bring water. Maybe a granola bar. I try to not eat a big meal while out caching (only after). I ate Mexican food before caching one day and it wasn't even 20 minutes later that I regretted it and it totally was not cute. Never found the cache we were looking for either. Lesson learned.

Been there. I generally eat a small breakfast before going out for a day of caching. We really do not require a lot of food for most activities, unless we're going on a big hike. Even then, it's better to start with a small meal and snack on protein/energy foods along the way. I'd start my 85+ mile bike days with a bowl of oatmeal with one shredded date mixed in. There's a lot of energy in there, ask any horse. :D

It's always good to know where facilities are, should they be required (especially with kids along.) I do keep a small roll of paper in an M&M tube for those longer hikes, because 5 miles from anywhere is a bad place to be caught without when nature calls. :(

Edited by DragonsWest

I pack whatever I have in cubbard if going on day outing then pack a lunch to picnic for us and boys but if just running out for cache or two or three then keep some fruit snacks in our Geocache bag for little pick me up when boys need it and of course our water bottles. =)

I pack whatever I have in cubbard if going on day outing then pack a lunch to picnic for us and boys but if just running out for cache or two or three then keep some fruit snacks in our Geocache bag for little pick me up when boys need it and of course our water bottles. =)

What gets packed depends on where the caching trip is taking us! If we're doing city caching, then sometimes I rely on take out or one of my favorite restaurants. If the trip is heading us out into the boonies, I make awful sure that starvation is not going to happen... :(

In colder weather, I've been known to pack thermos' with hot homemade soup or stew, sandwiches and snacks.

One of our recent caching trips was intended to be a long haul, we started 120 miles from home at 8 am and worked our way back. I volunteered to keep us well fed for the day so I packed all the makings for taco salad. Good thing I packed lots too, since we ended up having leftovers for dinner and then kept on caching until it got too dark ...someone :D didn't pack flashlights... :D

Oh, and since we had two geodogs along, who are both on different dogfood diets, two sets of doggie food as well.

In car snacks are a must for between caches.

Instead of trying to figure out how much water to take, I keep a pack of bottled water in the cachemobile as well as jugs of tap water for the dogs.

I consider it to be survival gear....I won't be surviving a caching trip if'n I'm not kept well fed.. :D

I can be out for a long time in the Arizona Desert hiking or dirt biking or Mt biking. Depending on the expected temps I'll carry over a gallon of fluids. For example, 72 oz. bladder, 1 qt & 1 pt nalgenes with water & 1 qt Gatorade. I've ran out of fluids a few times but always in reach of my truck where more fluids await. I'll carry water purification tablets so if I'm not near I can hopefully get some. Some of the desert here is riddled with springs and wells if you know where to look. I do pay attention to how far out I am and how much drink I have left.

For food, I usually have a couple of Nature Valley crunchy granola bars along just in case. They are filling, light, and easy to carry. For the food, if it's a cooler time of year I'll throw a simple bologna & cheese sandwich in the pack. For hotter times, I'll throw a peanut butter & jelly sandwich in.

Food? Who brings food?

If I'm out caching, the last thing I really think of is food. My metabolism is set up so I can go a whole day without eating if I'm active.

Aside from that, you touch so much yuckiness while caching. Why would you want your hands near your food after that? And don't give me the garbage about always carrying hand sanitizer. No sane person really carries hand sanitizer everywhere.

Food? Who brings food?

If I'm out caching, the last thing I really think of is food. My metabolism is set up so I can go a whole day without eating if I'm active.

Wish I could do that, but after about 5 hours my blood sugar starts to go out of whack. If I don't have something to eat then I'll really start to suffer. Doesn't have to be much, even carrot sticks.

I'm pretty artful about eating without fingers coming into contact with food - some of those caches are pretty yuck, but even more so is all the salt I'll have on my hands.

I was fascinated to learn the cornish and welsh miners in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan only ate the contents of Pasties and threw away the crust as the crust was there for their dirty, dusty hands to hold, while they ate the goodies backed inside. When I was a kiddo visiting the area we ate the whole pasty. So there's an option.

Food? Who brings food?

Aside from that, you touch so much yuckiness while caching. Why would you want your hands near your food after that? And don't give me the garbage about always carrying hand sanitizer. No sane person really carries hand sanitizer everywhere.

Even if you do carry it most people don't realize that if you're grossly contaminated it really does no good and unless you're good about handwashing in streams or whatever you will be grossly contaminated out caching.

I agree when I'm actively caching I don't think of food anymore for the most part. Afterwards I'll usually be hungry. But like I said after the Mexican food coming back with a vengeance I try to avoid eating any real meal before.

You know, I didn't mention this earlier, but when I saw this thread, the first thing I thought was "ashnike is at it again".

I don't usually bring food if I'm out for a few hours of urban caching. Sometimes I might, if I anticipate hanging around for some time at a cache site. I always bring food (mentioned earlier) and water when out for a cache that involves a hike of an hour or more though.

fruit, like apples.Ive been known to get them dirty with my filthy hands while caching and eating at the same time but who cares about a little fresh earth?

Granola bars travel well too.i keep water in the vehicle as well.

With all the mountain trails I have been cache hiking on lately Ive seen allot of pistachio shells.I have heard they are a complete protein and that you can live on them for a while so I can see how they are a good trail/survival food.

I have been meaning to try take some on a hike.they seem durable as well.

wonder about the salt content though.

With all the mountain trails I have been cache hiking on lately Ive seen allot of pistachio shells.I have heard they are a complete protein and that you can live on them for a while so I can see how they are a good trail/survival food.

You can get just the "meat" of the pistachios. It's not as fun, but it's lighter (obviously), easier to eat, and you don't have to pack out the shells. You can get them unsalted as well.

I just eat the tasty snacks people leave in geocaches.

I thought you just chew the heads off other geocachers? :(

No, no, that makes for a very unpleasant day of caching for everyone. I chew people's heads off in my workshop, on rainy days when I don't want to cache.

Over the past several months most of my caching runs have been on the order of 8 or more hours.

Bicycling, hiking or driving between caches (sorry Dave) I usually pack a litre or more of water, a banana (or two, for potassium), a source of protein (almonds, vegan jerky) and a source of energy (Clif bar.) Sometimes I'll even pack a small sandwich if I know I'll be gone all day or on a long, strenuous hike.

Long ago I learned the value of taking food which accounts well for its weight, rather than a bag of chips and a bottle of soda (which really does a body in.)

---

So what do you take with you to fuel your caching runs?

I carry a litre of water and some trail bars in my geo-bag. If I am going to be out for a long time, and away from restaurants, I'll pack some sandwiches - normally Peanut Butter as I don't have to worry about the contents going bad in the heat of the day (like with egg salad or lunch meat).

You can get just the "meat" of the pistachios. It's not as fun, but it's lighter (obviously), easier to eat, and you don't have to pack out the shells. You can get them unsalted as well.

thanks!

I'm one of the people who likes, nay, loves dried seaweed. Usually called Nori. I've done some reading up on it it it looks like a great trail food. High in protein, minerals and vitamins. I can find it in Teriyaki and Wasabi flavors. It's extremely light and easy to carry in even a small pack, like a hydration pack pocket.

I usually keep Nori or Norimake (seaweed wrapped rice crackers) around my desk for snacks at work, but am now thinking I should be packing this along for longer hikes. Good stuff!

I'm one of the people who likes, nay, loves dried seaweed. Usually called Nori. I've done some reading up on it it it looks like a great trail food. High in protein, minerals and vitamins. I can find it in Teriyaki and Wasabi flavors. It's extremely light and easy to carry in even a small pack, like a hydration pack pocket.

I usually keep Nori or Norimake (seaweed wrapped rice crackers) around my desk for snacks at work, but am now thinking I should be packing this along for longer hikes. Good stuff!

Now ya got me thinking I should bring some rice balls on those longer trips. The Nori could be used to completely wrap them.

I like adding Wasabi to the rice, putting Wasabi peas and Wasabi peanuts in the balls and serving with Wasabi mustard. All that Wasabi will help it keep in hot weather.

Gotta find that Wasabi Nori and see if it over does it. :laughing:

Our first trip we took sandwich fixings and chips plus a case of water. We pack granola bars for hikes.

Last week we picked up a bucket of chicken to eat with a veggie salad and rolls- came in handy since I got sidelined with a kidney stone and couldn't cook. I was thinking about making those meat pastries for the next trip. I think those could be frozen and heated that morning. ...maybe we'll try heating them on the car engine. I saw a show once where they cooked hamburger patties that way. My kids would get a kick out of this

I normally do 10-30 mile bike rides to get my caches... sometimes do a 5mile hike to pick up a handful.

Normally i bring 2 litters of water.

And a little box of oatmeal, like just 100% pure oatmeal, no sugar, no packet, just oats. just add a bit of water and eat away!

Fills you up QUICK and it is very healthy...

Sometimes ill bring an apple or banana, but i dislike all the extra weight, its no fun when you are already carry 6 TBs on you and they are wrenches LOL