did you hide one within eyesight of your house or work?

ive found a few over the past few days that have been hidden by the hiders house or place of work, and i know they are watching me find their caches, this makes me feel a little silly, especially when i cant find the cache,

have you been one of these people? how often do you "catch" cachers looking for your hide?

was your motivation to sit around and watch cachers, or do you go catch them in the action and introduce yourself to them?

I have one. And I have my paint ball gun set up for target practice!

Just kidding. That's all I need to do is hurt 2 fun games. Geocaching and paintball.

There is one I am going to set up. Its not too far from my house. I have another that is close to my dads, but you can't see the cachers retrieving it.

I'm thinking about setting one up by my house.

Mostly the reasoning is that it is a good place to safely leave travel bugs, and since we live in a tourist town that might be a plus.

We have one set up outside of my Mom's store and she is not a geocacher but enjoys watching people look for it and also meeting some of them when they come to ask her for a hint :)

One near my house, but not in view. I thought about lurking in the bushes after placing it to watch the FTFers come by, but who knows just how fast people will race out to find one? So I went to sleep, while people ran out in the middle of the night for the find. I'm sure it was amusing, from reading the logs.

There is a cache hidden by someone else across the street from my work, none that close to my house since it's in a crowded subdivision, but I did hide one about 6 feet from the bus stop where I get on to ride into work. It's rather amusing seeing all the muggles so very close to it and not knowing it's there. I'm waiting for the day when the bus pulls up to the stop to see someone wandering around with a GPS in hand.

ive found a few over the past few days that have been hidden by the hiders house or place of work, and i know they are watching me find their caches, this makes me feel a little silly, especially when i cant find the cache,

have you been one of these people? how often do you "catch" cachers looking for your hide?

was your motivation to sit around and watch cachers, or do you go catch them in the action and introduce yourself to them?

I have one thats 325 Feet from our back door. Its in a park that our yard backs up to. Never seen any one there. I have met some of our FTF Hounds here in Fort Worth at a couple of my other caches.

I haveacache inside of 300 feet from my house. I've caught a couple people searching, I've gone over and said hello each time.

Same for me. In my case it's located in a small park across the road from where I live but I can't quite see the actual location from inside the house. I've caught maybe 3-4 people searching for as I was coming/leaving home out of the 163 people that have found it.

I've tried it twice at the business plaza where I have my office, and both were within view of the window at my desk. The first time the cache was muggled after having several times been put back incorrectly (cacher laziness) and someone then seeing/grabbing it. The second time it was clearly indicated in the description as one you could get without leaving the sidewalk with notes about staying out of the property and not ripping up the flower beds nearby. That didn't work as several cachers ripped up plants and worse. So there's not much of a chance of there being a third time. We have some local cachers who when they go after your cache you can pretty much know that they've messed something up and it will require maintenance (I'm convinced it is from rushing for the numbers and outright carelessness). :)

My first hide was inches from the front door where I worked. There was an unused alarm keypad mounted in the wall, and it had a rain canopy over it, the Cache was attached to the canopy. I used a mint tin that the boss had given me. since I could access it every day, and it was protected from the rain, it worked out very well. That was a fun one.

"Thanks Boss"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a6-2fc523b13b2a

We have a cacher in my area that has one in his front yard and one on the side of the house. He has a pretty big yard. Most people will park in his extra long and steep driveway and walk around the house to get to it. There is a motion activated sprinkler in the front yard that will catch you off guard if you walk through the grass. It was a blast but I felt uneasy going for the cache even though I knew the guy.

edit: for clarity

Edited by cw1710

i have one outside of my work, my boss gave me permission to do whatever i wanted so i went all out on the construction. its fun to see people wander around while sitting at my "desk"... another time i just happened to be walking by one of my newest most difficult hides and came across a group looking for it, all newbs but i knew one of them a few feet from them she reconized me and i pointed at it as i kept walking. gave me quite a chuckle.

At one of the more humorous ones that I've found, the coords at the first stage are posted in the window of an office building.

I've actually considered doing that for a cache where I work. My second floor office overlooks a small courtyard

where one could easily see a sign placed in my window if they looked in the right direction. Unfortunately someone placed a cache a few hundred feet away.

We know of a cache that is a TB hotel. The log is on the porch of the house and the cache is inside the home of the CO. The CO goes around to the local caches, collects up the TBs, and brings them to his home , the TBs bring cachers to his house. We wanted to find the cache but thought it was odd and decided against it. Kinda creepy to be hiding things in your home for people you dont know to find...

I got one that is about 10 feet from my front door, right in front of my living room window. I usually cheer the people on, and if they are having a hard time. I give them a "bump" in the right direction. My cache is different though...EASY to spot....Hard to get down....Unless you have the geotool that is hidden in my yard somewhere :laughing:

I love meeting other cachers! I will introduce myself everytime, I have not met one single grumpy gus either. Most all the cachers have been overly friendly.

You just described what I refer to as a "marker cache". I have one, 40 m away from my house, and if I spot a cacher looking for it, it's simply because I got lucky.

Edited by DENelson83

We know of a cache that is a TB hotel. The log is on the porch of the house and the cache is inside the home of the CO. The CO goes around to the local caches, collects up the TBs, and brings them to his home , the TBs bring cachers to his house. We wanted to find the cache but thought it was odd and decided against it. Kinda creepy to be hiding things in your home for people you dont know to find...

Oh...you mean this cache? You know, you should post for yourself instead of doing the bidding for Captain America and his little brother...just saying. :ph34r:

Edited by Arthur & Trillian
Irondale Pit Stop is on my front porch. My contact info is on the listing. Some folks call, most don't. I hear the rather noisy latch of the over-size ammo can at all hours of the day and night. I don't open the door and bother them unless they call or knock. Most do. Interestingly many have logged it when I was at home and I never heard them. Now that's stealth caching!

Irondale Pit Stop is on my front porch. My contact info is on the listing. Some folks call, most don't. I hear the rather noisy latch of the over-size ammo can at all hours of the day and night. I don't open the door and bother them unless they call or knock. Most do. Interestingly many have logged it when I was at home and I never heard them. Now that's stealth caching!

I've noticed that about the one in front of my house too. People can be very quiet! And I keep my window open most of the time while I'm working. Either that or I just concentrate heavily.

We just grabbed a cache this weekend that was in Park Rapids, MN...in front of a small tourist shop. We could see the lady watching us so we smiled and waved...she gave us a hint of where it WASN'T and then continued to watch us. We didn't mind...in fact, I love watching others look for caches I've already found...I consider it all part of the fun.

When my hubby came up with the find I yelled to her (nicely, just so she could hear me :ph34r: ), "But I looked there!" "Yeah, I know" she answered...and we all had a great laugh!

In my opinion, that made the cache unforgettable!

Since I am a courier and work all over the place, Hiding one near work wouldn't work.

I also live on the 15th floor of my building. At ground level the GPS bounces around quite a bit due to all the tall buildings placed so close together.

Still trying to work on it though.

No not that cache but if you have one like that, a finder would probably be creeped out having you watch them find it, but seeing how you are in person you would of probably hid nearby until they went away... just saying.

Oh...you mean this cache? You know, you should post for yourself instead of doing the bidding for Captain America and his little brother...just saying. :ph34r:

One of my very first caches in 2001 was a cache that was actually hidden in the fence around my backyard, which was adjacent to a tricky little neighborhood park that was surrounded on all sides by backyards - most of which had very nervous and noisy dogs in them. There is a narrow, well hidden driveway that allows public access to the park, but it's easy to overlook, and there is no way to get in without alerting the canine sentries. I have since sold the home and moved away, but the cache is still in the park. I had a great time when I lived there because once the dogs started barking, my own dog would join in and I could sneak out into my backyard with my camera and take pictures of folks as they found my cache. I met a lot of people that way, and got some fun photos. I have never done the research, but considering that was Utah's 100th geocache, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the first cache set up for that purpose. Either way, it's certainly been part of a trend.

I'm not sure if it's an old "geo" wives tale, but I had heard of a CO that had a multi where stage one was in front of the house. If you were "seen" he would take your picture rather "stealthily". Stage two was quite a ways away and the final was near stage one. When you left stage one he would take your pic and place it in the final. I'm sure there were some pretty surprised cachers with that one.

No not that cache but if you have one like that, a finder would probably be creeped out having you watch them find it, but seeing how you are in person you would of probably hid nearby until they went away... just saying.

Oh...you mean this cache? You know, you should post for yourself instead of doing the bidding for Captain America and his little brother...just saying. :D

Yep, you're right. I am totally horrible and all the positive logs prove it...just like your little boyfriend is just misunderstood as well, eh? ;)