coin held for 6 months

terencem

I have a Geocoin (TB2Z3DH) which was released here in the UK and very quickly made it's way over to Utah. It was retrieved from a cache in November and is still showing as being held by the same cacher after six months.

I sent him/her a polite E mail in March enquiring if the coin was still OK and did he intend to release it soon,and I then re-sent the same E mail last week. As yet I have had no reply to either E mail.

Has anyone any advice as to where I could go from here?

I have a Geocoin (TB2Z3DH) which was released here in the UK and very quickly made it's way over to Utah. It was retrieved from a cache in November and is still showing as being held by the same cacher after six months.

I sent him/her a polite E mail in March enquiring if the coin was still OK and did he intend to release it soon,and I then re-sent the same E mail last week. As yet I have had no reply to either E mail.

Has anyone any advice as to where I could go from here?

Sad as it may seem, you might have to consider it missing. I have been in this position before as well. Some of mine have resurfaced, some have not. You have sent a couple of emails to him, and have gotten no response. I am not sure what else you could do.

The person who picked up your traveller in November has not logged any finds since that same day. In addition, it has been over two months since that cacher even visited the geocaching website. However, there is one bit of optimism:

I looked at the caches that he has hidden. One is archived, but the other one was temprarily disabled in November. His note says, "Need to do some maintenance. Check back 5/2010." Perhaps his location or other circumstances prohibit him from caching until Spring/Summer time kicks in again? Don't give up all hope of your traveller resurfacing, but at the same time, don't lose too much sleep either. Sending travellers out exposes all of them to the same risk of abandonment/theft/misplacement.

Well,

Checking his profile shows that he was on today, so he is "active", but maybe your emails from gc.com are going to his spam or he IS ignoring you.

Try a " write a note" on one of his cache pages.

He'll at least know for sure your trying to contact him.

good Luck

opalsns

Well,

Checking his profile shows that he was on today, so he is "active", but maybe your emails from gc.com are going to his spam or he IS ignoring you.

Try a " write a note" on one of his cache pages.

He'll at least know for sure your trying to contact him.

good Luck

opalsns

you're not checking the right profile

the person holding on to his TB hasn't found a cache since november 29 2009 when he actually picked up the TB and last time they logged in was April 1st 2010

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=00...d7-fe085903a6b7

Edited by t4e

Unfortunately this happens. Your coin is picked up by someone who only caches a dozen times a year (in this case 36 finds in 4 years) or never goes caching again after making the grab. If you're lucky it gets passed on to another cacher and finds its way back into the tracking system and is on the road again or after a long hiatus the current holder finishes what they started and drops it in a nearby cache. There is no way to predict or move these things along. You can nudge, request, beseech and beg but you have no control after you release your traveler.

Thanks for the replies guys. I know the risks of releasing Coins and Travel bugs and have a few missing from caches, but find it less acceptable when a traveller has been logged out of a cache and kept for an abnormally long time.

On a positive note my forum question may have had some effect as the cacher has today logged into his account so maybe someone who knows him has been in touch.

Thanks for the replies guys. I know the risks of releasing Coins and Travel bugs and have a few missing from caches, but find it less acceptable when a traveller has been logged out of a cache and kept for an abnormally long time.

On a positive note my forum question may have had some effect as the cacher has today logged into his account so maybe someone who knows him has been in touch.

There you go !!!!!!

hmm i doubt anyone contacted him, he did log a find in Slovenia but didn't drop your coin

Edited by t4e

Good luck. Keep being nice as threats won't get you anywhere (not that you've stated that you would go that route).

Offer to send him an envelope, pre-paid, to return it to you.

Change the name of the coin to STOLEN.

Pray.

All viable options. Keep in mind that sometimes people get embarrassed that they've forgotten about holding it for a long time and they may just be trying to find a place to drop it now.