To Be or Not Be

Merlin-K

Geocaching was supposed to be a cheap hobby. Then I discovered geocoins! As someone who already collects Masonic jewels, starting to collect geocoins was a logical step. But I am unsure as to whether or not I should register coins that I am not planning on sending travelling but rather keeping for my collection.

I can see that not registering leaves the coin pristine in a sense. However registering means that you can effectively show your collection on the site as the icons will show in your profile.

What do others do?

Geocaching was supposed to be a cheap hobby. Then I discovered geocoins! As someone who already collects Masonic jewels, starting to collect geocoins was a logical step. But I am unsure as to whether or not I should register coins that I am not planning on sending travelling but rather keeping for my collection.

I can see that not registering leaves the coin pristine in a sense. However registering means that you can effectively show your collection on the site as the icons will show in your profile.

What do others do?

It doesn't seem to matter so much these days, but as a general principle I don't activate coins.

its all down to personal choice. i activate most of my coins, i like to collect a certain themed coin which is part of a larger non coin collection of that theme. i activate all my coins because i know i will want to keep them even if i tire of geocaching and geocoins.

i just get puzzled at some of the thoughts on here. if you collect something because you have a genuine interest in that theme, why would you worry about keeping the coins pristine incase you tire of them? if you like the theme you keep it whether or not you are still into geocoins.

some peoples ideas are so weird.

it just seems that your interest in a themed collection must only hold current hobby items, if you quit a hobby it seems you have to get rid of part of your main themed hobby.

silly idea

i really hope that makes sense it does in my head but then im a stressed out mother in the am.

It's a personal preference I suppose. I was leaning towards activating them - my Masonic jewels aren't pristine after all - but I was wondering what the norm is.

Value does come in to it. I might not be collecting because of their worth but something that is one of 25 will certainly be rare in fifty years time. I am aware of these antique programmes when they look at an old toy and say how much it would be worth if it was still in the pack. But then I have never understood why people collect wine and don't drink it - a three hundred year old bottle of wine is worthless to me if you can't drink it!

Who are you collecting for?

You?..... don't activate and enjoy your coins

Others?.... activate and bring to events so others can discover them and enjoy them too.

Icons?.... activate and enjoy your coins, your icons and bring to events so others can do same.

Treasure in the attic?.... I wouldn't bet on it.

That was the answer I needed. Yes, having others discover them is a nice idea which I hadnt thought of. And it would also be nice to have the icons. So activate and enjoy it is.

(Nothing wrong with dreaming that one day they will be worth a fortune though :-))

Who are you collecting for?

You?..... don't activate and enjoy your coins

Others?.... activate and bring to events so others can discover them and enjoy them too.

Icons?.... activate and enjoy your coins, your icons and bring to events so others can do same.

Treasure in the attic?.... I wouldn't bet on it.

Excellent answer. This is my philosphy exactly :)