Acceptable, and less then accpetable cache types etc

mchaos

I was thinking, and I thought about some of the poor choices of cache containers that some people put out there that may resemble something like a bomb.

i.g. PVC tube.

These make poor containers not only because they don't seal well unless they are cranked completely tight, in which case you cannot get it open without a wrench, but because they look too much like a pipe bomb.

So I wondered why there wasn't a link, or a step in the posting process for cache containers. Ones that are acceptable, and ones that should not be used for obvious reasons. A page that shows a few basic containers as acceptable, for example: Ammo can, Lock and lock, bison tubes. then a few ones people should steer clear of using such as a home mad container made of PVC, ABS or ones made of electrical boxes near live electrical boxes and explain why.

Just to get across the point of, "try not to use any container that can be mistaken for a bomb" with an example of them, that is mandatory to navigate through to get to the cache submission page.

I think something like that will help lessen the likely-hood of seeing a cache blown up by a bomb squad because it looked like a pipe bomb.

I was thinking, and I thought about some of the poor choices of cache containers that some people put out there that may resemble something like a bomb.

i.g. PVC tube.

These make poor containers not only because they don't seal well unless they are cranked completely tight, in which case you cannot get it open without a wrench, but because they look too much like a pipe bomb.

So I wondered why there wasn't a link, or a step in the posting process for cache containers. Ones that are acceptable, and ones that should not be used for obvious reasons. A page that shows a few basic containers as acceptable, for example: Ammo can, Lock and lock, bison tubes. then a few ones people should steer clear of using such as a home mad container made of PVC, ABS or ones made of electrical boxes near live electrical boxes and explain why.

Just to get across the point of, "try not to use any container that can be mistaken for a bomb" with an example of them, that is mandatory to navigate through to get to the cache submission page.

I think something like that will help lessen the likely-hood of seeing a cache blown up by a bomb squad because it looked like a pipe bomb.

I use PVC pipe, with a valve attached, or some other clever work. I don't have any problem with "leaks" and it holds up much better to "Weathering" than most all other containers. Even Amo cans (Which can rust).

As far as mistaking it for a bomb.... Not with mine... I have several geocaching stickers stuck on it to clearly define that this is in fact a Geocache & not a bomb.

In our neck of the woods, it is now a city ordinance that requires that ALL geocaches placed on PUBLIC property MUST have a label on the OUTSIDE of the container that clearly defines it as a geocache.

TGC

As far as mistaking it for a bomb.... Not with mine... I have several geocaching stickers stuck on it to clearly define that this is in fact a Geocache & not a bomb.

Nothing can stop someone from building a bomb and slapping a few Geocaching stickers on it. If someone calls 911 because they spot your cache & and says "hey, I think there's a bomb over there" the police will assume it's a bomb until they can conclusively prove otherwise - but by then, it'll be too late for your cache.

So I wondered why there wasn't a link, or a step in the posting process for cache containers. Ones that are acceptable, and ones that should not be used for obvious reasons.

Because to do just that would most likely "corral" cache hiders. The idea behind all of the hides/technique/types/styles is to allow the use of the hiders' imagination. It is far better to leave that open-ended.

The problem comes up with the last part of that sentence, because "obvious" ≠ "common sense" to quite a few. :)

<snip> (things that look/do not look like bombs).

Nothing can stop someone from building a bomb and slapping a few Geocaching stickers on it. If someone calls 911 because they spot your cache & and says "hey, I think there's a bomb over there" the police will assume it's a bomb until they can conclusively prove otherwise - but by then, it'll be too late for your cache.

That's objectively true, but in practice:

1. People tend to believe what they see written, especially if it's on an official-looking sticker. Heck, people believe what they read in newspapers. Or the Internet. :) The authority conveyed by the simple fact of something not being handwritten is a remarkable testament to, er, something psychological.

2. Bomb makers haven't cottoned on to geocaching just yet - or at least (and more importantly), there have been no lurid media headlines about it happening.

So the stickers will definitely reduce the chances of the object getting called in, even though it's for all the wrong reasons. I say, let's take advantage when human irrationality actually works in our favour for once. :unsure:

(And I agree that, once the guys with the thick body armour arrive, your cache is toast.)

I'm amazed this thread hasn't been moved to Geocaching Topics yet!

In our neck of the woods, it is now a city ordinance that requires that ALL geocaches placed on PUBLIC property MUST have a label on the OUTSIDE of the container that clearly defines it as a geocache.

TGC

Where do you get geocaching decals for the blinkies? :)

Ammo cans are unacceptable, of course. Bison tubes are designed to look like little hand grenades, don't use those. No lock-n-locks or other suspiciously-sized packages, either. Always use the container that people love the most: the 35mm film canister. It's perfect. :)

At least the city is recognizing & allowing caching, instead of banning/restricting it.

Many of the cache types you describe are certainly a bad idea but some others are commonly accepted.

Simple fact is that there is no rule or guideline that prohibts you from using just about any container in just about any location.

I was working on a database of cache containrs until the project got sidetracked but maybe I should get it up and running. A chief component would be to allow geocachers to 'rate' containers and add thier own comments and experiences. Then the site could link to it as 'user suggestions'.

there is no rule or guideline that prohibts you from using just about any container in just about any location
While I like the idea of reminding people to be aware of issues with various containers, a prohibition is a bad idea. If taken to extremes (does that ever happen? :) ), it could even eliminate existing caches that are now a banned style.

A big part of the design of a cache is weighing the pros and cons of potential containers. With each hide, there is the perfect container for it. And maybe in only one place on earth, a fake electrical box next to a real electrical box will be perfect.

Edited by kunarion

Im not saying disallow containers, only suggest against some. PVC tubes, from a distance look like pipe bombs. If you use a threaded cap, it will leak. I have nothing against PVC tubing that is make to look like plumbing. Just the ones that are tubes alone.

I put this in this section because its a suggestion for the site.

Putting a fake electrical box next to a live one is asking for some one to get zapped. I have no problem with a fake outlet or something like that as long as its not close to something live that a person can get into and get zapped.

I think the cache posting page should have some kind of visual warning about placing a cache. At least a pick of a lock and lock saying good cache container, and a pic of a home made PVC pipe and say, looks too much like a pipe bomb, and may not be a good choice of container.

The point should not be whether they are good containers, but rather: where they are, or are not, good containers.

There are many excellent PVC tube caches nearby. Done properly, they can be waterproof. Hidden in the right place, no one is going to know. (Unless someone really wants to blow up a boulder a mile into the woods.) Hidden in the wrong place, they can cause problems.

An outright condemnation based on little experience seems rather silly. Myself, I would not hide a cache in a weephole in a wall. But I would call for a ban on them, either.

Spent a while the other day in CostCo looking at potential cache containers. Mostly plastic food containers, wide mouth, all plastic, reasonably rigid. I think clear is a good idea. As I get more involved in this stuff, I'm inclined toward smaller caches, less "junk" and more about caching in an area that's a challenge to get to rather than hiding in a sneaky spot.

But then I'm not in an urban area and have open space to play in.