Treasure Chest Cache?

Followers 0

I was wondering what everyone's feelings are about treasure chest caches. I have a multicache that would end quite nicely with a cache in the form of a treasure chest, but I am worried about durability with the elements and whatnot as it's going to be in a wooded area. Is there anything I should look for? Is there a way I can take one of those plastic chests found in dentists' offices and fix it up so it can last longer outside? Your help and advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Like this one?

tc.jpg

It is a private cache. 1"x2" held together with waterproof wood glue and wax polished.

I occasionally bring it home and pop it in the oven at gradually ramping up to 150 and add more wax.

I have not tested it to the elements during the winter but it held up to the cold.

I figure another 2 or three oven treatments plus a L-N-L and it will be ready for public usage.

Like this one?

tc.jpg

It is a private cache. 1"x2" held together with waterproof wood glue and wax polished.

I occasionally bring it home and pop it in the oven at gradually ramping up to 150 and add more wax.

I have not tested it to the elements during the winter but it held up to the cold.

I figure another 2 or three oven treatments plus a L-N-L and it will be ready for public usage.

Cool! :)

A Lock n Lock or waterproof container inside the treasure chest would be very suitable. The treasure chest may weather a bit, but if it's sturdy, you don't need to worry about anything.

Thank you for your help, that's what I had originally thought thanks

Like this one?

tc.jpg

That is awesome! I can only hope my cache will look half as nice :)

Like this one?

tc.jpg

I like that! What have you done to seal in between the wood pieces? Chinking?

Like this one?

tc.jpg

That's really nice.

I also agree that Fiberglass resin might help. Even GP or casting resin.

I would build it just like you did (or try to do it as well as you did)

And then mix General Purpose resin with lots of acetone and let it soak into the wood.

I'm guessing you 'aged' it using a torch?

I love finding ammo cans but I would rather find something like your cache.

Again, very nice.

Edited by brslk

That's really nice.

I also agree that Fiberglass resin might help. Even GP or casting resin.

I would build it just like you did (or try to do it as well as you did)

And then mix General Purpose resin with lots of acetone and let it soak into the wood.

I'm guessing you 'aged' it using a torch?

I love finding ammo cans but I would rather find something like your cache.

Again, very nice.

I thought of resin too late, but its ok, all that wax gives it that old time texture and the next one will be waxed as well.

Yes I used a torch on it and made some mistakes, but I suck when it comes to stain.

Burnishing the wood bring out the grain nicely when all goes well.

I learned a lot wile making it and came up with a few ideas after.

It hit me after I had the first two sides glued that I should have squared the lumber then put a slight bevel on the outward edges. It was difficult keeping the sides flat and I didn't completely succeed.

I also should have over cut every section, then glued, then cut the edges to size. The whole thing is wobbly on a flat surface and it is not square on any corner.

Predistressing the lumber would have been a good idea to add that aged look.

Brass nails instead of brass brads.

Beeswax and hemp fiber chinking instead of a paraffin fill.

Smaller dimensioned lumber, wile making lid construction harder will make sealing it easier.

Rout groves into the lid and body so silicone spline can be placed to help keep water out.