Deciding cache size

Super Naitos

Hi

I enjoy making caches, and camouflaging. My question is what size would you log a micro (film canister)if it is embedded in a good sized log? Put it as a ? I don't think cachers are too keen to hunt for a micro in the woods, and may ignore looking for it.

Thank you.

I love geocaching, it is taking over my life, but in a good way :laughing:

I'd go with "unknown"

the only problem with that is that people will just assume that you hide your micros as unknowns and smalls to keep them in people's PQs. people will probably get your unknowns and smalls out of their PQs if they don't like micros, and possibly even put all of your caches on their ignore list. Your choice, but what decides what cache size it is isn't how it's hidden, it's the size of the container that holds the logbook directly.

I'd go with "unknown"

the only problem with that is that people will just assume that you hide your micros as unknowns and smalls to keep them in people's PQs. people will probably get your unknowns and smalls out of their PQs if they don't like micros, and possibly even put all of your caches on their ignore list. Your choice, but what decides what cache size it is isn't how it's hidden, it's the size of the container that holds the logbook directly.

So if I understand you correctly:

1. Drill a hole in a log and pop in a small vial and it's a micro.

2. Drill a hole in a log and put a cap on the hole and it's a large.

Sorry, I'm sticking with unknown.

I disagree. I think the container size should be based on the volume of the actual space there is to put the log and swag. So if you drill a small space in a big item I still call it a micro. Just my opinion.

First of all, a micro is a micro is a micro. Be it hidden under a park bench, in a hole in the tree or in the Tokyo Dome. It's still a micro regardless of what the micro is hidden within!

You should always hide just what you would want to look for. If a micro-in-the-woods is your cup of tea, go for it.

But of all things, be truthful with what you do. Don't go hiding behind something like an "Unknown" symbol for cripes sake.

Right within the Cache Submission Report, you specify what size cache it is, yes? Their example of a micro is "e.g. 35mm film canister" -- but you want to specify something that it is not, because it IS just that. To me (and others, I am guessing) that is nothing other than a flat-out lie.

I enjoy making caches, and camouflaging.

I do have to ask you though, just what does this hide have to do with "camouflage"? This isn't camouflaging, this is "hiding". Not the same, at all.

Hide, yes; hide behind, no!

When I design a hide such as this, the container size is listed as "Unknown" but I will give hints/clues as to what to look for.

"You are looking for a cleverly camoed micro." or words to that effect. To me theses are "challenges" that say "I'm going to test your powers of observation".

When I design a hide such as this, the container size is listed as "Unknown" but I will give hints/clues as to what to look for.

This is why I usually filter out "unknown" size. It is widely used to 'shield' the fact that it is just another micro.

I see nothing terribly unique or challenging (seems ordinary to me) about the described hide. It is so clearly just a micro. I have found at least 2 dozen over the years.

I'd go with "unknown"

So if I understand you correctly:

1. Drill a hole in a log and pop in a small vial and it's a micro.

Sorry, I'm sticking with unknown.

That is my feeling. If the container and camouflage are one piece, use the entire object as the size. If the container is meant to be removed from the camouflage then use size of the container itself.

The chief reason we want to now the size is to have an idea as to what we are looking for. If you tell me it's a micro I'm not checking that 12 inch high rock.

The chief reason we want to now the size is to have an idea as to what we are looking for. If you tell me it's a micro I'm not checking that 12 inch high rock.

This is one of the few areas where briansnat and I disagree totally.

You see - I would tun over that 12 inch high rock to look for the micro in the base. Overall volume of the container itself should determine size as far as I'm concerned.

NiraD, you said "And if I'm looking for something big enough to hold travelers and trade items, then the actual container is micro-sized." If the container is large enough to hold travelers and trade items, it's sure as heck NOT a micro!

I like it when they say what you're looking for. Makes it a lot easier than trying to decipher what the hider means by "micro" or "small".

NiraD, you said "And if I'm looking for something big enough to hold travelers and trade items, then the actual container is micro-sized." If the container is large enough to hold travelers and trade items, it's sure as heck NOT a micro!
I disagree. Per the guidelines, a micro is "35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet".

Typically, micros contain only a logbook or logsheet, but that doesn't mean that they can't contain anything else. Larger micros (3 oz, .1 l, 5.4 cu in, 100 cc) can have plenty of space for small trade items (e.g., signature tokens, coins, stickers) and travelers (e.g., most geocoins, TBs no bigger than the TB tag they're attached to).