no room for new logs

im sure this has been answered before, but i couldnt do a proper search for it, so im asking it...

i found a nano last night very very small, i think it was a bison tube? it was the size of a double pencil eraser, and the log was full i mean full, course some people took up a ton of space with their john hancocks, but none the less, the log was full and there was no room to fit a second one, what happens at that point?

i left my find log online, but couldnt sign the physical log, do i need to go back to it when its got a fresh one, and sign that? do nanos just expire when the log is full? what happens to logs when they get full, does the owner take them home and replace them? whats the protocol on this?

I've been known to just make a mark (I use a red pen) and mention it in my online log as my signature. I would also do a Needs Maintenance log on the cache. I don't mind somebody adding addtional paper for logging in a cache so long as they leave the original - since thiere is no room left - You were ok.

I would have logged a NM like this.

You log is full, please replace it so I can go back and claim my found it.

Unless I noticed that this was a common theme amongst the CO's caches then the log would read.

The log is full, as is the norm for you. It is not my responsibility to do cache maintenance for you. Hurry up and change it so I can claim the find.

Or you could just ink over someone's initials? Gel pens are great at writing anywhere anytime.

I doubt anyone else will mind, they claimed their find long ago when they found it.

I never can understand why some must sign their full names in small logs.

And to help you understand the sizing

Nano cache-jumbo pencil eraser

bison tube AAA battery

You can see images at the Shop Groundspeak store.

Edited by wimseyguy

in your geocaching stash-mobile, you should carry a bottle of white-out (liquid paper, etc.).

cover over some of the names/dates, wait a minute for it to dry enough to write on...

presto! log your find.

:laughing:

......going to add white-out to my cache-mobile now..... LOL

in your geocaching stash-mobile, you should carry a bottle of white-out (liquid paper, etc.).

cover over some of the names/dates, wait a minute for it to dry enough to write on...

presto! log your find.

Or Print out your own replacement logs...Just in case. I've got a ziplock with assorted log sizes in my cache purse B) Its nice to help people out. I know I'd appreciate it!

presto! log your find.

Or Print out your own replacement logs...Just in case. I've got a ziplock with assorted log sizes in my cache purse B) Its nice to help people out. I know I'd appreciate it!

That's nice as long as.

#1 there is room in the cache for you to add to without taking the old log out.

#2 you don't encourage a lazy CO to stay lazy or you plan on unofficially adopting the cache.

Most caches are only worthy of archival if the CO isn't doing the most basic maintenance there is.

If you place a nano in an urban area you should expect to be replacing the log rather quickly the first couple times because the locals will swarm.

Every good cacher should have a cache first aid kit. Mine consists of, zip lock bags(different sizes", an assortment of replacement logs, micro, notebook etc. Pens & pencils, cammo tape, Geocaching explanation sheets, and a regular size lock and lock which I keep it all in.

This way i can fix a suffering cache on the go.

I would just replace the log and note it when you log your find on the website.

I have encountered some pretty bad logs. Sopping with water, and completely filled.

I just wish I had my pack today when I had to fix one of mine. It had been muggled. I fixed it on my lunch break, so I didn't have any gear. I just stopped at wally world and got a new container and a log, but I had no swag to put in it. If I had my pack, it would have been loaded.

Every good cacher should have a cache first aid kit. Mine consists of, zip lock bags(different sizes", an assortment of replacement logs, micro, notebook etc. Pens & pencils, cammo tape, Geocaching explanation sheets, and a regular size lock and lock which I keep it all in.

This way i can fix a suffering cache on the go.

Being the narrow-minded control freak that I am, I'd really rather no one "fix" my caches. Just post a NM and let me deal with it.

Most caches are only worthy of archival if the CO isn't doing the most basic maintenance there is.

If you place a nano in an urban area you should expect to be replacing the log rather quickly the first couple times because the locals will swarm.

if only....

if that were in play, we'd lose half the caches in this area.

Being the narrow-minded control freak that I am, I'd really rather no one "fix" my caches. Just post a NM and let me deal with it.

I suppose that you don't like throw-downs either! :unsure::unsure:

Just get your initials in there, then post the NM.

If the CO won't maintain it, it should be archived -- goes double for those caches than hold sloppy/mushy/mashes-of-what-once-was-called-paper logs. :)

if only....

if that were in play, we'd lose half the caches in this area.

I would look at it more like, you would gain back half the space to place better, well maintained caches.

I know many cachers carry replacement logs to add to a cache if they find a full log. But with nanos as there is no space for an extra log so you'd have discard the existing log. Personally, I don't have great dexterity with tiny objects so I can rarely get the log out of a nano, sign it, and get it back in. (Carry tweezers, apparently.)

If a log is completely full or too wet to sign, I log a Find noting why I could not sign the log. I'll gladly describe the container and the hiding spot to the CO if verification is needed. Then I also log a Needs Maintenance.

Some cachers feel if you didn't sign the log it's not a find (and technically that is the letter of the geocaching law).

I know many cachers carry replacement logs to add to a cache if they find a full log. But with nanos as there is no space for an extra log so you'd have discard the existing log. Personally, I don't have great dexterity with tiny objects so I can rarely get the log out of a nano, sign it, and get it back in. (Carry tweezers, apparently.)

If a log is completely full or too wet to sign, I log a Find noting why I could not sign the log. I'll gladly describe the container and the hiding spot to the CO if verification is needed. Then I also log a Needs Maintenance.

Some cachers feel if you didn't sign the log it's not a find (and technically that is the letter of the geocaching law).

And that is why I will only hide a nano with coords in it. I want my logbooks and scrolls and don't want to run the risk of a cacher ganking one because they know I will delete their log if they don't sign.

You can always take a photo of or scan the existing log and email it to the CO before replacement.

If they're that touchy about keeping it they can ask to have it mailed. But I would suspect that if they are, and they've been maintaining it, it would never become full in the first place.

If they don't care about replacing it themselves they probably won't care if you haven't written in it either.

In the case of an impossible to write log, a photo at the location with your cellphone open and displaying the date/time should be sufficient anyway.

If a log is full I will make a mark of some kind, even if it is over another name. Then, when I log on line I will look to see if anyone else mentioned the log getting full. If so I would post a NM, otherwise I would just mention it in the log.

If I find a log that is getting full, and seems like it only has room for a few more signatures, I will usually mention that in my log. It always gets me to find a log that has no more room, and sometimes has signatures squeezed into odd spots and no one mentions it in the on line log.

There are those who don't maintain their caches, however, those that do seem to appreciate a heads up before the log is completely full. I think it would be better to know that you only have room for a couple more signatures, and you have a little time to get to it, than to be told the log is full, and should have been changed yesterday. :)

I put a tiny wolf looking scribble on one (not much bigger than a few dots.) and called it my mark. OK so I can't draw and you'd have to squint and have a good imagination to make it look like a wolf, but it's my micro's full mark from this day forward.

My other thoughts are roll the log up and sign the edge of the paper.

Sign the container. (Won't get many fans doing this one, but hey if they don't care enough to put a fresh peice of paper every so often why should I have to spend my gas money and the time I could be finding a new one; going back to one the owner was too lazy to spend their gas money and time maintaining.) Yes I belive you should sign the log, but I don't think it's cheating if you touched the log and couldn't sign it for any of the reasons we all know so well. Of course for the purest why not just make up some tiny peices of paper with your name already printed (in the smallest font) on them to stuff in. I could easily make one about this == size. I think I'll do that now.

Edited by wolfslady

If they're that touchy about keeping it they can ask to have it mailed. But I would suspect that if they are, and they've been maintaining it, it would never become full in the first place.

I certainly hope it's not being "touchy" to feel sentimental about wanting to keep logsheets and logbooks. :) And, just because life gets in the way sometimes, doesn't take away from the fact that a person wants to be able to keep their logsheets and logbooks.

I certainly hope it's not being "touchy" to feel sentimental about wanting to keep logsheets and logbooks. :) And, just because life gets in the way sometimes, doesn't take away from the fact that a person wants to be able to keep their logsheets and logbooks.

After reading through some of the local log books (that weren't for micros/nanos) I can totally see why people would want to keep them. There's some great comments and some fun stories in some of them. I'll sit and read a log book sometimes for entertainment. So that being said when I've come across full log books I either try to squish my name in or if all else fails I had a small piece of temporary logging paper.

After reading through some of the local log books (that weren't for micros/nanos) I can totally see why people would want to keep them. There's some great comments and some fun stories in some of them. I'll sit and read a log book sometimes for entertainment. So that being said when I've come across full log books I either try to squish my name in or if all else fails I had a small piece of temporary logging paper.

The thread started as a comment about full logs in Nano/Micro caches. That was what I was addressing. I've never seen any writings in those, generally there's not enough room. They are usually just a place to collect signatures. The caches with actual log "books" are a different situation, there is almost always a way to squeeze more log material in there.

The "touchy" COs I am referring to are those that place caches and don't maintain them, yet get all weird when a cacher replaces them. As I've been told in another thread, a few times a year is not enough visits to constitute maintenance. I've seen logs dating back years, with scribbles all over existing signatures. Like I said, if the log is maintained, the full layers will be replaced with new ones every couple of months and the CO can hang on to them. Even the few shreds of paper in one of those magnetic pill sized containers can hold several months worth of signatures.

I certainly hope it's not being "touchy" to feel sentimental about wanting to keep logsheets and logbooks. :laughing: And, just because life gets in the way sometimes, doesn't take away from the fact that a person wants to be able to keep their logsheets and logbooks.

The thread started as a comment about full logs in Nano/Micro caches. That was what I was addressing. I've never seen any writings in those, generally there's not enough room. They are usually just a place to collect signatures. The caches with actual log "books" are a different situation, there is almost always a way to squeeze more log material in there.

The "touchy" COs I am referring to are those that place caches and don't maintain them, yet get all weird when a cacher replaces them. As I've been told in another thread, a few times a year is not enough visits to constitute maintenance. I've seen logs dating back years, with scribbles all over existing signatures. Like I said, if the log is maintained, the full layers will be replaced with new ones every couple of months and the CO can hang on to them. Even the few shreds of paper in one of those magnetic pill sized containers can hold several months worth of signatures.

I understand. I just get "touchy" :) when I hear certain words and phrases like that. I know that there are a fair amount of cache owners out there that don't take care of their caches and don't seem to have a good attitude. But I also know that there are some people like me, who have had things happen in their lives to make it harder to do cache maintenance. Sure, I could archive all my caches, but my caches are some of the few things in my life that make me feel like I'm normal and have something that's *mine* etc. So I do what I can do.

I have two seemingly incompatable rules which I use in regards to cache logs:

1 ) On caches I hunt, I will not claim a find unless my mark is on the log. Like Brian, I've never found a nano where I couldn't squeeze a tiny "CR" somewhere. Should that day ever occur, I will weigh the quality of my experience against my getting another smiley. If the journey was fun, I'll go back once the log is replaced and sign it, claiming my find at that time. If my journey was boring, I'll simply pass on that smiley. There are plenty of other caches for me to find.

2 ) On caches that I own, I am perfectly willing to accept whatever definition of "Found It" the seeker chooses to utilize. If "Found It" for them equals signing the log, kewl. If they can't get the cache open and still consider it a find, kewl. If they visually locate a cache but get attacked by hordes of rabid lemmings, keeping them from physically getting their hands on it, and they consider it a find, that's kewl too. I will not scrutinize my logs, deleting those folks who don't have corresponding signatures.

I have two seemingly incompatable rules which I use in regards to cache logs:

1 ) On caches I hunt, I will not claim a find unless my mark is on the log. Like Brian, I've never found a nano where I couldn't squeeze a tiny "CR" somewhere. Should that day ever occur, I will weigh the quality of my experience against my getting another smiley. If the journey was fun, I'll go back once the log is replaced and sign it, claiming my find at that time. If my journey was boring, I'll simply pass on that smiley. There are plenty of other caches for me to find.

2 ) On caches that I own, I am perfectly willing to accept whatever definition of "Found It" the seeker chooses to utilize. If "Found It" for them equals signing the log, kewl. If they can't get the cache open and still consider it a find, kewl. If they visually locate a cache but get attacked by hordes of rabid lemmings, keeping them from physically getting their hands on it, and they consider it a find, that's kewl too. I will not scrutinize my logs, deleting those folks who don't have corresponding signatures.

I don't find them incompatible.

One is as a hider and one as a seeker.