Geocoins with faces on them (human)

Zelanzy

Rusty O'Junk

Yeah! This is one of the better examples of a well done 3D profile.

For obvious reasons, it's easier for the sculptor to achieve an attractive 3D profile, rather than a head-on face with the limited thickness involved. But there have been a few head-on sculpts that were above average.

Edited by YemonYime

DJ pointed out Neptunes Compass but let me say this about that particular coin, it was a hand-drawn original design and the mint had a very difficult time with it. They had asked me for a picture which I could not provide because there was only the drawing I did. So if you are planning something original for a 3D, you'll be working with them for awhile to perfect it. I almost walked away from my Neptunes Compass because I wanted to tear my hair out. The first 3D rendering was so funny looking, I couldn't stop laughing. There were so many revisions to that coin.

Juyst a little food for thought.

tsun

Rusty O'Junk

can anyone upload a picture of this item? or tell me where online i might be able to see it? thanks.

EDIT TO ADD: nevermind,...i found the picture at cointracking.com, very nice 3D likeness.

Thanks for your edit, found it too. Nice profile example!

And I have 3 Neptunes, not sure how I forgot about it! Thanks for the "working experience" notes too tsun! I will have a photo to work off of, so that should help. My "Plan B" is to go "warhol" on it (6 color screen print). This is for a working performing artist for her to sell at her booth, but I'll side mold/engrave some tracking codes for a smaller release to geocachers.

Edited by Zelanzy

Is anyone aware of any geocoin showing a human face on them, in 2d or 3d? I'm trying to figure out the best way to achieve this! thanks much!

Best advice I could give is to use a photo in the design of the coin, but then send along the highest resolution image of the same photo by itself along as well. It can make a tremendous difference in overall quality and speed to completion of the project. :laughing:

Is anyone aware of any geocoin showing a human face on them, in 2d or 3d? I'm trying to figure out the best way to achieve this! thanks much!

Best advice I could give is to use a photo in the design of the coin, but then send along the highest resolution image of the same photo by itself along as well. It can make a tremendous difference in overall quality and speed to completion of the project. :laughing:

Noted, the person I'm making the coin for had a pro photographer take the stills we'll be using. She has full commerical rigths (lol the disclaimer of the week!) and super high resolution ones (she is a renaissance festival performer). I would not have thought to send the super high res images!

Best advice I could give is to use a photo in the design of the coin, but then send along the highest resolution image of the same photo by itself along as well. It can make a tremendous difference in overall quality and speed to completion of the project. :bad:

Noted, the person I'm making the coin for had a pro photographer take the stills we'll be using. She has full commerical rigths (lol the disclaimer of the week!) and super high resolution ones (she is a renaissance festival performer). I would not have thought to send the super high res images!

Agree with Mackey here. My micro (which I still have never taken a photo of in 3 years :laughing: ), was inspired by Rusty O' Junk. And I had someone photograph my mess of a head several times, and then supplied the highest res image I could for the 3D profile. Maybe Mackey will be able to find one of my micros and snap a photo of the antique version. Skip the shiny one, it doesn't show off how bad I look properly :)

TMA