A tough log on one of my caches

So I received a very critical log on one of my caches today:

May 31 by -----------(26 found)

Extemely dangerous and very unnecessary cache.

~~~ The difficulty and terrain need to change to 5 or something has to be done to warn people how dangerous this cache is. Is the owner waiting for someone to fall down trying to retrieve this and kill themselves? ~~~

Someone needs to realize this is a stupid cache and not safe - at all.

Future visitors please see this danger espicially with children.

Maybe somebody will get some brains and figure what a mess of a cache and remove it.

Nysportsdude64 agrees as well.

Something needs to be done.

~Thanks and be safe.

I was taken back by this since he had logged the find with this log:

May 31 by ----------- (26 found)

TFTC ! Easy to get, impossible to find.

Got a joke for this one:

"How many geocachers does it take to replace this one?" ahahaha. Put your answers here --- it took the whole group of 4.

Somehow fit my trackable in here, probably one of the only trackables that could fit, although its pretty big trackable.

And his buddy nysportsdude64 logged it:

May 31 by nysportsdude64 (8 found)

Very Fun Find with ---------------. The best of the afternoon. i almost died but it was worth it for the cache. Hardcore Caching. Although the parents dont like it.

Seeing that he was a fairly new cacher I dropped him an email saying:

Hey --------------,

I am the owner of the cache "--------------" and saw your log. Wow! I am a bit confused. You stated in your first log that it was easy to get and joked about the replacing of it but then posted a note saying that it was the most dangerous cache that has ever existed. I appreciate your concerns and have upped the difficulty and terrain ratings and added a "not recommended for kids" attribute. If you look at the cache rating system guidelines you will see that a 5 for terrain is reserved for special equipment being needed (boat, climbing gear, etc.) and since you were able to retrieve this cache without any gear, a 5 is unwarranted. The caching world is full of caches with varying terrain challenges and you may come in contact with some caches that are far tougher than this one. That is part of the fun for many but I can understand how some might view them as dangerous and not their cup of tea. Unneccessary? I would have to dissagree with you. Different strokes for different folks. I hope my new terrain rating is more appropriate. There is a series of caches in Maryland called "Psycho Uban Cache series" which are all rated 4.5 or 5 and should not be attempted by anyone but yet they are among the most exciting and watched caches even though the average cacher will not attempt them. Here is a link to a bookmark page for them:http://snipurl.com/wysb2 Check out #9 which is "located in an abandoned containment building, contaminated with radioactive and toxic chemical waste". Check out the logs. It makes my cache look like a walk in the park. LOL Anyway, thank you for your colorful log and concern for your fellow cacher. I look forward to seeing your logs on my other caches in the area and I look forward to visitng a hide from you one day. Have a great day. -Bill "slukster"

On the cache page I posted this note:

May 31 by slukster (272 found)

Upped the difficulty and terrain ratings due to the last finders concerns. I am a bit confused considering he wrote that it was easy to get and even made a joke. Didn't see that second log coming. I guess it was a newbie who hasn't been exposed to the various terrain possibilities in geocaching.

I never heard back from him from my email but he then posted two more notes:

May 31 by ---------------- (26 found)

No i've geocached many times, all terrain. But this one is just out of this world crazy. I'm sure many people (INCLUDING THE PEOPLE WHO INVENTED CACHING) would believe that this one is too dangerous. I've seen ones like climbing trees, or in a tree, on islands in water, but this is wayy out there. Too dangerous, maybe try a new type of cache called, "Extreme Cachers Only". Maybe that'll single out to only 5 or so people that would visit, real crazy people. I wasn't warned so I visited, but if I had I would definately not have came.

~

Geocaching is for people to enjoy nature rather than to be feared of it. Thank you.

and

May 31 by -------------- (26 found)

"Will the location placement cause unnecessary concern? Please use common sense when choosing a location for your cache. Do not design your cache such that it might be confused with something more dangerous."

~GeoCaching.com's Guide to Placing a Cache

Now I began thinking enough is enough. So I did some investigating into his caching history and found this log:

Wildwood Beach Jam trip [scouting on the beach, rides, etc.] I was part of and decided to cache.

~

Found this, cool spot and found $10 in the bushes nearby! Left Canadian 5cent

And the indicator as to why the type of logs that were posted:

f0385307-0bb6-4e21-be96-2a538af6703f.jpg

Just wanted to share an interesting story. The kid has his heart in the right place.

Edited by slukster

I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like the account belongs to a kid. It also sounds like the first logs were by some happy kids.

The log ripping you a new one appears to possibly be from the kid's parent.

I have no idea the area, difficulty, terrain, etc. But if you feel like some of the comments are justified, then by all means up the ratings and apply the not for kids attribute.

But then I would just let it go.

If they continue to post on the listing rather than using email, you may need to involve Groundspeak. The cache listing is not intended to be used as a forum.

I would delete all logs and notes and tell him to say why he disagrees with your rating. You didn't say which of your caches it was so we can review it ourselves. I know you are trying to protect the identity of the writer but you can't expect a good response from someone who can't read the cache page.

And there is no such thing as a to dangerous cache.

I didn't pick up on his buddies log talking about how his parents didn't like it until later on. The cache itself isn't that hard and he had done another of mine which I would have considered to be much more "dangerous" but he didn't comment on that one.

Also 5 terrain is not solely for needing special equipment. I agree sounds like a child then a parent or someone who cut and pasted a genric comment only to recognize later what they wanted to say.

Yeah, I know but this one definately is not a 5 star anything.

Could you give us a GC number to save us going through 50+ caches to find it? ;)

GC1GJRR

I'll repeat this...

Look, you aren't giving us any backstory... What makes this cache so hard to get too? why is it so dangerous? Why is the other cache that he logged so dangerous?

Yeah, I know you guys won't take long to figure out which one it is and post it so I will save you the trouble:

GC1GJRR

Yeah, I know you guys won't take long to figure out which one it is and post it so I will save you the trouble:

GC1GJRR

You made it easy, I just copied and pasted his friends user name into google, then looked at his 8 found caches...

Edited by Coldgears

Could you give us a GC number to save us going through 50+ caches to find it? ;)

GC1GJRR

I'll repeat this...

Look, you aren't giving us any backstory... What makes this cache so hard to get too? why is it so dangerous? Why is the other cache that he logged so dangerous?

There is no backstory. I didn't think the cache was that tough to find. That is why I was surprised by the warning log. You walk out along the back of a building where there is a path along the top of a rock face and to reach the cache you have to get down on your stomach and reach down to grab it. If you have short arms you have to climb down a little bit to access the cache. The rocks are only about 10 - 15 feet high but then turn into a sloping hill. If you fall you could definately hurt yourself. Anothe cache in the park has a much higher drop off GC1GDRK and I think is a bit more hairy to get to but he didn't think so.

Edited by slukster

The picture on the cache page should give anyone a reason to pause.

And looks like someone chose not to do it on May 20th. If the parents were that concerned, they should have been parents and said NO.

Sounds like the kids had a blast.

If it were me, I'd let the parent's first post about his/her concerns remain. But I would delete the last 2 logs. Those belong in email, not on the cache page.

The cache description is very clear about what it takes to get this cache. Based on your descriptions on the cache and in this thread, I'd give it a terrain rating of 3.5-4, but that's just a guesstimate without actually seeing the site.

I would delete all the notes related to this incident, including your own. Leave their find logs alone and simply ignore the debate. Your listing looks just fine to me and by the sound of it, there is nothing wrong with this cache. I most certainly know of many which are considerably more "dangerous". Heck, driving to the cache site is probably the most dangerous part of the game... especially if you're reading the GPSr while driving!

In any case, Groundspeak has made it perfectly clear over the years that there are no safety guidelines other than those that you as a geocacher chose to impose on yourself. Personally, I would probably leave those notes, as they only make your cache sound more fun. The only risk I can see with leaving them is that the next cachers may be disappointed and post their own notes stating how easy it was, when they really expected more.

I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like the account belongs to a kid. It also sounds like the first logs were by some happy kids.

that's what i thought too. the writing style of the logs following the found log is different from that found log itself. especially usage of ~~~ stands out.

A minimum amount of research found ArmyFanGo. Since he only has 26 hides and his buddy (you forgot to take Nysportsdude64 out of the message) has single digits I wouldn't pay any attention to their comments.

I don't get bothered too much when people leave rude or unpleasant logs. When I figured out that he was a kid I got a kick out of it. I might delete his second 2 logs just to unclutter the page but leave his initial warning log. It is part of the cache history.

that's what i thought too. the writing style of the logs following the found log is different from that found log itself. especially usage of ~~~ stands out.

Your explanations make a lot of sense. I think that is why I did not pick up on the fact that it was a kid because the warning log was written well.

Really?... After seeing the cache page you guys don't know what is going on? Really?

This guy is just playing up the picture on the cache page. Obviously there is no real danger. He is just trying to be funny, trying to get readers to think that there is actually a huge chasm that you have to try to reach across

Here we are.

EDIT: And I missed the post with the GC number, so I used my investigation skills and found the page manually.

First of all props to the OP for remaining professional and not attacking the finder personally in your emails. It's easy to get upset when dealing with someone like this and make the situation worse.

You've done all you need to do. Delete all of the finder's notes except for the first one. You shouldn't receive any more messages from him if you don't send him any.

I'm still not entirely sure about who wrote these logs. Did the kid write the Found It and then the parent wrote the notes?

Edited by BCProspectors

The parents were at fault for continuing to go on and let their children cache in a "dangerous" environment. If they felt at danger at any point in their quest then they should have turn them and their kids around. Ya know, be parents. I have turned around plenty of times when I felt danger and I don't have kids.

You have more warnings and attributes than I have seen on far more "dangerous" caches. So let it be and for the folks who have seen "all sorts of caches" with their 26 finds, <HA! that one cracks me up> then then will so be school by the sheer variety of caches out there. Maybe they will relegate themselves to LPCs ...

Really?... After seeing the cache page you guys don't know what is going on? Really?

This guy is just playing up the picture on the cache page. Obviously there is no real danger. He is just trying to be funny, trying to get readers to think that there is actually a huge chasm that you have to try to reach across

I enjoy putting exaggerated pics on the cache page to keep the finder's wondering but I have stopped doing this quite so much. The reason is because my Climbin' & Findin' Cache series was archived by the local reviewer due to it being reported that there is no rock climbing in the parks they were placed in. While I have to admit that some did require some minor rock climbing or scrambling no special equipment was ever necessary to place or retrieve them although some had logged that then did use a rope just in case. At a local meet & greet event someone mentioned that they think they know who had reported the caches (a respected long time cacher) because he did not like the dangerous nature of the caches. What can you do. The funny thing is that only one did not get archived. The reason for this I believe is the picture posted on the cache page Climbin' & Findin' Cache 1 It is the only one that does not show a real picture of someone climbing but rather a cartoon character. That is the only reason I can think of. It actually caused a bit of a stir in the local caching community and I received a lot of support from cachers saying that the caches should not have been archived. To top it all off, after I had requested the reviewer to reconsider 2 of the caches which I thought could have been considered more of rock scrambles than climbing, the reviewer actually went out and visited all of the caches to see for themselves. Only one of all of the caches that had been archived (a cache that was not in the C&F series Caution! It's a long way down) was reinstated. At least I had the fun of retrieving all of the containers and experiencing these challenging caches one last time.

Edited by slukster

That is the fun thing about Geocaching, you can do as little(LPCs) or as much as you want, like that one under the bridge that was mentioned earlier. It's what you make of the game. If a person wants it so bad, they put themselves in danger, that's on them.

I think it ironic, people log the find, then complain about it. Either TNLNSL or talk about YOUR experience!

Here we are.

EDIT: And I missed the post with the GC number, so I used my investigation skills and found the page manually.

First of all props to the OP for remaining professional and not attacking the finder personally in your emails. It's easy to get upset when dealing with someone like this and make the situation worse.

You've done all you need to do. Delete all of the finder's notes except for the first one. You shouldn't receive any more messages from him if you don't send him any.

I'm still not entirely sure about who wrote these logs. Did the kid write the Found It and then the parent wrote the notes?

Isn't the fact that this cache is in Paterson dangerous enough?

Heeyyyyoooo!!!!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yes, I would say with a great deal of certainty that the kids wrote the found logs, but you are now dealing with the parent. This is a tough one, but ultimately people are responsible for themselves when caching, and in this case I feel the parent is responsible for what caches their minor children go after. I would try to explain this to the parent as diplomatically as possible.

Okay... How $&*#& stupid.

Its at your own risk. If the cache seems dangerous to you, you shouldn't even let your kid attempt. DUH. Isn't that why parents go with their young kids? To make sure they don't do caches that are dangerous?

If they are so mad about doing that cache, why did they let the kid do it?? TOOLS!

Wonderful smart people......

Its hard to miss an annoying "please note" exclamation banner posted on every single cache page on the site with a link that brings you to a very nicely laid out page where on this caption resides...."Geocaching, hiking, backpacking and other outdoor activities involve risk to both persons and property. There are many variables including, but not limited to, weather, fitness level, terrain features and outdoor experience, that must be considered prior to seeking or placing a Cache. Be prepared for your journey and be sure to check the current weather and conditions before heading outdoors. Always exercise common sense and caution." I guess unless you are the nimrods that complain about how dangerous the cache is, yet let their child do it any way...

Good thing to teach your children, not to read warnings.

I am so glad to see intelligent people having children these days.

While some of your caches do not play well with my fear of heights, I would assume that this one is near the location of The Whole Nine Yards? Yes. That could be a tough spot for us acrophobes. But, we did find that one. (Shut up, TWU. This is Garrett Mountain Reservation, not downtown Paterson. And Paterson is probably no worse than Rochester or Buffalo! Ignore my comments on the benchmark at the Passaic County Courthouse...)

As noted by others, danger is not a consideration for listing caches. Safety considerations are left to the cache hunter. Hmm... I have 36" sleeves. This one should not be a problem for me! As your others have, this cache page gives full warning of the dangers involved. Cache pages are not the appropriate area for discussions.

Looking forward to finding this one!

So I received a very critical log on one of my caches today:

May 31 by -----------(26 found)

Extemely dangerous and very unnecessary cache.

~~~ The difficulty and terrain need to change to 5 or something has to be done to warn people how dangerous this cache is. Is the owner waiting for someone to fall down trying to retrieve this and kill themselves? ~~~

Someone needs to realize this is a stupid cache and not safe - at all.

Future visitors please see this danger espicially with children.

Maybe somebody will get some brains and figure what a mess of a cache and remove it.

Nysportsdude64 agrees as well.

Something needs to be done.

~Thanks and be safe.

Welll I am also a younger cacher, and sometimes a friend will go on your account and think its funny to be rude. That would explain the not responding to email thing as well.

I was taken back by this since he had logged the find with this log:

May 31 by ----------- (26 found)

TFTC ! Easy to get, impossible to find.

Got a joke for this one:

"How many geocachers does it take to replace this one?" ahahaha. Put your answers here --- it took the whole group of 4.

Somehow fit my trackable in here, probably one of the only trackables that could fit, although its pretty big trackable.

And his buddy nysportsdude64 logged it:

May 31 by nysportsdude64 (8 found)

Very Fun Find with ---------------. The best of the afternoon. i almost died but it was worth it for the cache. Hardcore Caching. Although the parents dont like it.

Seeing that he was a fairly new cacher I dropped him an email saying:

Hey --------------,

I am the owner of the cache "--------------" and saw your log. Wow! I am a bit confused. You stated in your first log that it was easy to get and joked about the replacing of it but then posted a note saying that it was the most dangerous cache that has ever existed. I appreciate your concerns and have upped the difficulty and terrain ratings and added a "not recommended for kids" attribute. If you look at the cache rating system guidelines you will see that a 5 for terrain is reserved for special equipment being needed (boat, climbing gear, etc.) and since you were able to retrieve this cache without any gear, a 5 is unwarranted. The caching world is full of caches with varying terrain challenges and you may come in contact with some caches that are far tougher than this one. That is part of the fun for many but I can understand how some might view them as dangerous and not their cup of tea. Unneccessary? I would have to dissagree with you. Different strokes for different folks. I hope my new terrain rating is more appropriate. There is a series of caches in Maryland called "Psycho Uban Cache series" which are all rated 4.5 or 5 and should not be attempted by anyone but yet they are among the most exciting and watched caches even though the average cacher will not attempt them. Here is a link to a bookmark page for them:http://snipurl.com/wysb2 Check out #9 which is "located in an abandoned containment building, contaminated with radioactive and toxic chemical waste". Check out the logs. It makes my cache look like a walk in the park. LOL Anyway, thank you for your colorful log and concern for your fellow cacher. I look forward to seeing your logs on my other caches in the area and I look forward to visitng a hide from you one day. Have a great day. -Bill "slukster"

On the cache page I posted this note:

May 31 by slukster (272 found)

Upped the difficulty and terrain ratings due to the last finders concerns. I am a bit confused considering he wrote that it was easy to get and even made a joke. Didn't see that second log coming. I guess it was a newbie who hasn't been exposed to the various terrain possibilities in geocaching.

I never heard back from him from my email but he then posted two more notes:

May 31 by ---------------- (26 found)

No i've geocached many times, all terrain. But this one is just out of this world crazy. I'm sure many people (INCLUDING THE PEOPLE WHO INVENTED CACHING) would believe that this one is too dangerous. I've seen ones like climbing trees, or in a tree, on islands in water, but this is wayy out there. Too dangerous, maybe try a new type of cache called, "Extreme Cachers Only". Maybe that'll single out to only 5 or so people that would visit, real crazy people. I wasn't warned so I visited, but if I had I would definately not have came.

~

Geocaching is for people to enjoy nature rather than to be feared of it. Thank you.

and

May 31 by -------------- (26 found)

"Will the location placement cause unnecessary concern? Please use common sense when choosing a location for your cache. Do not design your cache such that it might be confused with something more dangerous."

~GeoCaching.com's Guide to Placing a Cache

Now I began thinking enough is enough. So I did some investigating into his caching history and found this log:

Wildwood Beach Jam trip [scouting on the beach, rides, etc.] I was part of and decided to cache.

~

Found this, cool spot and found $10 in the bushes nearby! Left Canadian 5cent

And the indicator as to why the type of logs that were posted:

f0385307-0bb6-4e21-be96-2a538af6703f.jpg

Just wanted to share an interesting story. The kid has his heart in the right place.

So I deleted the last two logs to unclutter the cache page and I then received this log:

ArmyFanGeo posted a note for Just Out Of Reach (Traditional Cache) at 6/3/2010 Log Date: 6/3/2010Way to delete my concerns and be respectful to the geocaching community. =DAll the way. I guess you can't wait until someone gets hurt doing this one?

I sent him another email (he never responded to any of my previous 2 emails):

Hello,

I have reached out to you several times to discuss this "Just out of reach" cache but you have not responded. I left your initial log which expressed your concerns quite clearly. All subsequent logs are just cluttering up the cache page unnecessarily. If you would like to add more info about your discomfort with this cache please feel free to go to the cache page, go to your log and at the bottom of your log is an option to "view/ edit logs/ images". On the next page just click on the "edit log" button and you can add anything else you would like. Be advised that any other logs added to the cache page will be deleted. If you would like to discuss this cache further please contact me at -----------@hotmail.com. Thank you.

P.S. Is this the cute little boyscout in the pic from the "Wild Thing" cache in Wildwoods or is this their parent?

-Bill