adopting an abandoned cache

We have a local cache with no owner, GC2A2 "cache with a view".

Recently it was given a "needs maintenance" attribute in error. The log was meant for GCY2A2 in France. The log was deleted, but the attribute remains.

We have a few caches in the area and visit this one often.

I would like to adopt the cache on our GBOTS account. We already maintain the cache but can't remove the attribute.

So, is it possible to adopt the cache, or can the attribute be removed without an owner?

The attribute can only be removed when the cache owner posts a Maintenance Done log.

I don't see anything particularly unique about the cache so if you want to clear up the situation post a Should be Archived log pointing out that the CO has not logged in since 2002, has never found a cache and only hidden this one. Then after it is archived plant your own. You could even use the container that is there. So everyone gets to go again to the spot and get a smiley and you get credit for placing a cache w/o any effort. Sounds like win/win to me.

Edited by Walts Hunting

The attribute can only be removed when the cache owner posts a Maintenance Done log.

I don't see anything particularly unique about the cache so if you want to clear up the situation post a Should be Archived log pointing out that the CO has not logged in since 2002, has never found a cache and only hidden this one. Then after it is archived plant your own. You could even use the container that is there. So everyone gets to go again to the spot and get a smiley and you get credit for placing a cache w/o any effort. Sounds like win/win to me.

It's an old cache (hidden Feb 01) and even still has the original log book. We'll just continue to maintain it as best we can.

It's an old cache (hidden Feb 01) and even still has the original log book. We'll just continue to maintain it as best we can.

Walts hunting is wrong. A cache reviewer can remove the needs maint. icon. And just becasue they don't see anything special about it doesn't mean it doesn't hold value for others.

Contact yor local cache reviewer about it. If it is being maintained they will likely clear it and let it live on.

Walts hunting is wrong. A cache reviewer can remove the needs maint. icon. And just becasue they don't see anything special about it doesn't mean it doesn't hold value for others.

Contact yor local cache reviewer about it. If it is being maintained they will likely clear it and let it live on

You are right a reviewer can. Let's picture a reviewers reaction when he gets a note not from the CO but someone else saying they are maintaining this even though the CO has vanished. I wouldn't be surprised to see him/her archive it based on that.

Well normaly I would say to send an NA log, but this is an old cache, a little over 9 years (and on Jeremy's "oldest active traditional by state bookmark list). See if the reviewer will remove the NM atribute. If not, don't worry too much. Some caches have that attribute for years.

PS. What is the deal with that cache. 68 finds in 9 years, and in a nice park just out of town.

PPS Dang Cat in the Hat. I keep trying to read and write in ryme. Good think am an no good at it or you would all groan with the lame poetry.

Contact yor local cache reviewer about it. If it is being maintained they will likely clear it and let it live on

You are right a reviewer can. Let's picture a reviewers reaction when he gets a note not from the CO but someone else saying they are maintaining this even though the CO has vanished. I wouldn't be surprised to see him/her archive it based on that.

The proper reviewer reaction would to be helpful and remove the erroneously placed attribute. If there is no other maintenance issue then there's no reason to take action on the listing.

Both of my local reviewers would remove the icon if I asked politely, and explained the situation. Believe it or not, both of your Northern Ca, reviewers would do the same. In fact, one of your reviewers has done so for us in Southern, CA.

Both of my local reviewers would remove the icon if I asked politely, and explained the situation. Believe it or not, both of your Northern Ca, reviewers would do the same. In fact, one of your reviewers has done so for us in Southern, CA.

Is there something that would prevent a local reviewer from removing an icon if you simply explained the situation?

I think it's great when somebody cares about an old cache and feels that it still has enough merit to unofficially adopt it and check it regularly. I don't believe that all old caches should be preserved, come what may, but that one seems to be in a good spot. The fact that you're logging your visits with a note and reporting back on the state of the cache should mean that this one keeps going for as long as you're able to climb that hill. :D

MrsB