Why do caches go stale after FTF?

I was just wondering why caches go stale after FTF? Everyone and their dog will scramble to be the first one there to find it but once they are found it seems like noone else cares about them. I love finding caches regaurdless how many times they have been found. Do any of you notice this too?

Sounds like a big-city problem. Our "country" caches don't "stale" until all the regular area cachers have logged them. The order in which they find them doesn't seem to make much difference. After the usual suspects have all signed the log, then cacher activity changes to sporadic tourist cachers.

Sounds like a big-city problem. Our "country" caches don't "stale" until all the regular area cachers have logged them. The order in which they find them doesn't seem to make much difference. After the usual suspects have all signed the log, then cacher activity changes to sporadic tourist cachers.

Nah. The FTF hounds go for it. I've got urban caches, and I've got caches with a mile hike. If it's less than .10 from parking, lots of people will go for it. If it's a longer hike, the hiking enthusiasts will go for it, eventually. Hey. There are some beautiful spots out there. Some take some effort to get to. Depends what you want from geocaching.

They don't go stale unless the container is not closed properly.

Yes, by all means, take care of your cookies!

Up in da nortwoods, we don' see big FTF rushes (usually). Likewise, our 'stale' time comes along when the snow precip levels approach 200" accumulative. Come da spring tho (later than most), Watch Out 'cuz dem cachers will run over ya! Old or new, doesn't matter. ;)

There are two caches in my area, one hidden by me and one hidden by wilcoxweedpatch. I was the

ftf on theirs and they were the ftf on mine. Since then nobody else has attempted to find them. Mine is over a month old and theirs is almost 4 months old. But we live in an area without many caches or cachers.

We recently placed a cache and we had 3 people try to get the ftf the next morning but since then nothing! And we are in quite a big town, perhaps just becuase it is a 1/1?

People are often a little squimish about private property caches, even when permissions is given. That could be part of the problem. Also, looking at other caches in the area, I don't think that 3 days is uncommon. Only crazy cachers will run out and find a cache imediatly (unless it is a FTF). They will grab it whenever it is convinient. There is a new cache near my place that I have been meening to grab, but it is now probably 3 or 4 months. Still haven't looked.

There are two caches in my area, one hidden by me and one hidden by wilcoxweedpatch. I was the

ftf on theirs and they were the ftf on mine. Since then nobody else has attempted to find them. Mine is over a month old and theirs is almost 4 months old. But we live in an area without many caches or cachers.

If you build it, they will come ;)

We usually go out for the day, trying to make some kind of circular route where we can find 2-5 caches. It could be that your caches are a bit lonely out there. I would suggest planting a few more and make it worth while for people going out for day trips.

TB

I was just wondering why caches go stale after FTF? Everyone and their dog will scramble to be the first one there to find it but once they are found it seems like noone else cares about them.

In my experience, the vast majority of caches that have this happen are urban 1/1 or 1.5/1.5 caches that (to be blunt) suck. There is no reason for anybody to find them except to build numbers or be FTF.

I'd much prefer owning a cache that gets 3 finds a year where it's clear that those 3 people really got something from the cache to owning one that gets 30 logs a month that people instantly forget.

I haven't noticed this at all. We have a handful of people in the area who will try for a FTF, a few others who pretty much have the area cached out and will get to new caches pretty quickly, but beyond that a well-maintained geocache will still be getting visitors years after it was placed.

If you build it, they will come ;)

We usually go out for the day, trying to make some kind of circular route where we can find 2-5 caches. It could be that your caches are a bit lonely out there. I would suggest planting a few more and make it worth while for people going out for day trips.

TB

I have 5 more that I am going to hide and wwp has hidden 4 so far and has more in the works. I was planning on making one a TB hotel, but I don't know if there would be enough cachers coming to it to make it worth the effort.

I was just wondering why caches go stale after FTF? Everyone and their dog will scramble to be the first one there to find it but once they are found it seems like noone else cares about them. I love finding caches regaurdless how many times they have been found. Do any of you notice this too?

We have folks here who not only rush out for the FTF, but then they don't log it online for days, simply because they say that doing so discourages someone else from looking for it (meaning that they believe that if others believe that the FTF is still in play, others will be more interested in looking for it). So you have lots of caches around here where although someone has in the log claimed the FTF, it won't show on the cache listing itself for days.

We recently placed a cache and we had 3 people try to get the ftf the next morning but since then nothing! And we are in quite a big town, perhaps just becuase it is a 1/1?

maybe that third person didn't rehide it good and it got muggled.

It's under my mailbox right outside my house :laughing: I keep checking to make sure its hidden well

"Please be respectful as it is on my parents property. They are part time geocachers and have given permission for it to be placed." That's what it says and all the loggers loved this cache because it is quite unique. Plus they have spoken to my mother and she loves talking to cachers! We are disappointed more people haven't come looking for it. We don't know many local geocachers and were hoping to meet some more searching for this one

Don't know, but it could be a function of cache density. An unfound cache is something special simply because it is unfound. It could be the stinkiest cache in the world, but if it's unfound it's desirable.

However, once it is found, and unless there is something special about it, then it becomes just another cache. If it's an urban micro in a parking lot ... eh, who cares, but those who need to push their find count up or those who have nothing better to do? ...and if you have a large enough cache hiding population that puts out consistently good caches then why go after caches that aren't as good?

Don't worry about it unless you cache isn't getting found on a regular basis and you're getting shortere logs than is typical for your area and cacher. (You need to compare cache log lengths with other logs by the same person to get a feel of how they felt about your cache.) If you think you can put out a better cache, then do so.

There seem to be a pattern with some area caches, particularly the harder to get at. The locals will find it, a few from within 50 miles will find it, but tourists will generally stick to the caches they can drive up to or find on scenic hikes.

The more selective the placing the more selective the finders.