BM's along functional railroad tracks.

Snipe33

I found a fistful one afternoon, without it being considered a problem area: Each of the benchmarks were with 100 feet of an intersection, or part of the bridge/underpass. Some were classic brass disks, some were rivets, but all had been recently marked with bright orange paint, making it waaay too easy.

These were all in Lake County, IL along CNW tracks.

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

I found a fistful one afternoon, without it being considered a problem area: Each of the benchmarks were with 100 feet of an intersection, or part of the bridge/underpass. Some were classic brass disks, some were rivets, but all had been recently marked with bright orange paint, making it waaay too easy.

These were all in Lake County, IL along CNW tracks.

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

quote:
Originally posted by Snipe33:

I think everyone is in denial....LOL

Some of us just don't want to incriminate ourselves. icon_smile.gif

(Truth be told, I'll hunt them wherever and whenever I can. I've found quite a few old chiseled crosses and squares along an active RR near me.)

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

--- You might own the cache, but geocaching.com owns you. ---

I've found two markers along RR tracks.

Although there are a ton in my area, I chose to do these because they were both very near a street intersection and greenway trail runnning parallel about 30 ft downhill from the tracks.

I just had to bushwhack uphill and hop across the tracks to snap a pic of the vertical marker in the rockwall face.

I never feel comfortable walking along RR tracks even though it is fun, guess I've seen too many movies where they get their feet stuck icon_wink.gif

It seems like most of the BMs around here are along, or close by, RR tracks and count for most of my finds. In most cases, they're easily accessible even if one has to cross a trestle.... Invariably, I always approach from the wrong end....

icon_eek.gif That white speck on the other side is Snoop513 who wouldn't cross with me. At least one of us had some smarts that day...

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."

John Muir

quote:
Originally posted by sprocketman927:

It seems like most of the BMs around here are along, or close by, RR tracks and count for most of my finds. In most cases, they're easily accessible even if one has to cross a trestle.... Invariably, I always approach from the wrong end....

http://img.Groundspeak.com/benchmark/lg/57780_200.jpg

300 crossties on that one icon_eek.gif That white speck on the other side is Snoop513 who wouldn't cross with me. At least one of us had some smarts that day...

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."

John Muir

Are those active tracks?? icon_smile.gif

quote:

quote:

Are those active tracks??

...used daily by CSX.... Okay, I'm an idiot icon_rolleyes.gif

John Muir

Isn't "walking the tracks" illegal there? I believe that SP and UP here in California will arrest you for trespass. Many of their security officers are POST-certified and carry the same status in the eyes of the law as a police officer.

OhNoMrBill (Bill Hudson, Gilroy CA)

quote:
Originally posted by OhNoMrBill:

quote:

quote:

Are those active tracks??

...used daily by CSX.... Okay, I'm an idiot icon_rolleyes.gif

John Muir

Isn't "walking the tracks" illegal there? I believe that SP and UP here in California will arrest you for trespass. Many of their security officers are POST-certified and carry the same status in the eyes of the law as a police officer.

OhNoMrBill (Bill Hudson, Gilroy CA)

From CSX website...

'Train tracks are private property. Walking or riding on any railroad right of way or other railroad property without the permission of the railroad is trespassing and illegal. Violators will be prosecuted, and they risk the possibility of serious, even fatal, injury.'

John Muir