Scouting - Navigator Activity Badge

I realise that this may have been discussed previously but all searches come back with the BSA Scouting Merit Badge.

Have any of you UK Scouters attempted the GPS Navigation/Geocaching segment of the Navigator Badge with your young people (oh how I hate that phrase!)?

For info - the requirements were released in November 2008 (some 18 months before BSA) and, while it's not a badge in its own right, the Geocaching section (visible here https://members.scouts.org.uk/supportresources/586 - Alternative D) can help the Scout achieve the badge.

I have some opinions on this but would like to hear others' opinions too:

Is the guidance specific/loose enough?

Have you run this with/for Scouts?

If you did, how did you get on?

Did/do you have concerns about the badge requirements?

TIA!

Collin

I know that there is a scout leader near me that has been very active with his group and takes them caching, some have even signed up themselfs and continue outside of his teachings.

not sure if it started as part of the badge, never had that section when i was a scout....

Alternative D - GPS Navigation

Demonstrate an awareness of the Global Positioning System (GPS) to include:

how it works

ownership and control of the system

benefits to society

what factors affect accuracy

Programme a hand-held GPS receiver to perform the following functions:

Find your location (grid reference and latitude/longitude) and record it

Enter the grid reference of a local landmark and navigate to the waypoint

Enter the latitude/longitude coordinates of a nearby point and navigate to the waypoint, checking the accuracy

Walk on a bearing using the GPS and a map.

Demonstrate an understanding of the difference between Ordnance Survey and latitude/longitude coordinates.

Using an Ordnance Survey map (1:25 000 or 1:50 000 scale) plan a route of at least 4km that contains a minimum of 10 waypoints. Discuss the features and challenges that exist along the route. Programme the route into a hand-held GPS and undertake the journey.

Sign up to a geocaching website. Find out about geocaching and demonstrate an understanding of what is involved in both locating and placing a geocache.

Demonstrate an understanding of the safety and environmental aspects of geocaching, e.g. relevant Activity Rules in chapter nine of Policy, Organisation and Rules; Highway Code; Countryside Code and guidelines produced by the Geocaching Association of Great Britain (GAGB).

Find five geocaches using a GPS, at least 3 of which must be 'multi-caches' with at least two waypoints. Discuss the accuracy of the information provided and of the GPS receiver you used.

With adult assistance where necessary:

Plan, assemble and hide 2 caches, one of which should be a multi-cache. The planning should involve making sure the location is suitable and that other navigators have proper access to the land and terrain

Either submit your caches to a geocaching website, or give the details to other Scouts to successfully find the caches.

I have been working with a local group of Scouts with the GPS side of the Navigator badge.

I can see the benefit of the multi side of the requirements although I haven't discussed that with them yet.

Accuracy is something that they all seemed to struggle with. They seemed to expect the "distance from" to go down to zero on the GPSr. I explained that on paper, the units weren't that accurate and they should keep their eyes peeled for clues as to where the caches could be hidden.

They have found some "tester" caches placed for the evening to get them into it all.

I was surprised at the enthusiasm that the Scouts had for Geocaching. Even the leaders were amazed that there was unanimous support from each pack that I took out.

The end result is that they are going to buy 2 GPS units and are planning to roll out the GPS side of navigation across the entire district.

I think that the requirements listed are intended to give a rounded understanding of Global Positioning and its uses. Geocaching serves as a great incentive to get from A to B.

At time of typing, I am waiting until the group get the CRB check done on me before we get really serious and go out into the wild and find some real caches.

Im sure others will have already done the Geocaching element of the Navigator badge already and will have advice for you. I will been reading with interest.

Good luck

The end result is that they are going to buy 2 GPS units and are planning to roll out the GPS side of navigation across the entire district.

Am I the only one shocked that Scout groups don't include a handheld GPS in their usual kit as a matter of course anyway? Or has Scouting changed that much since I were a lad?

Am I the only one shocked that Scout groups don't include a handheld GPS in their usual kit as a matter of course anyway? Or has Scouting changed that much since I were a lad?

Unfortunately most Scout navigation exercises ban not only the use of GPSrs but also mobile phones, particularly the hike side of things.

Although some of the more forward thinking leaders promote the use alongside traditional maps and compasses and even the stars.

Unfortunately most Scout navigation exercises ban not only the use of GPSrs but also mobile phones, particularly the hike side of things.

Although some of the more forward thinking leaders promote the use alongside traditional maps and compasses and even the stars.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of equipment carried by the scouts - more by the scout leaders and supervisors....

Essex Country Parks are offering Geocaching Sessions for Scouts/Guides etc in the 9 Essex Country Parks we have 40 Garmin venture GPS units for the kids to use and have a series of official caches already placed in the parks or can place caches just for the day for groups...... unfortunately the take up of these sessions has been very poor.

Where else are the Groups going to have access to 40 GPS units that the kids can take out and try.

I have just returned from Weald country park after taking 30 new cachers out and showing the joys of caching in the English summer (pouring rain) - they loved it and ages ranged from 4 to 70.

Our Scout group does have GPS but thats only because we are cachers......

Tim, for many years cost was a problem for our explorer unit. We have recently sourced 6 yellow etrex GPS's for me to teach geocaching and for them to use for navigation in general. Ive set them up so the first screen that appears when they turn it on has all the information on it that they need to relay back to base if they get lost so we an pinpoint them. Sometimes they walk with a leader in tow and sometimes not depending on the terrain, experience and general weather conditions.

Mark

I wasn't necessarily thinking of equipment carried by the scouts - more by the scout leaders and supervisors....

Come on we are Scout leaders! we dont get lost :) much!

BUt for many activities leaders are not allowed with the young people, overland and junior downsmen challenges..

For our groups Expedition Challenge badge we sent them off with an etrex, for emergencies only, set up for British grid reference so that if they got lost they could use the GPS to work out where they were on the map and so get back on track. They have also been out caching with us and have loved it. We use the GPS to enhance map reading rather than totally replace it.

For our groups Expedition Challenge badge we sent them off with an etrex, for emergencies only, set up for British grid reference so that if they got lost they could use the GPS to work out where they were on the map and so get back on track. They have also been out caching with us and have loved it. We use the GPS to enhance map reading rather than totally replace it.

Exactly what we do with our unit.

Mark