mickey diver on ebay

RedShoesGirl

I dont have a any mystery coins, but if I did, they would goto my grave with me!!! I read more than I post, I'm not here to say what is right or wrong, I just think the honor of recieving a mystery coin would be more than the money recieved from selling it on e-bay.

Yemon Yime summed it up, you sell your "gifts" the less "gifts" you get.

One day I hope to see my address in the return field on a package ;)

First off: new folks, if you're interested in receiving mystery coins, check out this thread, which tells you how to get into the Geocoins Forum's address book. If I understand correctly, that's how many mystery coiners make up their mailing lists.

Next: there are absolutely no rules regarding mystery coins, in the Groundspeak sense of the word, other than that if the coin is trackable, that its design be approved by Groundspeak, that it have a tracking code, etc and all of the other rules that apply to geocoins in general. There are also no laws regarding mystery coins.

There is, however, a definite sense of tradition or custom (if you think of the geocoin community as a subculture); with regards to mystery coins, the general consensus is that they shouldn't be sold for profit without the mystery coiner's permission and/or a really, really pressing financial reason.

Does this mean that you have to have permission? No, of course not. As has been pointed out, if someone gives you something (even, or especially, unsolicited), then it's yours to do with as you please. Even if there's a card with it that says "please don't sell", it's a request, which is the best that anyone can do with something someone's giving out (it's what I do with the AEs I drop in caches; I can only ask; there's no way for me to require unless I go the Moun10Bike way, and there's no guarantee that Groundspeak will do that for everyone).

If you sell a mystery coin, you risk running into the objections of the community, but it is just as wrong to definitively say "no one should criticize me for doing this" as it is to say "you absolutely cannot sell a mystery coin". So sell the coin. Just understand that as it runs counter to the community's morals/customs regarding mystery coins, that there will be a reaction (and understand that as other mystery coiners see you selling other coiners' coins, that you'll be less likely to receive coins in the future, if the coiners care about such things). That's just how it is.

Likewise, you absolutely positively do not have to justify or explain the personal situation that has caused you to sell the coin. You absolutely do not have to put your business out there, not at all. But understand that since the general tradition is to justify, in some way, a mystery coin's sale, that if you don't, that you'll probably run into a reaction (and probably a negative one). It's just the way it is.

(For what it's worth, I personally would be satisfied with something like "Due to unforeseen and very personal circumstances, I've asked for and obtained permission to sell this coin". Not that, of course, my satisfaction is required or even desired. I'm just saying, though, that while I personally would raise an eyebrow to see a mystery coin sold with no explanation at all*, I would trust just about any member of the community if they said that there was a situation -- I don't need the salacious details, for what it's worth.)

*I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and think things like "gee, something awful must be going on for so-and-so to consider selling such a valuable mystery coin".

I wonder if the people bidding $172.00 are aware that this coin is a nontrackable micro... I mean it's tiny! ;)

CF30

Yep :laughing: But I didn't win it. :)

I haven't ebayed any mystery coins to date since I feel it's wrong to do so, but who's stopping anyone from doing it, then if someone values the financial gain over the gift then it just says something about that person.

To some buying a mystery geocoin is lesserthan getting one as a gift... for me, getting one in the mail is lesser than finding one in a cache.

;) Well.. maybe "rules" was not the right word I used!

It is not a law or something but a rule between the mystery maker and the receiver.... I do not know how to say that... an obligation?

Groundspeak doesn't have these but it is like the writen and unwriten rules and laws... that we follow....

Anyway.... Happy new month to all! :)

man this needs to be closed.....shouldn't have been started in the first place considering the op sold a mystery coin herself when her engine blew.

Really?

... should never say never cause you don't know what's in your future.

Very, VERY true.

;) Well.. maybe "rules" was not the right word I used!

It is not a law or something but a rule between the mystery maker and the receiver.... I do not know how to say that... an obligation?

Groundspeak doesn't have these but it is like the writen and unwriten rules and laws... that we follow....

Anyway.... Happy new month to all! :)

Well, that's just the thing. Not everyone who gets a coin (or finds a coin) has willingly entered into an obligation with the coin maker. I'd say that it's a custom, but it certainly isn't a law. People may or may not have good reasons (or any reasons at all) for selling mystery coins they've received; if they don't, then I don't think they should be surprised by a negative response (especially if there was a card enclosed with the coin asking the receiver not to sell the coin which, of course, he or she is not actually obligated to do). Obviously not everyone felt negatively, though, because if that were the case, the coin wouldn't have gotten such high bids.

I think that YY put his finger on it: if it really were to become a problem, what you'd see is mystery coiners simply not making coins any more, or only sending them to very specific persons.

I personally wouldn't sell or trade a mystery coin or a gifted coin. But it's up to each individual person to decide what's right for them. If the person selling the coin feels ok with it, and especially since the maker said it's up to them to decide, then I don't see the problem with the sale. If they are having financial problems, hopefully things will turn around for the better. Good luck.

man this needs to be closed.....shouldn't have been started in the first place considering the op sold a mystery coin herself when her engine blew.

Really?

Yes, but the coin was given to her by the mystery coin giver for the very purpose of selling it to cover financial obligations. Careful of picking soundbites and ignoring the story.

I cringe when I see someone designate themselves as the geocaching police. In my view, it is nothing more than a tattle tale. Why do you think your ways are better than anyone elses? You have no idea why they are selling the coins and you only cause trouble for someone that may be in a crisis. It also is none of your business what their problems are and they don't have to explain anything to me or you. I haven't looked on ebay so I don't know who is selling it. I also sell on ebay because it is fun and not because I need the money. I have two mystery geocoins and I wouldn't sell them but I don't think it is right to judge the person who sells mystery coins. Perhaps they aren't into collecting them or need the money for other reasons. I believe that for some it is very hard to sell their coins and to have the geocaching community pass judgment on them for doing so is not appealing. I am glad some of you have other coins that you can sell but unless you are trading 13-15 coins for the mickey diver coin I don't see the seller making the same kind of money from selling traded coins.

When I received my mystery coins there was no slip of paper telling me I couldn't sell them. When someone gifts you a coin you can do with what you want or else it is not a gift. I don't need permission to sell the item if it was a gift. The seller risks never receiving a mystery coin again but perhaps the money is more important to them right now.

REALLY?

Did you CRINGE when you Policed me in a PM ?

About the same seller, as a matter of fact!!!!!!!

Why, Your "Police-ing" with your own post!!!! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't you just let people have their opinion , too??????

Instead of Cringing, maybe you could understand how a True coin collector feels.

One that really WANTS a mystery coin , And never gets one.

people should be careful who they "Step On " on the way up the ladder, They'll Have to pass them on the way back down!!!!!!

Opalsns

Edited by opalsns

man this needs to be closed.....shouldn't have been started in the first place considering the op sold a mystery coin herself when her engine blew....

what? did you forget this part?

even when things were so bad i had to replace the engine in my car, i only sold one of my mystery coins, donated by the maker to help out.

what part of that do you not understand? and that information was in the auction description.

and i made a mistake, the maker generously donated TWO coins. car engines cost about $4000.

sheesh ...

Edited by RedShoesGirl

man this needs to be closed.....shouldn't have been started in the first place considering the op sold a mystery coin herself when her engine blew....

even when things were so bad i had to replace the engine in my car, i only sold one of my mystery coins, donated by the maker to help out.

what part of that do you not understand? and that information was in the auction description.

and i made a mistake, the maker generously donated TWO coins. car engines cost about $4000.

sheesh ...

SHEESH.... a mystery coin is a mystery coin is a mystery coin....just because YOU needed the money it was alright ???

what part don't you understand ??

What I read in this thread has to do with people worried about the Mystery Coin givers stopping the mystery giving because of someone else that just wants to make money. For example, the current coin on ebay is from an active Ebayer. Obviously they are in it for the money. No matter how they got the coin, it IS for sale. Acceptable or not from the maker/givers point of view, it is still for sale. And, I'm just using this one for the example, because it is the topic of this thread. Now going on, as far as "tradition" with MC's, it may(or may not) wreck the MC giving from any of the "givers", or even 1 of them. Which, I see it as the topic of the drama about selling MC's. Wrong?

Now, if I ever got 1, I wouldn't sell it. Heck, I won 2 so far from cointests, and wouldn't get rid of them, as someone was generous enough to gift it to me for very little reason. Neither of the 2 may be the favorites of my small collection, but they won't leave my collection either.

:laughing:

sheesh ...

SHEESH.... a mystery coin is a mystery coin is a mystery coin....just because YOU needed the money it was alright ???

what part don't you understand ??

so why are you so angry?

many coins were donated to me to help with the rebuild on the car. just as i have donated coins and or money to other causes that affect coiners.

you are pissed at something or you are channeling someone else's emotions. i can imagine the seller might be feeling a bit defensive.

a mystery coin is a mystery coin - and if the mystery giver wishes to help someone out, then that is THEIR prerogative.

so if was not ok for me to sell a coin that was gifted to me for charitable reasons, then by your logic it is DEFINITELY not ok for the seller to auction off the mickey diver.

you are swimming in a murky swamp at this point.

your anger is pretty amazing considering all the other people that have weighed in on this, supporting the sale of a mystery coin IF the giver has sanctioned the sale.

you just don't want to get it.

Honestly I am angry that this topic was started.

Yeah I know you were given this coin to auction off to help with the Walter fund, crap it was in the forums everyday. Good for you.

But you started this topic in what seemed to me to be a target at the seller and it's just shouldn't have been done when you don't know the circumstances. Actually, I don't know why the mickey diver was sold and frankly don't really give a dang, it's their business and conscious to live with, not mine or anyones else's.

All I'm saying is that if you believe it's okay for you to sell a mc because you needed money and you had permission, why condone someone else without knowing the whole story behind it. Maybe you should have sent the seller an email before bringing it here to the forums.

Honestly I am angry that this topic was started. ...

well, then that's your problem not mine.

the topic was started, folks have weighed in with their thoughts. i don't see a problem with that. so far you are the only one, that i can tell, is having a problem.

I'm afraid this thread has become too personal to continue. Take your personal issues offline. There are other, more civil threads open where you can discuss whether, or not, one should sell a mystery, or gifted coin. There can't even be a right answer, because no one knows what another person goes through, until they walk a mile in their shoes. I'm closing this before it bursts into flames.