mickey diver on ebay

RedShoesGirl

i thought we had this conversation a while back about selling mystery coins. i think there are enough people who would be happy to trade many coins for the mickey diver. those traded coins then could be sold.

why sell a mystery coin when it could go to someone who really wanted it who couldn't pay through the nose.

people made such a fuss when arthur and trillian sold mystery coins but now it is ok? i find that rather sad that the mickey diver is up for auction. i am pretty sure that was not the intent of the maker.

BUT if the maker gave permission that's a different story, but it does not say that in the ad.

is money more important than ethics? maybe there i a good reason for selling that coin, but as i said above, trading it for desirable, saleable coins would be better, i think.

seems this issue needs to be talked about every once in a while. perhaps i am wrong ... perhaps things have changed in the forum's attitude.

rsg

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Personally, I would have to be terribly desperate to sell a mystery coin or a gift coin. I mean, along the order of I-have-no-money-left-at-all-have-already-gone-through-bankruptcy-and-my-daughter-needs-emergent-medical-care-I-can't-pay-for-AND-I-haven't-gotten-a-response-from-the-coiner needy.

I don't think I'd even trade a mystery coin unless the coiner gave me permission: I mean, the coin was meant for me, right? It's a gift. Unless it came with permission to trade already, I'd hold onto it with my greedy little Jackal paws. That being said, I think that your idea -- that it's better to trade, then sell the coins traded for -- is a pretty darn good idea (and I'm willing to bet you could make more out of the deal than you would by putting the coin in eBay, though I suppose it depends on the coin).

Which reminds me. I already have my coins separated out into the "very valuable; sell on eBay first" box for my husband if something should ever happen to me; I'll have to make another (small) pouch of "do not sell under any circumstances unless the following persons grant permission" coins.

Edited to add: saw the auction. Ouch! Maybe you couldn't get more for coins traded for what it's going for (depends on what coins you got for the trade). I do hope the seller has permission, though; I'm sure the mystery coiners take note of who's selling their coins.

Edited by Jackalgirl

Yup,

It figures.

As bad as I have it now, I would NEVER sell a MYSTERY coin , but would do a trade for a sellable. Not now though.

I don't see anywhere that permission was given , either.

But I know it doesn't matter to " a certain seller " who was personally asked NOT to sell a personal and then Listed it as soon as they got it.

makes you sick dont it. theres many of us who really love being honoured by being gifted these mystery coins, then you see someone like this selling one they were gifted.

ive nothing against seeing the sale of a special coin like this if its a genuine charity sale and you know the mystery coiner has given the coin for the charity but greed like this just makes me sick, cos you know theres always someone who will cough up the money like that.

Where's the special memory in mystery coins, if you buy them?

All those mystery coins I ever got made me very happy, I had a feeling of being special, to be choosen as one, who appreciates such a gesture.

They also made me very humble, as there is noone really to say thank you to. Or repay in kind with sending a token back to them. Cause noone really knows, to whom to be thankful to.

I haven't got many mystery coins, but those who found their way into my mailbox are very dear to me, I keep them in a special box together with the envelope they came in. I wouldn't ever sell those, as well as I wouldn't sell another gift coin.

Traded in coins might get into my box of traders, gifts never will.

Mystery coins neither.

The fun is to get them, as it is a complete mystery who might be so bighearted to send out a special coin just to please me. Without getting a trade back.

To repay that generosity by auctioning the coin off to the highest bidder, is very rude.

If one doesn't like the coin anymore, it can be gifted to someone, who might appreciate it...

Just my two crumbs of cake...

It is so sad.....

I do not like seeing mystery coins being sold just to earn some money!

It is only ok if the maker, the mystery coiner gives the permision! And this always has to do about something serious, a health problem, an economical problem or for a donation....

The mystery coiners are spending their beautiful money who actually made with sweat from their job (they are not finding the money on the road... as we say here..), just to make us happy! At least I consider them as a kind of a medal of friendship, happyness..... that is why they are so special!

and most of these coins have a card or something saying that they are not to be sold! someone spend his money and gifted the coin to us... and we just can not even respect a simple wish???

I have seperated the mystery coins I found in caches or in my mailbox too! I have them in a different section in my collection! For them I feel that I am the keeper and not the owner! I also do that in some other coins, but especially for the mystery ones!!!

It would be nice if there are auctions with them and see them to comunicate with the mystery coin maker (many have account...) and the sellers to write in their auctions that they have the permission from the mystery maker!!!

Just because this can be put and actually the mystery coin maker will not even know it... It would have been nice if a special thread would be created where the seller and the mystery maker would post that the coin is "clean" so it is ok to sell it! Especially the post of the mystery maker has to be there!

I have seen in time mystery coins or coins that are not to be sold, in auctions! In some I contacted with the mystery maker and let him know about it! I didn't know the seller, the biders or the mystery maker! I just felt that I was doing the right thing! If more will do that... maybe.... things will be better!

This may sound like a kind of geocaching police, but... I believe ti is for good!!!

I fully understand your point. But to those of us who have never, and I mean never, received a gifted coin, it seems like purchasing one is the only way. I could never afford to pay that kind of money for a coin. At this point I can only hope of trading coins. Being gifted a coin seems like it is only for the people who have been collecting for a long time. Not for us newbees. :)

I am a rather newbie to geocaching and geocoins. I will tell you this I LOVE everything about this hobby. I would be so unbelievably honored and grateful to receive a mystery coin. I'm going to use this post to shamelessly tell my sob story and why Geocaching is so important to me.

I was dx'ed with MS 10 years ago when I was 26 years old. The MS initially presented by me loosing complete vision in one eye for almost a month, after very heavy doses of steroids the vision came back. Within that first year I lost vision in each eye for a total of four times. Being dx'ed with MS really rocked my world. I was inspired though through all these trials and tribulations and went back to school for my nursing degree. I eventually got my RN 3 years ago and have been nursing ever since! I discovered geocaching by hearing a review for the geo app on a xm radio talk show. I downloaded the app and it's been geocaching history ever since for me. I was never a big person to go out doors or to enjoy nature. I was more inclined to be at home playing with my electronic gadgets or video games or reading. Geocaching has combined tech with nature and that has gotten me more outdoors in the past two months than I have in all my life! I am becoming such a nature lover. Each geocoin I have or collect means something special to me. I have my ups and downs with the MS but i continue to have it, it does not have me! I would NEVER sell, trade, or especially auction off a mystery coin. I just think it is so wrong and makes the coin meaningless, I feel bad for the buyer of the auction to buy a coin that is intended as a gift. So, I'm not sure who sends the coins out or what but I would so HONORED to receive a mystery coin.... I hope i have not bored anyone with my story or my extreme dislike for someone auctioning or buying a mystery coin.... And I hope I have not violated any rules shamelessly asking for a mystery coin to the mystery giver out there :)

Yodabuds

I know how you feel. I have just been diagnosed with parkinsons. I would never purchase a mystery coin myself and would be HONORED as well to be gifted a mystery coin. I have a GPS but can't use it and walking has become more and more difficult. I do enjoy living in the Boonies where I can look at the Hills of Tennessee. I only have tried trading some of the coins I have to get one because I will probably never make it to Disney or dive. I love Mickey Mouse and have since I was a child and I use to love swimming. I never got the chance to dive. Sorry to bore everyone.

I fully understand your point. But to those of us who have never, and I mean never, received a gifted coin, it seems like purchasing one is the only way. I could never afford to pay that kind of money for a coin. At this point I can only hope of trading coins. Being gifted a coin seems like it is only for the people who have been collecting for a long time. Not for us newbees. :)

Don't give up hope. The newest Mystery coin has gone out to quite a few realtive newbies. :(

Oh! I just saw it.... 172.72 $???? And there are still 13 hours to go????

I hope I will not be missunderstood... I really like the mickey diver coin and I would love to have one, but 173$???

If I had that money I would had bought a gold coin! I mean a real gold coin!!!

As I said...I hope the myster maker of the mickey diver will forgive me, I am not saying anything bad for his beautiful coin but some prices I see are.... :)

:)

Sorry I have to ask, what exactly is a mystery coin?

:P Mystery coins.....

they are called mystery becasue we may see them, we may have them but... we do not know who made them!

some are trackable and some not! Most of them are not trackable!

You may find them in caches, or many times a letter is comming to you and it is a really mysterious letter! :blink:

the sender is you and it comes to you!!! So... you actually do not know who send it!!! they are gifts from kind and generous geocachers who keep they their real name secret! :D

Most of them only ask you to make a post here in the forums and say that you are one of the lucky receivers and they are asking us not to sell the coin!

there are many different out there and all are so lovely!!! :D

Oh.. you will probably ask... but hw they find our addresses..... well... it's a mystery! :(

Ok... there is a address list but many coins came in the hands of cachers who were not in that list!!! So... it is a mystery! ;)

:)

You may find them in caches, or many times a letter is comming to you and it is a really mysterious letter! :D

the sender is you and it comes to you!!! So... you actually do not know who send it!!! they are gifts from kind and generous geocachers who keep they their real name secret! :P

Most of them only ask you to make a post here in the forums and say that you are one of the lucky receivers and they are asking us not to sell the coin!

there are many different out there and all are so lovely!!! :D

Oh.. you will probably ask... but hw they find our addresses..... well... it's a mystery! :(

Ok... there is a address list but many coins came in the hands of cachers who were not in that list!!! So... it is a mystery! ;)

That is soooo cool!

So... my question is... Will that person be receiving any more mystery coins ;) I know that I wouldn't sell one.... I mean if somebody is in that great of need for money, there can always be a charity set up.... or sell the coins available in their inventory that are supposed to be sold.

I am sure that there was a valid reason behind selling the coin... maybe the seller didn't know how to get ahold of the coiner... or didn't realize that it wasn't supposed to be sold :/

Edited by goosefraba1

i never ever lookon E~bay so i don`t know what coinzzzzzzzzzzzzzz are be on sale there...........

but it break my heart every time when i read in here that there is a MYSTERY COIN on sale.............

i do get mystery coinzzzz and by the most mystery i`m selfish i keep them for myself they have a specail place in my heart and they are standing on my closet so that i see them each day knowing that this family do care for me............

but i must be honest some mystery`zzzzzz coinzzzzzz are ment for someone else that i know so i do pass them on to that person were i feel that they deserve it more then me that time is that a STRANGE THOUGHT???

oke i can go on and on telling my vieuw about this but i won`t the only thing i can say is that the maker of a mystery don`t deserve that the coin is on sale.......

IT BREAK MY HEART TO READ THIZZZZZZZ OVER AND OVER AGAIN.......

im not going to lie i had no idea what a mystery coin was but ive only been playing for almost a year now.

but how and why would you sell something that was a gift. that isnt right. some people have no respect. if i got a coin i would never get rid of it. but maybe thats just me....... and SOME others

I actually know why this coin was originally a mystery coin. Mickey Mouse sillouette is actually trademarked by disney and it is a trademark violation to make it without permission. GC.com would not allow this to be coded either. So the coin was made and the maker is unknown to avoid legal issues.

Not condoning the sale of a mystery coin, but what if the coin was purchased as part of a larger collection. It likely wouldn't hold any value to the new owner, as it wasn't gifted to them.

Lots of people lose interest in geocoin collection and sell their collection as a lot. The fact that a coin was a personal or a mystery coin shouldn't stop the purchaser from reselling it. As has been demonstrated with the Mickey Diver, there will be people willing to spend a lot to add it to their collection!

;)

:laughing: Mystery coins.....

they are called mystery becasue we may see them, we may have them but... we do not know who made them!

You may find them in caches, or many times a letter is comming to you and it is a really mysterious letter! :D

the sender is you and it comes to you!!! So... you actually do not know who send it!!! they are gifts from kind and generous geocachers who keep they their real name secret! :laughing:

there are many different out there and all are so lovely!!! :)

Oh.. you will probably ask... but hw they find our addresses..... well... it's a mystery! :)

Ok... there is a address list but many coins came in the hands of cachers who were not in that list!!! So... it is a mystery! :laughing:

That is an amazing mystery!! VERY Special, thank you SOO much for answering GATOULIS! I understand much better now! :)

Not condoning the sale of a mystery coin, but what if the coin was purchased as part of a larger collection. It likely wouldn't hold any value to the new owner, as it wasn't gifted to them.

Lots of people lose interest in geocoin collection and sell their collection as a lot. The fact that a coin was a personal or a mystery coin shouldn't stop the purchaser from reselling it. As has been demonstrated with the Mickey Diver, there will be people willing to spend a lot to add it to their collection!

My thoughts exactly. I doubt this is her own personally gifted mystery coin that's on the block but one she obtained through a trade or even collection purchase. I thought the whole issue of selling mystery coins was addressing the ethics of selling personal gifts from anonymous givers.

Hmm... that's a good question.....

If someone bought a collection hand by hand, or trade for something else and inside there was this coin..... why not sell it...

In that case, I understand the seller, but since he/she is mostly in geocoins he probably knows what is going on with mystery coins! and.... if you do not know you can always search or... ask! ;)

I am wondering... if you buy a coin or a collection... especially in mystery coins.... you do not take its papers with them too? I mean the paper or card that is saying that this coin is not to be sold....and if not... you can always ask about it!

No matter if you trade for the coin etc... the thing that is added doesn't change... right? The "please do not sell this coin" is still active! :laughing:

This is not for the lucky receivers of a mystery coin but t is a rule of the coin. The mystery maker is not selling these coins and he doesn't want to see anyone else selling it!

Now about the Mickey diver and the Disney... I didn't know that!! WOW!

But since the maker continued and mint the coin and he kept his ID secret... the coin is a mystery one! :laughing:

Was the owner selling the coin or he was placing into caches or send them as a gift? If he was selling them, the coin is probably a comon one, one of the signature item non trackable personal coins.... so...

Oh.. now that I remembered...... there are non trackable coins that are not mystery and have the same rule... not to sell it... for example... the beautiful non trackable personal coin of ScoutingWV geocoin!

And as you saw I am not counting the Lackeys 2007 (was the same thing with the Lackey 2005 too?), the Moun10bikes coins..... :)

Ive been very lucky and also very greatful to recieve quite a few mystery coins..

i traded one when i first started for a LE tengwar, silver around gold 12 minted.. but i dont know if now i would do the same thing, i did not have the understanding i do now.. so i dont think i would ,,plus i have other valueable wanted coins now i could trade instead then i only had very few.. so probably not.

i recieved one reciently carpe diem!!! and its final resting place is with me!!!! im very greatful to recieve a mystery coin.. so it stays with me!!!!

I've never received a mystery coin, but I did win a cointest and I treasure that coin.

I also received an award coin for completing the Tour de Cache - NJ County Challenge. Not long ago, I saw that coin for sale on ebay and wondered why someone would want to buy an AWARD coin? Makes no sense to me. ;)

...l be people willing to spend a lot to add it to their collection!

My thoughts exactly. I doubt this is her own personally gifted mystery coin that's on the block but one she obtained through a trade or even collection purchase. I thought the whole issue of selling mystery coins was addressing the ethics of selling personal gifts from anonymous givers.

while i understand what you are saying, i think the original intent of a mystery coin should stay intact, even if it was part of a larger collection that was bought. trade it away, give it away, but don't sell. i think i am purist that way.

if we subscribe to the notion if we buy something, or receive something as a gift, or through a trade, it is ours to do with as we wish, including selling it, why do we insist of following mountainbike's restrictions on his coin? i have never understood the reasons for that.

does someone want that coin SO bad they are willing to say they are just borrowing it because mountainbike retains ownership? i understand the value of that coin, someone offered to sell me one. i had to keep it a secret, of course, if i bought it. it was a bit out of the range of my pocketbook.

even when things were so bad i had to replace the engine in my car, i only sold one of my mystery coins, donated by the maker to help out. i still regret selling that coin. ;)

rsg

I think there is a broader issue here and am wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

I wonder if eBay encourages selling and, by default, discourages trading? Not sure if anyone has even looked at the trading thread in a while, but I remember a time when offers and requests would fill up the 50-post max in a single day, and then some. It's simply not that way now.

I understand that hard times and tough knocks hit EVERYONE, and coin resales offer a way to get some $$ quickly and (relatively) painlessly. However, not everyone feels the same way about certain coins, and instead view all coins as the same commodity. Therefore, while some of us are saddened or outraged by any mystery coin being sold, there is an excellent probability that most ebay purchasers are not visitors to this forum and so are not aware of the distinction (mystery coin vs "regular" coin). In short, a coin is a coin.

I don't have a mikey diver, but are these coins received WITH INSTRUCTIONS/REQUESTS not to be sold?

A possible solution, for those of you who sell coins, is to include in your descriptions of coins a link to these forums and suggest that trades can be arranged IF you have extra geocoins to trade. It would serve two purposes:

1) provide newbies a place to go for information/education, and

2) possibly breathe new life into the trading arena!

Just a thought...

;)

:laughing: Mystery coins.....

the sender is you and it comes to you!!! So... you actually do not know who send it!!! they are gifts from kind and generous geocachers who keep they their real name secret! :laughing:

there are many different out there and all are so lovely!!! :)

Oh.. you will probably ask... but hw they find our addresses..... well... it's a mystery! :)

Ok... there is a address list but many coins came in the hands of cachers who were not in that list!!! So... it is a mystery! :laughing:

That is an amazing mystery!! VERY Special, thank you SOO much for answering GATOULIS! I understand much better now! :)

Thanks for the explanation. I did not know what a mystery coin was either. I had a back and forth discussion a few weeks back on another thread and someone mentioned gifting. I asked what that was but it didn't get answered ... so I think this is what they meant. I wonder how the generous gift giver gets someones address though? I guess that's part of the mystery ... lol.

Thanks for the explanation. I did not know what a mystery coin was either. I had a back and forth discussion a few weeks back on another thread and someone mentioned gifting. I asked what that was but it didn't get answered ... so I think this is what they meant. I wonder how the generous gift giver gets someones address though? I guess that's part of the mystery ... lol.

gifting is not just for mystery coins. i have sent people coins because they really wanted it more than i did, and have been gifted coins - especially when i first starting coining. pretty cool, especially to send to someone out of the blue! i always got a kick out of their reaction. :-)

rsg

There have been other threads on this topic over the years with feelings ranging from I would never sell it or trade it to a gift isn't really a gift if it has restrictions on it. My personal feeling is that the mystery giver doesn't want the coin to be sold unless it specifically says it was for that reason or donated to a charity auction. In a way trading the mystery coin for other coins to sell is profiting from the generosity of the giver also but at least it isn't sold outright. I bought a mystery coin once but I thought the price of it was within the spirit it was given as I paid no more for it than regular coins were selling at the time. I then gifted it to someone who dearly wanted it. I have also gifted a couple of mine also.

I know the excitement of finding one in a cache. I also know the disappointment of not finding it in a cache. I know the feeling of getting that envelope from me to me in the mail and I know that they specifically wanted ME to have it. Makes me feel special, honored and humbled all at the same time.

In the end there is no right or wrong answer here. I just know what I would do if the occasion rose where I had to sell everything.

So... my question is... Will that person be receiving any more mystery coins ;) I know that I wouldn't sell one.... I mean if somebody is in that great of need for money, there can always be a charity set up.... or sell the coins available in their inventory that are supposed to be sold.

I am sure that there was a valid reason behind selling the coin... maybe the seller didn't know how to get ahold of the coiner... or didn't realize that it wasn't supposed to be sold :/

The person selling the mickey diver is well aware of what mystery coins are and realizes that they are not meant to be sold. She does post here but not as frequently as in the past.

A few years ago a well known cacher sold her Geocoin Fairy coin on ebay and after that several others were sold at quite high prices. Two versions of this coin had been minted and one more in a different metal had been been planned. After these sales the Geocoin Fairy decided to mint that metal but sell them herself because she was so upset that others were taking advantage of her generosity and profiting from it. So essentially other people's "greed" led to one mystery coin dying and stopping the fun for everyone else. It was a shame.

gifting is not just for mystery coins. i have sent people coins because they really wanted it more than i did, and have been gifted coins - especially when i first starting coining. pretty cool, especially to send to someone out of the blue! i always got a kick out of their reaction. :-)

rsg

Yes! Not only mystery coins are gifted!! There are many great and generous geocachers who are giving or sending coins as a gift!!!!

All the gifted coins I have are not for sale at any price!!

RSG gifted me a Tranquility coin!! she honored me so much with that... (like all my good friends here who gifted me a coin or more!!!)! These coins have special value for me and I feel as a keeper of them and not 100% the owner! How can I sell these coins??? someone else bought them spent his money and then he/she gifted them to me!!! Do I have the right...now that they are in my hand to sell them? I do not think so... but this is just my opinion! ;)

I also forgot that some coins are even adopted! A cacher is adopting to you one of his coins and you can see it travel! The cacher is doing that so you can have travellers out there and andshare the feeling, or so you can have a trackable too.... and mostly as a pay in forward becasue they received other coins as a gift or with adoption....

Would it be nice when and if one of these special coins reach its goal (let's say that you put the goal to reach you!). and you will have it in your hands... to sell it? No matter if it will be worn etc... ok? So... will that be nice? Nope! :)

There have been other threads on this topic over the years with feelings ranging from I would never sell it or trade it to a gift isn't really a gift if it has restrictions on it. My personal feeling is that the mystery giver doesn't want the coin to be sold unless it specifically says it was for that reason or donated to a charity auction. In a way trading the mystery coin for other coins to sell is profiting from the generosity of the giver also but at least it isn't sold outright. I bought a mystery coin once but I thought the price of it was within the spirit it was given as I paid no more for it than regular coins were selling at the time. I then gifted it to someone who dearly wanted it. I have also gifted a couple of mine also.

I know the excitement of finding one in a cache. I also know the disappointment of not finding it in a cache. I know the feeling of getting that envelope from me to me in the mail and I know that they specifically wanted ME to have it. Makes me feel special, honored and humbled all at the same time.

In the end there is no right or wrong answer here. I just know what I would do if the occasion rose where I had to sell everything.

So... my question is... Will that person be receiving any more mystery coins :laughing: I know that I wouldn't sell one.... I mean if somebody is in that great of need for money, there can always be a charity set up.... or sell the coins available in their inventory that are supposed to be sold.

The person selling the mickey diver is well aware of what mystery coins are and realizes that they are not meant to be sold. She does post here but not as frequently as in the past.

A few years ago a well known cacher sold her Geocoin Fairy coin on ebay and after that several others were sold at quite high prices. Two versions of this coin had been minted and one more in a different metal had been been planned. After these sales the Geocoin Fairy decided to mint that metal but sell them herself because she was so upset that others were taking advantage of her generosity and profiting from it. So essentially other people's "greed" led to one mystery coin dying and stopping the fun for everyone else. It was a shame.

Oh!!! I didn't know that about fairy coins! Hmm.. A few years ago... maybe I was not a geocacher when this happent! that is why fairies never reached my island! ;)

Your stoy shows the problem! The mystery maker loses all the fun and actually thinks that he is being fooled by others! He feels stupid! Sorry, I do not want to say anything bad about these great guys, ok? I am just trying to say the feeling!!!

Can you imagine if you were a mystery coin maker, and you were spending.... sorry I do not know prices a lot, let's say 2000 dollars to make a mystery coin, AND... you also spend money in postages (we do not count that but can you imagine if you send 100 coins with post office.... how much you have to spent???), so you can bring some smile to someone that you actually do not know him so good.... and he get it and after some weeks he puts it in Ebay to sell it and gets some money?

You spent money for the coin but someone else earned money by selling it... so you have a double loss!

And... here comes the thought.... why I have to keep doing this?? I will continue making coins and then sell them and get my money back and who knows... maybe I will have a profit too!

All the fun is gone and.... :)

It is so sad.....

I do not like seeing mystery coins being sold just to earn some money!

It is only ok if the maker, the mystery coiner gives the permision! And this always has to do about something serious, a health problem, an economical problem or for a donation....

The mystery coiners are spending their beautiful money who actually made with sweat from their job (they are not finding the money on the road... as we say here..), just to make us happy! At least I consider them as a kind of a medal of friendship, happyness..... that is why they are so special!

and most of these coins have a card or something saying that they are not to be sold! someone spend his money and gifted the coin to us... and we just can not even respect a simple wish???

I have seperated the mystery coins I found in caches or in my mailbox too! I have them in a different section in my collection! For them I feel that I am the keeper and not the owner! I also do that in some other coins, but especially for the mystery ones!!!

It would be nice if there are auctions with them and see them to comunicate with the mystery coin maker (many have account...) and the sellers to write in their auctions that they have the permission from the mystery maker!!!

Just because this can be put and actually the mystery coin maker will not even know it... It would have been nice if a special thread would be created where the seller and the mystery maker would post that the coin is "clean" so it is ok to sell it! Especially the post of the mystery maker has to be there!

I have seen in time mystery coins or coins that are not to be sold, in auctions! In some I contacted with the mystery maker and let him know about it! I didn't know the seller, the biders or the mystery maker! I just felt that I was doing the right thing! If more will do that... maybe.... things will be better!

This may sound like a kind of geocaching police, but... I believe ti is for good!!!

I cringe when I see someone designate themselves as the geocaching police. In my view, it is nothing more than a tattle tale. Why do you think your ways are better than anyone elses? You have no idea why they are selling the coins and you only cause trouble for someone that may be in a crisis. It also is none of your business what their problems are and they don't have to explain anything to me or you. I haven't looked on ebay so I don't know who is selling it. I also sell on ebay because it is fun and not because I need the money. I have two mystery geocoins and I wouldn't sell them but I don't think it is right to judge the person who sells mystery coins. Perhaps they aren't into collecting them or need the money for other reasons. I believe that for some it is very hard to sell their coins and to have the geocaching community pass judgment on them for doing so is not appealing. I am glad some of you have other coins that you can sell but unless you are trading 13-15 coins for the mickey diver coin I don't see the seller making the same kind of money from selling traded coins.

When I received my mystery coins there was no slip of paper telling me I couldn't sell them. When someone gifts you a coin you can do with what you want or else it is not a gift. I don't need permission to sell the item if it was a gift. The seller risks never receiving a mystery coin again but perhaps the money is more important to them right now.

Ladebear, I didn't say I take my self as geocaching police, but that this sounds like geocaching police!

and I do not think that my way is better than others!!! Who said that???

I have an opinion and you have an opinion!

I do not have anything withte sellers in ebay, but I am not a seller there! I am a buyer! I do not even know your codenames there! I do not know if someone is in a crisis etc! I am not doing it all the time I did oit only 2-3 times and if I causes problems to the seller he may follow some rules the next time!

Some coins have rules! We have to follow them! don't we? I explained in an other post here what happens if we do not respect the cachers who are gifting these coins! the fun is off and everything stops! so why someone spois the whole fun just to make some money? LadyBee gave a great example for this!!!

There is a geocacher that is making coins, not mystery ones but other non trackable and she is simply saing... if you want to sell it I will take it back!

Now if the seller is so desperate, he can contact with the mystery coin maker and get his ok!!! He can add it in the selling page and everything is ok!!! where is wrong with that?? Many mystery makers gave their ok and mystery coins were sold to support other geocachers with problems!

Most of these mystery coins are non trackable, so the mystery senders probably created this rule, the coins are not to be sold, but you can keep it, just like Signal the frog did with Lackeys 2007, or Moun10bike did with his coins! It is a kind of keeping the ownership! since the coins are not trackable this is the best way!

now to speak generally....

some months ago a moun10bike geocoin was being sold! How??? the seller was not moun10bike!!! So??? He was selling a coin that was not his???

So if the seller was in crisis too it is ok? If yes, the next time someone will go and take coins from caches and sell them!! Not that this doesn't happen already! ;)

In ebay there are many coins to be sold... some cacher even bought stollen coins from there!

would it be nice to start seeing stollen coins that we own, being sold in ebay???

If you are in a crisis it means that you are not obliged to follow some simple rules???

I do not know the seller either! so I am talking generally!

To quote the person who made the Mickey Diver coin:

Like I've said regarding mystery coins or even my personal coins, once it's out of my hands it's no longer mine and it's up to the new owner to decide what to do with it.

You can quote that in your reply on the forums.

Some people post their financial hardships and personal problems here in the forums for all the world to see. Several of those people are commenting in this thread in fact.

Then there are other people don't publically flaunt their problems on message boards. So with that being said, if I want to sell my geocoins on eBay, trade them privately or toss them into the ocean for that matter, I have every right to do so. And the reasons why I choose to sell coins are really none of anyone's business.

It's kind of ironic that there are other mystery coins recently sold on eBay and also for sale right now on eBay. I don't see any negativity posted here about those particular sellers. I wonder why that is.

Edited by AtlantaGal

Ladebear, I didn't say I take my self as geocaching police, but that this sounds like geocaching police!

I do not have anything withte sellers in ebay, but I am not a seller there! I am a buyer! I do not even know your codenames there! I do not know if someone is in a crisis etc! I am not doing it all the time I did oit only 2-3 times and if I causes problems to the seller he may follow some rules the next time!

Some coins have rules! We have to follow them! don't we? I explained in an other post here what happens if we do not respect the cachers who are gifting these coins! the fun is off and everything stops! so why someone spois the whole fun just to make some money? LadyBee gave a great example for this!!!

There is a geocacher that is making coins, not mystery ones but other non trackable and she is simply saing... if you want to sell it I will take it back!

Now if the seller is so desperate, he can contact with the mystery coin maker and get his ok!!! He can add it in the selling page and everything is ok!!! where is wrong with that?? Many mystery makers gave their ok and mystery coins were sold to support other geocachers with problems!

Most of these mystery coins are non trackable, so the mystery senders probably created this rule, the coins are not to be sold, but you can keep it, just like Signal the frog did with Lackeys 2007, or Moun10bike did with his coins! It is a kind of keeping the ownership! since the coins are not trackable this is the best way!

some months ago a moun10bike geocoin was being sold! How??? the seller was not moun10bike!!! So??? He was selling a coin that was not his???

So if the seller was in crisis too it is ok? If yes, the next time someone will go and take coins from caches and sell them!! Not that this doesn't happen already! ;)

In ebay there are many coins to be sold... some cacher even bought stollen coins from there!

would it be nice to start seeing stollen coins that we own, being sold in ebay???

If you are in a crisis it means that you are not obliged to follow some simple rules???

What rules? If you give me a coin I own it. There are no rules. With the mystery coins I have received there were no conditions that I don't sell the coin so I don't have to ask the mystery coin giver if I have their permission. The coin is mine to do as I wish. Whether that means giving it away or selling it.

The difference with Moun10bike and Signal is that they still own the coin according to Geocaching.com. You don't get to transfer the Moun10bike coin or the Signal coin to your name. (In some incidents) If it isn't trackable, Groundspeak can't step in and deactivate the coin.

Your comparison that someone takes the coins from caches and sells them is far fetched. It is a comparison of apples and oranges. Because someone sells a mystery coin does not mean that someone will run out and take coins from caches and sell them.

Hello atlantaGal! ;)

If the maker of Mickey diver said that then it is ok forthe coin to be sold!

Of course it would have been good for the maker to write it in the paper of the coin or something so we can all know that! I didn't! :)

About the thing that if you want to sell your coins! Of course you can do what ever you like! As I said, it is a matter of opinion and how someone feels about coins that were gifted to him! If you feel ok, do it!

I am only talking about mystery coins that it is writen that they are not to be sold! Mickey diver maker said that but other do not!!!

I think there is a mystery coin (I do not remember now which...) that said that you can sell it!! but others....

If you take the ok from them, it is ok to sell them too!

I have mystery coins and non trackable personals that say not to be sold! I have to respect that!

Now about the other mystery coins... recently sold in ebay? Sorry I didn;t see them... I am not everyday in the geocoins in ebay! In ebay I am mostly in real coins and banknotes! I am entering in geocoins maybe 1-2 in a month!

I really do not know the codenames in ebay! I do not know who is selling who is buying (ok, the names are not shown...)....

What rules? If you give me a coin I own it. There are no rules. With the mystery coins I have received there were no conditions that I don't sell the coin so I don't have to ask the mystery coin giver if I have their permission. The coin is mine to do as I wish. Whether that means giving it away or selling it.

The difference with Moun10bike and Signal is that they still own the coin according to Geocaching.com. You don't get to transfer the Moun10bike coin or the Signal coin to your name. (In some incidents) If it isn't trackable, Groundspeak can't step in and deactivate the coin.

Your comparison that someone takes the coins from caches and sells them is far fetched. It is a comparison of apples and oranges. Because someone sells a mystery coin does not mean that someone will run out and take coins from caches and sell them.

Yes.. I was speaking generally.... about if you have crisis etc... what you can do and what not!

I heard about Lackey coins that is not even alloed to trade with them?? I do not know if that is true...

Really?? your mystery coins do not had a card with them saying that???

I have some here....

1) Geocaching JEDI = the card says: keep, trade or move along, but to sell it is the quick path to the Dark Side!

This means.... do not sell it....

2) The wishing coin: Please do not sell this coin

3) Dutch Lion : Don't sell this coin please.

4) Imagine Peace: Please, do not sell it

5) The Geo_Bandit geocoin: Please do not sell this coin.

6) Geocoin angel: Being the geocoin Angel that you are, please do not sell this coin. If times get tough please try and work out a trade instead!

I am sure there are other coins too with similar cards! maybe the cache reaper or the Bell witch....

I know that the geocoin agent kept the ownership of his coins so they will not get sold! I do not know about the V1 that were non trackable!

Even is some mystery pathtags like the mystery cupid you see similar things... please do not sell it....

In the non trackable personal coin of Scouting WV, the paper says...: Wherer you received this coin as a gift or in a trade, I hope that you enjoy it and share it with others. Trade it with this card if you like, but please do not sell it.

So, If I see this I have to follow it! :)

Edited by GATOULIS

man this needs to be closed.....shouldn't have been started in the first place considering the op sold a mystery coin herself when her engine blew.

people do what they need or want to do and it's really no ones business ... should never say never cause you don't know what's in your future.

Edited by BVnLJ

You're right, there are no rules or obligations because that's just the way of the world.

But if you're the kind that tends to sell off your "gifts"...you'll probably see less "gifts" in the future.

That's just the way of the world. ;)

while i understand what you are saying, i think the original intent of a mystery coin should stay intact, even if it was part of a larger collection that was bought. trade it away, give it away, but don't sell. i think i am purist that way.

if we subscribe to the notion if we buy something, or receive something as a gift, or through a trade, it is ours to do with as we wish, including selling it, why do we insist of following mountainbike's restrictions on his coin? i have never understood the reasons for that.

does someone want that coin SO bad they are willing to say they are just borrowing it because mountainbike retains ownership? i understand the value of that coin, someone offered to sell me one. i had to keep it a secret, of course, if i bought it. it was a bit out of the range of my pocketbook.

even when things were so bad i had to replace the engine in my car, i only sold one of my mystery coins, donated by the maker to help out. i still regret selling that coin. ;)

rsg

All I'm saying is that I don't know if the re-seller contacted Mickey and asked for feedback on selling that mystery coin. She's a very active re-seller and a huge collector so I strongly doubt she'd invite this kind of scrutiny and second guessing from the coining community. The couple of times I received mystery coins with instructions in 'em they pretty much said the same thing... if you have to sell contact me first. For all I know this reseller did just that. <shrug>

Edited by Droo