I'm really digging the storage capacity of this memory card.

I am absolutely thrilled with the map storage capacity of a 4GB memory card that I added to my oregon 450. I just installed the water maps of the entire Gulf of Mexico and surrounding Florida from my BlueChart Americas software. I also installed the entire Gulfcoast from Florida to Texas from my City Navigator Software and the Florida Topo Map from GPSfiledepot.com. Total used is 534MB so I still have more than 3GB to play with. Amazing capacity!

I wish Garmin would come out with a data card larger than 512MB for my GPSMap276c.

I am absolutely thrilled with the map storage capacity of a 4GB memory card that I added to my oregon 450. I just installed the water maps of the entire Gulf of Mexico and surrounding Florida from my BlueChart Americas software. I also installed the entire Gulfcoast from Florida to Texas from my City Navigator Software and the Florida Topo Map from GPSfiledepot.com. Total used is 534MB so I still have more than 3GB to play with. Amazing capacity!

I wish Garmin would come out with a data card larger than 512MB for my GPSMap276c.

I know what you mean, I have an Oregon and I currently have routable maps and 3 different topo maps. I accidentally deleted the basemap :) but it didn't matter once I had "real" maps on my GPS. I managed to find a great deal on my microSD card. for $20 I got the card, a microSD to miniSD converter, a microSD to SD converter, and a microSD to USB converter. that was one good sale price! My only complaint about my GPS's card, microSDs are so small, they're hard to get into that little slot, but I'll probably get used to it!

Be aware of the map segment limitations of your oregon, usually you will hit this before the card is full.

The limit on the Oregon is around 4000 segments for all .img files total on the unit, including basemap etc.

For example, the whole set of Bluechart Americas 9.5 is only 483.4 MB but is 5587 map segments (too many)

BCA95.jpg

I know what you mean, I have an Oregon and I currently have routable maps and 3 different topo maps. I accidentally deleted the basemap :) but it didn't matter once I had "real" maps on my GPS. I managed to find a great deal on my microSD card. for $20 I got the card, a microSD to miniSD converter, a microSD to SD converter, and a microSD to USB converter. that was one good sale price! My only complaint about my GPS's card, microSDs are so small, they're hard to get into that little slot, but I'll probably get used to it!

i highly doubt you wiped out your basemap, without the basemap the oregons dont have a point of reference for the other maps to line up to, i did wipe out the basemap once and even with the other maps installed all i got was a blank screen when i clicked maps. be thankful you havent lost them, its a pain to recover from.

i highly doubt you wiped out your basemap, without the basemap the oregons dont have a point of reference for the other maps to line up to, i did wipe out the basemap once and even with the other maps installed all i got was a blank screen when i clicked maps. be thankful you havent lost them, its a pain to recover from.

what I have is an absolutely blank screen except for hash marks if I turn off my other maps (it doesn't even show the highways and water features and such that the basemap usually shows) and there is no longer a basemap under the list of my maps. I deleted it by accidentally going to the Oregon's directory, clicking Garmin, then deleting the file marked "gmapbmap"... :)

what I have is an absolutely blank screen except for hash marks if I turn off my other maps (it doesn't even show the highways and water features and such that the basemap usually shows) and there is no longer a basemap under the list of my maps. I deleted it by accidentally going to the Oregon's directory, clicking Garmin, then deleting the file marked "gmapbmap"... :)

i formatted the internal memory on mine thinking the basemaps would be hard coded into the device, learned the hard way, after that though i couldn't use any maps on mine, had both topo and city nav installed an neither of them would work without the basemap as a point of reference. strange yours is ok, seen a lot of other people report of a practically useless unit without the basemap.

Be aware of the map segment limitations of your oregon, usually you will hit this before the card is full.

The limit on the Oregon is around 4000 segments for all .img files total on the unit, including basemap etc.

For example, the whole set of Bluechart Americas 9.5 is only 483.4 MB but is 5587 map segments (too many)

BCA95.jpg

Thank you for the info, I will definitely keep this in mind and check frequently. I just checked and I am at 222 Maps after everything I mentioned above. Garmin is sending me a North American Topomap and I am certain I will be adding portions of that to my Oregon as well as it is my primary Geocaching GPSr and also serves as a backup to my GPSMap which is used primarily for boating and traveling. Snce I only boat in Florida, I can't see needing anything more than Florida, The Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic side. I also prefer the GPSMap when traveling as the screen is larger and easier to see. The Oregon is a lot stealthier and has many more features but the screen is small. I just wish I could D/L the same info to both units.

Thanks again for your help.

For reference, I have the entire US City Navigator NA 2008 loaded on a 2G card with plenty of space left over. If you're on City Navigator NT it should be less than 1GB...still leaving you plenty of space for other maps on that huge 4GB card.

i formatted the internal memory on mine thinking the basemaps would be hard coded into the device, learned the hard way, after that though i couldn't use any maps on mine, had both topo and city nav installed an neither of them would work without the basemap as a point of reference. strange yours is ok, seen a lot of other people report of a practically useless unit without the basemap.

Hmm I dunno I deleted my basemaps on purpose and any map installed after that has worked fine as well.

Edited by CrazyOn2Wheels