New at benchmarking, but what did I find?

joefrog

Okay all, I'm a hopelessly-addicted geocacher, and have seen the topic of Benchmark hunting. As of yet, I haven't actually searched for any (on purpose), but would love to expand to this as well. Now during a search for one geocache, I came across a square of cement halfway up a high ridge with a disk set in the top. No markings other than a "+" marking the center.

The question is, what did I find? What's the term for this type of mark, and is it a benchmark of some sort?

Thanks!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

I am not absolutely certian based upon your description, but it is unlikely to be in the ngs database.

I would tend to suspect that this is a triangulation point of some sort. Most elevation markers will at least be stamped with the elevation of the mark. While you may not remember, were both lines of the '+' the same length, or was one line longer, looking more like a '-+-'?

If so, you may be looking at a reference mark or azimuth mark for another marker. If this is an azimuth mark, I would look along the longer bearing line some distance for the actual mark. If you captured the GPS coordinates for this mark, you may want to look in the database for the nearest mark, and see if there are any notes regarding an azimuth mark in any direction.

Again, these are usually stamped with some sort of identifier. So the fact that it is not would suggest that it was installed by a local surveyor for his own purposes. In that case the "+" that is marked on the disk is something that he is using for his own purposes as well.

You may want to look through DustyJacket's photos of benchmarks and see if anything there looks familiar. There are also several other resources online, a few pointed to in other threads that provide information that may be useful.

Enjoy. Here's hopping Benchmark hunting gets you as hooked as geocaching has. You might find yourself tossing a quick search for local benchmarks to geocaches you have been to or would like to visit, as an added challenge.

Have fun.

-Rusty

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

Joe, where was the mark? Was it anywhere near where the plant was located? There are actually some similar marks out there that mark ROW and property corners along Hwy 17 (Valleydale Road).

Jeff

No, this one was near GCD99F off Grants Mill Rd., across the street and up the ridge. I just wanted to see where the trail went -- looks like a party spot for kids, and a decent view. I came across it halfway up the ridge, just off the trail.

I don't remember if one line was longer than the other, but will go back & snap a picture when I have a chance.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

The only person who would know what it is for certain would be the person who set it. It could be a local triangulation station, a traverse point, or a property marker. It could be a misplaced boat anchor for all that goes. Usually if a surveyor, or government agency sets a point in the ground, especially if it's as permanent as a cement block with a disk in it, it has some sort of markings to identify it and its purpose. Although its important to someone, with no clues to help you (or us) determine what it is, there's no telling what you found.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

If its halfway up a high ridge, its unlikely to be a geodetic marker. A tri-station or any related mark would be at or near the top of the ridge for maximum visibility. Alabama, is a public land state, so I would guess that its most likely to be a section corner or quarter corner. You may be able to verify this by plotting the location on the appropriate USGS topo map, and seeing if it appears to be on a section line, which are the fine red lines on the topo map, depending on how detailed the mapping is in that particular area.

Okay, I now know what mark you are speaking of. You must have crossed the road from where you walk down to the river and climbed up the hill to where you can get up to the top and look down on Grants Mill Road. I have seen this mark and it is either a sections corner or quarter corner marker like survey tech stated. I found this mark when doing some exploring after being the FTF this particular cache. FWIW, you will also find similar marks all around here that are state and county ROW markers. Unfortunately, this mark is not in the NGS database. Be careful when climbing this hill, should you return, as there have been a couple of people that have fallen and gotten hurt in this area. Cheers!

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

quote:
Originally posted by jeff35080:

Okay, I now know what mark you are speaking of. You must have crossed the road from where you walk down to the river and climbed up the hill to where you can get up to the top and look down on Grants Mill Road. I have seen this mark and it is either a sections corner or quarter corner marker like survey tech stated. I found this mark when doing some exploring after being the FTF this particular cache. FWIW, you will also find similar marks all around here that are state and county ROW markers. Unfortunately, this mark is not in the NGS database. Be careful when climbing this hill, should you return, as there have been a couple of people that have fallen and gotten hurt in this area. Cheers!

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff -- that clears it up for me. I did indeed cross the road searching for that long-lost cache. Never did find it, either... From the looks of all the KFC boxes and beer cans on the ridge (a few less now, thanks to yours truly), they were sober on the climb but the descent was a different story!

Joel (joefrog)