New Garmin Nuvi 295W-good for caching?

I just recieved a brand new Garmin Nuvi 295W. I already had a Garmin eTrex. This is my first car based unit.

When I connect to myGarmin it gives me the capabilities to download geocaches right from their website to the unit. From what I see it appears to give you driving directions near the cache, at which point you switch to pedestrian mode and then walk.

Can someone give me tips for using the Nuvi for finding caches in Pedestrian mode. From the little I saw of that mode I was having a slightly difficult time figuring out how to use it for walking directions?

Thanks

I'm currently testing one for review. Here are a few tips.

1. Switch it to pedestrian mode (Settings > Navigation > Pedestrian)

2. You can access a tri-axial compass by pressing either of the data fields on the map screen

3. From there, there is an option to calibrate the compass (tap the menu icon)

4. You should be able to load pocket queries to the unit. I have not succeeded in downloading coordinates from geocaching.com via the browser, but haven't given up yet as there appears to be a number of ways to approach it.

Would love to hear how it works out for you.

I'm currently testing one for review. Here are a few tips.

1. Switch it to pedestrian mode (Settings > Navigation > Pedestrian)

2. You can access a tri-axial compass by pressing either of the data fields on the map screen

3. From there, there is an option to calibrate the compass (tap the menu icon)

4. You should be able to load pocket queries to the unit. I have not succeeded in downloading coordinates from geocaching.com via the browser, but haven't given up yet as there appears to be a number of ways to approach it.

Would love to hear how it works out for you.

How are you trying it for review, are you a vine voice as well?

Switch it to pedestrian mode (Settings > Navigation > Pedestrian)
Have you been able to ascertain whether "pedestrian mode" on this model shuts off road snap altogether, or simply allows otherwise 'illegal' movement like walking the wrong way on 1-way streets, use of pedestrian walkways, etc? Edited by ecanderson

Just popped on to this thread. Am I correct in reading you can download a gpx file directly to the unit through myGarmin? Does it include any other info besides the coords?

TX!

If you're referring to the geocaches, it downloads the name and coords into your favorites. You can then use pedestiran mode to go right to it, or driving mode to drive near it and then pedestrian mode for final portion.

Just popped on to this thread. Am I correct in reading you can download a gpx file directly to the unit through myGarmin? Does it include any other info besides the coords?

TX!

If you're referring to the geocaches, it downloads the name and coords into your favorites. You can then use pedestiran mode to go right to it, or driving mode to drive near it and then pedestrian mode for final portion.

Yes geocaches. It would be great just to have driving directions and be able to see what is in an area. I would use a handheld 60CSX for finding the cache. Any idea what the favorites limit is (number of caches it will accept in this case).

Thanks again for the quick answer.

TX!

Yes geocaches. It would be great just to have driving directions and be able to see what is in an area. I would use a handheld 60CSX for finding the cache. Any idea what the favorites limit is (number of caches it will accept in this case).

Thanks again for the quick answer.

I don't know how many it can hold total, but I know you can only load 5 a day. It is really a pretty nifty GPS, though I don't have a lot of experience with these driving units.

Have you been able to ascertain whether "pedestrian mode" on this model shuts off road snap altogether, or simply allows otherwise 'illegal' movement like walking the wrong way on 1-way streets, use of pedestrian walkways, etc?

Just tried. Its a bit hard to tell since it only goes down to 120' zoom. But... it looks like it tries to switch back and forth between lock on road and actual position till you get approximately 60 feet away from a road, then it seems to hold the position pretty accurately.

I don't know how many it can hold total, but I know you can only load 5 a day. It is really a pretty nifty GPS, though I don't have a lot of experience with these driving units.

Thanks again...I think I may go for it...I don't have a GPS unit in my Jeep but it's about time :)

Thanks again...I think I may go for it...I don't have a GPS unit in my Jeep but it's about time :)

I got mine from amazon. If you do happen to go through there and get it, please be a friend and give my rating a positive review. My name is T Bux

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-n%C3%BCvi-Wi-...3858&sr=8-1

The title of my review is

Good for automobile navigation and Geocaching

If you're set on a nuvi, but don't need the WiFi / email features, you may do better with the nuvi 500.

Also, the 295W has a 3mp camera as well with geotagging features. Good for those caches that require you to photograph yourself.

Thanks again...I think I may go for it...I don't have a GPS unit in my Jeep but it's about time :blink:

If you're set on a nuvi, but don't need the WiFi / email features, you may do better with the nuvi 500.

I'm noticing the Nuvi 295W is being sold incredibly cheap now, ~$130 CDN! That's not bad at all considering it has text-to-speech navigation, and a tri-axis compass which is something the Nuvi 500/550 is lacking.

The battery life sucks, but at least the windshield mount has a built-in power connector so there's no fiddling with a cable when clamping it into the holder. About the biggest drawback of the 295W to me is it's not very robust.. other than that I'm liking it better than the 500/550.

Thanks again...I think I may go for it...I don't have a GPS unit in my Jeep but it's about time :blink:

I'm noticing the Nuvi 295W is being sold incredibly cheap now, ~$130 CDN! That's not bad at all considering it has text-to-speech navigation, and a tri-axis compass which is something the Nuvi 500/550 is lacking.

The battery life sucks, but at least the windshield mount has a built-in power connector so there's no fiddling with a cable when clamping it into the holder. About the biggest drawback of the 295W to me is it's not very robust.. other than that I'm liking it better than the 500/550.

You can get an battery pack for it,that should extend life for those long hikes,It's sold on ebay.