Have you modified your vehicle for geocaching?

Just what the title says. Have you modified your vehicle to accomodate geocaching?

I'm not talking about adding a TB sticker but any real changes.

First off, I bought a used minivan as a commuter but part of the reason I bought the van was because of geocaching. It's easier to carry needed stuff in the minivan. And I've made a few changes, so far.

I just changed out my middle row seats two weeks ago to make them more passenger friendly and added a couple of storage compartments to accomodate swag, flashlights, geotools and the like.

What changes have you made to your vehicle? Or do you plan to make any?

Haven't modified anything but I have driven small cars most of my life (aside from a muscle car phase).

I recently bought a 4 wheel drive SUV and one of the reasons was because I could use it to get to some of the more off road caches.

It's just a bonus that it has lots of places to store swag and a convenient place for my GPSr to rest safely on the dash without sliding around.

Just a few little changes, nothing spectacular. Dual mounts for our GPSrs are in the works. One on my side and one on my partners side. Data cables in the storage drawer for quick transfer from the laptop to our GPSrs. Deep cycle RV battery to power the laptop and onboard GPSr.

Next vehicle will be 4wd with higher ground clearance.

Hey Bittsen you keep saying your premium membership has expired but the listing when you post says different.

I recently added a dented left front fender and some major scratches on the right side when I got someplace I shouldn't have. The scratches came as the tow truck pulled me out.

Does that count?

I put velcro on my dash to mount my GPS in a sane manner. Does that count? :P

Yup, that's a modification.

Just a few little changes, nothing spectacular. Dual mounts for our GPSrs are in the works. One on my side and one on my partners side. Data cables in the storage drawer for quick transfer from the laptop to our GPSrs. Deep cycle RV battery to power the laptop and onboard GPSr.

Next vehicle will be 4wd with higher ground clearance.

I think you are on the mod track. Adding a deep cycle battery is definately a modification.

I modified my shiny F-250 but covering it with billions of not-so-shiny branch marks. :P

Luckily, I have not seen fit (yet) to replace either of those EXPENSIVE mirrors! :P

Sorry but those scratches and mirrors don't count. Now, if you added a bedliner finish to the outside of the vehicle to stop scratches from happening...

Hey Bittsen you keep saying your premium membership has expired but the listing when you post says different.

I recently added a dented left front fender and some major scratches on the right side when I got someplace I shouldn't have. The scratches came as the tow truck pulled me out.

Does that count?

I can assure you that the premium membership HAS expired. I'm sure if I deleted my cookies the group tag would go away. Of course it might be a moot point because I might just reup my membership today.

And, sorry but scratches on the rig don't count.

I got a TNLNSL license plate for my bike. Does that count?

I don't know if license plates count. Although I am seriously considering a vanity plate for the geo-van.

I added this strap to my F150 4X4 bench seat to keep my Geocaching backpack handy between trails and for the quick P&G’s. The pack stays put, and the phone camera and GPS are all easy to grab.

PackStrap.jpg

Packonstrap.jpg

Yes, the strap hooks to the child seat anchor, so it is nice and sturdy.

And naturally one must have 2 GPS's in the car gor Geocaching,, right?

GPSMounts.jpg

Edited by NOV8TR

My Trunk is now modified to hold swag, AA battery charer hard wired in, and mantience tools to help fix things along the way, when needed............. definitly getting a custom plate now, and a new Oil pan next tuesday ...........

oh, and i am thinking of getting this for my next Geo-car????

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26119075@N04/4652889095/

Edited by David Marchand

Oh I have only done a couple of small little modifications to my pickup for geocaching, nothing crazy or anything like that. Here is a pic of the mods....

2780457573_dc7922d584.jpg

j/k

Tha's good. Some eco-friendly tracks. :):(

BTW... why in the world haven't you moved it to mow the grass under it? Huh? Huh?

That's not his lawn. That's the woods next door.

Going at this backwards.

Purchased a Ford Ranger, V-6, 4WD, extended cab, canopy. Bought a laptop to access WiFi connections (because I'm on dial-up out in the boonies). I'm set up to access off-road locations, fly fishing for trout in Oregon. I have camping and outdoor gear to die for, even a generator so theoretically I can re-charge my laptop out "in the field."

I had an early Garmin -- You know, the cursor dot on a blank screen w/ waypoints. No maps.

THEN . . . I purchased a Garmin Oregon 450, loaded 24k Topo for the West Coast.

THEN I saw a feature on Oregon Field Guide about geo-caching, just four days ago. Found my first cache yesterday afternoon, got skunked on two more.

I have a laptop daypack w/ my WiFi stuff, GPS. There's the "standard outing" stuff behind the seats -- clothing, binoculars.

Thinking about a small, light dirt bike that I can mount across the rear on a "bumper carrier" like a bicycle rack.

Edited by Allison Wunderland

Oh I have only done a couple of small little modifications to my pickup for geocaching, nothing crazy or anything like that. Here is a pic of the mods....

2780457573_dc7922d584.jpg

j/k

Tha's good. Some eco-friendly tracks. :):(

BTW... why in the world haven't you moved it to mow the grass under it? Huh? Huh?

Those tracks would do less damage than lets say 4 tires. More surface area = less weight per square inch

But the weight of that particular set would counter the benefits.

Yes, I have lifted my Scout 4 inches 33" A/T tires

Going at this backwards.

Purchased a Ford Ranger, V-6, 4WD, extended cab, canopy. Bought a laptop to access WiFi connections (because I'm on dial-up out in the boonies). I'm set up to access off-road locations, fly fishing for trout in Oregon. I have camping and outdoor gear to die for, even a generator so theoretically I can re-charge my laptop out "in the field."

I had an early Garmin -- You know, the cursor dot on a blank screen w/ waypoints. No maps.

THEN I saw a feature on Oregon Field Guide about geo-caching, just four days ago. Found my first cache yesterday afternoon, got skunked on two more.

I have a laptop daypack w/ my WiFi stuff, GPS. There's the "standard outing" stuff behind the seats -- clothing, binoculars.

Thinking about a small, light dirt bike that I can mount across the rear on a "bumper carrier" like a bicycle rack.

I just got home from picking up a trailer hitch for the geovan. All I need is a carrier that can hold a motorized 2 wheel scooter....

I will also be set to load up the mountain bike with the new hitch.

Going at this backwards.

I just got home from picking up a trailer hitch for the geovan. All I need is a carrier that can hold a motorized 2 wheel scooter....

I will also be set to load up the mountain bike with the new hitch.

How big a scooter? Weight? Wheelbase?

How big a scooter? Weight? Wheelbase?

I've had my eye on a 150cc import (Chinese). The hitch has a 350lb tongue weight spec so the scooter would have to be under that but I doubt that's a problem because I would have to get it up on the hitch anyhow and I can't quite lift 350lbs anymore.

The one I've been looking at is about 250lbs and has a pretty decent wheelbase but I don't know what it is. There are a lot of them out there that look the same. It's a pretty generic scooter.

I modified a mount for the Garmin so that it could be stuck to the dash with velcro.

With a Safari van I haven't had to do too much in the way of real modifications to the van.

OTOH, I deliberately chose the size of the kayak based on the fact that it would fit inside the van so I can go after all those T5 caches around here. I'm too dang short to load it on the roof... :)

The next van will be 4WD so I don't have to think three times about where I take the cachemobile.

Probably going to want a motorcycle rack. Lots of choices but none are all that different.

043902c0.jpg

Some smaller scooters and pocket bikes can be carried on one of those hitch utility racks.

4w7_lP674xa5shGzDzZeUKeNxzAY2iXby2I.jpg

Never, ever haul your bike like this unless you disconnect the chain. It can waste the transmission without the oil pump pumping.

colorado040withComment.jpg

There is another mount I am looking for that uses a bottle jack to pick up the bike. I'll post it when I find it.

Found it.

umx_.jpg

Never used one but some of the guys I know swear by them.

That's a little too high tech for me.

I'm liking the motorcycle mount. I checked and the scooter has a 53" wheelbase so that rack would work fine.

Of course, first I have to buy the scooter.

Found a nice explorer, put an ORV sticker (current, for back woods w/o problems from CO) extra cig lighters for charging iphone, GPS, and Ham handheld radio. Then to top it off I won a set of Nokian racing snow tires (130MPH) that whisk me through the mud, ahem...

Guessed a Michigander. ORV sticker/CO/130 MPH snowtires. Hehehehehee :)

Found it.

umx_.jpg

Never used one but some of the guys I know swear by them.

That's a little too high tech for me.

I'm liking the motorcycle mount. I checked and the scooter has a 53" wheelbase so that rack would work fine.

Of course, first I have to buy the scooter.

More what I'd call medium tech. The advantage is the lack of lifting and/or push the bike up onto the rack. I use a trailer myself and just ride it up.

More what I'd call medium tech. The advantage is the lack of lifting and/or push the bike up onto the rack. I use a trailer myself and just ride it up.

Well, the receiver is installed.

I like the idea of the flat based multi purpose carrier. You could add a small ramp for that and it's, well, multi-purpose.

And naturally one must have 2 GPS's in the car gor Geocaching,, right?

GPSMounts.jpg

Absolutely! You need the Navman to get you to the nearest street to the cache, then you use the e-trek to home in on it.

Unless of course you have an SUV, in which case you want both GPSs switched on so you can"compare notes" and drive up within feet of the cache. :)

actually, no. the only addition(s) to my vehicle was the eTrex legend H (no mount) and a bag of swag items.

i've always driven "my backpack" around...at least for the last 7 or so years it has been that way. i'm almost always ready to camp at a moments notice... or fix a flat on a much larger vehicle... or render aid... or impromptu hike up a small mountain.

:)