My own Rude encounter

jellis

Like the previous topic, I will stay away from posting the whole email.

What happened was I was caching with a friend. He picks up geocoins, I pick up both coins and TBs. He had picked up a TB and handed it to me later. I didn't see it in an any inventory for any cache we did and where it was listed was at least two states away. I tried to research it to see who may have picked it up and dropped it off or even had visited the other cache and may have come to California. No luck so I logged it in and back out in a cache near where we were caching and picked it back up again. Then today I get an email that accused me of not waiting til it was logged in. How long should I wait when I don't know how long it was in there? I wrote a log not accusing any cacher but wrote a story how it was a mystery on how it may have gotten here from this other place and how one of mine turned up missing then found 3 years later. This cacher who actually placed the Tb should not been so rude, on what he/she wrote to me. Instead copying the entire email I will just say the first line of the email started out as :

are you brain dead?? yes that was the first line! Then yada yaha yaha about having a note on the TB. Didn't see any note. Then last line of type said: Your logs need to be deletes you moron. I responded, at least I can spell. This cacher should have at least tried to log it out of the cache as soon as they could before placing it into another cache. I could understand not logging it out in time, but they should not had dropped it in another cache before they did. They could have waited before dropping it. That is my vent. I am not cussing or mentioning any names But it is funny if you try to log a cache venting they say use the Forum to vent. When you do, you are told this is not the place for it. I can understand for some restrictions and I hope I am not violating any of them.

I think they should have at least retrieved it from the cache a couple states away before placing it in the new cache in CA. Either way, I would have responded something like:

Hi [so and so]. I'm simpjkee. Thanks for your e-mail, I was curious about how it got here. There was no note attached to the TB.

Josh

Also whats this about the forums? As long as you don't put who the email was from I see no issue with it being posted here. I'd like to read it. :P

How long should I wait when I don't know how long it was in there?

A good couple three days at a minimum, especially if it's the weekend. Assume the bug was dropped off five minutes before you got there.

I responded, at least I can spell.

If their objective was to get under your skin it looks like it worked. Some people, when addressing an issue, think this is the only way to handle things, that they have to complain to get results. A calm sensible response addressing the issue, not the person, usually calms things down. Once they know you are willing to communicate they stop thinking they have to yell to be heard.

But it is funny if you try to log a cache venting they say use the Forum to vent. When you do, you are told this is not the place for it.

Venting is fine. Handing out pitchforks and torches is not.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Am I way off? I was under the delusion that if player X picked the TB up from cache X, then it later got picked up from cache Y, the computer would assume that player X had put it in cache Y. If this is wrong then please let me know, and if it's right then the only purpose having this cacher log the drop would have would be that they get to write their log (can you even write a log for a drop?) and get the "glory" of having dropped off the travel bug on 'paper'.

Am I way off? I was under the delusion that if player X picked the TB up from cache X, then it later got picked up from cache Y, the computer would assume that player X had put it in cache Y. If this is wrong then please let me know, and if it's right then the only purpose having this cacher log the drop would have would be that they get to write their log (can you even write a log for a drop?) and get the "glory" of having dropped off the travel bug on 'paper'.

No, it would not show cacher X as having it logged into cache Y. It would show the next cacher as having Grabbed it away and they would have to do the Drop for Cacher X into cache Y.

Technically the last holder got the stat credit for the retrieve and moved the bug along in its journey to the next cache. As long as the next cacher makes sure the bug is logged into the current cache, there are no tracking or stat problems.

However, some people are just a little too overanxious and need to give the last cacher a chance to catch up on their logging. Unless you are checking the logbook for that cachers name, you do not know when it was dropped off. You'll get people here complaining that a bug was Grabbed away two hours after they dropped it. There is no harm in waiting to do your logging and it is certainly the polite thing to do. Even if you know the tracking will stay accurate it is rude not to let people enjoy completing their part of the bug's journey.

The only time I recommend Grabbing a bug away without waiting is when you move a bug sight-unseen to another cache and then later discover the bug wasn't logged in where you found it, making it two caches away without being logged. This greatly increases the chance of the bug getting lost and getting it back on track takes precedence.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I think the matter here is that X picked up the TB (never logging it out) a long distance away and dropped into the distant cache, hoping to do all all logging in one felled swoop. At least that is what I gathered from reading the OP.

X got bent out of shape when, due to their lack of logging the retrieval, Y finds the TB (unlogged) in a far removed cache. Believing it to be lost/mislogged (it was still logged in that other cache -- not in X's hands), Y grabs and dips it to properly record the mileage and Y's retrieval.

-- At least this is what I read from the OP --

This happens (not the rude email) fairly often when one does not record the retrieval BEFORE placing the traveler into another cache. Especially when that movement is a state or more distant!

The way I see it, this was precipitated by cacher X's lackadaisical logging practices.

What to do about this? Probably not much as it appears cacher X believes his/her way is THE way to do it.

In this particular case, cacher Y has (approaching) 1000 trackable moves. I have to guess that Y knows what to do in moving one from cache to cache. :P

I have a much more simple system. I get a traveler. I grab/retrieve the traveler. I am not hostage to anybody else's failures.

They are not my problem.

I agree with the previous poster that they shouldn't place it until they have grabbed it on the website. They are asking for something like this to happen when they do that.

What you should do is delete the email and have two margaritas.

Edited by Walts Hunting

I think the matter here is that X picked up the TB (never logging it out) a long distance away and dropped into the distant cache, hoping to do all all logging in one felled swoop. At least that is what I gathered from reading the OP.

X got bent out of shape when, due to their lack of logging the retrieval, Y finds the TB (unlogged) in a far removed cache. Believing it to be lost/mislogged (it was still logged in that other cache -- not in X's hands), Y grabs and dips it to properly record the mileage and Y's retrieval.

Wouldn't the computer still recognize the mileage as the same as if X logged both? And unless they'd just pick up the traveler that day, they would still get their pick-up log, even if they couldn't properly log their drop.

1)>are you brain dead?? do you not know how to read.

>I left a not on the baggie with the bug you found in San Jose.

>Now I will grab the bug back and WAIT until I log it into the cache.

>Your logs need to be deletes you moron.

my response

>Thank you for the nice email. I am going to share it with XXXXXXl who

>found the bug not me and gc who loves emails like this. Maybe I should

>share it on the forum too.

your choice.

I had explicit instructions on the baggie as to what to do.

You logged the bug.

It makes no difference who found it.

Mine

Oh by the way you said I can't read but it seems you can't spell.

like it really matters

you know what it said and thats all that matters

now get over it.

I didn't respond any more.

Wouldn't the computer still recognize the mileage as the same as if X logged both? And unless they'd just pick up the traveler that day, they would still get their pick-up log, even if they couldn't properly log their drop.

Yes, the mileage can be corrected, even the placements.

However, it comes down to X "needing" to send insulting emails etc., because he/she is in left field w/o a glove. Probably none of this would've happened had he/she logged the retrieval when it happened, instead of waiting and carrying the traveler a few states away to log the drop and the retrieval at the same time.

Maybe it's just a matter of time displacement somewhere within the time/space continuum. :P

Yes, the mileage can be corrected, even the placements.

However, it comes down to X "needing" to send insulting emails etc., because he/she is in left field w/o a glove. Probably none of this would've happened had he/she logged the retrieval when it happened, instead of waiting and carrying the traveler a few states away to log the drop and the retrieval at the same time.

Maybe it's just a matter of time displacement somewhere within the time/space continuum. :P

nope, it's just a matter of didn't want their name to be associated with the travel bug that got held onto for 6 months before they finally dropped it. :P

note: this is simply a possibility, I have no idea what actually happened, but that's the only benefit I see from this (unless you're too lazy to click an extra time or 2 in which case, you must be an armchair logger...)

my response

your choice.

You logged the bug.

Mine

like it really matters

now get over it.

Ouch ... and I wasn't even involved.

my response

your choice.

You logged the bug.

Mine

like it really matters

now get over it.

Ouch ... and I wasn't even involved.

Please tell me that you'd responded beforehand, and that wasn't just that they saw who picked up the trackable and vented at you... If they can get that annoyed from just somebody logging a trackable before they wanted to, and they're verbal about it... I would hate to think what it would be like if you were somebody who stresses easily, or actually couldn't read (but had your computer doing so aloud). This person should be banned if the ONLY thing that happened to cause this was your taking the trackable before they could log it. Admittedly that would be annoying, especially if they were telling the truth and there actually was a note with the bug when they'd dropped it...

I have a much more simple system. I get a traveler. I grab/retrieve the traveler. I am not hostage to anybody else's failures.

They are not my problem.

Exactly! emotion-21.gif At the end of each caching day I gather up all of our Geocaching files and field notes and I sit down to log everything and do my paperwork. At that time is when I log the Travel Bugs. The only exception I'll make is if there is a nice legible tag attached to the TB asking me to wait until a certain date to log the traveler.

They are not my problem.

Exactly! emotion-21.gif At the end of each caching day I gather up all of our Geocaching files and field notes and I sit down to log everything and do my paperwork. At that time is when I log the Travel Bugs. The only exception I'll make is if there is a nice legible tag attached to the TB asking me to wait until a certain date to log the traveler.

Cool. so when someone jumps your case for any valid or perceived compliant you don't need us to listen to how rough you have it when dealing with a bug owner.

my response

your choice.

You logged the bug.

Mine

like it really matters

now get over it.

:) Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

This is from the bug's log. Now remember they did not log it in when I found it. And as you see they NOW log it out but they are still holding it virtually hostage. I know if I try to log it they will probably get nasty about that. They dropped it but haven't logged they dropped it. And I repeatedly told them there was no instructions on the baggie when I got it. Maybe XXXXX took it off before they gave it to me.

Retrieve It from a Cache 5/27/2010 jellis retrieved FFFFFFF from iiiiiiiiii - San Jose California Visit Log

Okay hope this at least it puts it in somewhat the right track.

Dropped Off 5/27/2010 jellis placed FFFFFF in iiiiiiiii - San Jose California 678.3mi Visit Log

Grab It (Not from a Cache) 5/27/2010 jellis grabbed FFFFFFFF from @@@@@@ Washington Visit Log

I don't know how this happened. The last place this was, was in Washington. I double checked the TB and yep I have it and found it in a cache in San Jose area of California. I don't remember which cache I found it in so all I can do is log it in and out of cache near where I found it to get the mileage. I checked all the finders of the last cache it was in and so far no one has logged a find in California. But these caches we were finding are near the San Jose airport so someone could have just dropped it off and hasn't gotten around to log it in from the Washington cache yet.

Retrieve It from a Cache 5/20/2010 VVVVVVVV retrieved FFFFFFFF from @@@@@@ Washington Visit Log

We will keep the guy croaking along.

Dropped Off 5/20/2010 VVVVVVVV placed FFFFFFF in @@@@@ Washington Visit Log

Grab It (Not from a Cache) 5/20/2010 VVVVVVVV grabbed FFFFFFF from iiiiiiiii - San Jose California Visit Log

Grabbing this back from the fool who has no reading abilities.

Discovered It 5/14/2010 The MMMMMMM discovered FFFFFF California Visit Log

We just discovered it--we had fffffffff TB that we were going to trade it for, but ours was a little bit larger and it wouldn't fit in the container!

Edited by jellis

This is from the bug's log. Now remember they did not log it in when I found it. And as you see they NOW log it out but they are still holding it virtually hostage. I know if I try to log it they will probably get nasty about that. They dropped it but haven't logged they dropped it. And I repeatedly told them there was no instructions on the baggie when I got it. Maybe XXXXX took it off before they gave it to me.

Retrieve It from a Cache 5/27/2010 jellis retrieved FFFFFFF from iiiiiiiiii - San Jose California Visit Log

Okay hope this at least it puts it in somewhat the right track.

Dropped Off 5/27/2010 jellis placed FFFFFF in iiiiiiiii - San Jose California 678.3mi Visit Log

Grab It (Not from a Cache) 5/27/2010 jellis grabbed FFFFFFFF from @@@@@@ Washington Visit Log

I don't know how this happened. The last place this was, was in Washington. I double checked the TB and yep I have it and found it in a cache in San Jose area of California. I don't remember which cache I found it in so all I can do is log it in and out of cache near where I found it to get the mileage. I checked all the finders of the last cache it was in and so far no one has logged a find in California. But these caches we were finding are near the San Jose airport so someone could have just dropped it off and hasn't gotten around to log it in from the Washington cache yet.

Retrieve It from a Cache 5/20/2010 VVVVVVVV retrieved FFFFFFFF from @@@@@@ Washington Visit Log

We will keep the guy croaking along.

Dropped Off 5/20/2010 VVVVVVVV placed FFFFFFF in @@@@@ Washington Visit Log

Grab It (Not from a Cache) 5/20/2010 VVVVVVVV grabbed FFFFFFF from iiiiiiiii - San Jose California Visit Log

Grabbing this back from the fool who has no reading abilities.

Discovered It 5/14/2010 The MMMMMMM discovered FFFFFF California Visit Log

We just discovered it--we had fffffffff TB that we were going to trade it for, but ours was a little bit larger and it wouldn't fit in the container!

I assume the bug is still in your possession, right? If you're not planning on placing it for a few days, then let him have his little huff and he'll get over it. The important thing is that eventually you'll have to grab it from him to be able to place it.

If you are going to place it, I'd send him an email stating that you'll be dropping the TB off and will need to grab it away from him to do so. Let's hope he's not such a huge baby that he'll continue with his childish act.

...I'd send him an email stating that you'll be dropping the TB off and will need to grab it away from him to do so.

Why bother? It's best to just avoid any extra drama by sending him emails and just drop the bug and be done with it.

I would send the email only because I think this other guy has a screw loose somewhere and if I just grabbed the TB from him, he might flip out again and grab it back...you know, keep playing his petty games. I'd send the email, grab the bug and log it into the new cache. After that, I don't have to deal with the nutjob again.

I would send the email only because I think this other guy has a screw loose somewhere and if I just grabbed the TB from him, he might flip out again and grab it back...you know, keep playing his petty games.

But he can't play his petty games by himself. The angry email exchanges are like a game of catch: he can't play if you don't throw the ball back.

You really should keep track of what caches you pick bugs up from.

That wouldn't have made a difference. The cacher (found out it is a female) dropped it before logging it out of the cache they found it in. She should have waited till it was then others would know it was picked up and I would have had someone to contact to find out when they would drop it. Since it wasn't there was no history of when it was picked up and by whom. She didn't even log the find for that cache at the time. Even if they are traveling they should learn to wait.

Sounds like you should just give the evedence to GS, and move on. This guy is irrational.

Already complained about few other matters and still haven't heard from them in a month after sending two emails I don't think sending them a message will help.

ummm, kay guys.... I'm missing something here....

it's my simple (very simple) understanding that the main reason why one would wait for someone to log the tb in to a cache is that they are on vaccation, or are too busy for whatever reason at that moment to do it, and when they have time, they will go ahead and catch up.

so let me get this straight.... this person has no time to log his tb, but has time to send you rude email about it?

it's my simple (very simple) understanding that the main reason why one would wait for someone to log the tb in to a cache is that they are on vaccation, or are too busy for whatever reason at that moment to do it, and when they have time, they will go ahead and catch up.

so let me get this straight.... this person has no time to log his tb, but has time to send you rude email about it?

One should allow a week or so, to permit the cacher who dropped the TB to drop it properly. This is common courtesy.

Yes. I've had a few run ins. Example: I picked up a TB in New York that wanted to visit all 50 states. The next week, I dropped it in a cache in New Jersey. About a forty-five minute drive home, I went to log it, and find that it had already been grabbed from me by a cacher from New York. He couldn't even wait an hour!

A little courtesy and a little patience goes a long way.

One should allow a week or so, to permit the cacher who dropped the TB to drop it properly. This is common courtesy.

Yes. I've had a few run ins. Example: I picked up a TB in New York that wanted to visit all 50 states. The next week, I dropped it in a cache in New Jersey. About a forty-five minute drive home, I went to log it, and find that it had already been grabbed from me by a cacher from New York. He couldn't even wait an hour!

A little courtesy and a little patience goes a long way.

thats not what I meant at all!

what I meant was that I understood that the reason for waiting, and the reason for people taking a while to log was that they were busy or possibly away on vacation.

However, if this is the case, this guy obviously has internet access, and time on his hands, because he shot off a nasty email right away... so wtf mate?