Today's Cacher

I've received a lot of requests to renew this magazine in a on line format. I'm willing to consider it if I can put togther the right team. So this is a sounding board to see if it's possible. The positions needed are as follows.

1. Editor in Chief. This person must be well organized, creative, and have the ability to manage and motivate others. This position is stressfull and time consuming. We need a person that is in tune with Geocaching.com. Someone who is familar with the current trend. it's not for the meek and mild.

2. Web Master. The title speaks for it's self. You must be a master! This person is one of the most valuable team members of all.

3. Proof reader. you need to have excellent grammer skills. you will mind all the Ps and Qs and make everything read right. You will review and edit all articles before publication.

4. Staff writer. You will be responsible for submitting monthly articles in a timely manner. The subject can be about anything to do with caching. creative people needed here.

5. Editors. You need to have your finger on the pulse of the caching community. You will seek out current and interesting stories from individuals and encourage them to submit articles.

If you feel you can fill any of the above positions please contact me at JC364@aol.com. All of these positions are without compensation at this point in time.

If we can fill these positions then I will bring Today's Cacher back. To get an idea of what you will be working towards you can see the past issues at Today's Cacher In our peak we had over a million hits per month.

El Diablo

How many online magazines do we really need?

I would think that TAR's magazine picked up the slack after Today's Cacher stopped being published.

There is now a print magazine in production.

Isn't that enough?

How many Fashion, Hunting, Fishing, Home Remodling, Wood working, etc magazines do you need? There are dozens of each. No one gave up the idea of publishing a magazine because someone else already had one. Each magazine brings a different style and perspective. You can choose to read one, or all.

El Diablo

I would think that TAR's magazine picked up the slack after Today's Cacher stopped being published.

Isn't that enough?

Why would that be enough? The game is dramatically growing in popularity each year, and if the forums are any indication, there's no lack of discussion to be had. There are many geocachers blogging about geocaching on a daily basis as well.

It's healthy to have a variety of perspectives - each publication is going to approach the game in its own way. It's a big world with a lot of geocaches in it - it won't be like three local newspapers trying to scoop each other.

Increasing the publications on offer may very well increase the market for all of them.

Isn't that enough?

How many Fashion, Hunting, Fishing, Home Remodling, Wood working, etc magazines do you need? There are dozens of each. No one gave up the idea of publishing a magazine because someone else already had one. Each magazine brings a different style and perspective. You can choose to read one, or all.

El Diablo

No offense meant here. But it is my understanding that Today's Cacher ceased production because there were not enough volunteers.

It is also my understanding that TAR has had difficulty at times getting enough volunteers to post material.

I have no idea the difficulties, if any, that FTF Geocacher has had with writers.

If there is such a shortage of writers/volunteers, then it seems it would be better to offer to lend a hand to the current magazine rather than potentially pulling resources and possibly hurting both.

There are tons of Fashion, Hunting, etc. magazines because they make enough money to hire writers. It's not quite the same comparison.

Why would that be enough? The game is dramatically growing in popularity each year, and if the forums are any indication, there's no lack of discussion to be had. There are many geocachers blogging about geocaching on a daily basis as well.

It's healthy to have a variety of perspectives - each publication is going to approach the game in its own way. It's a big world with a lot of geocaches in it - it won't be like three local newspapers trying to scoop each other.

Increasing the publications on offer may very well increase the market for all of them.

As you know, posting to a personal blog or in the forums is not the same as writing for a periodic that requires material to be submitted in a timely fashion and then to be edited and other work that goes on behind the scenes.

If there is enough volunteer manpower to support 2 magazines, then great.

I would just hate to see one suffer because limited resources got split between 2 projects.

FTF Geocacher seems to be actively scouting material from the blogging community instead of sitting back waiting for volunteers. Many mainstream publications also get/buy content from bloggers and polish it up a bit. There's no lack of content out there, and many bloggers are willing to share their content for free just to get the publicity.

The game has grown a lot since TAR folded.

...If there is enough volunteer manpower to support 2 magazines, then great.

I would just hate to see one suffer because limited resources got split between 2 projects.

The Online Geocacher is owned by catsnfish. I volunteer a bit of time as the putative editor-in-chief. When a geocacher sends us a story one of us publishes it. That's it. TOG is not ever going to be any more than that...just a fun free place for geocachers to share their stories. Except for some minor spelling and grammar corrections I publish the stories the way the writer tells them - their stories in their words. We do not have staff writers (or a staff!) nor do we assign topics or do all the things a normal magazine does.

What El Diablo wants to do with Today's Cacher is quite different. Some will find having an editor who actually edits quite refreshing. TC will be more outreaching to gather topical articles. TC, if its original incarnation is any indication, will be quite different than TOG. There is a role for both magazines.

I don't see any competition between TOG and TC. I don't see us pulling from the same resources. I do see many areas where we can collaborate and support each other.

I haven't seen the FTF Geocacher magazine, so I don't know anything about it. All of my spare cash goes into doing volunteer disaster relief (that's gotta be the most expensive hobby there is!) so I don't buy subscription magazines. I invited them to send in a story about their magazine and offered to publish it and put a link to it in TOG. They haven't sent anything. I and TOG will support their effort as well as Today's Cacher and anyone else willing to make the effort to write about this great game.

Yes, there is 'room' and a market for more than one geocaching magazine.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

FTF Geocacher seems to be actively scouting material from the blogging community instead of sitting back waiting for volunteers. Many mainstream publications also get/buy content from bloggers and polish it up a bit. There's no lack of content out there, and many bloggers are willing to share their content for free just to get the publicity.

I folded? That's news to me!

The Online Geocacher has published over 200 geocaching stories, gets quite a large readership according to my website analytics, and continues to serve as the ony free and ad-free geocaching publication.

No, neither TAR nor TOG have folded!

I folded? That's news to me!

The Online Geocacher has published over 200 geocaching stories, gets quite a large readership according to my website analytics, and continues to serve as the ony free and ad-free geocaching publication.

No, neither TAR nor TOG have folded!

Hahaha, I'm sorry, I meant TC. I've been breathing in too much DEET this month. :P

I'm sure I would not be alone in my disappointment if you folded, TAR!

See post #10. :P

You have never sent anything for publication in The Online Geocacher.

You never sent anything for publication in Today's Cacher.

As far as I know you've never sent anything for publication in FTF Geocacher.

So, while I respect your right to tell us how we should operate, please pardon me if I don't take it too seriously! :P

Thank you.

So, while I respect your right to tell us how we should operate, please pardon me if I don't take it too seriously! :P

FYI, I didn't tell anyone how to operate anything.

My comments were based on previous threads asking for volunteers.

Apparently there is plenty of manpower and volunteers.

So good luck to El Diablo in his recruiting efforts. I look forward to Today's Cacher's reemergence.

Isn't that enough?

I wonder if they should only offer one kind of GPS?

Isn't that enough?

I wonder if they should only offer one kind of GPS?

If there were a shortage manpower for research and development or a shortage of parts to build them, then maybe.

It is clear that there are tons of people willing to volunteer time to both projects so there is no issue.

Again, I look forward to reading the revised Today's Cacher.

Good luck, El Diablo.

Let me just say that I was wrong.

I based my comments on apparently old and outdated information.

It was my recollection that Today's Cacher ceased production because they couldn't keep enough volunteers to keep the magazine going.

TAR then started up The Online Geocacher to help fill the void.

I thought I remembered him having difficulty getting people to submit material.

I was concerned that if El Diablo restarted TC that it might pull resources from TOG, which is a great site to read articles.

TAR has expressed that this is not the case. He has stated they have no issues.

Narcissa has stated that there are plenty of bloggers supplying material.

Therefore, El Diablo should have no problems getting the volunteers he needs WITHOUT adversely affecting The Online Geocacher.

So, I was WRONG and I hope El Diablo can get his magazine back up and running soon.

...If there is enough volunteer manpower to support 2 magazines, then great.

The Online Geocacher is owned by catsnfish. I volunteer a bit of time as the putative editor-in-chief. When a geocacher sends us a story one of us publishes it. That's it. TOG is not ever going to be any more than that...just a fun free place for geocachers to share their stories. Except for some minor spelling and grammar corrections I publish the stories the way the writer tells them - their stories in their words. We do not have staff writers (or a staff!) nor do we assign topics or do all the things a normal magazine does.

What El Diablo wants to do with Today's Cacher is quite different. Some will find having an editor who actually edits quite refreshing. TC will be more outreaching to gather topical articles. TC, if its original incarnation is any indication, will be quite different than TOG. There is a role for both magazines.

I don't see any competition between TOG and TC. I don't see us pulling from the same resources. I do see many areas where we can collaborate and support each other.

I haven't seen the FTF Geocacher magazine, so I don't know anything about it. All of my spare cash goes into doing volunteer disaster relief (that's gotta be the most expensive hobby there is!) so I don't buy subscription magazines. I invited them to send in a story about their magazine and offered to publish it and put a link to it in TOG. They haven't sent anything. I and TOG will support their effort as well as Today's Cacher and anyone else willing to make the effort to write about this great game.

Market? What market?

Market? What market?

Good question!

We're all pondering that one.

I don't think there is much of one. I thought geocachers would flock to The Online Geocacher since it is free and ad-free and dedicated to geocacher's stories. We do not editorialize and avoid the angsty topics that are battled out about how to play the game. We just publish geocacher's stories. Who would not want to read and write for such a magazine? Evidently quite a lot of people! Yes, we have enough readers and writers to keep me satisfied that it is worth doing, but by the same token the magazine's acceptance has been low enough to convince me that investing a single dollar in it as a profit-driven subscription magazine would be a real loser of a business investment. When I started TOG I looked at the investment in monthly hosting as my gift to the geocaching community. When catsnfish took it over he adopted that same attitude. We enjoy publishing it and do not look for a return on investment, therefore other than as a matter of pride we don't care how many folks read it... if any geocachers read and enjoy it then our mission is successful. The size of the market is therefore irrelevant to us. That's not an approach that a for-profit magazine can take.

Can Today's Cacher build a magazine that geocachers value enough to pay for? Is there in fact a market for subscription magazines? Would advertisers value that market enough to pay for ad space? There's really no way to find out but to put it out there and see!

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Market? What market?

Can Today's Cacher build a magazine that geocachers value enough to pay for? Is there in fact a market for subscription magazines? Would advertisers value that market enough to pay for ad space? There's really no way to find out but to put it out there and see!

I have no intention of charging cacher for the magazine. I also have no intentions of selling subscriptions. Is there a market for advertising? Probably in the future.

My goal is to bring back Today's Cacher as it was in the beginning. A well put together publication that cachers around the world enjoyed reading. A magazine that focuses on current topics and interest of the community.

So far I've had a few volunteers, but we need a lot more if we are going to make this happen. I won't attempt to bring this back unless I have a full and dedicated team.

El Diablo

It never went away did it? According to your website it hasn't. I've spent the last 4 years of my life making sure peopleknow about it, and spent most of that time making people submit stories... Oh, wait! It is gone, which would be why you complained about people still submitting stories... Ah! Now I finally get it. You need to update your website, instead of saying, "we are back again" say, "we are not back, stop the messages."

There are many ways to have a positive impact on our caching hobby. Placing quality caches, sharing tips and tricks, sharing your experience and experiences, whether helping new cachers or writing for one of the publications or a personal blog. Even showing encouragement and praise for those that place the caches and share the tips and experiences can have a great impact for ongoing contributions from these cachers.

Today's Cacher was my first exposure to a cache magazine and what a great effort it was. Since it was no longer active, I looked around for other publications. when I found The Online Geocacher one of the stories prompted me to share a similar experience. It went on from there because I found it was fun to write and have my stories published and it is a natural extension of the online logging of caches. After the first few stories, I began to feel the magazine was something I truly wanted to support and the best way was to contribute, and I did. I encouraged others to contribute and they did. When TAR decided to pass the magazine to a new owner I was honored to be able to continue it. As Tar stated in an earlier post, TOG is a way for us to give back to the community.

If you have read the archived articles of Today's Cacher and thought it was a great magazine and wished it was still being published, here is your chance to be a part of that. I am almost certain that within a very short period of time you will glow with pride, that your skills and experience have combined with others to create a great magazine. In time your efforts will encourage others to volunteer as well. Step up, you'll be glad you did!

I'll be glad you did!

Make a positive impact on our hobby, support the publications!

Isn't that enough?

El Diablo

Not to mention the different projects! Speaking as someone who buys woodcarving magazines from USA, UK and Australia, you can never have too many inspirations and ideas! Yeah - someone will read them all.

As for me personally, I'd like to see a magazine article each issue which shows you step by step how to make a particular type of camouflaged container. ...but then I'm a crafty person. ;)

Isn't that enough?

El Diablo

Not to mention the different projects! Speaking as someone who buys woodcarving magazines from USA, UK and Australia, you can never have too many inspirations and ideas! Yeah - someone will read them all.

As for me personally, I'd like to see a magazine article each issue which shows you step by step how to make a particular type of camouflaged container. ...but then I'm a crafty person. B)

Step up. Volunteer to write those articles! :laughing:

Market? What market?

I have no intention of charging cacher for the magazine. I also have no intentions of selling subscriptions. Is there a market for advertising? Probably in the future.

My goal is to bring back Today's Cacher as it was in the beginning. A well put together publication that cachers around the world enjoyed reading. A magazine that focuses on current topics and interest of the community.

So far I've had a few volunteers, but we need a lot more if we are going to make this happen. I won't attempt to bring this back unless I have a full and dedicated team.

El Diablo

My apologies to El Diablo re my subscription comments! I should have checked with him before assuming that the reborn TC would be a subscription magazine. :laughing:

Isn't that enough?

El Diablo

As for me personally, I'd like to see a magazine article each issue which shows you step by step how to make a particular type of camouflaged container. ...but then I'm a crafty person. :laughing:

Step up. Volunteer to write those articles! :)

Hmmm... not a bad idea.