Masonic Scottish Rite Geocoin

GeoPromotions

I recently manufactured my own geocoin. I am an ebay seller of other type products and recently became interested in Geocaching. I am a neewbie but I am loving it. So I recently decided to make my own coin and sell a few in hopes of recuperating my costs of making the product. So I hope everyone likes the coin and it's design. Only 25 Gold pieces were made and i just listed the first one to the public. Feel free to tell me your thoughts.

<indirect link removed by moderator>

Edited by Eartha

OP may not be a geocacher but s/he does have a prolific little business going selling all manner of masonic doodads and in this case has produced what looks like a geocoin. Others have done so before and will do so again. It's not against the rules to post geocoin auction pages on Ebay so long as they are trackable on Gc.com.

I am not trying to start problems here. I happen to be an approved manufacturer of GeoCoins via GP.com and have recently become knowledgeable of this product when I was researching stuff on eBay. Geocaching has become my new hobby, which I have less experience than most. Since I do sell unrelated items on eBay, it wasn't hard for me to make a geocoin. Yes, they are trackable on this site. I may or may not make more geocoins in the future. I just thought this would be a fun thing to do. I plan on placing these items in some caches and sell some to pay for the cost of making them.

Feel free to check it out on my ebay site. Just search Masonic Geocoin on eBay to see pics.

I hope everyone likes my design.

I think it's fine. It's a nice design and I bet there will be a market amongst Masons. I've no problems with people trying to make a buck -- that's what business is about, anyway. And it's nice that this persons puts an announcement here so that the collectors can take a look. Thank you!

I am a Mason. I think it's a great design and happy to see it, and have the opportunity to buy it. Even considering buying two, one to travel and one to keep.

I thought part of the Geocoin forum was to allow people to sell coins. I have no problems with it, and is why I came on here. And I don't see that you need to be a geocacher in order to design and sell coins.

Hope you don't mind answering a few questions:

1. First off you indicate you got interested in Geocaching. Is that geocaching or geocoins? The reason I ask is you have no hides of finds.

2. Did you make these coins direct with a mint or through an existing geocoin maker?

3. How many in total of this coin were made? 25 gold but what other platings and quantities were made? Trying to understand is this is really a XXLE.

4. By huge response you, you mean 2 bids or a bunch of people commenting outside the this forums or the bidding process?

5. GP.com...When did Georgia-Pacific start approving geocoin manufactures?

I am a leader in the cub scouts and recently read an article on Geocaching and plan on taking the young ones out to do their first cache. I am a collector of pins, coins and also a manufacturer for my part time business. I contacted GC.com about manufacturing my own coin and they approved me to make my own with my own factory. In other words, I am my own mint.

I only have minted 25 gold, 35 silver and 40 copper. I have all the coins in my possession and plan on placing some of them in some caches. I just got them finished on Friday so I haven't had much time to go out and put them in a cache.

Like I said, I just listed my first coin on Friday night and I have had a about 50 emails from eBay asking about this item. I guess I would consider this a huge response, but maybe I am wrong and that isn't too much. I guess maybe others get a larger response to this sort of thing.

Please educate me on this. What is considered a XXLE geocoin? Since you have to order a minimum of 50 codes per design, I guess I would consider that a highly limited quantity. Especially 25 gold plated coins.

Edited by GeoPromotions

Please educate me on this. What is considered a XXLE geocoin? Since you have to order a minimum of 50 codes per design, I guess I would consider that a highly limited quantity. Especially 25 gold plated coins.

Kind of expensive to mint just 100 coins but if you do it yourself, then that might help. I am always concerned with quality of the product when someone new comes in to sell here. I would like to touch a feel a coin of your and other new vendors before I start buying from them.

As for the terminology, check out this thread. Geocoin Terminology Thread

LE and XLE especially. In a run or 100 I think the consensus was 20% or less LE, 10% or less XLE. So XXLE would be less then that. These numbers maybe the gold is LE and the other 2 are regular additional but that is just my opinion.

Good luck.

Kind of expensive to mint just 100 coins but if you do it yourself, then that might help. I am always concerned with quality of the product when someone new comes in to sell here. I would like to touch a feel a coin of your and other new vendors before I start buying from them.

As for the terminology, check out this thread. Geocoin Terminology Thread

LE and XLE especially. In a run or 100 I think the consensus was 20% or less LE, 10% or less XLE. So XXLE would be less then that. These numbers maybe the gold is LE and the other 2 are regular additional but that is just my opinion.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply. I see what you mean. To be safe I will just call them LE or maybe XLE for the gold. I appreciate the help.

Your coin looks well made. Good luck with it. I don't believe you should have to be a cacher to mint a geocoin. Many lodges have minted coins over the centuries. As long as a design is approved by Groundspeak and the coin is not made out of enriched uranium I don't see an issue. I am surprised it took so long for a Scottish Rite themed geocoin to appear considering that Rite is how most Americans enter Freemasonry. You should release a few coins with different masonic themed missions like visiting some of the impressive lodges that are dotted throughout the U.S. I am not a member but have always found the lodges happy to welcome visitors. I enjoy looking at the different themed rooms, especially those done in a Egyptian or Greek style.

Well my first caching experience happened this morning. I tried to locate three caches in my city with no luck. they were supposed to be easy. I will be going out this afternoon again to find one that I gave up on. I had my two year old son with me and the hike was too steep to get to so I had to turn back. I will go up alone today and find it for sure.

I plan on placing two special items in this cache:

1. Unactivated/trackable Copper Plated LE45 Masonic Scottish Rite Geocoin

2. A pair of Geocaching Cufflinks

To see what I will be placing please see this link. Once they are placed I will return and let everyone know which location it was placed.

Good luck and sorry to those who do not living in the area to hunt for one.

Edited by Eartha

Unfortunately I spent all weekend searching for the caches in my area with no luck to place one of my new coins.

FYI: I have just listed the Copper and Silver Edition Coins on eBay along with the Gold Edition. Check them out:

Edited by Eartha

Unfortunately I spent all weekend searching for the caches in my area with no luck to place one of my new coins.

FYI: I have just listed the Copper and Silver Edition Coins on eBay along with the Gold Edition. Check them out:

Welcome. Geocoins are lucrative, but they are also a passionate hobby for many of us. I hesitate to embrace yet another non-geocacher and coin minter who found their way to our forums via ebay. My hope is you find a fun home here and you come to enjoy geocoins as much as the rest of us. :)

Edited by Eartha