Danger Will Robinson

WingArcher

That little "must read" notice is quite accurate, and you really should read it! I was looking for a chiseled square and a copper bolt today along an abandoned railroad (now the Genesee Valley Greenway) this afternoon. They were described to be on a stone culvert under the tracks, etc. etc. Turns out that part of the culvert had washed out (eliminating the bolt, but not the square..) a while ago. The wash out created a really big sink hole that was *right* beside the path, and completely obscured by grass. I stepped off the path, took one step, and fell right in. I caught myself on the way down with my arms (dumb luck) and got out the easy way. I measured afterwards and the hole was over 8 feet deep! I'm fine, just got rather dirty. But, really, be careful. The controls that seem like they're "right there" just like the others I've found aren't always "right there"!!

Thats right, there are a lot of booby traps out there. Its always a good idea to tell someone where you are going and when you intend to be back. Railroad right-of-way is not public right-of-way and the railroads have been known to prosecute trespassers. Its also a good idea to wear snake leggings in such areas this time of year.