A cacher's camera

I love DSLRs, the picture quality is amazing!

That said, I don't like to take it caching because of the size, and I'm kinda worried that if I biff, I'll destroy it.

I just take my cheap vivitar, a little pocket sized one. I wouldn't be heartbroken if it broke in a tragic fall down a mountainside, and it doesn't take up too much space in my caching bag.

However....well... just look at my photo gallery...kinda average quality.

A geocaching camera should be cheap and thin. At least, thin enough to fit in a jacket pocket easily. And cheap enough that if it gets lost, soaked or destroyed I wouldn't be horribly upset to need to replace it. In principle, I prefer rechargeable AA batteries over proprietary Lithium types, but the lithium-ion types can be made into thiner and lighter cameras. So for my caching camera I went with in Li-ion battery type.

I lucked into a fantastic Polaroid for $70 from a deal-of-the-day site. Not super tiny like some of the more expensive brands, but thin enough. I carry it around with me all the time. It takes great pictures and it's easier to use than my older, more expensive, bulkier Canon.

I use a small Kodak snapshot digital (830?) I got at Staples on sale a year or so ago... takes great pics,I only added a 2G sd card and turned down the resolution... now use pics of about 1.? meg and get lots more with little loss, unless you are going to really crop and blow up, you don't need full blown res.

Works for me, I haven't used the 35mm film since I got it.

Doug

There is a new droid phone that has a built in 8mp camera.

I'm all about maximizing abilities while minimizing gadgets, weight and bulk.

Drop it in a creek just once and there goes your phone, your GPS, and your camera.

I have a Pentax WP30. It's water proof. I know someone that has one that he wears on a kayaking helmet to shoot video while he's paddling (which includes being upside down on occasion). It's fairly durable because the lens doesn't extend out but instead retracts into the body of the camera. It takes good photos in a variety of conditions.

Depends on how important the photos are to you. I carry what was Nikon's entry-level DSLR -- the D-40 -- and I've beaten the heck out of it. It's taken tons of abuse and still gives me awesome pictures.

I don't know what their entry-level model is now, but I bet it's splendid.

The price of a good point and shoot and an entry-level DSLR are pretty close, or were when I was doing the mental math. And the latter is just going to be better -- you have to make quality sacrifices to get a slim profile camera body.

I have a Pentax K200 DSLR. The disadvantage is size and weight on long hikes. The advantage is a VIEWFINDER!! I'll carry this when we do caches on a road trip route.

So I also have a Kodak DX3900. Smaller, lightweight, and a VIEWFINDER!! Great for tossing in the backpack and taking out into the wild, rougher areas.

I see many with the typical inexpensive point and shoot camera and the biggest complaint I've heard is trying to see what is in the lcd display when the sun is out. So it's sorta aim in the right direction, try to see what is in the display, push the button and hope for the best.

So my advice is, no matter what you get.... get one with a viewfinder.

I'd with something small and light weight. After my most recent purchase, I would add that a flat base is very important. My cameras base is not so flat and it takes me 30 minutes to get it balanced enough so I can set the timer and get a shot of myself.

We use our regular DSC-H2 camera while we cache. It's big enough that it requires its own bag to be carried in. It's also big enough that we look fairly intimidating while using it and not like a random tourist who's taking pictures. The camera was dropped by my dad while taking pictures of the Olympic Torch Relay in February (CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO!) and continues to work fine.

It wouldn't work well for someone who want's something small and can be slipped into a pocket, but we don't mind a little extra bulk to be able to take good pictures.

I love DSLRs, the picture quality is amazing!

That said, I don't like to take it caching because of the size, and I'm kinda worried that if I biff, I'll destroy it.

I agree with the above statement, but caching takes me so many neat places that having a camera with most of the time makes it more enjoyable for me (and I think cache owners and fellow cachers)

I totally recommend the Canon Powershot cameras, the Image Stabilization really improved quality of all my point and shoot shots over previous cameras. I stuff an a570 in my geobag or even pocket and try to take time to shoot...glad that if it goes missing it can be replaced for around $100

Also recently I found you can install some opensource software on a chip and get advanced DSLR like function from your Canon point and Shoot (check before you buy a new camera, not all models are supported)

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

I did this and now can play with features like bracketing, HDR and remote control

I totally recommend the Canon Powershot cameras, the Image Stabilization really improved quality of all my point and shoot shots over previous cameras. I stuff an a570 in my geobag or even pocket and try to take time to shoot...glad that if it goes missing it can be replaced for around $100

Also recently I found you can install some opensource software on a chip and get advanced DSLR like function from your Canon point and Shoot (check before you buy a new camera, not all models are supported)

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

I did this and now can play with features like bracketing, HDR and remote control

My current caching camera is a PowerShot A590 IS. It's not a bad all-around camera, and I have experimented with CHDK. Thing is, it's neither fish nor fowl for a geocaching camera. It's not as portable as an Ixus, and lacks the picture quality of an EOS. It's too complicated for a point-and-shoot, but lacks high-end features (some of which CHDK can provide.)

My own thinking along these lines is that I want a small camera that's weatherproof (it doesn't have to be waterproof to 15 meters), easy to set up and operate (like a point-and-shoot), and offers good picture quality.

With the 590, I ignore the bulk, try to keep it dry, use Program mode with as many automatic settings as I can, and get close to my subjects. Sometimes they get spooked and fly or run away. Fortunately, trees can't run.

So I guess I'm looking for a weatherproof Ixus/Exilim/Coolpix. Anyone have any experience with those?

I have a couple of Panasonic Lumix digitals. One is a compact super-zoom that I use for travel photography and the other is a little one that's easy to throw in the geo-bag. Both are 10 megapixel, take great pictures and both are highly rated.

Panasonic has a compact DMC-TS1 http://gizmodo.com/5139949/waterproof-pana...digital-cameras and a TS2. They are waterproof, shockproof and dust-proof. They look good for our purposes as they are designed for rugged outdoor use.

Edited by bikebill77

I use my balckberry for paperless caching.

has the GPS, to get me there, the internet to look at all the logs/hints photos, phone when i get lost and a camera............

ed398ec0-ac67-4673-9c27-01996b55cf7c.jpg

taken yesterday at GC1DJYH - ruff guide to pond dipping (which turned out to be a DNF) you can see that its even captured the splash from the bread that has just hit the water

Edited by Broken-Bones

Well I have a Canon DSLR which I love to bits - but I find it kind of large to carry around caching all day.

So I've gone for a Canon Ixus 100 IS - which is tiny, but still takes great photos, fits in my pocket easily and I have a tiny (Cost me a whole £1 - mini tripod - about 3 inches long) and if it rains a lot i can stuck it in a polythene bag in my backpack.

I've had two earlier Powershots as well, one of which I still use (Carefully!) when I go out kayaking.

My Flickr page

I have a Pentax K200 DSLR. The disadvantage is size and weight on long hikes. The advantage is a VIEWFINDER!! I'll carry this when we do caches on a road trip route.

So I also have a Kodak DX3900. Smaller, lightweight, and a VIEWFINDER!! Great for tossing in the backpack and taking out into the wild, rougher areas.

I see many with the typical inexpensive point and shoot camera and the biggest complaint I've heard is trying to see what is in the lcd display when the sun is out. So it's sorta aim in the right direction, try to see what is in the display, push the button and hope for the best.

So my advice is, no matter what you get.... get one with a viewfinder.

Many retailers (Walmart) sell a neat little stick-on flip-up sun shade that goes over the LCD. It really helps see the screen in bright conditions!

If you want something small that fits in a pocket, but is good quality, I think that the Cannon Powershot series is awesome. Depending on which one you buy (the thinner ones), they seem to run $100 - $300.

I've got the Cannon Powershot A1100IS, and I absolutely LOVE it! It is so popular that when I found a floor clerk at Best Buy and said that I wanted to look at a camera, she asked, "Which one... the A1100?"

The autofocus is amazing and focuses down to macro distances. The flash is smart enough in automatic mode to not overexpose those macros. It will wait until you are in the picture before taking the picture of you at that virtual, too. It uses the same AA NiMH batteries as my 60GSx, too.

The only flaws that I can think of are is the LCD screen (but they all have that these days) and not being an SLR (too heavy, bulky, and fragile)

I, my wife, and most of my friends have the Canon SD Powershot series of cameras. They are small (about the side of a deck of cards), tough, and take great photos. I have personally had several models of this line over the past 5-6 years, and I have never been disappointed. I currently have the SD1000, my wife just upgraded to the SD1400. Both are fantasic.

Although for its size it is a great camera, and has decent zoom capabilites, it is not the best choice if you want to take long distance shots. However for a great "capture the moment" camera, with the ability to take excellent short/medium range photos, you can't beat this camera.

I am sure there are other excellent cameras of this type, but this one has proven itself over time, and I wouldn't buy another one without some serious convincing.

Cheers

Dave

Canon EOS40D, but then I am an amateur photographer as well. The drawback is the weight, but if you want great photos then it does the job, and you never know when you will see the perfect sunset. However, I am toying with the idea of getting an Olympus Pen as well, much easier to carry around.

Also, having a large, serious-looking camera is a great cover for acting goofy in public.

Or... draw a ton of unwanted attention to yourself! ;)

I have a Nikon D80 with a vertical grip & a couple (large) lenses I carry & routinely use while on caching treks. I have a waterproof backpack bag for it that i carry my extra stuff in and, have a Pentax W90 that's usually clipped to it for everything else.

The Pentax has proven to be a great little camera so far, 12mp, waterproof, shockproof, droppable (not to be tested any time soon i hope). It's small enough to skip in my pocket when it's the only camera i'm taking & it will shoot 720p video. It's a little pricey relative to many other P&S cameras, but to put it into perspective, it's worth WAY less than my DSLR.

I'm surprised no one has yet to mention the Tough range of cameras from Olympus. There are many types for various degrees of toughness but esentially : Waterproof, drop proof, freezeproof, crushproof.

Perfect for the geocacher with slippery fingers. Its relatively small too.

We have 3 of them in our family, one for each child and they all take it along on our caching trips.

TB

Edited by btonyb

If you want something small that fits in a pocket, but is good quality, I think that the Cannon Powershot series is awesome. Depending on which one you buy (the thinner ones), they seem to run $100 - $300.

IMHO, you cannot go wrong with a Canon. I'm on my second Powershot, the rest of my family has had at least 2 each. I'm probably moving up to a dSLR soon, at which point my Powershot will probably take up residence in my car and/or cache bag to take on the trail with me.

I've used a variety of digital cameras and each have had their strengths and weaknesses.

Kodak Zi6 is my standard caching camera. Takes astounding close-ups of small wildflowers, ticks, etc. So-so for panoramic or view shots as there's some sort of banding thing going on which loses detail.

Nikon D70s, for when I absolutely must have the best picture I can take. Great shots, but bulky and heavy. Often find myself fighting with it, trying to get it to be as simple and functional as my old FE-2 (why do digital cameras have to be so **** complicated!) It can be infuriatingly stupid, too - wanting flash in daylight, focusing on the wrong thing, too many menus to surf to do something which was basic on an FE-2, etc.

Nikon CoolPix 800 - A dinosaur of digital cameras, by now, but extremely versatile. Can macro from wide angle to short telephoto quite easily. A bit bigger and heavier than most digital cameras now, but takes AA cells and Compact Flash, which can be found almost anywhere. I run it on NiMH cells and it does pretty good in a pinch. Fairly rugged, which is a good thing when geocaching. Not bad for a 10 year old digital camera.

Edited by DragonsWest

has the GPS, to get me there, the internet to look at all the logs/hints photos, phone when i get lost and a camera............

taken yesterday at GC1DJYH - ruff guide to pond dipping (which turned out to be a DNF) you can see that its even captured the splash from the bread that has just hit the water

That may be OK for a quick snapshot to add interest to the log, but as photos go, that's an excellent argument for not making a Crackberry your primary camera if you want high-quality photos of your caching expeditions. Had that come out of my Canon A2000, I would be running for the lens cleaner, double-checking that the camera is operating properly, triple-checking all my settings to make sure it's not hosed, and deleting the image.

That may be OK for a quick snapshot to add interest to the log, but as photos go, that's an excellent argument for not making a Crackberry your primary camera if you want high-quality photos of your caching expeditions. Had that come out of my Canon A2000, I would be running for the lens cleaner, double-checking that the camera is operating properly, triple-checking all my settings to make sure it's not hosed, and deleting the image.

That's about par for many mobile cameras. The one in my mobile phone does about the same. The Kodak Zi6 takes similar shots. While the resolution is high, the quality is very low - appearing banded or blotchy.

This is where having a camera which is designed and built to be a camera only is often your best bet.

Note: These pictures are actually fine, if you scale them down to about 500 pixels in Photoshop (or other good quality photo editting software), masking some of the image problems.

Edited by DragonsWest
I love to take photos while caching. I'm thinking about getting a new one, with caching in mind.

What qualities do you think make a good caching camera? What camera should I get?

I think it depends on what you're using the camera for. Are you taking pictures incidental to caching? Or are you enjoying photography along side geocaching?

I have a Canon S3 and really like the capabilities of it the super zoom. However, the wife doesn't like me stopping all the time to take pictures, so it becomes a weight around my neck. It also sometimes gets in the way when it's time to scramble over and under stuff.

Not only am I thinking of upgrading to the new line of Canon super zooms, I'm also looking at something the Canon S90. While I'm loathe to go with something that doesn't take AA batteries, it's much more likely to be on me when an opportunity arises. After all, like a gun, a knife, or host of other things, the best one is the one you have at hand. I does not good if you've left it in the truck.

Think about how you carry your stuff: a small pouch, a vest (VOMP), courier bag, back pack. If photos are incidental to caching, size the camera to always be with you--maybe not even unpacked. Oh, and AA batteries. If you're always futzing with a camera then Li-Ion batteries aren't that big a deal.

If you're doing mostly easy hiking and little scrambling, and take a lot of photos, then you're likely to be carrying the camera a lot more, so a larger camera is an option. Also good if you find yourself taking a lot of pictures on the spur of the moment and need to take a shot now.

Once you figure all of that out, Steve's Digicam site is a good place to look around.

Hope this helps.

We have a very compact Canon Ixus 100 IS (don´t know the north american namn), that is used often then caching. Very small physical size and decent pictures, but not very fun to take pictures with. The results can be OK: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/29462719

I do prefer my Canon 30D (i know it´s old, but I don´t need more), especially when used with my Canon 17-55/2.8 IS. The problem is the weight: about 1.5 kilos. I often want the 50-150 lens and the flash, and what´s a heavy burden.

Get a camera that isn´t to cumbersome. A camera not used takes no good pictures at all.

But it is in reality as Ryuchan wrote above: a good photographer can make good use of almost everything that takes a picture. But I´m a little negative to the "surveyor camera" in my Nautiz X7 PDA. I have good photographic education, does photo jobs now and then, but the Nautiz camera need good use of every bit of knowledge I have: http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/d0758d...23939c9c763.jpg

Stylus Tough-8010 Digital Camera (Silver)

14-Megapixel, 28mm 5X Optical Zoom, 2.7" LCD Screen, 2GB Internal Memory,

Waterproof to 33', Shockproof to 6.6' , Crushproof to 220 lbs of Pressure, Freezeproof to 14 Degrees F Tap Control HD Video

B&H # OLST8010S Mfr # 227660

Have one of these, small, and indestructable.

I was on the subway in NYC last week and saw an ad for a Panasonic camera with a GPS built in. They have a model (Lumix TS2Y) that is shockproof, waterproof, and very compact. Unfortunately, the MSRP is around $400.

Two thoughts:

#1, no one pays MSRP.

#2, that camera has many more "sensitive" components, including the optics, and at least as many electronics as your GPS, which probably also listed at $400 at some point. And it's seemingly as rugged as your GPS.

$400 (list) sounds like a decent price for the package, although the lens is a bit small for my tastes.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pana...onic_dmcts2.asp for specs.

I take my Canon DSLR and a couple of lenses on any cache hike that I expect to be particularly photogenic - I have a Lowepro backpack which has an area for the camera and lenses in the bottom, and space for other stuff (caching swag, water, snacks, raincoat) in the top. It does me proud.

For less photo-centric expeditions I have a Fuji Finepix, or sometimes I just use the camera on my phone.

Photography has taken over my passion for geocaching. I take nature photography pretty serious, and wouldn't be happy with a snap shot. I scaled the side of a steep slope with two kids, and my trusty D90 around my neck yesterday, for one cache. The wildflowers (especially the endangered one) were quite the caching highlight for me. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2b-b83979610237

acf59669-27cd-4372-8150-a6e59e3e7b67.jpg

b210db09-e66e-4b61-a77f-f00c61dab4db.jpg

4c2092fd-0401-4741-9ddb-8ad5a8d6b843.jpg

Edited by Kit Fox